Imperial Fist, First Company

ChampionofDorn88

Hello!

Long time Lurker here, now taking his first toe dip into making a Horus Heresy Army.

What i would like, is to present an idea to you, and for your expert oppinion on whether A) Its fluffy enough, and cool.png People who know the Heresy would look at it and say "This..is cool"

But first, let me provide you with some unnecessary back ground so you can see where i am coming from with this.

I normally, and locally, run Nurgle CSM. I have a smattering or other armies, and even other Chaos. But Nurgle has been my mainstay since 4th edition. Its tried, and tested, and i know it like the back of my hand. I literally need the Codex for the Boon chart, and sometimes Warlord when im like "Sugar, whats number 2?"

But, locally again, there has been a few events recently, large scale and small scale. And i am mopping up completely. This sounds big headed, and i appreciate that. But seriously, i havnt lost a game since Febuary. And my friends and memebers of my local gaming club are like "PLEASE DO ANOTHER ARMY". At first i just ignored it, and just thought i was being lucky, i mean im no tournament played, my list changes all the time to make it more random and fun, but oh well.

Anyway, i am now at that point where i want to try something else. I have looked around for ages at a new army, a Xeno army, a loyalist army, a CSM army, Guard, even Knights. Even Mechanicus.

Then i got some sage advice from the local GW manager who said "What do you want out of this new army? Is it to win, No? Ok then is to Play with? Yes. Ok, so do you want it to be a fairly decent hobby project? Ok, do you want it to look awesome? Ok, so what armies look the best?"

Thats definitely 30k Marines.

So now i am here with my idea for an army.

Its the Imperial Fists 1st company, led my Sigismund, extensive use of Termies and Vets.

My plan, is to make it 40k friendly, so i can use it in local tournaments. Also, to make it look like that EPIC colour scheme from Extermination, the Yellow arm and rest Silver and Black Vet scheme.

Something like that. Suggestions on how to achieve the army? Good units or combos to use? Good conversions? Good kits to use?

Thanks for reading, i know it was long. You should have a Campaign Marker for it.

This is cool :) I don't see any problem with doing a Sigismund's company of IF.

Modelling wise, I'm very much looking forward a full Black / yellow army of 30k IF. They will definitly look awesome at that scale.

The only thing that I wouldn't agree on is doing it 40k friendly from the beginning. Of course any 30k army can be turned to 40k friendly quite easily once you've got enough models. And I understand the will to be able to play it immediatly in the local scene.

But, for me, a 30k army is before anything a good opportunity to make something different from 40k. Jetbikes, breachers, special weapons squads, a lot of different HQ, awesome tanks, etc. To limit it from the begining to something compatible is a constraint imho.

For the kits, I think Mk III tacticals, breachers and HQ are perfect. Terminators also (I prefer cataphractii, but again ymmv).

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the feedback, good to know someone else likes the idea!!

Well in terms of being playable for 40k, the reason is, I have been asked as of yesterday to take part in a new 4 month Campaign, and i voted for Imperial side (knowing i would do this) Rather than have to go into Traitor and then probably get slagged off haha.

I havnt even begun to look at basic lists yet. But Breacher Marines (Although awesome) Will be a month 2/3 purchase. I am thinking coupld squads of Tacticals, some Vets (Sternguard equivalent), Terminators, Vehicles obviously and then probably a Dread or two?

Needs fleshing out I think.

Termies are a good bet I'd say, as IF's are the only ones that have access to assault cannons and storm shields in 30k, so you can happily run them in both settings (providing you make your storm bolters look like combi bolters, or vice versa). Indomitus pattern is perfectly valid (regular looking termies) in 30k as well, and would probably fit that the fists were getting all the cool new kit.

Vet's in mk4/5/6 plate (siege of terra time frame) ,I'm thinking of the sternguard box here, are also another good option for using in both settings. Also means you can take the Pride of the legion rite of war, making them troop choices along with your termies.

Vindicators would be another good dual setting unit (no siege shield in 30k mind)

Then bare bones tacticals (as 30k tacticals don't take special or heavy weapons) and a 5man heavy support squad all rocking the same choice of weapon.

That would get you an army that'll work in both settings, but not great in either, if you see what I mean. As mentioned previously, if you want to do 30k, you want to go full 30k!

Obviously contemptors if you can (depending on how forgeworld friendly your group is).

Hope this helps, and most importantly, have fun!!

Well. After just doing some shopping and stuff, i am now settling down to list build.

I am not THAT bothered about my win to lose ratio, as i said, but i am not up for getting wiped off the board every turn.

So, just loosely, i am thinking.

Sigismund
With a group of Cataphractii Termies, All with Storm Shields (Because why not), and then mostly Power Fists. Maybe a Reaper Autocannon or something.
Inside a Land Raider.

In terms of Troops, Templar Brethren. Maybe 1 large squad, with an Apothecary.  And then 2 smaller Units.
If i use Sigismund, do i still have to take Breacher Squads as troops using the Rite of War? If so, then 2 units of them, if not, then sod them.

1 Heavy Weapon Squad with Lascannons, because they get Tank Hunter Right?

1 Contemptor with Duel Assault Cannons

Sicaran.

That should probably bring me in the realm of my points target, maybe over, might have been over zealous.

Any suggestions?

Firstly what is your points target? Secondly, I wouldn't recommend SS on all the termies, if using Cataphractii I wouldn't use any tbh as you gain +1 to your invul but at a VERY high cost in points - if you go for SS I'd say use Tartaros/Indomitus termies as the bonus to invul is higher and you can still sweeping advance which is far more important when facing 40k armies.

You never HAVE to use a right of war, they are entirely optional as they all have their benefits and drawbacks included - so if you want to run a force which has Vets and Terminators (and some other unique units) as troops you can do but you would then need a RoW (in this case Pride of the Legion), also I believe that Templars are Elites, if so I don't think you have 2 troops as your minimum (I may be wrong so please correct me as I'm not near my copy of LACAL). Either way I am excited to see this project develop.

Just a quick observation, but in Extermination aren't the Templar Brethren stated to be the Imperial Fist's 1st company? Which kinda limits your options if you want 'pure' 1st Company.

Russ Brother, Terminator's can't sweep anyway, regardless of whether they wear Catapharctii or Tartaros/Indomitus armour.

Also, Sigismund makes Templars Troops I believe.

Hmm, well that sucks. I want to use Heavy Support. Will just pain them in regular colours. I like the Assault and The rest of them, but i dont want the army to be 1 dimensional again.

And thats a good point about the SS, and also, spoils the awesome aesthetic of the Cataphractii armour. So what would people suggest? Combi Bolter and PF?

To paraphrase Extermination:

Templar Brethren are the Guardians of the Temple of Oaths, but these dauntless warriors are found wherever the Imperial Fists carry the Emperor's Crusade to unify Mankind.

It doesn't state they are the sole squad type for the First Company, so, as others have stated, they can be supported by any other IF unit.

Sigismund does make them troops.

Oh my stars... a whole company of Emperor's Champion models... very nice (to look at, not sure how effective they'd be).

Just ordered from FW, After about 10 minutes of thinking if i can make it work, 2 squads of Palantine Blades, Some Imp Fist heads, a Contemptor, and the Praetors.

I have the same idea with some Phoenix Guard termies I picked up cheap on eBay, but it's going to take a hell of a lot more work than just a head swap.

Can't wait to see your efforts.

...Who's scruffy lookin'?

And yes, a hell of a lot more than a headswap. Going to have to carve off alot of detail, and then try and add that somewhere else.

Also the more i look at it, the actual blades are a bit too...elegant.. So not sure. but cant wait to get started.

Just started assembly on 10 breacher marines i have kicking about so i can test the paint scheme at least.

Archived