Haha :smile.:

It just means I need to name it after him. My eldest has a Vindicator names after him as he helped build it :smile.:

When you get your Thunderhawk can I help you build it?

Sure, but you'll need to come to South Wales ;)

Cross posting from the RtS thread:

I, spagunk, rise to the challenge of From Rage to Salvation and vow to complete one Sanguinary Guard Ancient on or before November 30th, 2017. Should I bring honour to the Blood Angels, I will proudly wear the IRATUS DOMINUS badge; should I fail I will display the CARCERES IRA on my chest as a reminder of my shame.

gallery_40907_9492_124289.jpg

Yes, I know it's low effort but I got a bunch of single model minis to chew through and I have to save something for the ETL next year :wink:.

Edit: Adding picture for vow.

Vow Completed:

gallery_40907_9492_9673.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_97664.jpggallery_40907_9492_19313.jpg

would the helmets for the 5 bolter marines in my 10-man devestator squad be red or blue? Obviously the sgt and heavy weapons guys are blue, but idk about the bolter dudes.

To make things easy I'm probably not going to paint dedicated bolter-marine devastator helmets. I did see somebody had magnetized but I'm such a slow hobbiest anyway that would just add to the painstakingly slow paint time anyway. I was also considering just painting all of my heavy weapons with blue helmets, that way I can change them in and out as needed.

Anybody else doing this?

As 8th has gone on I've found myself cutting more and more of our special units out of my list building, to the point where I'm beginning to consider simply running my marines using the vanilla codex- at least until we get a full codex of our own. It's really depressing me to think about and frankly feels wrong but when tactical terminators, one of my favorite units in 8th, can be taken for around 8 fewer ppm as well as getting chapter tactics it gets really hard to justify sticking with our Index. It doesn't help that my color scheme doesn't match any of our official stuff anymore either- I'm doing white helmets, black shoulderpads and gold trim.

Have any of the rest of you been having similar struggles? Blood Angels are my first and only army and I feel like I'm considering abandoning the one marine chapter I really like.

At this point, I basically use mostly codex marine units. The only thing that isn’t is jump pack company vets and death company in place of assault marines.

Special dreads are bad without much way to get them in where they need to go. Our special characters are kinda meh imo. Sanguinary guard is over priced atm. The pistols are bad.

It doesn’t help that I usually fight guard who just became stupidly strong.

As 8th has gone on I've found myself cutting more and more of our special units out of my list building, to the point where I'm beginning to consider simply running my marines using the vanilla codex- at least until we get a full codex of our own. It's really depressing me to think about and frankly feels wrong but when tactical terminators, one of my favorite units in 8th, can be taken for around 8 fewer ppm as well as getting chapter tactics it gets really hard to justify sticking with our Index. It doesn't help that my color scheme doesn't match any of our official stuff anymore either- I'm doing white helmets, black shoulderpads and gold trim.

Have any of the rest of you been having similar struggles? Blood Angels are my first and only army and I feel like I'm considering abandoning the one marine chapter I really like.

Well, well get a codex soon enough. I'm not sure I blame you for wanting to use better rules with the codex. Maybe you can run them "counts as" Raven Guard or something, and include a patrol or something of DC or something using BA index rules.

It feels really bad to have 202 pts in the form of a single DC dreadnought blown off the board with zero impact when it could have been 2 razorbacks with twin assault cannons. That would be 20 wounds of T7 3+ compared to 8 wounds of T7 3+ 6+++. Being ranged units with decent range means that their damage output can be fully online from turn one. Even if the dreadnought somehow does get into melee on turn two it isn't favored to destroy any regular T7 W10+ vehicle and that is the optimal target for this supposed melee monster. There is simply no redeeming quality to it. I don't think it's worth more than 100 pts, no joke.

Our other units are not as bad as the above example but still subpar at best, I don't think any of them are worth their points. Sanguiniary guard have a really unfavorable statline for this edition, T4 W2 2+ models are basically paper in the face of plasma, earthshaker cannons, blastmasters, cyclic ion blasters and so on. Even AP-1 weaponry enjoys a high degree of efficiency when targeting them. Their ancient is basically a glorified lieutenant at a 50% pts markup. The terminator ancient is a reskinned chaplain in terminator armour. I won't list all the units but none of them make sense to me. They are all either overpriced, poorly designed or both. The only truly viable models in our entire arsenal which are not available to regular SM are company veterans with jump packs. 

So I sat down with one of my friends who plays guard, and we went over his codex to help him figure out what regiment he wants to use (Cadians for real games, Armageddon for casual btw), and while looking at his stratagems, I was like “wow, some of these are pricy. 3 points for some!” To which he replied “you know I usually start a game with like 14/16 command points right? And I can regen them all over the place on 5’s.”

Ugh. Idk how to beat him. With like any army. I don’t think codex marines is even enough.

#praying to sanguinius our codex is good, so I can play games against my guard friends.

Edited by durdle-durdle

+++ Transmission received +++

+++ Decoding +++

+++ Message recording +++

Reconnaissance incorrect, renegade (Imperial) Knight base, four hostiles, please advise

Air support and reinforcements en route, base established

+++

Objectives claimed and base held, three hostiles remain. Please advise

+++ Message ends +++

It's really depressing me to think about and frankly feels wrong but when tactical terminators, one of my favorite units in 8th, can be taken for around 8 fewer ppm as well as getting chapter tactics it gets really hard to justify sticking with our Index.

Just a quick point, but:

"Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves army lists in Index: Imperium 1 all let you use units from the Space Marines section of that book. If you own the new codex, you should feel free to use those same units’ Datasheets from that book instead, until your own codex comes out."

I'm fairly sure they also said that applies to points changes in the basic Marine weapons from Index to Codex too, as our points cost for those are drawn from the Marine section of the Index. That means we can use Codex points changes for anything off the generic Marine list in the Index, and we only have to use the Index for BA-unique units and weapons.

We still don't have a chapter tactic, stratagems, relics or extended psychic power list yet but at least our 'generic' units should cost the same as a Codex chapter.

It's really depressing me to think about and frankly feels wrong but when tactical terminators, one of my favorite units in 8th, can be taken for around 8 fewer ppm as well as getting chapter tactics it gets really hard to justify sticking with our Index.

Just a quick point, but:

"Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Space Wolves army lists in Index: Imperium 1 all let you use units from the Space Marines section of that book. If you own the new codex, you should feel free to use those same units’ Datasheets from that book instead, until your own codex comes out."

I'm fairly sure they also said that applies to points changes in the basic Marine weapons from Index to Codex too, as our points cost for those are drawn from the Marine section of the Index. That means we can use Codex points changes for anything off the generic Marine list in the Index, and we only have to use the Index for BA-unique units and weapons.

We still don't have a chapter tactic, stratagems, relics or extended psychic power list yet but at least our 'generic' units should cost the same as a Codex chapter.

Yep - use all the points from the new codex if you can for any unit crossover.

Just a quick point, but:

They were just talking about this in the wishlisting thread. Here's the really pertinent bit:

If I have a Blood Angels, Dark Angels or Space Wolves army, will I need to buy Codex: Space Marines to use my army?

You don’t have to. Other Space Marines factions not covered in the new codex will continue to use all the datasheets, rules and points values in the index until their own codex is released. Rules for new models not covered in the index (like the upcoming Redemptor Dreadnought) will be available in the box with the model and matched play points for these units will be made available online.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

It seems pretty clear cut, unfortunately :down:

Just a quick point, but:

They were just talking about this in the wishlisting thread. Here's the really pertinent bit:

If I have a Blood Angels, Dark Angels or Space Wolves army, will I need to buy Codex: Space Marines to use my army?

You don’t have to. Other Space Marines factions not covered in the new codex will continue to use all the datasheets, rules and points values in the index until their own codex is released. Rules for new models not covered in the index (like the upcoming Redemptor Dreadnought) will be available in the box with the model and matched play points for these units will be made available online.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/07/05/codexes-your-questions-answered-july-5gw-homepage-post-2/

It seems pretty clear cut, unfortunately :down:

The first source is the most recent one. Both answers are also conditional: "If you own the new codex" vs "You don't have to [get the new codex].". I think there's enough support for a RAW argument to use the codex and besides, it is in all likelihood RAI. We shared the exact same pts costs and profiles for those weapons/units before, it only makes sense that we would continue to do so now. It's simply a case of them not being willing to tell BA, DA and SW players to buy the SM codex.

Played a doubles match tonight, 3k per side. I brought a Spearhead and a Supreme Command. Kind of a mini lucifer armoured task force with a LRC, vindi, baal pred, twin las razor, and then a libby dread, mephy, tycho, and corbs with a handful of vanguard vets. My partner had admech, shooty walkers, heavy grav, and stuff. We were against ultras/charchs with tyberos and then a force of inquisition, sisters of silence, and a knight titan.  It was a really fun game, our armies meshed really well for not knowing the pairing ahead of time. It's too late for much of a write up but the short of it is victory for BA and AdMech!

The high points: LRC killing a combat squad with overwatch fire was satisfying. Double chainsword VV chopping open a rhino, which exploded and killed Tyberos. Mephiston munching up sisters of silence.

The low points: Corbulo ended up on the receiving end of three Vindicare Assassins in late game shooting. That was tragic.

snip

The low points: Corbulo ended up on the receiving end of three Vindicare Assassins in late game shooting. That was tragic.

Congratulations on the win! I'm hoping to do a similar 'blind' doubles match in the not too distant future :) Anyway, yes I've found Corbulo to be a sniper magnet... for my next game I'm not taking him. I'm hoping regular Sanguinary Priests will fly under the radar better!

So in addition to the RtS vow, I took the liberty to get a group shot of the squad the guy is originally a part of. Mind you, some of these guys are from several years ago so they may be slightly inconstant with the Honor Guard scheme:

gallery_40907_9492_44489.jpg

From Left to right: Sanguinary Priest, Honor Guard, Blood Champion, Company Standard and Jump captain.

Not pictured is the associated techmarine to the original squad. Since the squad started as a 1999/2001 Honor guard, originally the kit had a rather unique techmarine. He has since been peeled off and is awaiting an appropriate servo harness instead of a jump pack. I suppose there is some use for a jump techmarine but I can't quite picture him as needing one.

Anyway, thought I would share the group shot for the original gang I had these guys in. They are all independent characters now so it's kind of a moot point.