Astorath's body is creepier, but his legs are more dynamic. Axe, skull shoulder pads.

Jump packs are similar on both, but Sanguinor's provide additional iron halo. Additionally, he has the ultimate nipple armor, more generic BA shoulder pads and head, sword (always useful) and a chalice (always useful). I'd say: Sanguinor.

Need a set of wings for a conversion and I'm considering using either Astorath or The Sanguinor's wings. Who do you suppose has the better remaining bits?

Astorath's wings are almost exactly the same thing as SG wings if I'm not mistaken. They're individually available on eBay and are made of plastic- Astorath himself only comes in metal or resin.

(I'm using them for a Jump Chaplain myself :) )

At this point I wouldn't bother investing in any oldmarine characters to be honest. They are all bygones.

Man I still play 3rd ed from time to time. Your books don't set on fire the moment they release something new. It's fine.

My only principle is to buy and collect the models you like.

At this point I wouldn't bother investing in any oldmarine characters to be honest. They are all bygones.

Man I still play 3rd ed from time to time. Your books don't set on fire the moment they release something new. It's fine.

My only principle is to buy and collect the models you like.

I only paint oldhammer BA units too, and only collect 2E-5E stuff.  Good luck finding many players playing pre-8E though, and that will only get worse over time.  That's the issue here.

manager in Worcester GW is pretty convinced we won't get updated rules till next edition.

Kind of sucks if it is true,

“New” GW has adopted a different information policy I think, back in the day we should’ve dismissed statements like the above as nothing more than rumors. In the light of said updated policy, perhaps there could be some merit to that.

We’ll definitely get something in psychic awakening. Beyond that, I couldn’t tell. This year it’ll be all the marines and sisters, let’s see what’s in stores next year.

Manager in gw Worcester knows precisely diddly squat about nuffin. But he might well be right in that AoS got a v2 after 2 years so it could easily be time to redo the big book with all the updates included.

He also reckoned a new edition was 2 years away *shrug*

I don't necessarily believe him, however he is one of the managers that does regular trips to HQ for stuff.

I honestly don't give anything about what managers say. They are about as reliable as any random forum user. However it could be that Psychic Awakening will be much shorter than expected and that we'll see the next edition summer 2020 already. If that's the case then it's definitely possible since I don't expect a new Codex for us before summer 2020 anyway. ^^

I honestly don't give anything about what managers say. They are about as reliable as any random forum user. However it could be that Psychic Awakening will be much shorter than expected and that we'll see the next edition summer 2020 already. If that's the case then it's definitely possible since I don't expect a new Codex for us before summer 2020 anyway. ^^

again, his comment about not to expect a codex update was coupled with a statement of 2 more years before an update.

I think we will probably see an update at some point next year personally. but no idea when.

It wouldn't surprise me if we get a new edition sometime next year. I was guessing at 1-2 years of psychic awakening leading to something else before that, but this could certainly be a 6-8 month event that leads us into a new edition next summer. If that's the case then a new codex arriving after that would make more sense than getting one right at the tail end of the current edition.

It will have been 3 years next summer since 8th launched, and there are now rules and things spread over different books. Not such a bad time to have a tidy up.

Im not really familiar with how long an edition lasts since I got involved in 40k at the end of 7th. Is it normal to have a new edition every 3-4 years? It feels to me that its too soon. :ohmy.:

For a while, every 4 years seemed the standard. New edition 40K, wait for 2 years, new edition Fantasy wait for 2 years and repeat. Then again, AoS only waited 3 years before launching 2nd edition so maybe we will get a new edition of 40K next year. All just speculation really at this point.

I'm not so much expecting a new "edition" of 40K. Even with the update to AOS, I don't think GW ever called it a new edition, just updated rules. As far as I'm aware, the new AOS rules didn't really do anything that changed the way the army books worked (at least for the most part). I think GW will do something similar with 40K. Just releasing a new rule book with all the updates and FAQs in it and possibly making other rule changes they think are important. 

It's also somewhat wrong to compare AoS1 with 40k 8e. AoS1 was an experiment that didn't go so well and badly needed a revision aka AoS2. 40k 8e while having lots of new stuff is still very much the 40k we know and doesn't struggle like AoS did at first so doesn't need such an extensive revision.

It's also somewhat wrong to compare AoS1 with 40k 8e. AoS1 was an experiment that didn't go so well and badly needed a revision aka AoS2. 40k 8e while having lots of new stuff is still very much the 40k we know and doesn't struggle like AoS did at first so doesn't need such an extensive revision.

I agree - 8th edition is pretty successful. It also seems to me that we are well on the way of getting Codex II/supplement for every faction. C:SM already are there, PSychic Awakening may be a good way to provide those for other factions, starting with the Aeldari. It doesn't look like we need a new set of base rules for the game itself. 

I just want it to stay 8th Ed for a while. I got into this in the middle of 8th, about a year ago, and I reeeeeeally don't wanna learn new systems. I want it to stay. New codices and content are fine, new edition is not, as far as I'm concerned.

Chances are a new edition wouldn't be super different to the current one anyway. So more like an extensive collection of Erratas. The difference between 7th and 8th edition is more of an exception. ;)

I just want it to stay 8th Ed for a while. I got into this in the middle of 8th, about a year ago, and I reeeeeeally don't wanna learn new systems. I want it to stay. New codices and content are fine, new edition is not, as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't complain if there was an 8th v2.0 maybe, just to compile all the FAQs and CA stuff into one place. If they carry on with this same pattern, you're gonna be taking a huge pile of books in a wheelbarrow whenever you go out for a game.

When people complain about GW being overpriced, I always defend the cost of the models and hobby stuff. But the cost of the books is a totally different thing, considering they are made obsolete so fast.

I'm pretty curious as to what the new, little rule book is going to be like. I'm expecting it to incorporate all the errata's, but i'm wondering if it will include things like narrative play missions. If so, i hope it includes the CA and WD ones that have been released since the main rulebook came out.

GW needs to get with this century and release their rules for free online

Still release the books, plenty of people will buy them for fluff and having a hardcopy, but the book costs are insane for a product that is outdated often the same week you purchase it.

Hell, I'd even settle for them giving out the one use codes for online docs that are updated when you buy a physical one.

But paying full price for both is just money grubing behavior

GW needs to get with this century and release their rules for free online

Still release the books, plenty of people will buy them for fluff and having a hardcopy, but the book costs are insane for a product that is outdated often the same week you purchase it.

Hell, I'd even settle for them giving out the one use codes for online docs that are updated when you buy a physical one.

But paying full price for both is just money grubing behavior

This! That was my main gripe I put in on the customer survey thing they did a while back. Heck I'd go as far as to pay a little extra for a book+code (like a bundle deal). I do it for school and, while I'm not into collecting biology textbooks, it's incredibly convenient to be able to bundle and use both forms of media when the specific need arises for either. Battery about to die? Back up book comes out. Can't find a key term or phrase in the book? Hello control+f.

In other news I picked up a SM Heroes box and got the CML termie! I'm very excited to build and paint him; I haven't painted a terminator since the very first squad I painted around 5 years ago!