I've been a big supporter of this for a while. Except I like to bring in a priest or JP priest or a second pod with a priest, librarian, and an additional squad.

Though nifty, I guess I don't exactly see what should be going inside the thing. I feel that shooting at a 4+ (heavy weapons) lends towards weight of fire and only heavy bolters do that. So is the goal to drop them 36" away from something and dakka them down? I am wondering if I am somehow missing the context.

You can set them up anywhere, so you drop them up high or in cover 18" or more away.

If you're facing MEQ, or GEG, heavy bolters, grav, and plasma are all fantastic options. average 16 plasma shots from cannons is really awesome. Plus if you take a combi-x on the sergeant it is added dakka. And you have the Cherubs of course.

Back them with an Ancient/librarian, and priest, and you have a strong durable firing point you can essentially place anywhere on the board.

Better having a unit of Heavy weapon Devastators on a high up mid-field objective turn 1 than having to walk them there first.^^

Tho the Droppod is a little bit expensive for that imo.

The Drop Pod seems like an odd choice for a unit with long ranged firepower. Really you want a unit with powerful but short-ranged firepower. Sternguard seem like the best option.

The problem is that Company Vets with JPs can do plasma/melta spam cheaper than a drop pod (the fact that Scions can do the same even cheaper is just wrong :sad.: ).

Well yeah Drop Pods are in an odd spot. They give units without Jump Packs/Terminator armor the ability to deep strike...but everything those units can do after arriving on the board can be done by the elite units with Jump Packs as well. I'd say it's 1st world problems of BA because we have access to so many Jump Pack units but Jump Pack Vanguards aren't exactly something only we can take. ^^

The Drop Pod seems like an odd choice for a unit with long ranged firepower. Really you want a unit with powerful but short-ranged firepower. Sternguard seem like the best option.

Or, y'know, multimelta devastators :happy.:

2x dev squads is 8 multimeltas within 12" turn 1.

Drop Dante down next to them and everything is golden.

Or, y'know, multimelta devastators :happy.:

2x dev squads is 8 multimeltas within 12" turn 1.

Drop Dante down next to them and everything is golden.

Throw a company ancient in there too, so when MMs die they shoot again..

Still though, I don't know about paying 90 pts for a drop pod though.. I suppose in a DP+Flier Alpha list it could work. 2 SR carrying troops for deployment on-board and the rest in DPs to unload fire and fury

8 MMs plus Dante for full rerolls will kill anything short of a Land Raider in one turn. The problem is that it costs ~650 points (more if you want to add an Ancient). A LR costs about half of that and you can bet your Devastators will receive a lot of attention the next turn. If you deploy them with Lascannons, in cover, away from the front lines, they are likely to survive much longer and will probably kill more over the course of the battle.

8 MMs plus Dante for full rerolls will kill anything short of a Land Raider in one turn. The problem is that it costs ~650 points (more if you want to add an Ancient). A LR costs about half of that and you can bet your Devastators will receive a lot of attention the next turn. If you deploy them with Lascannons, in cover, away from the front lines, they are likely to survive much longer and will probably kill more over the course of the battle.

If I need to kill a Knight or Taunar that squad is worth it.

I disagree.  You are stacking fragile points on fragile points to get a damage double roll.  Yes deep strike melta is good.  Many cheaper and therefore better ways to do that.  Lascannon for devs.  Put your multimeltas on attack bikes and storm ravens. Drop pods are points sinks.  That one is a sad realization I had to come to as well; I was a beta strike list player for a good portion of my 40k lifetime.  Sadly that ship has sailed.  Bye bye furioso! Anyone wanna buy a few red drop pods?  Anyone?

The problem is it just isn't worth it. 8 MM shots at -1 to hit but with rerolls from Dante give 6 hits on average. Against a T8 Knight you will get 3 wounds of which 1 will be saved by the Ion Shield. The 2 wounding hits do D6 each although you get to roll twice and pick the best result. That is only an average of 9 wounds which is barely a third of the Knight's total wounds so not even enough to degrade his stats. If you count the Signum's +1 to hit on one MM and spend both Cherub's you might take the Knight to half damage if you are lucky. Next turn you can guarantee he will shoot one Dev squad and stomp on the other to ensure they don't put in a repeat performance. Dante might survive to run away but you have still blown the same points as the Knight and not even half-killed it whereas he will kill the points sent against him in return.

Now imagine 2 squads of Devastators with 4 Lascannons apiece positioned well back from the front lines. They can normally stand still so hit on 3s. They are also S9 so wound the Knight on 3s. 8 Shots gives you an average of 8 wounds after Ion shield etc. So for 340 points you have done 1 point less damage than the 650 point MM Pod + Dante setup. Also you have done without exposing the Devastators so much. It will take the Knight at least a couple of turns before he is in range to assault. If he shoots it will be against targets that are hopefully in cover for a +1 save and if the Dev squads are not next to each other, even if he assaults 1 the other can keep shooting. The Devs will bring down the Knight in 3 turns if they are not stopped and because they have not had to deploy in the enemy's face, they are much more likely to survive for those turns.

Lascannons parked in cover with a good field of fire will cause more wounds for your points than trying to DS multi-meltas. This is in part due to the cost of the pod and in part the -1 to hit for moving a firing heavy weapons. Deep Striking meltacide just doesn't work well enough in 8th edition to justify the points. If you want to do it, 3x Scion Command squads with melta guns and an HQ can bring 4 special weapons to bear each, do not suffer -1 to hit and come with Deep Strike built-in.

Honestly, I don't bring Dante. I put them in a drop pod to 1) keep them alive against an alpha strike and 2) it gives me the perfect placement for the squad. I usually set them up ontop of ruins or some other vantage point so they rock a 2+ save, and can be brought back if they die.

I don't always put them within 12" either, sometimes I just drop them 18" or more away because of their range. When you start comparing them to attack bikes, you're better off taking the razorback variant because it is only marginally more expensive than the attack bike with a huge advantage in surviorability.

I've had some good success with it but dice are fickle I've hit with all 8 shots and I've missed with all 8.

Out of curiosity, does anyone specifically remember an instance where Blood Angels and Mordian Iron Gards were allies in the same battle? I am asking for a friend...:ph34r.:

No, but that's no reason not to use them both in the same army. I'm sure there are plenty of battles fought that aren't mentioned in the fluff because they weren't THAT important and there's also no reason why it couldn't happen in the near future which of course still has to be written. :wink:

Common people i'm done with half of my vow despite paralell learing for some exams. Just do it.

Mate, I know you're German and English is a second language, but this gave me a chuckle. I realize what you mean, but the first time I read it, I thought peasants and commoners not Come On. <3:laugh.:

I thought the same thing lol! I was think common people like peasants ^_^

Out of curiosity, does anyone specifically remember an instance where Blood Angels and Mordian Iron Gards were allies in the same battle? I am asking for a friend...:ph34r.:

Yes.

In first BA codex "Angels of Death" ...page 22, the first real fluff sidebar in the book is a story about Blood Angels fighting along side the Mordian Iron Guard.

Sergeant Mordax lead the Mordians (this is pre Matt Ward too haha) and they were both fighting against "rebels" under Lord Varlak during "Varlak's Rebellion". The Mordians are pretty horrified by the Blood Angels though and compare their savage slaughter to Tyranids.

Just want to add to the drop pod discussion. 

Drop pods are a little strange and the only reason I can see someone wanting to take them is to attempt to block firing lanes or create an anvil for your hammer. The problem is that they are better anvils. Though the drop pod still has it's uses imho. Positioning that assassination unit where you need it when you need it can be really important. 

Putting units in reserves does a few things:

- It prevents your opponents from firing at them if they go first

- Gives the unit in reserve the ability to alpha strike

- Gives the unit in reserve the ability to show up where they are needed most (jump pack, drop pod, etc)

- Blocks enemy movement

Depending on your list composition and your opponent, I can see drop pods being worth their weight in gold.

1) You have tyranid swarms rushing your lines and are going to hit you on their first turn so you drop the pods in a screen  that only allows the tyranids to filter through them reducing their alpha/beta strike potential. 

2) Playing against a T'au/Astra Militarum list you can drop them in front of some of their big guns to block los.

etc.. 

Edited by Aothaine

Want to field an Fragioso but he cost so much. Why cost one furioso fist not just the half of the pair?

I will field him despite the high cost just to see one of them again on the battlefield. (vs Nids. :devil:) hope he will help a bit vs hordes.

I exchanged 5 ss th vets to get the points free. Hope he will do his job. Will tell you how it went. ^^#