Knights of the Emperor

Sete

spacemarine.jpg
Tactical

spacemarine.jpg
Knight

Founding:
The Knights of the Emperor were part of the 23rd founding, their gene seed tithed from the Black Templars, making them proud sons of Dorn.
After the disastrous Abyssal Crusade, in an attempt to make chapters to cover the losses, the Crimson Knights were created by using the vast reserves of Black Templar gene seed, that had stockpiled due to the hesitation by the High Lords of Terra to produce chapters from that particular stock.

gallery_79735_10028_35476.png

Originally a codex adherent, fleet based chapter,clad in a crimson armour, they would recruit from various worlds, never lingering too long in one place always eager to take the fight to the Enemies of Mankind.

Like most chapters coming from the Dorn gene seed, they inherited his pride and stubbornness, which almost lead them to their undoing...

Answering a distress call from the system of Cale, that was suffering an Ork invasion the Space marine chapter appeared at full force, intended to break the Waaagh before it could consume the entire system.

At the planet Lignum the Orks numbers were beyond count, and ignoring any advice, Chapter Master Sebas ordered a full drop pod asssult on the hearth of the greenskin horde, intended to slay their warlord and bring the threat to an halt.

The drop pods landed right on top of the surprised green skins, killing dozens as they landed, but the orks used their numbers to overwhelm the disembarking marines killing many in bloody hand to hand combat.

Unable to accept defeat, the Chapter Master refused to fall back and regroup, and finally was slain by a cybork, cut in half by its Klaw.

1st company commander Captain Ferdinand took the remaining of the chapter and made a fighting retreat towards a nearby valley, where the orks couldn't make use of their superior numbers, forcing them to funnel so they could reach their target.

The fight continued for hours,hundred of greenskins piled at the entrance of the vale forcing the others to climb over the dead bodies, and with the ammo almost spent, Captain Ferdinand knew they were fighting a losing battle, but determined to sell their life's dearly.

Salvation came in the form of the Adeptas Sororitas!

gallery_79735_10028_10378.jpg

Sisters of the Order of Our Martyred Lady hit the flank of the greenskin horde, surprising them.

The confusion generated in the greenskin horde by the new foe gave the chance for a desperate last charge from the Crimson Knights, using the sisters distraction to reach the enemy Warlord.

Captain Ferdinand personally beheaded the beast after a brief and intense confrontation, the Ork Warlord unable to defend himself form the 1st Captain fury, and brought low by a storm of blows.

Broken and without leadership the Orks were easy prey for the Imperial forces, caught between the fury of the Space marines and the flames of the Sisters.

The Marines witnessed the fearless and fanatical way in which the Sisters fought, making a lasting impression upon the survivors.

They continued to work together as they cleansed the system from orks, their faith in the Emperor starting to spread among the Space Marine ranks.

By the end of the campaign after witnessing the Sisters faith and deeds, the Chapter had completely converted to the Imperial truth.

With the Chapter under strength and battered, the newly appointed Chapter Master Ferdinand reform the chapter, renaming them Knights of the Emperor, and ordered the power armours to be striped down of their crimson colour, to bare grey, to remind them of the sins of hubris and obstinacy that almost destroyed the chapter.

Organizing the survivors into 6 Companies, he choose the world of Lignum to build a new Chapter keep, on the same valley where they held the line against the Orks.

After a century rebuilding their forces the Knights of the Emperor took to the stars again with a renewed faith, crusading to bring all of the galaxy into the Emperor Light and Truth.

gallery_79735_10028_22447.jpg

Homeworld:

Their Chapter keep, Knights Vigil, is established on the world of Lignum. The world consisted 85% of water, with a massive mountainous Island being the principal landmass in the planet.

The planet has a population of 25 million human souls situated in the western arm of the galaxy.

Their main tithe to the Imperium is promethium, which is extracted from its deep oceans.

Organization:

Grand Master- Chapter Master

Castellan- Captain

Paladin-Librarian

Knight Commander- Veteran Sargent

Knights- veterans

The Knights of the Emperor follow the Codex Astartes except in the total number of companies,but they do maintain a limit of 1000 marines.

Each Crusade (company) has a maximum of 150 Marines, in a total of 6 crusades, numbering 900 Marines. After The first Grand Master reform the remaining 4 companies were never created, the extra Marines being assimilated into the existing crusades.

There is a permanent garrison at Lignum of 100 Marines to protect the keep and aid in the neophytes training. Also each crusade is accompanied by a Paladin, the equivalent of a librarian on other chapters.

Their training also differs from the Codex Astartes, before being awarded the Black Carapace, the neophyte must choose one of 2 paths, Close Combat or Ranged Combat, but with the particularity that only those that choose close combat have the chance to rise to Castellan and subsequently to Grand Master.

They believe that to command a Chapter, one must be gifted with prodigious fighting skills to lead by example in the thick of the fighting, besting enemy leaders with a single blow of the sword.

Ranged combat Veterans are usually formed into Devastator squads, their experience invaluable to bring down enemy armour or creatures. They do tend to favour the Lascannon as a weapon of choice.

Neophytes that show potential with the arts of the warp are very prized within the Chapter, each being honed into a master duellist, capable of bending the warp to bless and protect himself and is fellow brothers, and to strengthen himself to bring ruin upon his enemies.

They are gifted the best artificer armour and blades, and upon the battlefield their task is to search and slay the most powerful enemies.

Like their predecessors they loath rogue and alien psykers, being the Paladin Holy mission to find and behead these foul enemies upon the field of battle.For each kill they are awarded a black seal that they use on their left shoulder pad.

Unlike other Chapters the Knights consider their Holy task to protect Humanity, going to great efforts to defend and save human populations from Xenos Mutants and Heretics. For there is no greater sin than to discard loyal subjects of the Divine Emperor.

Combat Doctrine:

The chapter favours mechanized assaults with Rhinos, using Tactical Squad to hold and defend critical positions while knights deploying via Stormraven or Land Raider assault the enemy lines, slaying their leaders and disrupting their advance.

They also use Sniper Squads to sow terror and confusion amidst enemy ranks.

Chapter Traditions:

Knights of the Emperor follow the traditions of Sigismund only the close combat veterans being knighted and awarded power swords, which they chain at their wrist, and a tabard.The chapter does not use command squad or honour guard, their functions falling into the hands of the knights.

Every Crusade as its Inner circle, formed by the Grand Master or Castellan, the Paladin, the Chaplain and the Knight Commander. Between them 4 all decisions and tactics regarding the campaign are taken.

Also Neophytes that fail their trials are sent back to their Homeworld of Lignum to serve in the Chapter keep.

They also abhor the use of dreadnoughts, granting the Emperors peace to those broken beyond healing in the battle, using instead his gene seed to create a Marine worthy of his legacy.

Chapter relics:

Great sword Emperor Judgement, a master crafted relic blade used by the Grand Master.
Paladin Armour: Artificer armour crafted specially for the chapter Paladins.
Master Crafted Power Sword Skullreaver currently being use by Paladin Onor.

Warcry:

"We are the Emperor's will"

Present time:

As the Millenium reaches its end, chapter crusades are spread among the galaxy, aiding worlds besieged by the enemies of Imperium.

Grand Master Vitus Corr is in warp transit with his crusade on its way to the Tau Empire Territories to stop their advance and reclaim the lost worlds back to the Imperium.

Tell us more about why they're not the Black Templars, with different names for positions.

The High lords are hesitant to use Black templar gene seed, why did they use it for you. It is a recent chapter, and the documents would still be there.

Well as you have noticed new BT lore put them as buddy's with the ecclesiarchy, with the Emperor worshipping, and influential elements of the Imperial Cult want to spread that belief to more Space Marine Chapters, who knows for what end. Maybe so they can be more easily controlled?

Also they are not Black Templars because they accept and actively search for psykers for their ranks, and have a more flexible tactical doctrine, and unlike the Templars they do care about the mere citizens of the Imperium.

Also they are not fleet based.

-All right the Black Templars are buddy with the Ecclessiarchy, and the Ecclesiarch saw to it that the chapter was founded, tell us that

-Being founded in the 26th founding they're a little over 250 years old, the training cadre is likely still alive at least in parts, how do they go from despising all psyers, to actively seeking them out in one generation

-You're combat doctrine of flexibility is just as generic as your chapter is, make them mechanized or make them favor lightning fast assaults, or even both, rather than prepared for anything, and if they are prepared for anything tell us why this developed

-See the second bullet, why do they suddenly care about the everyday citizen and become pansie marines

"Right now as the Grand Master moves towards newly annexed Tau planets, the other 5 crusades are spread among the galaxy, aiding worlds that were deemed as expendable by the Imperium in this age of war."

How were those worlds deemed expendable and why does the chapter care, their fighting tau not chaos, so saving them from the tau isn't technically a following their doctrine of

"They do so because every human soul that is committed to the Imperium, is a small victory against the forces of chaos."

Pansie marines

- They literally do exactly what the Black Templars do, except they have a super Keep on their home planet, if you don't want them to be just like the black templars, make their homeworld their homeworld rather than having them recruit from all over anyway

In addition: Your article is written in such a format that it is a lot of telling writing and not a lot of showing writing

Read the Octaguide,

Don't just brain dump information about your chapter

While humanitarianism is fine, I think you've taken it a bit too far. Space marines can care about humanity, the Salamanders do as reference, but there is a limit. I think the furthest one could go before going overboard is something similar to the Salamanders course of action, they will try and to preserve human life in any warzone at all cost. They strongly believe in the idea that they were created to protect humanity.

As for worlds being "expendable" I see this as very unlikely. The Imperium is still branching out and conquering the stars, ten-thousand years after the Great Crusade. Now, worlds could be considered in high danger of being lost to X enemy. in which case they will send the Astra Militarum to slow the incursion, and then send in the Astartes to clean up the mess. It could be that this chapter has participated in many such situations and are revered by the Astra Militarum for saving their hides on multiple occasions. Maybe your chapter intervenes as soon as possible to keep the death toll on the AM's forces as low as possible, preserving human life. This is one way of showing your chapter gives a hoot about humanity.

I also agree with the above, the 26th founding makes it difficult to facilitate the change from the BT's zealotry and witch hunting ways. You can still use the Imperial Fists geneseed for a knightly chapter without using that of the Black Templars. Perhaps they are descended from the Iron Knights, or even the White or Red Templars. Crusaders of Dorn maybe? They can even be descended directly from the Imperial Fists and be a knightly chapter, the Black Templar being the prime example.

You have a good start here, can't wait to see more. 

Lol pansie marines.

Again Templars do like psykers now. In case you didnt read the new lore.

They flexible but favor mechanized assaults with rhinos. Its there. You are just nitpicking.

Why shouldn't they care about the Emperor subjects? Cold distant and bloodthirsty marines the galaxy is full.

Wow a super keep. Awesome.

Those worlds were deemed expandable because they are not forge worlds or have a sound tactical position.

Now do tell me, if I make a ultramarine sucessor that follow the codex astartes why just I dont make ultramarines? That is your logic.

Hello artic paladin thank you for your sugestions.

With expendables I meant those worlds that had their troops moved to other fronts having little defence against the predations of xenos. But maybe I went a little overboard. Will redo that bit. After all Space Marines are forged for war.

Also im using the new lore where Templars venerate psykers to get this going. While not accepted by most of the community it is now cannon, so having a librarian is not considered abnormal anymore.But they still witch hunt no worries.

But thank you for the suggestions.

The suggestion I'd make here is to move their founding back a bit.

If the Black Templars ever go back to abhorring the witch properly like in the old days, it'll give you more time to separate yourself from their rigorous anti-psyker beliefs.

Well, that and most Chapters people make are 26th Founding Chapters for whatever reason.laugh.png

Dare to be different!tongue.png

The other big question to ask is always "why?"

Why do the Chapter see the Emperor as a God?

Why would the Black Templars advocate following the Codex limits? And why would they go "six crusade companies but make them bigger than normal companies"?

Why do they have a homeworld if they're basically a fleet-based Chapter, spread all over the galaxy?

If you can answer these questions in your writing (and maybe put it all in the first post for the reader's convenience msn-wink.gif ) you'll be taking a step towards giving your Chapter some real character.

EDIT:

Left a word out.

True I have been thinking the founding... It could be moved back a bit. I honeslty tought that that was the least chosen founding.
Hmm good points there. I will adress them thonight with a bit more of time. Will have the day to think a bit about it. Thanks again.

PS: done. :)

Thank you for the support. Unfortunately I was very busy these days and didn't have the time to think it trough. And well you guys asked the right questions that left me thinking. I appreciate it. I'm starting now on my Grand Master. will upload a pick as soon as possible.

Ah no. I just used the Grey Knight sword and storm bolter on the model. I wanted my Chapter Master to have a greatsword. GK ones looked awesome. Right now im working on my Paladin. But I probably will use Captain rules instead of librarians. The price for what I wanted to do is almost prohibitive. Unfortunately they are lacking a 2+ save. Putting armour indomitus shield eternal puts the librarian at a awfull price. So a captain with artificer armour storm shield and relic blade is way more affordable. Its a shame losing the biomancy powers :/ and will have to change the lore a bit...

Wont change the lore. The Paladin uses his power as a permanent Hammerhand buff (relic Blade) and gives Adamantium Will to the army (BT chapter Tactics).

And if I don't use him I will use Executioners CT.

Here is the Paladin, Not the best Lighting and tomorrow I have to highlight a bit.

med_gallery_79735_10031_791987.jpg

Im having great fun painting grey, and I like to keep them simple,and since grey is the colour of humility modesty mourning and repentance it goes along well with my chapter.

Do you plan to have squad markings and such? I think doing those in a cool colour scheme would compliment the silver armour quite well. If you're not familiar with colour theory that means blues greens and purples. Blue would perhaps look best, a darker one would provide nice contrast and a lighter one would add detail without distracting from the overall model. I recommend a darker blue (or purple/ red-violety) as a spot colour to draw attention to key areas.

Same, I blew my budget for the next couple of months picking up the DA from the Dark Vengeance box and tonnes of various bits and bobs to make some vets. I know what legs they'll be charging into battle with now though! What do you plan to run you're knight as in Deathwatch?

You should probably go into home world next

- Giant mountainous land surrounded by water, on which 25 million people live

Where do those people live?

What are there traditions?

A mountainous land surrounded by water, kind of reminds me of Ancient Greece

Yeah I will be running my knight. Power sword and bolt pistol. Might take a bolter just in case. Ill be making a narrative and will post some pictures.

About the homeworld I based it on my homeland.

Its a good sugestion to expand on that a bit. :)

Give me a couple days im a bit busy with my Tau for a few skirmish matches. :)

Archived