Horus Heresy- Isstvan Campaing Game 3 (Picture Heavy)

Telhdrat

Sorry this won't be as detailed as my previous battle reports. We played the game months ago and while I took plenty of pictures I didn't take any notes as it was my intention to write up the report quickly after the game. Unfortunately, other things came up and I didn't so this is mainly based on the pictures and what details I can remember.

This was the last game in the first phase of our Isstvan III campaign and as such would determine who would win the phase and earn some bonuses for the next phases. The traitors had a small edge, a draw was enough for them to win, the loyalists needed a win.

We played another Blood Feud game, but this time with the Ambush deployment (one side is defender and deploys in a circle in the centre of the board, the attacker deploys on both sides of the board). We quickly decided that it was natural for the loyalists to be the ambushers, as the traitors pushed further into the Choral city. The survivors of Angron's assault on his own legion would spring a close quarter ambush on a force of traitorous Sons of Horus and Death Guard.

The Loyalist Forces:

Praetor with a paragon blade

5 man Command Squad with a variety of power weapons

13 man Tactical Squad with chainaxes & bolt pistols, sergeant with power axe

10 man Assault Squad, sergeant with power sword

Contemptor Dreadnough, dual power fists & one graviton gun

Apothecary

5 man Cataprachti squad with a plasma blaster

3 man Skyhunter squadron

2x 5 man Rampager squads with caedere weapons

5 man Heavy Support Squad with lascannons

gallery_48145_10022_88932.jpg

Loyalist Forces

The Traitor Forces:

Sons of Horus:

Praetor with a thunder hammer

3 man Command Squad

Primus Medicae

10 man Tactical Squad with bolters, sergeant with a combi plasma

15 man Tactical Squad with bolters, ccw & boltpistols, sergeant with a plasma pistol

5 man Recon Squad with sniper rifles & cameoline

Contemptor Dreadnought with heavy bolter & DCCW with plasma blaster

5 man Cataprachti Squad with 2x Combiplasma & Reaper Autocannon

5 man Heavy Support Squad with missile launchers

Allied Death Guard:

Centurion with Power Fist

18 man Tactical Squad bolters, ccw & boltpistols, sergeant with a combiflamer

5 man Tactical Suppor Squad with flamers, sergeant with bolter

gallery_48145_10022_20787.jpg

Traitor Forces

Deployment

The Command Squad and the Contemptor took up positions at the centre of the traitor forces, with the Death Guard on one side and the Son of Horus on the other. The snipers and the missile launcher squad took up firing positions on the upper level of the ruins.

gallery_48145_10022_99700.jpg

Traitor Deployment

The loyalist decided to go with a full on assault from both sides, deploying the assault squad, terminators and one rampager squad to the left with the Skyhunters as fire support. The tactical squad, the Contemptor and the other rampager squad were led by the Praetor and the command squad on the right, with the lascannon squad taking positions in the ruins near them.

gallery_48145_10022_164442.jpg

Loyalist Left

gallery_48145_10022_150024.jpg

Loyalist Right

The Game

The World Eaters quickly began closing in on the surrounded traitors firing a few shots on the way but to little effect. The traitors, realizing that they are under attack, decide not to hunker down in the ruins and instead move out to meet the advancing World Eaters. Their return fire is more accurate, felling several members of the Rampagers and the Assault Squad.

gallery_48145_10022_51305.jpg

gallery_48145_10022_9876.jpg

All Forces Advance

Even ass the loyalist continue to close in, it is the Terminators of the Sons of Horus who lead the first charge of the battle, crashing into the World Eater Tactical Squad.

gallery_48145_10022_136261.jpg

The Sons of Horus Terminators charge

gallery_48145_10022_246939.jpg

Turn Two begins

On the other side of the battle, the Sons of Horus, backed up by the Death Guard flamer squad, move to point blank range and open fire.

gallery_48145_10022_82484.jpg

Boint Blank Action

Though many of them fall, the World Eater care little and charge in. The Death Guard fall to the Assault Squad, whilst the Terminators remain locked in combat with the Sons of Horus.

gallery_48145_10022_98112.jpg

Death Guard fall to the World Eater Assault Marines

gallery_48145_10022_39617.jpg

And the Terminator push on as well

On the other side, the surviving Rampagers also close in to do what they are best at and the World Eater Contemptor moves to help his brothers against the Sons of Horus terminators.

gallery_48145_10022_168850.jpg

Brave charge!

gallery_48145_10022_175564.jpg

Overall situation

In response, the Sons of Horus Contemptor and the Death Guard move in to join the fight.

gallery_48145_10022_162234.jpg

gallery_48145_10022_172428.jpg

Traitors reinforce their terminators

Bellowing a challenge, the Contemptor rushes to meet its counter part, with the Death Guard charging in alongside.

gallery_48145_10022_103146.jpg

The Dreadnoughts face off against each other

This proves costly to the nearby Sons of Horus as though one of them falls the remaining Rampager butchers the entire Tactical Squad.

gallery_48145_10022_44916.jpg

Rampage!

gallery_48145_10022_170896.jpg

The battle is at its peak

As the Skyhunters exchange fire with the Sons of Horus missile launcher squad The World Eater Command Squad join the massive close combat before them. They inflict heavy casualties on the Death Guard and the other World Eaters slay the Sons of Horus Terminators. However the Sons of Horus Dreadnought ends up as the victor in the duel of the dreadnoughts, smashing its opponent against the ground. Despite this, the Death Guard understand which way the fight is now heading and decide to withdraw.

gallery_48145_10022_168781.jpg

A Dreadnought falls...

gallery_48145_10022_155887.jpg

...but the Death Guard retreat

On the other side of the battlefield the remaining World Eaters terminators are overcome by the Sons of Horus, but not before they take the Primus Medicae down. As the end of the battle looms near, the traitor commanders finally prepare to join the fight and move towards the World Eater Command Squad, who in the meantime finish what they started and wipe out the remaining Death Guard.

gallery_48145_10022_214939.jpg

End looms near

As the Command Squads clash, the Sons of Horus reconnaissance squad tries to fade away from the field, but get attacked by the remaining members of the World Eater Tactical Squad just as they reach the ground floor. Never ones to get surprised the Recon Squad manage not only hold them off, but cut all of the World Eaters down as they try to pull back.

gallery_48145_10022_92635.jpg

Recon Squad is attacked...

gallery_48145_10022_13106.jpg

...which is a fatal mistake

The two commanding officers meet in a duel as their chosen warriors face off against each other. Neither of the Praetors manage to completely overcome their opponent but the World Eater gets a blow trough that leaves a deep cut in the Son of Horus. The other World Eater do even better and kill all but one of the Son Horus, but the traitor's morale never falters.

gallery_48145_10022_117912.jpg

The Commanders' duel

Meanwhile, the Sky Hunter strafe the traitor missile launcher squad on the walkway with heavy bolter and volkite before charging in cutting them.

gallery_48145_10022_55070.jpg

Run them down!

In the duel of the commanders the World Eater presses on hard, raining blows on his opponent but the Son of Horus takes them all in his stride and delivers back a single blow from his Thunderhammer. It proves all he needs, and as the World Eater falls to the ground he puts a bolt round trough him just to make sure.

gallery_48145_10022_127342.jpg

The Loyalist commander gets executed

However, his victory is shortlived as, having finished their own opposites, the dead World Eater's chosen turn their weapons on him and avenge their fallen leader in flurry of blows.

As the few remaining units of both loyalists and traitors alike manouver around the battlefield preparing to take the fight to its bloody conclusion, the battlefield conditions worsen due to all the dust and smoke thown in the air and vox contact is lost...

gallery_48145_10022_25615.jpg

gallery_48145_10022_160376.jpg

End of battle situations

The Result

Another bloody game and a very close one too. As the last turns of the game we were on hand we were uncertain of which side was actually in the lead, and as it turned out the answer was neither! We both fought hard to gain the upper hand but in the end the result remained the same. After a few recalculations to make sure the battle indeed ended in a draw.

Certainly it was a bloodpath Angron would be proud off, but unfortunately for the loyalists and luckily for me a draw meant that the Traitors win the first phase of the campaign and become bloodied as the battles move deeper into the city- All traitors will have +1 Ld for the rest of the campaign.

Thanks for the comments. I knew I couldn't resist the Heresy the moment I first saw FW's teaser pictures. It's really fun to play too, and if you can get to it I really recommend it. For me at least, it is more enjoyable than standard 40K at the moment (I still like 40k, but there are more thing in it I don't like, and since most of my 40K opponent tend to be tournament oriented I see those things more often than I'd like).

• 5 weeks later...

Both armies are very nicely painted, which sadly is not the case in most battle reports. Don't know much about the differences between 40 and 30k, only that their are more weapon options. NIce job on the report and the posing of models for dramatic effect. looking forward to seeing the next one of these that you throw together.

Archived