I've been considering hand flamers and I "think" we need to reconsider their role, somewhat, as providing additional pseudo CC attacks instead of being, in any way,  a ranged option. They are , almost, like an additional chain sword (except for the Str3) as in that we get on average 1 more shot/attack than we would from a chainsword/bolt pistol. As they stand now, with the STR3, i don't know if that 1 additional attack on average out weights the 4str from taking a free bolt pistol or chain sword. But if they do get bumped up in our Codex, I'm going to be considering them for my assault marines.

Edited by Djangomatic82

I've been considering hand flamers and I "think" we need to reconsider their role, somewhat, as providing additional pseudo CC attacks instead of being, in any way, a ranged option. They are , almost, like an additional chain sword (except for the Str3) as in that we get on average 1 more shot/attack than we would from a chainsword/bolt pistol. As they stand now, with the STR3, i don't know if that 1 additional attack on average out weights the 4str from taking a free bolt pistol or chain sword. But if they do get bumped up in our Codex, I'm going to be considering them for my assault marines.

As a bloke with several of these toys strapped to my characters I *really* hope you're right mate. I have shot into combat once since 8th has started and it was with bugs because the unit didn't have fly and was encircled.

The *only* reason to spend two legacy melta bombs for that pistol is the hopes you get bogged down by trash T3 chafe and even then the extra oompf to take out 1 extra model is better spent on plasma pistols.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Yeah I've found shooting with pistols in combat is certainly a rarity for me, especially given how easy it is to leave combat now. If a unit survives my SG or DC assault, they'll just flee and let other units shoot me up.

The hand flamer is garbage and I have actually tried to make it work simply because I have a lot of sergeants with them. The extra short range makes it mostly even useless for overwatch as well. Except on Land Speeders I'm finding flamers overall pretty crappy.

Edited by Chaplain Gunzhard

You will never, ever, ever, ever (or at least very rarely) shoot your pistols in combat.

Why?! I hear you scream with shock. Well my fellow fraters...

Say you are on the offensive, if you BA are charging it's usually because they are attacking a target they can beat up quite easily (any non-marine infantry). You'll no doubt win combat but what will your opponent do? Leave himself in combat waiting for you to kill him and get those pistol shots... OR forego the shooting of one (now mangled) unit to decimate your doods with an army's worth of shooting?

Say you are on the defensive, the things that charge marines are going to be trying to do 2 things:

• Kill them
  • Tie them up/ Disrupt

So you're probably going to do the same as the previous opponent did and fall back to avoid slaughter.

The "Shooting pistols in combat" rule only really comes into effect when you have a very even combat that no one want's to leave - which won't be often! It feels like it was designed for 7th where you are stuck in combat.

Because i forgett alsways shooting with my bolter and rapid fire bolters have longer range i gave all my DC´s in my last game an bolter and it was the best decision i made.

They deep struck in front of some gargoyles and then shoot hormagants after that assaulting the garg´s.

You will never, ever, ever, ever (or at least very rarely) shoot your pistols in combat.

Why?! I hear you scream with shock. Well my fellow fraters...

Say you are on the offensive, if you BA are charging it's usually because they are attacking a target they can beat up quite easily (any non-marine infantry). You'll no doubt win combat but what will your opponent do? Leave himself in combat waiting for you to kill him and get those pistol shots... OR forego the shooting of one (now mangled) unit to decimate your doods with an army's worth of shooting?

Say you are on the defensive, the things that charge marines are going to be trying to do 2 things:

• Kill them
  • Tie them up/ Disrupt

So you're probably going to do the same as the previous opponent did and fall back to avoid slaughter.

The "Shooting pistols in combat" rule only really comes into effect when you have a very even combat that no one want's to leave - which won't be often! It feels like it was designed for 7th where you are stuck in combat.

^this

I keep telling people that since 8th got released. Pistols are an extremely defensive option. More something you'd want to give a shooty unit without FLY keyword, not something to give an aggressive melee unit. Kinda sad because that's kinda backwards of where the Pistol options are.

Imo it's one of the few cases in 8th where GW screwed up. Nice idea, bad execution. 

I can only hope we get a baller stratagem that lets us shoot our pistols in the assault phase or something.

Holy crap that would be AMAZING.

That would pretty much fix pistols alltogether. Maybe if we're extremely lucky the Chapter Approved will make that change even. Many of us don't just play BA after all. ;)

I agree with sfPanzer. Just let everyone with pistols fire in CC with them. Right now pistols are very situational as Charlo pointed out and even then it is usually better to just withdraw from combat. Hell the Ultramarines can do it and just fire their normal weapons at -1. I'm not really surprised though Ultramarines usually get the favorite child treatment and I'm seriously considering just switching to them at this point. But I want to wait to see the Blood Angel codex before fully giving up on my Flesh Tearers. Already have ~$300 invested in my heavy flamer dev alpha strike list. :/ 

Anyway, pistols should be allow to be used in close combat imho. Hell that change alone would really help Assault Squads and most likely bring them back into the game. Right now, from what I can tell, people are just bringing vets mostly. 

I agree with sfPanzer. Just let everyone with pistols fire in CC with them. Right now pistols are very situational as Charlo pointed out and even then it is usually better to just withdraw from combat. Hell the Ultramarines can do it and just fire their normal weapons at -1. I'm not really surprised though Ultramarines usually get the favorite child treatment and I'm seriously considering just switching to them at this point. But I want to wait to see the Blood Angel codex before fully giving up on my Flesh Tearers. Already have ~$300 invested in my heavy flamer dev alpha strike list. :/

Anyway, pistols should be allow to be used in close combat imho. Hell that change alone would really help Assault Squads and most likely bring them back into the game. Right now, from what I can tell, people are just bringing vets mostly.

That's a shame

Just wondering how you are going to use flamers to Alpha or Beta strike? We would need our pods fixed for that to work I would think.  

Otherwise I agree!  This would be a welcome change that would shore up a largely anemic close combat phase for many units. 

Just wondering how you are going to use flamers to Alpha or Beta strike? We would need our pods fixed for that to work I would think.

Otherwise I agree! This would be a welcome change that would shore up a largely anemic close combat phase for many units.

2 squads of heavy flamer Devastators in a storm raven. 8xD6 S5 AP -1 goodness. with combi flamers for taste and a cherub for each just to make it count.

Today the Death Company lost ALL of their marbles and went into killing rampage, so much so that their regular brethren were dispatched with the order to put them down:

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5741/gCybiP.jpg

However the rage and insanity is too much for the brethren to handle and the entire dispatch team was annihilated:

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7796/awkOq6.jpg

2k DC

-Astorath, Lemartes

-45 DCs w/ JPs 

-2 SRs

2k BA

-Mephiston, SP

-15 Tac, 3 Assback

-Vindicare, 5 LC Termi

-SR, Baal Pred, Furioso

-Las/HB Dev

4-1, DC continues to rampage..

Edited by OrbOfAntioch

Finally managed to submit my initial vow for From Rage to Salvation. Even if my Throne forsaken internet meant it took about 8 attempts to upload the pictures.

Where did you upload them? If you uploaded them on the forum it's very likely it's not your internet but the forum server since they've extremely slow the past few days.

Finally managed to submit my initial vow for From Rage to Salvation. Even if my Throne forsaken internet meant it took about 8 attempts to upload the pictures.

Where did you upload them? If you uploaded them on the forum it's very likely it's not your internet but the forum server since they've extremely slow the past few days.

Ah quite probably that then!

My youngest went to bed cuddling a Razorback last night...

Guess thats the meta now. No love for the predators ;)

But more importantly. What turret did it have and did it affect your love for your child?