The Great Baalite Bake Off, our character kitbash event, is now live

Hey Jol, I'm wondering if I can enter the Librarian Dread conversion I started almost two years ago now. I haven't touched him since I last posted pictures in my WIP in 2017 (I can find the pics later today). I did already have a pose kinda figured out with blue tac, but it still needed plenty of work and BA stuff added to it.

I promise I read the FAQ part before asking lol

Dreadnought parts are unrestricted given how tricky they are to kitbash, but some work is expected (i.e you couldn't just submit a standard-pattern Librarian Dreadnought with a new sword) - so your conversion passes this test. for example, here was one submitted last time around.

The rules say a little head start doesn't matter... for example, last time around I took a model submitted in the Librarian Conversion Challenge in 2015 (which was still unpainted), made it Codex legal, and entered it as one of my in-competition choices. As you said you haven't painted it, it passes this test.

Basically, feel free to vow it. No picture is required with the vow, just make it a legal unit (if you want, but this is preferred) :)

You can't fixate on what other armies get that you don't. Wraiths and d-scyths are not cheap and if you had hit them with a captain Smash with the jump pack that denys overwatch then it would be your eldar opponent bitterly noting how broken BA are.

Focus on our strengths and play to them, we get plenty. No we are not top tier, but I can tell you we are not the bottom. 500pts is a difficult level to play at, especially for an army that leans on its HQ and elites like BA do. Look to a Vanguard detachment and zero in on BA strengths, maybe a chappy and three units of DC? At 500pts do you really need more than 3 or 4 CP?

Remember that you're playing an assault army in an edition focused on gunline tactics. The learning curve is going to be steep and you're gonna crash a lot before you learn to fly. The payoff is that you'll eventually learn tricks and tactics to a better degree than anyone who plays a gunline and only understands target priority.

Smash captain needs the most CP to work. With only 3 CP total, you're not going to do anything amazing with it, let alone prevent it from being wiped first turn. You use 2 cp from the start just to get the damage boost and death company status then you need another cp to be able to push your smash captain forward. In neither battle was I able to seize the initiative so using anything that boosted the captain well forward makes him bait to be focused down. 

I did need more than 3 cp as I could neither assault well or hit hard with guns since I was strapped for CP. In both battles the enemy didn't even use more than a single CP but still had tools to work against anything I had.

I get that my comments seemed very anti-whatever but I was careful to say that it wasn't working for me, not that I thought BA were trash.

You can't fixate on what other armies get that you don't. Wraiths and d-scyths are not cheap and if you had hit them with a captain Smash with the jump pack that denys overwatch then it would be your eldar opponent bitterly noting how broken BA are.

Focus on our strengths and play to them, we get plenty. No we are not top tier, but I can tell you we are not the bottom. 500pts is a difficult level to play at, especially for an army that leans on its HQ and elites like BA do. Look to a Vanguard detachment and zero in on BA strengths, maybe a chappy and three units of DC? At 500pts do you really need more than 3 or 4 CP?

Remember that you're playing an assault army in an edition focused on gunline tactics. The learning curve is going to be steep and you're gonna crash a lot before you learn to fly. The payoff is that you'll eventually learn tricks and tactics to a better degree than anyone who plays a gunline and only understands target priority.

Smash captain needs the most CP to work. With only 3 CP total, you're not going to do anything amazing with it, let alone prevent it from being wiped first turn. You use 2 cp from the start just to get the damage boost and death company status then you need another cp to be able to push your smash captain forward. In neither battle was I able to seize the initiative so using anything that boosted the captain well forward makes him bait to be focused down.

I did need more than 3 cp as I could neither assault well or hit hard with guns since I was strapped for CP. In both battles the enemy didn't even use more than a single CP but still had tools to work against anything I had.

I get that my comments seemed very anti-whatever but I was careful to say that it wasn't working for me, not that I thought BA were trash.

At 500 pts captain Smash needs little or no CP. He's a beatstick with a thunderhammer and a jump pack that lets him reroll charges and ignore overwatch. The eldar player wouldn't have rushed those wraith guard forward to kill a unit of cheap scouts knowing he'd get counter charged and have his expensive unit wiped by your captain.

Stratagems and CP are bonus moves, you don't have to have them to fight or to shoot a gun. There is a world of tactics and gameplay that exists outside of CP.

At 500 pts captain Smash needs little or no CP. He's a beatstick with a thunderhammer and a jump pack that lets him reroll charges and ignore overwatch. The eldar player wouldn't have rushed those wraith guard forward to kill a unit of cheap scouts knowing he'd get counter charged and have his expensive unit wiped by your captain.

Stratagems and CP are bonus moves, you don't have to have them to fight or to shoot a gun. There is a world of tactics and gameplay that exists outside of CP.

Captain Smash without CP is just a Captain to be fair. ^^

Captain Smash without CP is just a Captain to be fair. ^^

But he still has Red Thirst. And with Angel's Wing cannot be overwatched, and re-rolls charges. In these points, he's still the best.

Granted, that 1 CP for DVoS already brings him an additional level up.

Did they remove the blood angels specific primaris kits from the GW website? cant find any for the past couple of weeks

It's not there on the german side either. Probably just a database error though. They had to take down both, the GW website and the FW website, yesterday after all.

Probably gone to be honest. They were only ever going to be limited with the upgrade sprue available seperately.

Really? Didnt know that. Well I managed to find an aggressor squad with the upgrade on a big discount on a forgotten greek store.

Quoting myself there, I got confirmation from the shop owner that indeed it was a limited product from GW and that it was the last box they had around. Add in the fact that I got it for 3/4 of the GW price, and Im pretty happy with this purchase.

Also, I've been avoiding primaris for over a year now so this was a big step for me.

Exactly - from GWs perspective, most people will be buying their chapter specific Primaris when the codex is released so they can spare the shelf/ warehouse space for kits with the upgrade sprue in at that time. Over a year out from release I imagine the demand for BA/ DA specific Primaris kits isn't large enough to warrant them.

In theory the storm bolter is better. You dont want your ancient caught in melee.

You don't. But his benefit is re-rolling all misses in combat. He's basically a terminator chaplain that allows your units to fight a second time, or give them FnP. So you want this one closer I surmise.

In theory the storm bolter is better. You dont want your ancient caught in melee.

You don't. But his benefit is re-rolling all misses in combat. He's basically a terminator chaplain that allows your units to fight a second time, or give them FnP. So you want this one closer I surmise.

*and give them FnP. Keep in mind that the relic banner works in addition to the actual ancient aura. ;)

*and give them FnP. Keep in mind that the relic banner works in addition to the actual ancient aura. ;)

Right, this is getting me primed for my 1st company list.

I was browsing ebay today and I ended up with 2 multi-meltas and a sanguinary guard jump pack. The plan eventually is to buy a devastator kit and build 4x devastators with multi-meltas. The jump pack will go to a DC marine. I'm trying to build a blob of 15 DC marines but I dont want to use 3x DC kits so for some variety I'll be using some SG jump packs and some VV jump packs. The idea there is to buy 1 DC box and 1 VV box and just mix them together/

I was browsing ebay today and I ended up with 2 multi-meltas and a sanguinary guard jump pack. The plan eventually is to buy a devastator kit and build 4x devastators with multi-meltas. The jump pack will go to a DC marine. I'm trying to build a blob of 15 DC marines but I dont want to use 3x DC kits so for some variety I'll be using some SG jump packs and some VV jump packs. The idea there is to buy 1 DC box and 1 VV box and just mix them together/

Pretty much what I did with mine too - vv, dc and a mix of some of the more bling spares from the ba tac, sang guard and even command squad sprues. It’s a good place to use lots of extra nubbins. They do add up on paint time though :-)

Pretty much what I did with mine too - vv, dc and a mix of some of the more bling spares from the ba tac, sang guard and even command squad sprues. It’s a good place to use lots of extra nubbins. They do add up on paint time though :-)

Also works the other way around, I can make my VVs more blood angely and less like red marines. I plan to use every set of legs and jamp packs with the saltires for the Dc and the rest of them for some vanguard vets.