I hear you... though I bet discovering that every 40k player on earth had PDF-bootlegs of all the new 8th edition stuff before it was released has them weary to do a full digital conversion at this time.

Honestly, while I'm so tired of throwing away money with 40k, I'm sure we can use our imaginations to fill in context there; I am happy to pay for something like this - that steers the ship in the right direction.

I hear you... though I bet discovering that every 40k player on earth had PDF-bootlegs of all the new 8th edition stuff before it was released has them weary to do a full digital conversion at this time.

Honestly, while I'm so tired of throwing away money with 40k, I'm sure we can use our imaginations to fill in context there; I am happy to pay for something like this - that steers the ship in the right direction.

I don't think piracy is the issue. Digital versions are available right now but all the pre-release leaks (and indeed post release pirated copies) seem to be photographed / scanned copies of the printed versions!

In reality I think it's equally easy to pirate either type of publication.

You could say though, being cynical, that you can leverage more repeat income by invalidating a physical product than a digital one, because digital can be updated, whereas physical copies have to be replaced entirely.

Or it could just be that some people genuinely want the weight of dead trees in their hands and the smell of ink in their noses.

I don't think piracy is the issue. Digital versions are available right now but all the pre-release leaks (and indeed post release pirated copies) seem to be photographed / scanned copies of the printed versions!

That's because the printed version was released to distributors before the digital version was released - digital copies come out in release day, so any leak *has* to be of the physical copy.

Once the digital version is out there, though, I'd wager it would be pirated much more.

At the risk of drifting off topic, I'm glad to see in not to only one finding it chore to keep on top of stuff. I haven't bought any indexes, and i probably won't be buying a codex, purely to avoid wasting money. I bought the traitor legion book, and never got to use it before it was replaced.

Nah those Russian sites have all the digital / searchable Index/Rulebooks/Codex in PDF... but whatever I really have no idea as to GW's motivation for things.

As it stands now stuff is kinda spread out again... Index, codex, FAQ's, and Community Page posts that aren't always easy to find etc... I think the Chapter Approved book is a good idea; I can just see it being errata'd after the first week hah.

Anyway - This weekend I have a 2000 point game versus Dark Eldar, maybe Sisters or Chaos as well incoming.

If GW wanted to actually cut down on piracy, they would give you the pdf for free if you bought a physical copy.

But paying for both is naff, and paying full price for a digital copy is also naff.

Hence, people just find the pdf online, even if they buy a physical book as well.

If GW wanted to actually cut down on piracy, they would give you the pdf for free if you bought a physical copy.

But paying for both is naff, and paying full price for a digital copy is also naff.

Hence, people just find the pdf online, even if they buy a physical book as well.

So many of their policies, even with "new GW," baffle me.

Think of the whole Ultraviolet thing with movies: you can buy a physical disc which also gives you a digital copy to store in their cloud vault or whatever. It makes perfect sense to me: your are purchasing the content, regardless of the medium.

I've never understood why GW also hasn't done bundles with books and things. The "get started with BA" book bundle that had BRB, Codex, painting guide, etc... all for a reasonable discount. They turn a $50 sale into a $120 sale instead of pretending people will pay $150. I was always taught make it easy for your customers to spend money.

Been playing a good amount lately, having more fun with BA than I have in a long time but still mostly losing - though through sheer laziness I refused to change my list and had some bad matchups.

I've been trying hard to make SG work but I think I might finally drop them for more troops. I'm just finding that they need too much support to really be effective and so I have a conga line of expensive buff characters jangling around with these guys which is now really difficult to get everyone into combat while keeping the characters from getting shot. The unit itself is just way to expensive for what it does without buffs imo.

I'm gonna hold off on punchy dreads until the codex comes as well... my friends know to just tarpit them with cheap troops (ARRG pink horrors!) and while he does a lot of damage he doesn't do many wounds, so he can be great against armour, but chaff doesn't care.

Also finding that the Librarian is kind of a must have, especially if you play against psychic heavy opponents. Smite has probably killed my stormraven more than effectively than any shooting so far.

Anyway the only thing I'm really hating right now is that the entire army is built around buff characters, because having them all be separate units is just a pain.

Possibly the stupidest/weirdest question you guys will see on this forum, but my OCD requires I ask...

Blood Angel shoulder pads, the ones in the BA Tactical box have ridged, detailed wings. The ones on the upgrade sprue have flat wings.

Would mixing them together bother anyone else?

Why the hell does it bother me?

Surely it's not just me...?

I see it as a part of the individuality of a BA marine's armour - they use it as another art canvas to channel their Thirst. My squads have a mix of the small & flat style from the upgrade sprue, greenstuff moulded ones from old DC pads, older still 'paint' (i.e. transfers), forgeworld terminator pads and a few of the larger sculpted ones from the 2015 tac squad - which themselves vary in style quite a bit from single wing+drop to all sorts of bits. Plus of course the various sculpted in twiddly bits across the rest of the armour. But then my marines date from a wide range of kits over the years, with mix-n-match between them so they're not even uniform height.

But if it bothers you, it bother you, there's no one right way to model them (as long as they're not just green army men!) You can always get more tac squad shoulders via ebay.

Got my Fire Raptor's techmarines fully painted and ready to do some OSL..

Which begs the question:

If I make the instrument panels the source of light, should I airbrush the instrument panel itself with light, or just hand paint the monitors and panels with the brightest light (green/red) colors and airbrush the OSL effects on everything else (cockpit, crew) with a less-bright color..?

Sorry for the convoluted sentence. 

Played a 2v2 last night. Nurgle and khorne csm vs my ba and 2 knights

I made it rain 10 and 11 inch charges

Dante rolling up the board with assbacks full of sternguard and death company.

Sternguard are amazing with their -2 30in bolters. They piled out of their destroyed assbacks and just evaporated enemy units.

Got my Fire Raptor's techmarines fully painted and ready to do some OSL..

Which begs the question:

If I make the instrument panels the source of light, should I airbrush the instrument panel itself with light, or just hand paint the monitors and panels with the brightest light (green/red) colors and airbrush the OSL effects on everything else (cockpit, crew) with a less-bright color..?

Sorry for the convoluted sentence.

Google plane cockpit at night. I can't imagine having a bunch of bright buttons blinding the pilot would be sensible.

I'd go with a faint glow from the scope that's close to the pilots eye, or from tinted windows.

Had a game against Eldar yesterday, won 6-2.

*cough*redmarines*cough*

List please? *cough, cough* :whistling:

I buyed me my third contempter (relic this time). Got my brothers experience with them along our ba forces?

Edited by Riot Earp

I think I am O.K. with this outcome:

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/101/g8fGU6.jpg

I did the cockpit empty first with some blue tac as physical obstruction, heavy with the airbrush

and then I stuck the pilot in and gently did the rest. The red actually ate quite a bit of green before it started transforming.

Impressive Orb! Are those FW Raven Guard packs?

I re-based the last of my older models on to 32mm using adapters. Still need to add PVA / sand to the rim and paint them...

How did that go? I'm afraid of their being a noticeable gap with them. But they seem like way less work than a total rebasing.

Impressive Orb! Are those FW Raven Guard packs?

I re-based the last of my older models on to 32mm using adapters. Still need to add PVA / sand to the rim and paint them...

How did that go? I'm afraid of their being a noticeable gap with them. But they seem like way less work than a total rebasing.

They work great! I used these ones:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/bols123.jpg

From here in the UK: http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/product_info.php/tabletop-adapters-25mm-to-32mm-adapter-p-6052

Or here in the US: http://ttadapters.com/index.php/product/10x-adapters-25-32mm/

I've been covering the join with an 'overspill' of sand/PVA. You could use plastic glue and then sand it down, or green stuff if you can be bothered. I then just add sand/PVA to the extra diameter on the top and drybrush to blend in with the original base.

Had a game against Eldar yesterday, won 6-2.

*cough*redmarines*cough*

List please? *cough, cough* :whistling:

I played with my friend who runs Crimson Fists. It was an evening game so just 1k points. We took a Battalion as follows:

HQ

Captain (jump pack, Teeth of Terra)

Lieutenant (jump pack)

TROOPS

Tactical squad x10 (plasma gun, missile launcher)

Scout squad x5 (cloaks, sniper rifles, missile launcher)

Scout squad x5 (cloaks, sniper rifles, missile launcher)

FAST ATTACK

Land speeder (assault cannon, heavy bolter)

Land speeder (assault cannon, heavy bolter)

Land speeder (multi-melta, heavy flamer)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Whirlwind (Castellan launcher, HK missile, storm bolter)

Whirlwind (Castellan launcher, HK missile, storm bolter)

In the past when I've played BA against this Eldar army it's always me charging headlong to get into combat and getting shot to bits. With this list we turned it on its head and forced him to come to us. We made extensive use of the Strategem that allows the Whirlwinds to auto-hit targets within 12" of a Speeder, and the Captain & Lieutenant giving re-rolls of 1s to hit and wound worked well.

I will write up a report when I get a chance, although I didn't take many pics due to time.

Edited by LutherMax

I found my untouched (save the mini codex) Shield of Baal box set. That and the new Sanguinary Priest. Ignoring my BA successor DIY, I decided to return to one of my favourite Chapters of all time.

Flesh Tearers! (Rogue Trader Era ftw! ) ^_^

I've spent the last few days lurking in this forum for a recipe to get the shade of red I want. I've seen it, but topics, both and off the BnC haven't got the breakdown for it. I watched the GW video on how to paint FT red. It's good, but not quite dark enough. Hell, I've seen the exact shade in this forum in the past, but can I find it?! :lol: