Space Hulk quality issues

JeffTibbetts

I feel like such a first-world-problem whiner here, but I hope I've earned the right to whine just a little bit on these boards, as it's not something I'm prone to do. 

If you haven't noticed, I've been VERY excited about Space Hulk. I was on the page on preorder day, jamming the refresh button until it popped up. I had to have been in the ranks of the very first to get it. Not trying to claim any bragging rights, just illustrating how excited I was. I had to convince my fiancé to let my blow $125 bucks on it (as much as our monthly cell-phone bill) while we're trying to save for a wedding and yada-yada. I looked up a million reviews and they all talked about the high production values, how fun it is and all that. I convinced my friends to play with me. 

Needless to say, I may have been letting myself get just a WEE bit carried away and setting the expectations way too high. When I got the email that my package was delivered, I had to control myself from ditching work 3 hours early to come right home and open it. 

When I DID open it, one of the first things I noticed was a missing piece, inside the shrink wrap. It was just an aquila counter, but the first thought that ran through my head was "I paid $125 for this" and I was a little irritated. I shrugged it off and looked over the sprues, and then I noticed that the libby's force axe was bent... On this hard plastic, bending it back a little immediately produced pale pink lines and I've been doing this long enough to know that it'll snap if I try to get it all the way back. At this point I was actually miffed. Going through and popping out counters, I saw that the way the sprues were crammed in, some of the counters had been scuffed and damaged. Ugh. 

Again, I realize this is a lame thing to whine about, but I take my hobby expenditures very seriously, and this was a really big one. It took the wind right out of my sails that the packaging wasn't more careful for such a 'premium' game. Very few board games cost this much, and I never buy those ones so this was the most expensive one I've bought. Next to my Knight it's the most I've ever spent on a single purchase as well. I feel like if there were just one of these problems, I'd shrug it off. Two and I'd say I had a little bad luck. Three and I transfer the blame to GW, honestly. 

Has anyone else seen anything like this? If I'm the only one, fine. If it's an issue where they were rushing to get them out the door, that's pretty lame. 

I'll say once again, I'm fully aware that it's not a Big Deal®, but to me it is maybe a little. I don't think GW is evil, nor do I think they should send me a full replacement (I wouldn't say no, though...), but maybe a small token refund or something would be nice. I did email them with some pics but I'm not holding my breath. 

Well, my Sgt's Powersword was snapped in half and it doesn't look easy to glue back due to twisting. He will be getting a Dark Angels sword.

If I was a Blood Angels player I'd want him replaced.

Also the little pipes on a couple Genestealers are broken in different places.

Well, my Sgt's Powersword was snapped in half and it doesn't look easy to glue back due to twisting. He will be getting a Dark Angels sword.

If I was a Blood Angels player I'd want him replaced.

Also the little pipes on a couple Genestealers are broken in different places.

Ouch about the power sword. I wasnt even looking at those pipes because I thought they were supposed to look like that.

Guys, CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE.

:cuss happens. Very, very few companies turn out literally every single example of every product 100% perfectly. What counts is how they deal with issues when they arise, and GW are great at that.

They'll have a few copies held back for customer service replacements, get in touch with them before they're all gone.

Mine was pristine, for what it's worth.

From my experience and everything I have heard, GW's customer service is top notch.

Oh, I've never had any problems with them. I've emailed them a couple of times and been happy. Trying to decide if I should call, and I'm also under the impression the the US service isn't quite as good as the UK service, but I'm not really sure why I think that. 

Got a genestealer broken arm.

I guess the content of box is so heavy that it actually can cause damages depending on how it´s handle.

But I have seen how Chinese delivery guys handle the packages and I consider myself lucky on that one biggrin.png

Lol. Those boxes could be Clue weapons, to be sure. Heavy stuff.

Okay, so I emailed Gee Dubs last night and I got a response already, asking for my address and order number. They're sending me a new libby and the damaged counter sheet. Awesome! Saves me a phone call. I simply love the no-questions-asked (maybe that's because my email to them made it quite clear what happened...) policy of making things right. Stellar. I'll let y'all know when they arrive if you care.

Anyone else experiencing issues?

Anyone else experiencing issues? 

OK  this has been an unsolved mystery that I've always wondered about but not really cared too much about since it's the broodlord.

I have a 3rd ed. and  his side arms are jacked up.   I don't know how this could happen and thought maybe I got a knock off some how.

But yeah his Right Side is normal:

R. Front:  Claw  R. Rear: hand holding skull

Left Side is reversed and look like he's going to bonk someone over the head with a TDA helmet

L. Front: hand holding TDA helmet  L. Rear claw hand. 

The left side arms are molded together.  So there is no way to flip flop 'em.

I can't imagine how this mistake could of been made from a mold but would love to figure out this mystery.

I'll try to take a picture later.

Other than that everything was good.  Had a broken Nid hand but that was easily glued back in place.   

I think you may have just put the arms on backwards... I just did a quick image search and the fingered hands are both in back, while the claws are in front. It'd be an easy mistake to make on that model as they both have the same size pegs. 

That's what I thought when I assembled it. I couldn't figure it out because the arms were molded together as one piece. So I couldn't reverse them.

Here's a quick shot. It's been primed white just never got around to painting it.

http://www.sinofdamnation.com/images/shared%20pics/broodlord_left.jpg

I'll try to take a shot of the top showing the arms molded together. The 'bicep' part of the arm and the claw are both molded to what should of been the back arm.

http://www.sinofdamnation.com/images/shared%20pics/broodlord_bad_model.jpg

It's not a huge deal to me but it just like an odd defect coming out of a mold like that with the snap fit to the body lining up as it should.

EDIT:

**mystery solved**

Down to human error as usual wallbash.gif

Yeah, I almost did the arm upside down like that at first too. 

They're sending me a new libby and the damaged counter sheet.

Cool. So, how are you planning to convert that spare broken Librarian?

I figured I'd probably scrape the blood drops and give him a weapon swap of some kind, use him for my Eagle Eyes. I dunno. I wasn't really expecting a new one so I'll have to put some thought into it. 

Call them about any issue you have. Back in '09 I purchased 2 sets and one came completely without a set of the Terminator sprues. I emailed them initially and while I did get a quick response after 4 weeks of waiting I still hadn't received the replacement sprue. I called them and explained that I still hadn't received the replacement sprue. By this time they were out of the original space hulk sprues so they sent me two boxes of terminators (one assault and one standard), a terminator libby, a terminator captain and for the inconvience they even threw a termy chaplain! All of it was expressed mailed which I received in 4 days! The crazy thing was that a few days after all that arrived the original space hulk sprues showed up! I called and told them I'd return all the "extra" termies and they told me to keep it because the error was on their end. I've always had great success with GW's customer service. Glad to see they're still keeping up the trend!

Hahah, I also put the arm on upside down and was like... This is a stupid pose.

My box came through perfect. Really happy. Glad to hear they sorted out your problems guys. 

I've also had great luck with GW customer service. I once recieved a Tactical box missing a sprue, and they sent me a whole new one no questions asked.

Had one gene stealer with a hand broken off. Not sure if it broke during transport or when I unboxed it. I'm not concerned as a little glue will fix it right up.

My bigger concern is how to store these delicate models in the box without them breaking in the future!

Archived