Back to Bikers, 7th Ed. - Conversion and equipment choices..

appiah4

Currently in the process of converting 2 Dark Vengeance bike squads, so I have a total of 6 bikers, 2 with plasmaguns..  and I'm not quite sure what to do with them.  My mind is torn between making 2 units of 3 bikes, with a Plasmagun and Combi-Plasma in each, for fast hitting mobile plasma in small points games..  or making them a single unit of 5 with 2 Plasmaguns and 1 Plasma Pistol joined by an IC (Chaplain with Maul and Fist?  Captain with Thunder Hammer?  Librarian with Axe?  Sanguinary Priest with Plasma Pistol?)

What would you do with them if you were me?

Or rather, how do you arm your Bikers in general, in 7th edition?

Shooty bikers took a bit of a hit, now that they have to choose between jinking and firing normally, however a priest would help with that.

2xplasma and mm attack bike put out reasonable damage.

Dont bother with plasma pistols on BS4 independent characters, it's just not worth it. I'd use them as a means to get characters into combat asap. So Captain with TH/SS on bike, maybe a priest/libby. 5 men.

two small points to consider. 

for a "standard" 5+1 bike squad, we're paying 30 points more (20 points more with vet tax worked in), with no ObjSec and no chapter tactics to speak of. 

This means that because we're paying this premium, I believe we need to make use of the bikers in a way that is not usually used.   

1. instead of the WhiteScar type, shoot, scoot, hit&run from combat, type approach, we need to get up in the grill of the enemy, and hope that our priests FNP bubble will help us weather the storm.  We really need FC and FNP to give this unit a little more punch.

2.  We're already paying veteran tax.  Use those attacks then.  Get a power weapon or a power fist.  The Axe will be a great addition with the priest in tow.  I think a chaplain, or a libby (though overcosted) will help buff this unit even more, and can even bounce between the bikers and the jumpers (if you have any around?).

In short, outfit them to fight as well as shoot, or else you're paying lots of points for stuff you're not using and you may as well use that squad as allies "counts as". 

Archived