simison

As a hobby writer, I greatly enjoy creating fluff through stories. And since my current project is the II Legion, I decided to write the stories here, while I work on the rules and general lore elsewhere. The first segment is currently attached to the first topic I created, which is called The Renegade Legion. Here is where I will continue it.

~~~~~~~

Gregory waited impatiently as he relayed the avalanche of reports coming to him through his small communicator currently wrapped around his ear. The balding aide was under the distinct impression he was being ignored as the Prime Minister occasionally nodded, while he put the finishing touches on his  uniform. Gregory glanced around the small ready room as his mouth instinctively spoke. Small was a relative word for this room and the rest of the mansion that was the personal home of Salim's Prime Minister. The ceiling, the walls, even the furniture were twice the size of their normal cousins on the rest of the planet. It had to be, for the Prime Minister was a giant, though he made sure there was plenty of normal-sized furniture to host the many leaders and guests he often met or entertained. Unfortunately, this room made no such accommodations for the rest of the humanity as this was Gottfri's personal ready room. A single large desk and chair were the only furniture, while most of the walls were decorated with weapons, pictures, and other keepsakes that supposedly enhanced the Prime Minister's creative desires on the days where he simply wanted to tinker.

Gregory took a moment to ignore his communicator as he asked his own question. "Sir, is it wise to choose your military uniform for this...event? You said there was nothing to fear."

"We don't," Gottfri reassured him as he finished pinning the last of his military awards, which covered both sides of his suit jacket with ribbons, seven-pointed stars, and medals. "But, until the unknown is cleared away, the people will fear this strange fleet coming towards us. They will want to know that they will be protected and what better way to show them then by physically reminding them that I am their Commander-in-Chief." The giant turned to the trusted aide. "Has the Senate convened?"

"Most of them, sir. Senators Myron and Senator Xiu haven't arrived, but their aides say they are only momentarily delayed."

"Good. Have my car waiting for me outside. I'll be leaving in a few minutes myself."

"Yes, Prime Minister," Gregory replied before hurrying out.

Alone and free of distractions, Gottfri turned his head toward the ceiling. With ease, his mind reached out and he left his ready room behind as he awareness flew through the atmosphere. As ordered, Zhon's fleet had stand down and was holding orbit above the planet. The thousands of human minds in the fleet were colored with fear, anxiety, surprise, and hope. With a thought, Gottfri passed through the fleet to study the far more interesting arrivals. Before him another sea of humanity slowly moved towards them. No. Not just humans. While there was humanity numbering in the millions stretched out before him, some of them were not quite human anymore. Thousands of minds were subtly different in a way that took Gottfri a few seconds to miss out. No fear. No hint of it. Fascinating. 

And three minds stood out like stars in the enormous cloud of human thoughts and emotions. Well, two stars and a supernova. Gottfri thought about investigating the two smaller stars, but he recognized the mind of his Father. After several decades of not knowing who his true parent was, he allowed curiosity to focus on the golden power and he hurried to it. 

Not yet, my son. All in good time.

Gottfri blinked and was surprised to see he was on the floor. The words. So few, and yet more than enough to 'gently' push him back into his body. No one had ever shown such power to him. Not even the strange xeno he had caught a decade ago. He climbed onto his feet as he analyzed the words again. He felt hints of amusement, a strong dose of determination and affection. Yet, he could detect a smidgen of disappointment. Without meaning to, he felt his second sight reaching into the future to determine the cause for the disappointment. He frowned and stopped himself. For all he knew, his Father would sense that as well and take offense to that. Still, he doubted his brush with his Father's mind was the cause of the disappointment, but what was it then?

Salim, the capital of Delos, was originally a small town in the center of the western continent Maghādvīpa. Few events had occurred in this little spot of Delos throughout the ages of mankind, which is why Gottfri chose it upon uniting the world into a unified government. There was no old blood lingering beneath the foundation to spoil the peace he had crafted after a decade of hard work. In the span of a few years, the small town was transformed into the ideal metropolis, featuring the newest technological wonders the planet had to offer. And at the heart of this new city was the Senate. Utilizing a word from ancient Terra to satisfy Sindhuans, Hellasans, and the smaller represented cultures, it was here the representatives of the planet gathered to guide and vote upon the future of Delos. The building in which they met was a large dome a mile in diameter and divided into three rings. The outer ring featured in-door gardens, restaurants, rooms for solace, and other features that allowed Senators, aides, and governmental workers to relax and interact with the common man. The middle ring housed the numerous offices, libraries, and work stations where most of the daily work of running a government was done. In the center was a vast chamber shaped into an amphitheater with the stage replaced by a platform and a large desk fit only for a being the size of the Prime Minister. Each ring was separated by boundaries of increasing security the deeper one went into the Senatorial dome. Although a web of corridors, walkways, and paths spread throughout the dome, a single path existed that went straight from the southern entrance to the main chamber. 

Today, two ranks of security personnel stood on both sides keeping the ever-growing crowd of people as Delos waited for its newest visitors to make their way down the road to the Senate proper. Gottfri waited with the Senate in the main chamber, for once, silent as he allowed the Senators whisper to one another. Normally, he kept a full awareness of each Senator's thoughts and desires. With his powerful perception, no Senator could ever hope of deceiving or conspiring against him. It saved the political process a great deal of time and effort that used to be wasted on such fools. No Senator was ever elected without first understanding that they would be sacrificing their privacy for their term of service. To be a public agent of the people, this was a small sacrifice. At least, in Gottfri's opinion. 

With such an old habit, it was taking effort to not peer into the minds of the incoming visitors. His passive sense told him there were four parties coming in in a line. In front, the blazing power of his Father's mind led three others. From the tidbits he could sense, these three minds intrigue him. They reminded him of the strange, fearless minds he sensed among the fleet, yet were distinct from them. Behind his Father, he sensed another powerful mind, but bright in a more mundane way. Whoever this man was, he was perhaps as great as his own mind, but muted in psyonic powers. Four of the fearless ones marched with this mind, each of a different shade in attitude. Behind them was another great mind and three others....but that was all Gottfri could passively know. They felt covered as though a fog wrapped around themselves. Curious. But the last party of three individuals also intrigued Gottfri. No great mind there, but each of them were alighted with anticipation and joy to the point that Gottfri was eagerly awaiting to see the reason why. 

It wouldn't be long. With precision and ceremony, the Senate guards reached out and open the Senate doors to welcome the self-proclaimed Emperor of Mankind.

Gottfri had mentally prepared himself for being in close proximity to his Father's powerful mind. He had not been prepared for His sheer physical presence. When the doors opened, the Emperor stood towering and radiant in golden armor of incredible complexity. It was like the power and brightness of a star had been condensed into a single being. After a momentary pause, the Emperor strode forward, attended by three warriors in golden armor carrying pole arms with guns attached to the shafts. Taking a moment to distract himself from the walking sun, Gottfri peered into the minds of his Senators. All worry, fear, and anger had evaporated and been replaced with awe. Simple, profound awe. If the Emperor had asked of them to resign their positions and come serve him, Gottfri had no doubt that he would be left with an empty chamber. As the Emperor came forward, Gottfri managed to glimpse the rest of the retinue entering the chamber.

The first third of the retinue was a giant bald man clad in heavy power armor of white with gold edgings. Throughout the front of the armor, gold-and-red eyes stared outward and a large furry pelt covered his back. Were it not for the Emperor, this being would be the most resplendent in the room, exuding command and charisma to out-match Gottfri's. The giant wore a smile as he glanced around the room before focusing on Gottfri. Four soldiers in white-and-black armor formed a crescent moon behind him, the tallest of them wearing a topknot and a burning smolder of a personality. Even now, this soldier amused himself by forming plans of attack against Gottfri and his Senators. 

The next third was led by the last giant who wore armor of grey adorned with a giant wolf's head and talismans across the armor, which reminded Gottfri of the few remaining southern tribes where they still worshiped ancient animal spirits. This giant did not shine like the Emperor or wear a mantle leadership like the other, but instead wore unapologetic physical power. It looked like the giant was holding back a furious explosion that was waiting to unleash against his hapless enemies. The giant wore a scowl as he stared at Gottfri, naked displeasure aimed like a spear at him. The warriors around him wore the same same tribal look over their advanced armors. One individual by the giant's side wore an open helmet curving around his head and carried a staff. The strange psionic fog emanated from him. 

Gottfri pushed him from his mind as the last group entered the chamber. 

It was no small annoyance that Irvin Ruel felt his discipline threatening to break. His instructions were clear, handed down from the Emperor himself. He and two other legionnaires of his choice were to form a diplomatic party and join the Emperor in a first contact scenario. A simple mission. Simple were it not for the fact that the other members included the Emperor, Horus, and Leman Russ. To be in the presence of the Emperor alone would be one of the highest honors a space marine could achieve. To be in the Emperor's presence and the only two primarchs was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Add in the possibility that his own gene-father was waiting for him at the end of this road left Irvin nearly overwhelmed. Although they hid it well, he knew his companions were struggling as much as he was to maintain their discipline. 

To his left was Immanzeul Kant, the legion's most powerful psyker after Yeshie's demise. Unlike the former Master of the Legion who had a wide mastery of powers, Kant was more focused, limiting himself to three of the psychic disciplines to specialize in. One of them was telepathy, and Irvin could only imagine what the psyker was enduring as he walked behind the three most powerful beings in the galaxy, while the monstrous crowd closed around them. Yet, Kant marched with steady purpose with them.  On his right was Jorg Cavso, the best of their champions. No other had survived the lethal whirlwind of close combat as much as he had. It was not without cost. Jorg's left Beneath his power armor was a web of scars hinting at how close to death he had come, but with such experience none could match his skill with the maul. His infamous maul was missing today as their only armament allowed was a bolt pistol and a combat knife. The way his fingers occasionally twitched, Irvin knew it was missed. 

Regardless, they maintained their place behind the Wolves as they marched into the large domed building. Every step heightened their anticipation as they neared the two large doors at the end of the road. When they opened, Irvin resisted the urge to lean over so he could see past the enormous forms of Russ and Horus. By the Emperor, may our search come to an end.

He knew it wasn't so, but it felt as though their pace slowed as Horus entered. It felt slower still as Russ passed through the doors. As the last of the Wolves entered, the inner chamber came into view. Time switched its moods as suddenly events went faster. In a few short steps, Irvin and his companions entered the chamber. Before them in the center of the chamber stood a primarch. Their primarch. Even without Kant's mental investigation, Irvin knew that the Primarch of the II Legion was found. Standing erect in a black dress uniform, he wore a confident smile even as the Emperor stood before him. With bright red, short hair, their gene-father turned his attention toward them. His smile broadened as though he already knew they were his sons. Irvin had never before felt such elation. 

As they came to a halt behind the wolves, the Emperor spoke. "Alexandros Darshan VonSalim, Prime Minister of the Delian Federation and Commander-in-Chief of her military power, I greet you as the Emperor of the Imperium and as your Father. It is my dearest wish that you and your world join me."

Edited by simison

Gottfri inwardly twitched. It was a small issue, but he sensed something large behind it. Of course, he wouldn't have shown his disquiet outwardly. One of the first lessons of politics he'd learned from his mortal father was self-control and how to present oneself. A simple yet powerful lesson, especially here. Not only did his true Father stand before him with the entire Senate, above them was a flock of recorders, cameras, and news personnel as they observed and telegraphed the proceedings here to the entire world. All it required was a minute exertion of his will, but a thought whispered, Why didn't he use my first name? 

As a child, Gottfri had been discovered at the base of a mountain on the eastern continent of Asu. It was Vitrion, a local magistrate, who found, named, and raised him. When Gottfri had accomplished world unity, he had discarded his last name, while giving himself three more. Darshan was to appease and connect with the Sindhuans of the West. Gottfri and VonSalim were two names he had discovered when he read about ancient Terra in Delos' most ancient library. He had taken them because they're linguistic and cultural roots didn't exist on Delos. It was a sign that while he identified with all people of Delos, he was a neutral unifier who refused to play favorites, even among the people he had grown up with. Ever since that day, those two were the names he wore in public. Is my name offensive to him?

After his opening statement, the Emperor proceeded to give a speech. It lasted thirty minutes. As it ended, Gottfri knew one thing.

Delos belonged to the Imperium.

Not one man, woman, or child who had watched the broadcast could possibly refuse the Emperor's desire. What had taken Gottfri six years of careful calculation and hard work was accomplished by the Emperor in half an hour. When the Emperor finished speaking, eight Senators immediately stood to propose Delos' compliance. The proposal seconded by a second wave of Senators. Before the Prime Minister could enact the official sanction of the vote, the rest of the Senators rose and declared, "Yea!" Gottfri smiled and knew he need not fear a painful transition for Delos. It was exactly what he wanted when the first vision appeared to him three weeks ago. 

The Senate's decision was quick and simple. The actual process of compliance was a much longer affair as thousands of Imperial ships made planetfall. In a matter of weeks, technology of Delos would be advanced by decades, a deficiency that had plagued earlier efforts at fighting off xenos raiders. Lasguns would replace their stub guns, warp technology would allow them to chase raiders outside of their system, and new medical technologies would allow them to combat the various poisons and chemicals the repulsive xenos often employed against them for their twisted motives. 

Although Gottfri had won a major victory against them four years ago, he knew he had defeated one faction among many. One of his political cards was to remind Delians that they had no guarantee they wouldn't return. Unity would lead to a much stronger defense against their foes. And now, they had the power to fend them off and destroy them if they desired. 

Yet, these weapons pale in comparison to these, he thought as he studied the men assembled before him. No, not men. Astartes. Legiones Astartes. The process of Compliance was now on automatic, allowing Gottfri to invite his Father, and his two brothers, to his home.

After a brief tour of his home, they now stood on the back patio of the mansion. While they were inside, another group of Astartes had assembled here. As Gottfri stood above them, he took a moment to enjoy their excitement and pride as they waited for him to speak. These Space Marines would become familiar faces to him as they represented the upper echelons of the II Legion. His Legion. His sons. I have a much larger family now, Gottfri thought to himself with a smile. But one issue had to be resolved before he greeted his sons. Without turning toward him, Gottfri 'spoke'. Father. My name, must I not use it? 

No, Alexandros. Gottfri is a name that is ill-suited to you now. Much like how you required the Delians to forsake their petty quarrels to be given a greater purpose, you too must cast away that name as you ascend to your true purpose. It is a small sacrifice, my son, and one you will not regret.

Alexandros briefly wondered why Gottfri was the only name he was losing, but after being separated from his true father for a decade, he was willing to trust him on this. The mental conversation concluded in half a second. Taking a step forward, Alexandros shouted, "My sons! I cannot express my joy on this day of happy reunions. While I knew the Emperor was approaching, what a happy surprise it was for me to learn that I have brothers and sons to share in my happiness. From this day forward, may we never be parted as we partake in our greatest mission: to rescue Terra's lost children and protect them against those who would harm us! We will form the line against evil. We will be the shield of the Imperium. We will be the wardens, watching over our charges as we ward away the darkness! My sons, are you with me?"

In one voice, his legionaries shouted, "FOR THE EMPEROR AND ALEXANDROS!"  

Before Alexandros could step forward, the Emperor mentally spoke with him. 

My son, your Praetor and nine others will accompany you to Terra. There I will teach and prepare you for being a true master of a legion. You may pick the other nine. I will take my leave of you now and will see you again on Terra. Your brothers will remain here and in orbit for another day before returning to the Great Crusade. Good-bye, my son. I eagerly look forward to your training.

Not much of a good-bye in human terms, but the words were carefully wrapped with pride, happiness, and anticipation. Alexandros turned and smiled. I as well, Father. With a deep nod, the Emperor walked toward his brothers. After a quick round of words, the Emperor strode toward the mansion, while the other two primarchs approached him. Although Alexandros was eager to learn and interact with his sons, the amount of his time with his brothers would be more limited. Best if I take advantage of it while I can.

Formal introductions had been made quickly earlier, so Alexandros knew their names. Now, it was time to learn much more. With an easy smile, he hailed them, "Greetings Horus Lupercal, Leman Russ."

Edited by simison

To his simple greeting, Horus a bald giant in white heavy plate armor returned his own smile. Even without the sophisticated thick armor, Alexandros could tell that Horus was easily a head taller and broader than he was. "Well met, Alexandros. It's good to finally meet another one of our lost brothers. For awhile, I thought it would just be me and Russ here," Horus said as he offered an open hand. He leaned forward and said in a faux-conspiratorial whisper, "And between you and me, I wasn't sure how much longer I could take the smell."

"I can hear hear you," Leman grunted, eliciting a chuckle out of Horus. With the humor, Horus didn't seem nearly overwhelming in force of personality. The majesty was still there, a pale yet strong reflection of the glory their mutual Father radiated. But now he seemed very approachable.  

Alexandros chuckled with Horus before reaching out to shake the offered hand. Three inches before he shook it, he noticed the slight surprise on Horus' face. To be fair to Horus, it was extremely subtle, a three millimeter twitch of his right eyebrow. To a human, it was imperceptible. To Alexandros, it was obvious. He fought against temptation for a moment before he allowed his 'third eye' to open. Futures spread out in front of his sight. He quickly limited it to the next twenty seconds and searched for the future that explained Horus' reaction. In a third of a second, he found it. 

His smile still in place, he reached past Horus' hand and gripped his wrist. "I see I have much to learn."

"You seem to be a fast learner," Horus grinned before they gave each other a firm shake and released. 

"It'll take more than learning how to properly greet warriors to be a master of the legion," Leman growled as he stepped forward into Alexandros' personal bubble, forcing him to look up into his eyes. His fur-coated brother was taller than Horus by a few centimeters and offered none of the easy diplomacy as he bared his teeth at Alexandros. While Leman's body odor was fine, something laced his aggressive brother's breath. Alexandros suspected alcohol, but if so, it was a brew far more powerful than he knew existed. 

It was the first time anyone had tried to imitate him. Alexandros admitted, if nothing else, the experience was rather novel. "I'm sure you're right, my brother. And I look forward to learning all I can. Would you be willing to offer me a few quick lessons?" 

Edited by simison

Leman Russ chuckled, an animalistic, menacing sound. "Let's see if this baubles on you actually mean something. If you're going to be leading a legion, you'll need to be ready to get your own hands dirty." He smacked a large fist into his other palm. "Think you can handle a real fight?"

Alexandros grinned up at him. "Ready when you are?"

A throaty laugh erupted from Leman's throat. "So, there's some fire in you. Then let's get started. Horus, you referee. I'll need somebody to keep me from leaving any permanent damage on him."

A groan answered Leman, yet Horus merely took a few steps back and waited on them. The honor guards of the three legions represented had broken ranks and started to form a circle around the two combatants. Leman wasted no time preparing for the fight as he began removing his armor. "I'll not have anyone say I had a handicap," he grunted as he quickly shed the suit. Opting to only remove his suit's jacket and shirt, Alexandros made a show of it, slowly removing the two items with exaggerated care worthy of an arrogant Senator. "Praetor Ruel? If you'd please?" 

Leman snorted at the performance, while the current Legion Master stepped forward to receive the clothing. Without trying, Alexandros could feel the worry and curiosity radiating from who was to be his right-hand man. Er, transhuman. Have faith, my son. I am no stranger to combat. The reassurance accomplished a little, though Irvin did momentarily freeze when Alexandros 'spoke'. 

Yes, my lord. 

By the time Irvin was back at the edge of the circle, Leman stood in a body glove that spared no expense in detailing the Wolf King's many muscles. "Finished yet, or do you need another moment to pretty yourself up?" 

Alexandros took a moment to 'ponder' his answer before saying, "I believe I am ready. What are the terms?" 

"Simple," Leman declared as he brought up his fists. "We fight until one surrenders or can't fight."

"And get thrown out of the ring?" Alexandros suggested, his pose still relaxed. He thought he had read that somewhere concerning ancient Terran sparring regulations. 

A grunt answered him. "Aye, if you insist on it, but I'll not be hearing your mewling if I accidentally kick you out."

"Fair enough." A simple rule that Darshan wouldn't normally have bothered with...until he felt the faintest sensation at the back of his mind. His confident grin shining brightly, Darshan brought up his fists in front of his face.

Then, his vision split twofold. 

Physically, Alexandros stared at Leman as they waited for Horus to begin the bout. In his mind's eye, he peered into an ocean of possibilities. 

An Angel descended from the sky to stand in front of him under a cloudless sky.  

Gears whirred as a large suit of armor lifted a shield to block a laser beam.

Steaming liquid waited in a dainty, white cup before him.

With an exertion of his will, the ocean shrunk to a pond. His eidectic memory wouldn't let me to truly forget, but Alexandros pushed the visions to the back of his mind. None of them 'felt' like they would come to pass in the next few years. Visions that far along were always of dubious value, far too many factors could render them worthless as far as practicality. Perhaps when the time passed, he might look back on them as curiosities of what-could-be. For now, he needed to know what the various paths were for the next few minutes. He doubted their duel would last any longer than that.

Horus started to raise his arm. 

Both Alexandros and Leman exploded into mobs of themselves as all of the potential futures played out in his mind. As he watched, he saw himself defeated once, twice, thrice, and more so as time went on. One Alexandros had tried to feint left before delivering kick. He ended with his face crashing against the ground. Another one waited for Leman to make the first move.  He was surprised at the Wolf King's incredible speed as Leman blitzed into him, the force throwing Alexandros off his feet. 

Horus' arm stopped at its apex. 

Need more information. Darshan had yet to find a future where he won. His brother had the gifts of experience and superior corporal prowess. The Wolf King knew how to use these gifts well. But no one is perfect. Given enough time, Darshan knew he could find one future where he won, but that time was running out. Let's try something more risky. 

Horus' arm began to fall. 

Alexandros' consciousness expanded before forming a thin line, aimed at Leman's head. With more caution and subtlety than he'd ever used, Alexandros sent the probe forward. He waited for the eventual wall of a psionic defense line as evidenced by the early haziness. To his surprise, the probe reached Leman's mind and created the connection he sought. A flood of memories not his own filled his consciousness before Alexandros mentally slowed the rush and organized them.

Horus' arm was halfway down. 

Memories of fights, battles, and wars provided the information Alexandros wanted. He knew the true capabilities of the Wolf King better than Leman did. He also made a discovery. The fight wasn't what Leman wanted. The image of a belligerent barbarian was just that. An image, a mask, a persona that Leman wore. His challenge was a test, a way for Leman to learn more about his new brother. A fight would help, but Leman had been more curious if Alexandros would talk his way out of it. A simple polite 'no' wouldn't have been insulting, but Leman had been looking something more cunning. With all of this new information, Alexandros found the future to victory.

Horus' arm completed its fall. The entire motion of raising and throwing his arm down had taken 2.6 seconds. 

Alexandros was ready.

Edited by simison

The moment the fight began, Alexandros shot forward. Only two others could see the blur charging towards the Wolf King. On top of his incredible speed, Alexandros threw two fast jabs aimed at Leman's solar plexus. To Horus' surprise, they connected. The two were rendered visible to their sons as the fight hit a pause. Both Wolves and II legionnaires shouted encouragement to their respective Primarchs, while the Wolves also hooted and hollered out insults aimed at the new Primarch. 

Leman grunted, "Is that it?" Not bothering to hear a reply, he kicked. Darshan partially dodged as the leg skimmed him with enough force to throw him back several paces. The Wolf King was on him, ferocious fists attacking. Darshan narrowly sidestepped the first blow which destroyed the marble walkway beneath him. Horus watched as his new brother was forced on the defense, attempting to slide around the Wolf King's assault. But no matter how quickly Alexandros moved, he earned another scrape, another scratch and was worn further down. His expression moved closer and closer to desperation as he couldn't find the space to counter Leman's offensive. In Horus' mind, Alexandros was due some credit. Not once did he try to absorb a head-on blow, which could instantly knock him out of the circle. And he was doing a commendable job of keeping up with Leman, something Horus struggled with himself. 

Then one of Leman's kicks caught just enough of Alexandros' shin that he lost his footing and fell to one knee. It's over. Leman's fist was ready as it shot forward for the finishing blow against Alexandros' face. It never connected. Moving faster than he had for the entire fight, Alexandros caught his arm. He twisted and pulled and the Wolf King was yanked into the air and slammed into the ground. A lightning-fast fist smashed into his temple and Leman fought off unconsciousness. With a snarl, his trapped arm reversed and gripped Alexandros arm. In a flash, his opponent went limp as Leman pulled. Using Leman's own strength, Alexandros allowed himself to be thrown. As his body flew forward, his leg snapped forward combining both his and Leman's strength. The Wolf King saw it and moved his head. But then the foot seemed to teleport and connected with his nose. With a crack, everyone could hear the organ break. 

Horus quirked an eyebrow, unsure of what he just saw. Was that sheer speed?

Alexandros turned his fall into a roll and was back on his feet in a second. Leman was already charging him, blood streaming out of his nose. This time, the Primarch was like water as he flowed around Leman's attacks. Frustration and anger built within the Wolf King. Then he saw it. An opening in Alexandros' defense that would last a fraction of a second. All I need. With a roar, Leman punched, his fist connecting with Alexandros' right eye. His opponent's head jerked back as he went flying back. Leman's satisfaction was ruined when Darshan's legs wrapped around his arm. For the third time in his life, Leman felt his feet leave the ground as Alexandros turned his attack into a flip before throwing Leman into the air. With a wordless howl, Leman crashed into his Wolves and out of the ring. 

[Thanks for the encouragement, guys!]

Not using that eye for a couple of days. Were it not for his enhanced physique and healing, Alexandros had no doubt that he would've lost the eye in its entirety to that last punch. But it was worth it. While he sent his brother flying, he had completed his flip and was on his feet. He spun around as he briefly went over his plan again. To try the Wolf King, he had to slow down his reaction speed exactly .26 seconds. Any faster or slower and the Wolf King would've seen through his ruse, denying him the opportunity to catch Leman off-guard both times. 

He watched as Leman untangled himself from his sons, knowing he might have another second or two. Behind him, the marines of the II Legion were shouting boasts and praising him, which earned them a smile and a wink from his undamaged eye. Now to secure the true victory. Throwing on his cockiest grin and placing his fists on his hips, he waited. Leman didn't disappoint as he practically threw his sons off before storming up to Alexandros, blood spilling down his beard. "If you think that's enough to -."

"Claim victory? Are you telling me that your honor is so little that you can change the rules whenever they aren't going your way?" Alexandros shot back. He didn't wait as he pressed on. "Fine, have it your way. I can go again and I'll beat you so soundly that there'll be no debate!" He ended his little speech by slamming his fist into his palm. With enough speed and force to create a small thunderclap.

The Wolf King glowered down at him before cracking a grin. In a moment, deep laughter guffawed from his lips as he stepped forward. "This one has spirit, Horus. We'll make him a legion master, yet." He said as he slapped Alexandros on the back. The smaller Primarch had to catch himself from falling forward. "Come, with only a day to us, we should celebrate finding our new brother. I invite all of you above the Hrafnkel, where I'll give you a taste of what a legion ship is like. And a taste of mjod."

Alexandros glanced skyward before looking back at Leman. "Sounds tasty."

A groan came from Horus. "Prepare to be surprised."

[Alright, I've reach a point where I'm going to jump in the story from here to the start of Alexandros' journey to Terra. My question is, does everyone want me to continue the story here or begin a new topic?

Chapter 1: Home Away From Home

Alexandros massaged his temples to add further discouragement against the headache that now resided in his skull. Horus wasn't kidding. Mjod should be re-classified as a toxic weapon. 

"My lord?"

Ah, yes, I suppose I have to get used to hearing my new title, he thought to himself as he regarded Captain Thoren Bosowski. Technically, Alexandros' rank as High Lord of the II Legion superseded Thoren's rank, but Alexandros had reassured the man that as a newcomer to the Imperium he valued the Captain's knowledge and experience. "Yes, Captain?" He replied with a warm smile.

Standing at two meters even, Captain Bosowski cut a lean figure, a side effect to have living all of his life on starships. He shifted uneasily as Alexandros regarded him. "Are you well, my lord?"

After being in the presence of both Russ and Horus, Alexandros had momentarily forgotten that he too exuded his own natural aura on people. All three of them radiated command and power, but it was different in subtle ways. Russ was a physical hurricane about to be unleashed, while Horus embodied regal splendor. On the other hand, Alexandros had been told (and read minds) that he exuded an aura of tranquil benevolence. Despite whatever struggles hunted them in their daily lives, people would forget them when around him. Originally, Alexandros thought people naturally trusted him because of the nature of his breed. After meeting his brothers, he now knew that aura was his alone. 

From his physical manners, the Primarch could tell that Theron wasn't wholly at ease with this effect. "I am, thank you for asking. Just a leftover from last night's celebration with my brothers."

The Imperial Captain struggled with the answer. "I... was not aware that a Primarch could be...intoxicated."

Alexandros chuckled. "Neither was I."

Edited by simison

This is absolutely brilliant. Of particular merit (to me) is how you have handled the Primarch's emotions at meeting the Emperor, at meeting his brothers, and his Astartes' emotions at meeting him. This is one of the best on the B&C yet (and it beats a few Black Library shorts as well).

[Aw shucks, guys. Thanks for the encouragement. It helps fuel my writing. Ishagu, I'd be happy to spread my works to other places. Were there any particular websites you had in mind?]

Before their conversation continued, a familiar face entered the bridge. Alexandros gave a bright smile to Pyrrhicles as the man marched over to where he, Theron, and Irvin stood. "Come to bid your farewell?" the Primarch inquired. 

The native had been Alexandros' third in command of the Delian Army. Matching his rank, Pyrrhicles was an older gentleman, easing into his fifties. Short, grey hair held strong against balding, while experienced blue eyes surveyed the unfamiliar bridge. He was tall for a human and broad-shouldered, wearing simple off-duty robes. Pyrrhicles glanced at him and at the viewport. Currently, it was locked on Delos. "Yes, my lord. It's a harder price than I originally thought it would be." 

"A small price for the honor you are being shown," Irvin countered from the other side of Alexandros. 

Upon his announcement that he would be leaving Delos and joining his Father on the Great Crusade, the people of Delos had reacted with a general mixture of pride and grief. They would be losing the giant who had united and protected them, but any glory won by him would be glory for Delos. All knew he would shine like a bright star in the Great Crusade. Still, others had voiced different opinions and thoughts. Many Delian soldiers wished to fight on with him and the Imperial Army was soon to receive a large influx of personnel.

Yet, Pyrrhicles hadn't been satisfied with becoming a member of the Imperial Army. No, he desired nothing less then to continue serving his Command-in-Chief by his side as a legionnaire. While his past records of military skill and experience was exceptional, simple old age proved it impossible for him to become a true Astartes. With zealotry that had marked him an asset on the battlefield, Pyrrhicles hadn't given up, personally appealing to Alexandros for some way for him to serve. Won over by his subordinate's passion, Alexandros asked Horus if there was anything that could be done before his elder brother departed. Horus offered a solution: a series of bionic implementations and gene-therapy would create a facsimile of legionhood. After thanking Horus, Alexandros invited Pyrrhicles to join him. Pyrrhicles had accepted. 

"One of the highest honors," Pyrrhicles agreed. "And one that I'll be forever indebted to you, my lord. Yet, I still want one more look at my homeworld."

Alexandros nodded before turning his attention onto Theron. "Are we ready to be on our way, Captain?"

A curt nod was his answer. "On your command, my lord."

The Primarch fixed his gaze on Delos. "Make it so."

The vibrant planet steadily shrank as the Iron Griffin, an Eclipse-class light cruiser, sped away. For once, Alexandros tuned out the scene around him and simply watched. So ends my life's first chapter. In 58 years, I've accomplished more than most men could hope to do in a lifetime. And I am immune to the touch of Time itself. What will the future bring now, I wonder? The temptation hovered next to him. To extend his vision forward and see for himself, but Alexandros had learned early on that the future was not set in stone, and the possibilities outnumbered the stars once he ventured past a few years. No man, Astartes, or Primarch truly knows his fate. 

Before him, Delos was a distant blue-and-green blip that he doubted others could still perceive.

"Beginning warp translation."

With silence, the image ended as the feed was cut off. For where they were going, no good would come from physical navigation.

"My lord?" Alexandros turned his attention toward Pyrrhicles. "I must prepare for the first sessions, and it sounds like I'll be spending most of my time in the medical facilities for the voyage. So, I think I'll have to good-bye for the time being."

Alexandros nodded. "You'll be in some of the finest medical hands the Imperium has to offer. We will meet again," he finished as he offered his hand.

Pyrrhicles shook it, though his hand was the size of an infant's compared to the Primarch's. "Is that one of your predictions, my lord?"

A chuckle and a wink was his answer.