I guess this means they are (probably) phasing out all Tactical Squads from Battle forces and boxes from here on..  Bye by beautiful Blood Angels Tactical Squad..

I'd rather they phase Karlaen from battle forces :rolleyes:

Our tactical squad is my single most favourite kit, I use to to build practically everything, from assault marines, to sternguard to characters.

No interest. Big disappointment. Missed opportunity for the Primaris chaplain and apothecary instead of 2 characters many of us have already. I already have like 3 Karlaens.

From memory, these Christmas bundles rarely include very new models. Most of the kits have been out for at least a year or two.

True, but often they include models you either don't mind getting more of or don't necessarily already have. How many DC or Sanguinary Guard does one really need? Or Karleans that have been in so many boxes already (kinda like CSM Bikes). Or Intercessors 2 years after their release?

Indeedy. The Chaplain and Apothecary came out in about 2017 right? They could easily get a place in the box. Also unsure why we get a second overpriced character dropping the value of the box - I'd much rather have like 5 vanvets than both chaplain and Karlaen.

They could have very easily made this either:

1) Cool jump pack themed force with old marines + Primaris

2) Good intro to Primaris for BA players.

The mix as it is, is really odd when there are so many other cool things.

BA Air Superiority Force:

Chaplain

5 Vanvets

5 Death Co

5 Sanguard

3 Inceptors

Stormraven

Blood Angels Ironhail Interdictor Force

Primaris Captain

Primaris Repulsor

3 Aggressors

10 Intercessors

Baal Predator

definitely primaris and based on classic art, give me a minute to collate stuff

added screenshots to the mephiston thread.

Yes, the pose with the lowered sword looks like it is based very closely on the original artwork.

ollkk7op0d111.jpg

RE the Xmas box...

GW *really* must've overproduced the Karlean model, he's always sold on the cheap!

It was a :cuss ugly model that came at a time when Terminators were the suck, and in a year it was basically obsolete by the BA Terminator kit that allowed you to make 10x better models for less than half the cost.

And now they have basically obsoleted and phased out oldmarines and terminators so they are trying to get rid of all the faction specific kits and models that will be useless in a year or two.

Be wise. Don't buy it.

Edited by Jolemai
Swear filter dodge

Even if they do away with the Tru Marines in favour of Nu Marines, they'll still be represented in the rules via WH Classics, hell they're talking about putting untis that never had models like Librarian on a bike et al. You might say, well that's all good and well that they'll have rules, but they won't make models anymore. My answer, there will be an influx of classic marines on eBay and the like to strip and repaint from people who are selling them to pay for the Primaris cool aid. I like cool aid, and partake as much as the next guy, but when it comes to marines, I still prefer my well aged scotch. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Karlaen had some ok fluff and rules as part of the Deathstorm box set he came in*. If they had kept him as a named character and tweaked his rules a bit, I think there might have been a sliver of hope for him:

He had the Hammer of Baal before it become a generic BA relic in 8th and his WLT was kinda sorta a Command Re-Roll before that ability even existed. They idea was that he came off as a bright “kid” (everyone’s a kid compared to Dante) who rose through the ranks due to competence and a flair for strategy. The fact that he favored Terminator armor also added an interesting contrast to the Jump nature of the BA...her also tied in with space Hulk.

TL;DR: he wasn’t anything earth shattering but at least had enough personality to have potential if they had deigned to expand on it more

[hidden]

Captain Karlaen had some ok fluff and rules as part of the Deathstorm box set he came in*. If they had kept him as a named character and tweaked his rules a bit, I think there might have been a sliver of hope for him:

He had the Hammer of Baal before it become a generic BA relic in 8th and his WLT was kinda sorta a Command Re-Roll before that ability even existed. They idea was that he came off as a bright “kid” (everyone’s a kid compared to Dante) who rose through the ranks due to competence and a flair for strategy. The fact that he favored Terminator armor also added an interesting contrast to the Jump nature of the BA...her also tied in with space Hulk.

TL;DR: he wasn’t anything earth shattering but at least had enough personality to have potential if they had deigned to expand on it more

[hidden]

2nd this - his warlord trait was nice to have, especially as it was random normally. He wasn’t great, but he had enough.

It’s still weird to me the last edition stuff we got - I don’t think anyone was asking for terminators and tacticals. I can only assume GW were playing with CAD and copying other kits (space hulk and death company boxes respectively)

Edited by Pathstrider

Okay Guys, I'm going to do my best to get the Feast of Blades done tomorrow. I've been so slammed with school and no break. It's a couple months past due and I apologize for that. HOPEFULLY I can take an hour or two to finish it up!

Okay Guys, I'm going to do my best to get the Feast of Blades done tomorrow. I've been so slammed with school and no break. It's a couple months past due and I apologize for that. HOPEFULLY I can take an hour or two to finish it up!

Feast of Blades? Sounds fun.

- me, a person who has played Blood Angels, a little bit of Khorne and is starting Novokh Dynasty

RE the Xmas box...

GW *really* must've overproduced the Karlean model, he's always sold on the cheap!

It was a :cuss ugly model that came at a time when Terminators were the suck, and in a year it was basically obsolete by the BA Terminator kit that allowed you to make 10x better models for less than half the cost.

And now they have basically obsoleted and phased out oldmarines and terminators so they are trying to get rid of all the faction specific kits and models that will be useless in a year or two.

Be wise. Don't buy it.

^This is similar to my view :-)