*** Incoming message ***

Intel incorrect, no sign of Xenos activity. Returning to base...

Air support requested! Renegade Imperial Knight Detachment sighted! For Sanguinius, and The Emperor!

Heavy damage sustained, but the objectives are secure. Additional reinforcements required to track down the surviving Knight. Relics safe.

*** Message ends ***

I've been really struggling to get hobby time lately. Part of the problem is general lack of time, but I think more than that is that none of my friends have wanted to play for a while. I usually have to work during the times FLGSs around here have games set up. Playing is usually what motivates me to get stuff painted. On top of that, my wife is trying to convince me to get into Age of Sigmar so she can, too. So, there's a very good chance I am going to be absent for a while (I'll get my vows done first, at least).

In case anyone is interested 'Mephiston: Blood of Sanguinius' was released today. I recommend it, it give some awesome descriptions of Baal and Mephistons power level (insane).

Also they even call out a name for Mephistons librarius conclave, our Quorum Empyric lol

Bit of a summary of what I managed to get done yesterday

• new Baal predator almost ready for priming
  • 5x more death company built and ready for priming too
  • Test bases done (messing about with stirland mud/ battlemire
  • Ordered the FW legion Praetors and Mk5 Dread multi melta.

And now the to do list

• Get about 35 models painted up to a tabletop standard for a trip to Warhammer World in 3 weeks (including next weekend away...)
  • Make and convert the power armoured legion praetor into my captain
  • buy make and paint a Rhino
  • Strip and re-paint a Dreadnought (May just end up using my contemptor as a proxy)

The best analogy I can think of to describe my mental state is that of a Legionary of the IX staring from the walls of the Imperal Palace at the traitor hordes massed below.

Edited by Lord Janos

Good luck with the above! Red spray is your friend.

Yesterday I pulled my finger out and built a predator mash up of the new rhino with old metal predator upgrades.

I seem to have a certain paralysis when it comes to building vehicles that I just don't want to start in case I mess it up. I need to break out of that funk, haha.

I seem to have a certain paralysis when it comes to building vehicles that I just don't want to start in case I mess it up. I need to break out of that funk, haha.

I have that with just about all my models. Not so much worried that I'll mess up the painting, more that I keep doubting if I've configured them the right way. I end up spending hours checking the Codex and making notes on weapon setups rather than just getting on with the painting...

Good luck with the above! Red spray is your friend.

I had not even considered that as an option... looks like I'll be nipping down to GW to get some on Friday then when i get the Rhino!

Edited by Lord Janos

Haha, showing my age there...It was 'new' when I was only about 15, but it's still the new version to me. I remember the days before there was a vindicator model...

Lord Janos, army painter dragon red is close to mephiston, but has a slightly darker and more shiny finish, so you can tell when you touch up stuff with meph. Red if you look closely. No difference from a distance though. However the meph red spray ruins models in my experience if you try to do a few coats. What I've started doing is a first all over coat of army painter, which is the better primer, then one thin coat of meph red spray over the top to make the colour match the rest of my army. That's how I did the flame Baal in my plog.

However the meph red spray ruins models in my experience.

Heartily recommend NOT USING the Meph spray. It ruined a lot of the detail on some of my models.

If you do use it, literally one small coat with a quick even passover. It goes on thiccccc.

I have that with just about all my models. Not so much worried that I'll mess up the painting, more that I keep doubting if I've configured them the right way. I end up spending hours checking the Codex and making notes on weapon setups rather than just getting on with the painting...

I know what you mean. I used to spend all my time doing the same, trying to have the optimal build etc. and the dithering stopped me from building. 

The I realised that the time I spend dithering was the equivalent of X amount of money working, and for that I could make a unit, then just buy more models instead of dithering.

It's led to a large surplus, but I'm working my way through, and amassing a large collection :)

Right.... The Apocalypse that me and our Resident Reclusiarch shall be attending is now approaching fast and I haven't really painted much of anything since then (besides my shocking attempt at the ETL this year... :wink: ) so going to kick myself in the behind and get some stuff done.

While I'll mainly be focusing on my Ad Mech and Talons of the Emperor (depending on how much I buy.....) I'm aiming to get a good chunk of BA finished so I have some new stuff to field.

I think I'd really like to get a 3rd Storm Raven to run the formation, but I would also need another 20 tacs... So perhaps not...

Regardless, I've had some Terminators in a half finished state for ages so I'm going to aim for at least:

OIF (maybe make some cool hybrids using the Cataphracti I just got)

Leviathan + Dread Pod (hoping it comes back on FW soon....)

A few characters so I can stop using random SG models as Chaplains :tongue.:

Touch up my old DC (painted well over a decade ago and falling apart)

Touch up some of my old tanks

Finish my Bikes (because far and away fallen on love with them since the addition of Grav - they skirt the perfect balance of speed and not too much threat when DC are blaring down at the enemy).

Edited by Charlo

While I'll mainly be focusing on my Ad Mech and Talons of the Emperor (depending on how much I buy.....) I'm aiming to get a good chunk of BA finished so I have some new stuff to field.

Maybe don't buy new stuff until you get your old stuff painted? You'll still run into the same problems, but have less time and money than if you paint assembled models you already own :) 

Maybe don't buy new stuff until you get your old stuff painted? You'll still run into the same problems, but have less time and money than if you paint assembled models you already own :smile.:

Aye that's just it really.

With Talons though, I've signed up to a slow-grow campaign at my club (starts in april with 1000 points) so need to get that at least done.

....I've also been slowly hoarding Ad Mech since they got released (I have 1 box of Skitarii, a few old school enginseers, box o' robots, 6 Kataphrons....) :tongue.:

I'd also love to give the 1KSons legion a good go of, but I'm holding off on those for sure baha! 

PLUSSSSS while I have some decent armies, my force at the Apoc is a little undermined by the fact I do not have a single Superheavy of any kind... So I'm tempted to rectify this too.

Edited by Charlo

Maybe don't buy new stuff until you get your old stuff painted? You'll still run into the same problems, but have less time and money than if you paint assembled models you already own :smile.:

Aye that's just it really.

With Talons though, I've signed up to a slow-grow campaign at my club (starts in april with 1000 points) so need to get that at least done.

....I've also been slowly hoarding Ad Mech since they got released (I have 1 box of Skitarii, a few old school enginseers, box o' robots, 6 Kataphrons....) :tongue.:

I'd also love to give the 1KSons legion a good go of, but I'm holding off on those for sure baha! 

PLUSSSSS while I have some decent armies, my force at the Apoc is a little undermined by the fact I do not have a single Superheavy of any kind... So I'm tempted to rectify this too.

Thats a lot of ambition - just dont forget to manage expectations, it's easy to get carried away and over-commit, then get done over by real life intervening. How many points did you manage over 5 months in ETL? That should be a good guide as to how much you can realistically paint per month :)