Ok, I lied, my list was actually about 2K Inquisition and Storm Troopers (not meant to be competitive but rather thematic):
- 3 x 10 man MT Squads with double Plasma and an Ordo Malleus Terminator w/PsyCannon each
- 3 x 10 man MT Squads with double Melta and an Ordo Malleus Terminator w/PsyCannon each
- 1 MT Command Squad with 4 x Plasma, Lord Commissar and an Ordo Malleus Terminator w/PsyCannon
- 2 Taurox Primes with Missiles and Camo
I played 2 games against surprisingly symmetrical lists:
- Iron Hands Marines with all Drop Pods with 10 man Tac Squads with 1 Multi-Melta and 1 Flamer each, and 1 Captain - which was a stunning victory
- Farsight Tau with all Crisis Suits with double Plasma - in which I got beat badly
The interesting symmetry was that all the above were almost all mono-unit type, Troops and Deep Striking.
In both games I had 2 Squads in the 2 Tauroxes in Cover deployed, with the rest Reserved.
The game against the Marines:
In the first turn I was worried he would drop his Pods on top of my Tauroxes and wipe me there and then but instead, he dropped his Pods on Objectives. He would then shoot at me from range, but the Tauroxes made their 4+ (with Camo) Cover Saves. Then I would Deep Strike my MT squads right next to his Pods (I got the MT Warlord Trait that gave 1D6 Scatter) and just about wipe each of his Tac Squads with AP3. The next turn he would Pod more, shoot at me, I'd tank with my OM TDA 2+ (using Lookout Sir to sacrifice a Scion for the Multi Melta hit), then Deep Strike my next set of MT squads next to him and cripple his Tacs again. Tauroxes would shoot at the Drop Pods. At the end of the game I had 5 of 6 Objectives.
The game against Tau:
I ended up with first turn and it was the exact opposite of my game vs the Marines. I would Deep Strike first, then the Tau Crisis would Deep Strike next to me, shoot me with Plasma which my TDA was useless against and which would Instant Death my OMs. I tried Charging some of them but it was difficult as the Crisis would DS within Rapid Fire range, shoot, then Jet Pack Thrust back out of range. At the end of the game my opponent had 5 of 6 Objectives.
Lessons learned (or rather, reminded) - lists with mono unit types are win big or lose big; turn sequence matters with DS; OM TDAs are great tanks against small arms but not Plasma (esp. with only T3).
Edited by Kilofix, 28 September 2014 - 07:29 PM.