Now if only they'd fix things so blood angels could actually use them

I think this is a clear indication that they don't think it needs fixing, because to them you can already do that.

At any rate, I suppose I agree with you. It would be nice for them to say that it was official, so that you wouldn't have to worry about people saying no.

Edited by Arkangilos

"Now, while there are no official rules for Cataphractii Terminators in Blood Angels armies, you can still use the datasheet for them found in Angels of Death. When we play with them in our Blood Angels force around here, though, we replace the Chapter Tactics special rule with the more Blood Angel-y Furious Charge. Sanguinius approved – Enjoy!"

That's all I need.

Oh boy......

"Just use it" is the death sentence of the gaming aspect of a hobby like this. What's the point of even having Codices if they don't mean anything? 

Before I go off on a rant, I'll keep it short.

Hidden Content

But suffice to say, it's one thing if you're in a basement with some beers and buddies messing around. It's another if you are in a pickup setting or in any even remotely organized form of play. 

Why?

Think of basketball. Anywhere in the world you go, everyone who steps onto that court has some idea of how the game is played. 

Now imagine you step onto a court against some new people and one of them picks up the basketball and runs it to the basket like a runningback in american football. You're like "umm....ok?" and then that person replies "oh, well we aren't good at dribbling so we just say you don't have to if you don't want to." 

You can see where the analogy goes from there.

Wanting to  play by the rules does NOT mean you are a :cuss , just like wanting to house rule some things does not mean you're out to completely break the system. However, at some point "just use it" is a cover-up for the designers' laziness. 

The only thing that any two given 40k players have in common is the official rules and Codices as they written. Anything else is an opinion or customized variation of that. Therefore, anyone who only wants to play by those rules has "right of way" so to speak. It may come off like :cuss move, but it's the simple facts. See basketball analogy above. 

That is why so many of us are so insistent and critical of the way rules are written. 

Only it's not "just use it" it's, "it makes sense for you to have it, so take it." It's not a pass to use everything. Basically it's "use common sense. Does it make sense for the Blood Angels to have a land speeder storm or catephractii terminators, something they would have?" The answer is yes, and honestly if you can't be willing to budge on that you aren't worth my time to play with.

It's not like they are saying to "just do it" obviously you don't like talk to your opponents about it.

It is OBVIOUS from their OWN rulebook, blogs, etc. that they don't want it played in the strict rule lawyering way.

Your example of sports is a terrible idea, by the way. Other than professional level sports (in this case from both school to actual professional sports), all kinds of houserules exist.

If you can't have fun because you have to follow the rules like the Bible then that's on you, but it's clear that that's not want GW wants so don't bitch about taking their toys more seriously than them.

And in my opinion, it's not on GW to fix your community.

(This is so odd, because anywhere else I'm almost always black and white for rules).

Edited by Arkangilos

Yeah I know tournaments and pick up games yadda yadda, but heck it's a game and we're all grown, we can do whatever we want.

I was listening to Preferred Enemies podcast with my gf in the room and she laughed hysterically every time they mentioned "legal" or "official" in regards to the game we all play for fun, I mean we do take this a little too serious sometimes.

It can be either, but ideally you'd have it assembled and undercoated.

Prior to the start of the ETL to save time.

Then throw in another squad, lol.

So it can be primed even? Basically anything that isn't fully painted?

What does the word primed mean to you? If it's what I mean by undercoated, then yes. If you mean basecoated, then no (unless the basecoat = the undercoat such as on DC).

Here's the rules for last year's event:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322374-e-tenebrae-lux-v/?p=4393799

It will certainly help you get a quick, smooth basecoat down on your marines!

If you do decide to invest, there are some other things you'll need though:

- spray booth / extractor

- cleaning pot / holder

- cleaning brushes and fluid

- quick release for the airbrushes (not essential but very useful)

- respirator / mask (not essential, but healthier)

It looks like the set I started with. The airbrushes aren't great quality, but the gravity-fed one is ok to start with. I would sell the suction-fed one on eBay.

The compressor is great, lasted me 8 years, just replaced it with the same model.

That's kind of a broad question... a bit like asking if driving a car is difficult. It is if you've never done it before, but when you know how it's really not.

So the answer is no, but it does take some practice and some getting used to. You need to learn things like how much air pressure to use, and how thin the paints should be.

Once you've mastered the basics you will be able to get a nice, smooth basecoat down on your models much quicker than by brush. When you become more proficient you can do gradients and other effects.

One thing that offsets the cost in the long run is you can prime your models with the airbrush wasting much less paint than when you use a spray can, and you'll use less paint in general too.

Search "airbrushing for beginners" on YouTube - there are loads of videos on the subject to give you a feel for it.

Edited by LutherMax

Is airbrushing difficult?  I wouldn't want to blow that amount of money for poor results :/

There's a steep learning curve, but once you get the essential concepts down it does, eventually, make life a lot easier. Checking Youtube is a really good recommendation too.

Is airbrushing difficult?  I wouldn't want to blow that amount of money for poor results :/

Airbrushes are tools and just like any tool you have to learn how to use it and use it for the right purpose; it's not, some seem to think, a panacea for lack of skill. It'll also never fully replace your brushes unless you choose to ignore a lot of the fine detail on models.

Airbrushes are tools and just like any tool you have to learn how to use it and use it for the right purpose; it's not, some seem to think, a panacea for lack of skill. It'll also never fully replace your brushes unless you choose to ignore a lot of the fine detail on models.

Thanks for all the answers guys, I think I'll hold off getting one for the moment, will probably get one when I plan on getting a storm raven though.