A new edition and a new codex always take a while to settle in. Sounds like a fun game, even if things didn't exactly go according to plan.

I have a feeling you could use some melta in that list. Plasmaceptors are great but against stuff with damage reduction (Dreads, Wave Serpents, Death Guard), they struggle to take stuffdown. I have found a tag team of Plasmaceptors and a squadron of MM Attack bikes seems to cover all bases pretty well in 9th.

Yea the list is light (as in almost non-existent) on anti-tank, but the original concept (I used in my previous/1st game of 9th) is a deliberate Decapitation Strike designed to cut out enemy characters as quickly as possible and throw the enemy's plan in disarray. This one was modified to have the named characters, but they took away more than they added, I think. 

I was thinking of going heavy on Dreads, especially now that we can take Venerable Dreads. Couple Lascannon+fist guys spread out, then a primary shooting threat, and then keep many of the other elements the same. I just didn't have my act together enough to map out such a list before the game. 

My project over the Christmas holiday has been building a new Biker Captain based on the Outrider Sergeant from Indomitus. The only hard part was carving the helmet off the hip. Using one of the non-sergeant models would have avoided the problem by they both hold their swords left-handed and most of the cool looking swords are right-handed

Possible a few details here and there to add but he is basically finished now. I ended up raiding both Sanguinary Guard and Assault Terminator sets for extra parts to bling him up appropriately. I am pretty pleased with the way he has turned out. The right arm is magnetised so he can swing a Thunder Hammer instead if the urge takes me.

gallery_82363_13858_174505.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_267856.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_270281.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_270408.jpg

I've started building an Impulsor. After half-a-night's work it's still not entirely complete, but most things are done including magnets.

Have to say that it's a really good kit to work with despite the slow-going process of building it.

Plan is to have it ready for priming Today.

Happy new year to all.:yes:

RH have just released a not-Sanguinius and not-Astorath. Looking at them I'd say these were strictly display pieces and absolutely not for beginner level modelers. 

Linky and  linky

Disclaimer; RH stuff can vary in a million ways from nightmare assembly to diabolic vent location on their molds.  :eek:

Haven't been able to do anything with my BA nor IX Legion beyond finally putting this guy together (only 2 years [!!!!!!]) after I first got him:

Hidden Content

BA Contemptor unpainted

I am in a bottleneck with supplies for my BA/IX, due to my peculiar way of painting them, but once I get past that, what I plan to knock on out this year:

30k:

-15x Dawnbreakers

-5x Angel's Tears

-Raldoron (finish)

-Chaplain (finish)

-Forge Lord (finish)

-Primaris Apothecary (finish)

-3x Apothecary (finish)

-5x Crimson Paladins

-5x Nullifactors

-2x Dreadnought Drop Pods

-1x Deathstorm Drop Pod

-Contemptor Dreadnought

-Contemptor-Incaendius

-Leviathan (finish)

40k:

-9x Space Hulk Terminators (finish)

-2x Dreadnoughts (now Venerable, need to finish)

-maybe a Grav Cannon guy or two if I ever decide to run Tacticals

I also have a plan to kitbash some characters, mostly from 30k, some of which can be double-dipped in both 30k-40k, including a Legion Champion/Company Champion with some leftover coo bits (FW BA Upgrade stuff) I have left over. 

Hints: M'Kani Kano, Vitus Salicar. 

I also cranked through my remaining Audible credits (since their subscription system is stupid <grumble grumble>) so I wouldn't have to pay for another full year, thus leaving me with an embarrassment of riches when it comes to audiobooks to keep me going while accomplishing all of the above. I'm reserving Darkness in the Blood and the Mephiston trilogy specifically for cranking through the above. Also have Talon of Horus and ​Black Legion to listen to as ....umm....intelligence on our arch-foes. I hoped to get Astorath: something something of Mercy, but alas it did not reach Audible before I had to use up my credits. I also have been cranking through the Game of Thrones audiobooks on Audible and just have to plug them as fantastic audiobooks if you're into that sort of thing...the narration is just superb and really stands out compared to a lot of other ones, FWIW

Also want to complete a pet project of mine over in the Age of Darkness subforum, though I am woefully behind on it.

I have a lot of partially finished stuff, which is a problem of mine. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I often go weeks of doing nothing with my free time but paint, and then I'll go a month+ without touching a brush. So when I get back around to painting, I need a spark to get the juices flowing again which all too often is to start basecoating something new. For whatever reason I find Leadbelcher the most satisfying paint to apply to a model; once I start doing the metal bits I feel good and accomplished....maybe it's the shininess? <shrug> The other factor is that since I like playing first and foremost and the hobby aspect is something I unexpectedly have come to enjoy, I try to get things to "minimum table ready" standard as quickly as possible, and then go back and touch them up. This leads to my conundrum of having a to of stuff "painted" but not really truly painted by my own standards. 

...there's also the small issue that I have not been able to and will likely continue to not be able to play as much as I like, which may or may not have led me to pick up all sorts of other models or even armies <gulp> to keep my sanity during COVID...

But there is a silver lining to everything and for me, 2021 is the year of minimum purchases and maximum painting output, for better and worse, so I'm looking forward to cranking things out. 

Sorry, @Jolemai, but I don't think my stuff will count towards any ETL this year both b/c of so much of it in a half-done state and because if I don't get going on it now, I may never finish it off. 

Edited by Indefragable

Great pose on that Contemptor, Indy. Looks stubborn. Can confirm grav cannons are great. The range boost and flat 2D makes them relevant in the game. It has the power to one-shot a dreadnought, which is always valuable. 

Thanks. I can't help but wonder if I built him wrong since he feels so.....thick compared to so many other Contemptors out there. Contemptors always felt relatively tall and skinny compared to other Dreadnough types, especially in official depictions, but my boy feels swole. That's good I guess? lol

And yea I have some grav cannon dudes laying around that I got in a trade years ago that I've never actually used. Maybe I'll finally put them to use. 

Thanks. I can't help but wonder if I built him wrong since he feels so.....thick compared to so many other Contemptors out there.

I think people usually try and have super dynamic poses with them, which elongates the body and makes them look thinner maybe? Some of the best contemptors and Leviathans I've seen are relatively 'at ease' poses, but ones that really get the sheer bulk of the dread across.  

Can confirm grav cannons are great. The range boost and flat 2D makes them relevant in the game. It has the power to one-shot a dreadnought, which is always valuable.

The range of the Grav Cannon means they synergise well with the rest of the Tactical squad's weaponry and 4 shots means you will likely get some hits, even when moving.

No one-shotting Dreads though since they all have the -1 Damage reduction rule baked in. :wink:

Today I've been slowly finishing up some Assault Intercessors that have taken me the best part of nearly two weeks, in small doses. It's funny, the better I get with a paintbrush, the longer everything takes, because I'm not content to do anything but my best work... And the more daunting the pile of shame starts to look :sweat:

But while I'm working, I've been pondering- How worthwhile is the chapter master upgrade?

Re-rolling all hits is great, but at 40 points... Is it worth it, when you were already re-rolling 1s, and you could buy, say, one extra Eradicator for that price? For a Blood Angels army, I don't think we'd be getting the full value out of it, because we would want to put it to use in melee, where chances are it's only being used on one small-ish unit. Seems like it's just a bit too pricey to make the cut for me.

But while I'm working, I've been pondering- How worthwhile is the chapter master upgrade?

Re-rolling all hits is great, but at 40 points... Is it worth it, when you were already re-rolling 1s, and you could buy, say, one extra Eradicator for that price? For a Blood Angels army, I don't think we'd be getting the full value out of it, because we would want to put it to use in melee, where chances are it's only being used on one small-ish unit. Seems like it's just a bit too pricey to make the cut for me.

The CM rerolls can be applied to Characters, not just Core. This means he can give himself rerolls if you wish. Handy if he is packing something like a Thunder hammer.

The upgrade also grants access to the Angel Artifice Relic which is quite handy for +1T, +1W and a 2+ save. Put that on a Bike Captain with Storm Shield and combine with the Iron Will WLT and suddenly you have a seriously tanky character with T6, 8W and 1+/4++/6+++ saves.

It's not an auto-take upgrade but I can definitely see some specific uses for it if you tailor your build to suit.

Can confirm grav cannons are great. The range boost and flat 2D makes them relevant in the game. It has the power to one-shot a dreadnought, which is always valuable.

The range of the Grav Cannon means they synergise well with the rest of the Tactical squad's weaponry and 4 shots means you will likely get some hits, even when moving.

No one-shotting Dreads though since they all have the -1 Damage reduction rule baked in. :wink:

Grav cannon is 30" range now! Good catch on Duty Eternal, last game my opponent was using the old rules so didn't have it on their dread.

The CM rerolls can be applied to Characters, not just Core. This means he can give himself rerolls if you wish. Handy if he is packing something like a Thunder hammer.

Just had another thought. Full rerolls are good if there is any -1 to-Hit penalties in play. Units Advancing with Assault Weapons get a particular boost from the full rerolls, as do Terminators with Fists/Hammers.

Good insights, cheer fellas. Gives me some food for thought- I do have a chunk of Thunder Hammer Terminators, taking a Chapter Master along with them would no doubt increase their potency nicely. I had been thinking a Terminator Librarian with Veil of Time and Might of Heroes would be the go-to buffer for them, but a Captain with Icon of the Angel would be a nice two in one beatstick and buffer.

So a couple of questions regarding our rules (I’m putting a lot of thought into what I’ll be doing with my chapter and such):

For the way the crusade rules are set up, warlords can only have one warlord trait max and one non crusade relic, however we have a warlord trait that allows two “relics” (with stipulations), does this warlord trait work?

Furthermore, we can’t use Strats that allow those requisitions, so I assume we can’t use the two warlord trait strat?

Furthermore, if I’m reading correct Savage Echoes means anyone who can use the combat doctrines has an extra charge attack on the assault doctrine, does this stack with the Black Rage extra charge attack? Or is there only a +1 limit?

Also, again for the crusade rules, what about the Lucifer Partern engines, honored by the Arx, and Angel Ascendant?

Edited by Arkangilos

Furthermore, if I’m reading correct Savage Echoes means anyone who can use the combat doctrines has an extra charge attack on the assault doctrine, does this stack with the Black Rage extra charge attack? Or is there only a +1 limit?

Yes, Savage Echoes stacks with Black Rage, Charge bonus, chainswords etc. This means Death Company can easily get 6 or more attacks per model in the first round of combat by the time you hit T3.

Yes, Savage Echoes stacks with Black Rage, Charge bonus, chainswords etc. This means Death Company can easily get 6 or more attacks per model in the first round of combat by the time you hit T3.
Thanks!

Follow up question for everyone:

I don’t want my chapter to be Primaris exclusive, so lore wise why would chapters make both? And how do you think they would decide who goes where? Have you guys done thinking for your BA’s and successors for this?

Since the BA use different methods than regular chapters for implantation what do you all think?

Edited by Arkangilos

Thanks!

Follow up question for everyone:

I don’t want my chapter to be Primaris exclusive, so lore wise why would chapters make both? And how do you think they would decide who goes where? Have you guys done thinking for your BA’s and successors for this?

Since the BA use different methods than regular chapters for implantation what do you all think?

Those who eat organic = regular marines.

Those who eat GMO = Primaris.

In the majority of cases, only newly founded Chapters are likely to be purely Primaris. Existing Chapters are likely to have hundreds of existing Firstborn Marines created before the Primaris arrived. These guys are not going to suddenly retire just because bigger brothers have arrived.

Also, it is likely that Firstborn Marines will continue to be created in existing Chapters for some time to come. From a practical point of view, much of the Chapter's vehicles are wargear is built to suit Firstborn Marines. If they disappeared, that would mean no Terminators, Sanguinary Guard, Jump Pack assault squads, aircraft or many tanks. Ditching Firstborn would leave big gaps in their tactical capabilities.

From a more spiritual point of view, Geneseed is regarded with near sacred reverence as a living link to Sanguinius and a gift from the Emperor. They are not going to start throwing out Firstborn geneseed and abandon 9000+ years of tradition.

In the background, the Scythes of the Emperor are one of a few Chapters confirmed to have transitioned from an established Chapter to a pure Primaris chapter but this was exceptional. The Chapter had been reduced to just a handful of Marines by Genestealer infiltration of their Homeworld of Sotha followed by the invasion of Hivefleet Kraken. With their legacy secured by reinforcements of Primaris Marines in the Indomitus Crusade, the last surviving Firstborn Scythes decided to remove the stain on their Chapter's honour by launching a suicidal purge of the last remaining Genestealers on Sotha. This secured the future of the Chapter while allowing their Primaris successors to move on, free from the failures of the past.

At the end of Devastation of Baal, it is said that the Primaris geneseed can be implanted in some recruits that would have rejected firstborn geneseed. With a larger recruitment pool, chapters could use Primaris geneseed for the "lesser" recruits and then use firstborn geneseed for the others. Assuming that they didn't have enough Primaris geneseed to make all of them Primaris. I assume chapters would still try to make as many recruits as possible, so if using firstborn geneseed is a way for that to happen, I don't see why they would change. At least that is how I look at it.