Actually won not one but two games. unique deployment with 48inch board. The mission is like night fighting where 1st turn is 12" and after the first turn you roll d6 for 6" more range. 3 objective with one in the middle and one each for the player. End of 6 turns whoever has 2/3 objectives wins. Anyone who owns all 3 at the end of the turn wins game. 600 pts total. No named characters. No beta rules.

I had 3 squads of scouts (2 five range scouts, 1 10 ccw scouts) 5 man DC, chaplain and a termie captain with relic blade and Storm Bolter. Chapliaaon is warlord and got wings and the fight first warlord trait. Opponent ran two hellhounds, two leman russe's (one with punisher, one with battle Cannon) and maybe one to two min squads of guards.

He got first turn and ran up to flamer my DC/chaplain/5 ccw scouts. His other hellhound went after my range scouts but didn't get in flamer range. His in range hellhound got some hits on DC but they survived with only one dying. Otherwise he didn't have range on too much other than a heavy Bolter knocking out one ranged scout.

On my turn I run up with DC, chaplain and 5 ccw to hit his right side hellhound. The other 5 ccw scouts ran to claim center objective. Sniper and ranged scouts stayed near captain on my objective in cover (they had camo cloaks). The left flank hellhound took a bunch of wounds from 5 snipers, a successful hellfire heavy Bolter and a couple of Bolter shots. This brought the hound down to 4 wounds. Bolt pistol shots did nothing to right side hellhound. Charge time had me charge first with chaplain, denying overwatch due to wings. Then DC ran in followed by scouts.They too manage to get the hellhound down to 4 wounds but not enough to kill it.

His turn saw no change in range. he backed his right hellhound to the side and popped smoke, his punisher moved forward enough to get the 12 inches, his left hellhound got in range to flamer and heavy Bolter scouts on my objective. He moved his second Russ forward but it was too far to hit anything. He managed to knock off another scout, with that hellhound, his punisher targeted scouts and wiped them. Second volley got DC and got all but one. His troops got in range of chaplain but only managed to get 2 wounds on the now exposed chaplain. The last DC got killed by something that I don't remember. His left hellhound charged the center objective scouts who failed to wound on the overwatch. But his assault managed only to kill 2 scouts. Their assault knocked it to two wounds.

On my turn I make the Killing move. I move some more objective scouts to his left hellhound in case I whiff, sniper scouts stay near captain. Since my chaplain survived, I UWoF him and put him on the completely empty objective in his deployment zone that his second Russ abandoned. Shooting and assault did not much so it was a wash. Regardless, because it was the end of turn two and I owned all three objectives, the game ends and I won.

I was really lucky he didn't just push everyone to get range as he definitely had plenty of fire. But the 12 range bit him hard and made him vulnerable to my own really lucky shooting (3 sniper mortal wounds and 2 or 3 hvy Bolter mortal wounds!). Also lucked out that he didn't put more wounds on my chaplain nor I'd have had to somehow face down two russes!

Second win was a somewhat similar but against shoot necrons. I ended up chopping his shoot and by doing so I was able to keep him from center objective. Some lucky shots saw his spider tanky thingy fall with the help of plucky scouts who ate 3 dead to overwatch but push the last wounds needed to take his deployment objective in close combat. Had he tried to kite my DC into 12inch range, they'd be toast but instead he played too conservative which gave me the turn I needed to get into assault with chaplain and DC combo. So I won by claiming all three objectives by the end of turn 4. I still think I wouldn't have survived were it not for the modified night fighting rules. There was too little cover to hoof it up field without a casualty and by getting just outside that 12 inch range, I got the striking distance I needed to do damage despite even the wbb/orb rules.

Edited by Spagunk

How about the 5-man units from the Dark Imperium set? Those could be available from second-hand.

Yes, the Dark Imperium models can be picked up for around £15 from that auction site. If you are just running a squad of 5, the monopose models aren't really a problem. Here are mine painted up in SW livery.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-887-0-90724900-1501018033.jpg

I did some research, and I actually found half a box on ebay. I didnt want to take the easy to build ones just because I want to build them with heavy plasma incinerators. I also have a leftover upgrade sprue from the agressors so I think its was a nice catch. Thanks for the idea :p

How about the 5-man units from the Dark Imperium set? Those could be available from second-hand.

Yes, the Dark Imperium models can be picked up for around £15 from that auction site. If you are just running a squad of 5, the monopose models aren't really a problem. Here are mine painted up in SW livery.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2017/post-887-0-90724900-1501018033.jpg

Those bases:wub:

That colour scheme:wub: 

Blue plasma though :down:

The green bases ... the neon yellow shoulder pads ... my eyes. :biggrin.:

Heathen!

Started doing a serious list and appropriate preparations of what I can do for the ETL. Currently I have:

- basecoated Captain Smash

- basecoated Libby Dread

- basecoated Vindicator (still needs SB and H-Kmissile if I can find one)

- pre-assembled and basecoated dakka Aggressors

- almost pre-assembled plasma Inceptors

I wonder if we will still be able to vow Knights. Frankly I don't think so as they have their own codex now.

Edited by Majkhel

I`ll be having a look at my stuff for the ETL in the next week or so as after my first ever completion last year, I`ve got the bug now :D Is there a thread for ETL prep or is it a bit early for a thread to appear? I know other factions have got threads up already :)

I`ll be having a look at my stuff for the ETL in the next week or so as after my first ever completion last year, I`ve got the bug now :D Is there a thread for ETL prep or is it a bit early for a thread to appear? I know other factions have got threads up already :)

Far too soon imo, I'll likely make our build up thread a month prior like normal. So feel free to make use of this thread as it's basically for going about your day to day BA hobby business.

Alternatively, we do have a prequel event you can get involved in, the Great Baalite Bake Off, where we are kitbashing characters with a view to having a stock of good points-to-model ratios for the event.

See the pinned topic:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353836-the-great-baalite-bake-off-2019/page-5?do=findComment&comment=5270577

Emperor Damnit. I'm drinking Bloody Marries and surfing eBay. This is -not- a good idea. I don't suggest anyone do it.

everyone do it.

Yeah don't drink and buy... 

Kickstarter is also a problem like that. She won't look quite as attractive when you wake up in the morning. 

My inner demon made me buy a set of battle boards via YouTube late one night. "What... you're going to get one at *some* point - do it now". "You've seen Duncan paint them in 13 minutes... it will be a quick job and they will be done.".

Sure.

Still haven't been primed. 

Good thing that can't happen to me. I only drink when I'm away with friends (parties, movie evening, gaming evenings, festivals, etc). As much as I love various sorts of beers and booze I can't enjoy them alone infront of my PC. :P