simison

After Pyrrhicles had departed, Alexandros addressed Captain Bosowski. "I will be leaving the bridge as well. Please keep me informed of our progress as necessary."

"Yes, my lord."

The Primarch turned his attention on Irvin. "Praetor Ruel, if you would accompany me."

"Of course, my lord," Irvin answered with a nod. 

Although he had only been shown the ship's schematics once, Alexandros recalled every door and hallway with perfect clarity, effortlessly leading his Praetors to his temporary quarters. When initial arrangements were being made, it had been expected for the Primarch to make the visit home in one of the II legion battle barges. Alexandros immediately protested, saying that such a warship would be needed more for his sons to prosecute the Great Crusade and desired a smaller and faster ship. The Iron Griffin not only fit his requirements, but was in need of an overhaul to begin with, which could be accomplished at the Martian shipyards. Captain Bosowski had been most surprised to learn of his valuable passenger and offered his personal cabin for the voyage's duration. That too Alexandros politely declined before he located an empty midshipman's quarters and took them as his cabin. 

As such, Alexandros had to nearly double over before he could step into the small cabin. Three bunks had been brought in and arranged to fit the Primarch's size. The only other room's pieces were a couple of chairs and a small but organized mountain of dataslates. The moment the door was closed upon them, Alexandros pointed at the larger of the chairs. "Please, have a seat Irvin. My apologies, do you mind if I address you by your first name?" he asked as he sat down on the beds. 

"No, my lord," Ruel replied before he sat down in the chair. The chair was made with the dimensions of an space marine in mind, but even then, he was eye-level with his gene-sire. 

"Good, and, so long as we are in a private atmosphere, I insist that you call me Alex," Alexandros declared with a warm smile. 

Ruel, after decades of war, had been given a few strange orders. Yet, this last one, to call one of the sons of the Emperor himself, by such a casual name may have been the strangest and distinctly left him uncomfortable. "If you truly insist upon it, my lord."

An expectant smile was his answer.

"Er, I mean, Alex."

"Don't worry," Alexandros said as he leaned back against the bulkhead. "You'll get used to it in time. Now, I realize we have much to cover as far as the legion goes, but I want to focus on you for a moment. I'd like to know more about you."

Irvin straightened up in his seat. "Of course...Alex. My name is Irvin Ruel, Praetor of the II Legion. My military service began in 763 when I was recruited from the Jermani state and accepted into the Legiones Astartes a few months later after entering into a trial program. My first assignment was a tactical squad in VIth company. My first battle was the Battle of Portsmith, which was the beginning of the Albyon campaign. I was promoted to Sergeant three days before the end of the campaign for a combination of exemplary service and heroics during the Siege of Londinvinium." 

With patience and attentiveness, the Primarch listened as his son continued to briefly cover the rest of his military career, including every promotion, every award, and every major campaign participated in. When Irvin finally reached the end, Alexandros smiled. "You've had a long and full service, my son. I am proud to have such an able soldier at my side."

Whether it was his genetics or his father's natural aura, Irvin could feel a wave of pride washing over him, filling him. "Thank you..Alex."

"I should be thanking you, Irvin," Alexandros replied. "You have fought well and kept my sons away from military disasters. Very remarkable. But, I'd like to know more about you, Irvin."

Confusion mixed in with the pride. "Er, excuse me, sir?"

• 2 weeks later...

"You are more than a service record, Irvin," Alex began. "I want to know more about you as a person. What are your dreams? How do you relax? What is your favorite color? Why as a Lord Commander and Praetor, do you prefer to fight on the front lines? These are the things I'd like to know."

"I understand," Irvin replied slowly. "My only dream is to serve the Imperium and win glory for my legion. If I wish to clear my head, I'll enter the sparring arenas. I don't have a favorite color. I lead from the front because that is where I can control the flow of battle, at the edge of my claws. I am both the most senior and warrior on any battlefield I deploy on. It also happens to be the place where I can win the most glory, in close combat. If I did not lead from there, how can I ask any of my brothers to do the same?" After a pause, Irvin hesitantly said, "Alex, I'm not sure you understand what it means to be a legionnaire. We are not like mortal men and their common aspirations and traits. We are transhuman warriors."

I like this bit, it shows the overall demenour of the pre-primarch legions quite well. Their only feelings were for war, they were cold and composed. Irvin seems almost arrogant, it's like he doubts Alex's ability to fight a war.

Well done, good sir.

"Transhuman?" Alex repeated slowly, tasting the word. "There is some truth to what you say, Irvin. You and my sons have become more than human. Your size, the equipment you use, and I've noticed that fear does not seem to have a presence within the legions. That much is true. Yet, even the word 'transhuman' still has 'human' in it. If my sons are transhuman, than how much farther away am I from Humanity? Yet, even I still feel many of the same urges that the Delians felt. A desire to belong, a desire to be with my family. Emotions? With the exception of fear, I've felt the rest: happiness, worry, sadness, peace. We may be different variations of Humanity, but we are still human nonetheless. I can honestly say today is my favorite day of my life because I got to meet my Dad, I got to meet my brothers. I even got to beat up one of my older brothers, and have him accept me! I understand if you don't sympathize with that, but trust me. Most younger brothers would have loved to have been in my place during that moment." 

With a grin, Alex looked around the room. "If I chose to, I could learn how this ship works in an hour. I could learn all of the intricacies behind the technology that allows us to travel through the warp in a week. And yet," he said as he looked back at Irvin. "My people, the Delians, were still teaching me new things after being their leader for years. My son, if there's one lesson I want you to learn, is that never underestimate Humanity."

• 2 weeks later...

This is brilliant. So much of it points to the inevitable disaster that lies ahead, and the cause of that disaster, i.e. the flaws of the Primarchs themselves... and all this fuels (for me at least) the anxiety as to why the II were deleted or lost from the records... The scope and pace of the narrative suggests that it will take a very long time before we arrive at that answer, but the wait is undoubtedly worth it.

On a separate note I appreciate the tasteful incorporations of name conventions from Greece and Rome (especially Delos since I can imagine all kinds of thematic tie-ins with history): it does not continue the 40k tradition in too obvious a way, but it remains present.

A moment passed as Alexandros allowed his words time to find root. He watched as Irvin absorbed them and deliberated on them, his son's eyes looking and not-looking at him. Soon, his son nodded, "I will abide by your wisdom on this, Alex and meditate on this."

Alex smiled even as he privately acknowledged that Irvin would probably need more time and experience before he accepted this one truth. "Of course. I do apologize, Irvin. I did not invite you to a conversation to discomfort you, so I offer the next topic to be of your choosing." Alex spread out his hands with a casual distance of five feet between them and his torso. "Whatever you want to speak of, you need only say."

"Then, I would like to debrief on your legion, Alex," Irvin replied with no hesitation.

Alex nodded for him to begin. 

"Since you will not be taking direct control of the legion immediately, I believe that you don't desire legionnaire numbers and disposition yet. However, I confess, Alex, we have a serious situation that is affecting the legion as a whole."

Alex quirked an eyebrow. "What situation?"

"Madness."

Alexandros chuckled. "Were it not for our conversation, I'd think you might have some talent as a storyteller. You, at least, know some of the basics of timing." He waved his hand onward. "Sorry, please continue. What madness?"

Hiding a frown, Irvin replied, "Since we've embarked on the Great Crusade, thousands of legionnaires have been struck by various mental illnesses to different degrees. The worst ones have turned on our own men, killing them before being contained or eliminated. Some legionnaires are coping and are still able to serve, however many of the cases have had to be retired from active duty. At the other extreme, we've had legionnaires who've become completely catatonic. I've done what I can to minimize the publicity of incidents, but our reputation has still suffered. While no one knows how high the numbers actually are, the Imperium is aware that there are incidents, and we've been under special scrutiny."

The Primarch's smile had shrunk, but not completely gone away. "The cause?"

"It is either the psykers or an error in our gene-seed. I am inclined to believe it is the psykers," Irvin explained. "They can be tied to every single case that has occured."

"Have there been no issues with the gene-seeds?"

Irvin paused. "Not...officially, Alex. Other legions have shown unusual traits. The most extreme case has been the XVth legion's flesh-change. Because of the flesh-change, the entire legion no longer participates in the Great Crusade, however, it hasn't been conclusively proven that it is their gene-seed behind the flaw. A few of the other legions undergo minor physical or behavioral changes, but nothing as debilitating as the flesh-change. This is why I am inclined to believe it has something to do with the psykers. No other legion is suffering from instabilities in their gene-seed, while the XVth legion, which has a vast psyker contingent, is the only one suffering from effects that are more crippling than our own."

With a slow nod, Alex replied, "Well, it looks like I have a bit more homework to do." He gestured to the stack of dataslates. "Is there a detailed report already compiled?"

"No, Alex. I can have one prepared for you within twenty-three hours," Irvin said.

Alex didn't need any telepathathic abilities to see the eagerness effusing from his son. "The sooner, the better. Would it also be possible to send some of my afflicted sons to me on Terra? I wish to examine them firsthand."

"You need only give the command, my lord, I mean Alex." Irvin stood. "I can have them sent to out in less than an hour. If you'll excuse me?"

"Of course." Alex held out his hand. "Irvin, I'm glad we were able to talk. I am pleased with your service."

With nurtured pride, Irvin energetically shook the massive hand. "I live to serve the Imperium, Alex." He strode to the door and hesitated. Glancing back, he asked, "Alex, do you think you'll be able to heal them?"

With a smile, Alex shrugged. "I don't think I have to say I will give it my best attention, but I will say that even if it is a problem beyond my understanding, I don't think it will be beyond Father's power."

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 2: Growing Family

Adalbard took a moment to knock on the prefab facility's main entrance. Surprise awaited him when he heard no answer, even though his summons had proscribed the very minute had had arrived at. It was not like Alexandros to waste his time or to make a fool of others for his amusement. He hesitated before he stepped inside.

Designed to be a temporary housing unit for a Primarch, it was a surreal experience for the Chaplain, who towered over mortals, to walk into a building where the furniture towered over him. The walls were filled with dozens of sketches, both of technical plans and artistic ones. Tables lined beneath them, holding an academy's diversity of items and relics dedicated to all areas of learning. Over there, a dataslate on Ork physiology. Over here, a political treatise dated to the 23rd millennium. It was as though his gene-father was trying to absorb all the knowledge the Imperium could offer in the span of days. 

Upon entering the main room, he found Alexandros sitting across from anther one of his sons. Gaius had been a brilliant codicer who had been struck with an intense form of catatonia. Requiring daily injections to satisfy his nutrient intake, the marine sat at one end of a small table, sized for an Astartes. Alexandros sat in a chair for his size, his hands clasped together in a gesture that Adalbard found uncomfortably close to prayer with his eyes closed. Recognizing his Primarch's preferred pose for his mental excursions, Adalbard waited and watched.

Edited by simison

With deep, slow breaths, Alexandros maintained his posture for a few moments before opening his eyes. The giant smiled as Gaius followed. The codicer gasped as his head snapped back and forth, absorbing his new reality. Jerky movements came to a halt as he focused on his gene-father. "You-you saved me."

Alexandros shrugged. "I merely showed you the way back home." He stood and took a step closer to the space marine before laying a hand on his shoulder. "Welcome back, my son."

The sandy-haired marine nodded as he muttered, "I am forever in your debt, my lord. What can I do to repay you?"

"For now, go and rest. You have been separated from us for several years. Take this day to catch up, then report back to me when you are finished. Is that fair?"

With a vigorous nod, Gaius rose from his seat. "More than fair, my lord. I will attend to this task now." The psyker hurried out, forgetting to pay proper respects to the Master of Chaplains.

"That was the eighteenth one, my lord," Adalbard noted as he approached Alexandros. "Are you any closer to discovering the root cause?"

With hesitance, Alexandros nodded, his deep purple duty robes settling over him as he re-seated himself. "I have a...suspicion. If I am right, I will only need a little more time to confirm it. If I am wrong, then I truly will need to ask for my Father's insight." He reached for a large bottle of amasec, which alerted the Chaplain to the two prepared glasses on the table. "I'm sorry I wasn't finished sooner, Adalbard. Gaius' illness was deeper than I expected."

"You need not apologize to me, lord," Adalbard replied as he took Gaius seat, careful not to sit too hard lest his black armor crush the oaken chair. "Every brother returned to us is a celebration and strengthens your reputation among the legion."

Edited by simison

"I appreciate that, my son, and I long for the day to take my place at the head of the legion. If for nothing else," Alexandros added with a wry smile as his hand swept over his messy abode. "I'm running out of things to learn, and it takes far too long for my sons to come here straight from the war front." He took a sip as he paused. "What about yourself, Adalbard? Have you taken my advice to heart?"

After settling his helmet on the table, Adalbard nodded as he reached for his glass. "I have, though I admit it was... strange. I'm used to monitoring psychological health and wielding my maul in service to the Emperor. Not choosing a hobby."

"I suspect it may be more necessary than you might think," Alexandros said in a half-whisper before continuing at a normal volume, his smile broadening. "What did you choose?"

With a gulp, Adalbard downed the fine liquid. "I decided on something practical. I've been studying our various air support units with an emphasis on learning their controls. I don't expect I'll ever be a combat pilot, but if the need should ever arise, I'll have more than the hypnotic training to rely on." He paused as he looked up to his gene-father. "Does this satisfy you?"

"It does," Alexandros assured him. "Any particular reason for your choice other than the practicality?"

Adalbard frowned as he felt old, old memories shift within his mind. "I think it was a desire of mine. Before I became what I am. Flying through the air appeals to...something deep within me, Alex, though I can barely remember the time."

• 2 weeks later...

Alex's grin widened as he listened. "Excellent. Don't ever ignore that part of yourself. Though it may never serve you in battle, it is as important to who you are." He opened his mouth to continue when his head snapped toward a wall.

Surprised and subconsciously mirroring his gene-father, Adalbard asked, "What is it, my lord?"

"My father is summoning me," Alex replied, his eyes unfocused. He blinked and turned his attention back to Adalbard. "Correction, He will summon me three hours from now."

The breadth of Alexandros' talents had been a point of discussion between Adalbard and the other chosen members of Alex's retinue. It did not take long before word had spread that in addition to his natural, extensive physical capabilities as a primarch that he was also a psyker. It had been a surprise to them. For despite being the most powerful psyker in existence, the Emperor seemed to have created none in his image. Horus and Russ had been devoid of such abilities and a quiet expectation had been building up in most of the legions that none of the primarchs were psykers. Alexandros had broken that trend. Since the primarchs were capable of so much, what could a psyker-primarch accomplish? While freely admitting his status as a psyker, Alexandros hadn't explained what he could do yet, and his sons were too respectful to press the issue.

"You can see the future, my lord?" Adalbard tentatively inquired, reasoning that as Alex had already demonstrated his telepathy and made that known, perhaps it was fair to ask of this new power.

"To a degree," Alex replied with a chuckle. "It's more frustrating than most understand. Because in one sense there is only one future. But, in another sense, there's a nigh-infinite amount of futures. I can see all of the possible futures, and most of the time, I see the future that will come to pass. It's not like what the common man believes that all I have to do is close my eyes and I'll be able to predict exactly what they'll be doing a year from now."

Edited by simison

"How far into the future can you see, my lord?" Adalbard paused as he remembered. "Did you not foresee yourself taking longer than necessary to aid Brother Gaius and should have informed me to come at a later time? I mean no disrespect, my lord, I'm just unsure."

Alex chuckled. "Just because I can see into the future does not mean I always do. I have gone days without peering forward. Sometimes, weeks. As for how far my sight extends, the technical answer to your question is centuries. Perhaps millenia. It would take a few hours of intense meditation, but I could do it. Of course, I never would chose to do so. The future I'd be seeing would rest on a foundation so weak that all it would take is a single whim to render it pointless. I prefer keeping my focus much more narrow and accurate. Father disagrees with me on this. He thinks I'd benefit more if I cast my nets further out."

It was strange to hear his gene-sire refer to the Emperor so casually for Adalbard. He wondered how formal their relationship was in person and doubted he'd ever get the chance to see it. "How far do you typically look ahead?"

"In peace, it varies. Sometimes, days. Sometimes, weeks. Rarely do I look full months ahead. In war, I go as far as I can to deduce when it is likely for a campaign to end and then focus on staying at least a fortnight ahead of my enemies. It was by far my most powerful tool against the fallen Eldar that raided my planet."

Fantastic work!

Is some guess work about where you're going allowed? I'll spoiler my guesses just in case...

I wonder if the problem with the II Legion is related to their Primarch's ability, meaning that their madness/catatonic state is because they've become lost looking into potential futures. And of course, the more they suffer with it the more likely for them to turn on the other Legions - primarily those that follow Horus, but also if you could look ahead and see the evils resulting from the flaws of the BA or the secret agendas of the DA, you might turn on them too. Of course, no-one else would believe their prophecies or why they're attacking their brethren, resulting in the ostracising and later destruction of the II Legion.

Am I anywhere near? :lol: