regular bolt rifles are better if the enemy ignores AP -1

Thats about the only reason these days.

My vets have regular bolt rifles because its how i'd built them lol.

As far as Mephiston goes, just lots of dry fitting, the wiping face hand is a bit of a bugger to put on, it does fit, literally snaps into place. The book on the hip will be a bit awkward. youll need to fill a gap on the right side cloak.

Got Primaris Mephiston for my club's Secret Santa (I may post what I gave for my gift :smile.: ) . I know there were all sorts of suggestions running around about "don't do this" or "definitely do that" while assembling/painting him. Anything have those comments again before I get irrevocably started?

Also, I managed to snag 2x Intercessor sprues for cheap. Going to make them Veteran Intercessors with some bling. We all agree that auto bolt rifles are the way to go for such a squad? Yes? Anyone change my mind? Yes? No? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

From what I've heard and seen the leg is a pain to assemble properly and there's not really a way around it.

The mouth swiping arm seems to be a bit too high posed when assembling as is so might need so careful cutting or such to make it look better. (I've seen plenty complain about it and have seen it assembled where it really looks too high but I've also seen pictures of it assembled lower where it looks much better and less like finger sniffing or such).

It's supposedly better to paint him before adding the bling as well.

About the Intercessors, well currently mathhammer says the Assault Bolters are better, however as we know that could change with any CA or such. So better decide how you want to assemble them depending on how you want to use them.

Regular Bolt Rifle use: be stationary for 30" rapid fire or move within 15" for rapid fire. Better against armour thanks to AP-1/-2.

Works best for a unit that either wants to camp on an objective or for a unit that eventually wants to get into melee but isn't exactly dieing to get into melee since if you don't camp on an objective you'd want to get close anyway. It's a rather binary option. Stay as far away as possible to utilise Bolter Discipline or get very close. You don't want to shoot without being able to use Rapid fire.

Bonus points for being able to use the new Stratagem that turns their Bolt rifles into Rapid fire 2 for a turn (that's 40 S4 AP-2 shots turn 2 from a 10 man unit).

Assault Bolt Rifle use: stay mobile and within 24" or make a mad dash towards the opponent but shoot worse in return. Worse against armour thanks to AP0/-1.

Works best for a unit that either wants to go around capturing different objectives but still be at a relatively safe distance or for a unit that doesn't care too much about being good at shooting and just wants to get into melee asap. This option trades punch for tactical flexibility. You don't have a 15" dead zone where the performance drops hard. You can move freely within 24" and always have the same performance and if you really need to get somewhere a little bit faster (~4.5" more for us as BA) you can do that of cost of shooting well. On the other hand you also can't reach out the additional 6" like the Rapid fire variant can do.

Small bonus point for being able to use the new Stratagem that let them auto-hit with their Assault Bolt rifles. Not as good as the Rapid fire one and we are CP starved as is anyway but could come in handy against Raven Guard, Eldar or to finish a Flyer.

It also offers a nice synergy with the Combat Doctrines since you can advance turn 1 to get into melee faster and then move normally turn 2 to take full benefit of the additional AP for Assault weapons. Just make sure not to charge too early unless you think it's definitely worth it since nothing feels worse than being stuck in melee when turn 3 comes around and you can't benefit from the additional attack.

Personally I went with regular Bolt rifles for my Intercessors because Bolter Discipline didn't exist yet when I build them and so it simply was the better fit for a more aggressive playstyle plus the AP-1 made it feel like a quality choice instead of the more shots at AP0 of the Assault variant (also it was only Assault2 back then), however for my Veteran Intercessors I went with the Assault variant for the tactical flexibility since it seemed fitting for a Veteran unit and for my DC Intercessors I also went with the Assault variant but here I did it because it seemed fitting to give them a type of weapon they could still use while doing a mad dash towards the enemy.

From what I've heard and seen the leg is a pain to assemble properly and there's not really a way around it.

The mouth swiping arm seems to be a bit too high posed when assembling as is so might need so careful cutting or such to make it look better. (I've seen plenty complain about it and have seen it assembled where it really looks too high but I've also seen pictures of it assembled lower where it looks much better and less like finger sniffing or such).

The easiest solution is to glue his leg to the scenic base first and allow it to dry. Then assemble the cloak around that fixed leg. It is much easier than trying to get the legs to line up with base once the cloak is already dry.

Leave off the backpack and cloak, this model definitely benefits from painting in sections before final assembly. I would however suggest holding the cloak in place while you attach the book. If you get the positioning of the book wrong, it will then stop the cloak and backpack aligning properly when you do come to attach them.

I also agree with painting the bling separately.

It's a sad day brothers. Holiday is over.

Apothecary school starts back bright and early in the morning.

Same, school starts tomorrow. Yay for my school consisting almost entirely of "sit and watch the thing while maybe batch painting models, then occasionally answer questions to prove knowledge"?

It's a sad day brothers. Holiday is over.

Apothecary school starts back bright and early in the morning.

Aye, back to work it is for me as well. I already miss sleeping in every day. :'( 

The easiest solution is to glue his leg to the scenic base first and allow it to dry. Then assemble the cloak around that fixed leg. It is much easier than trying to get the legs to line up with base once the cloak is already dry.

Leave off the backpack and cloak, this model definitely benefits from painting in sections before final assembly. I would however suggest holding the cloak in place while you attach the book. If you get the positioning of the book wrong, it will then stop the cloak and backpack aligning properly when you do come to attach them.

Status update: I can confirm that the mouth-wiping hand is a :cuss -ing :cuss -ed :cuss :cuss -er to get in place. It legitimately seems like it was molded poorly since the parts that are meant to go together legitimately do not fit into each other smoothly (even after filling down to make sure there's no extras left). It also seems like his arm is just too short for his body in some ways.

I think I'm gonna have to try the tried n' true white stuff + hoping the shoulder pad is big enough to cover the touch-up :whistling:

I can also confirm that starting assembly from the legs up was a huge help...thank you all for that help. Basically put the book in last after all the cloak pieces to make it MUCH easier. And don't forget the psychic hood cable...I had a close call with that.

So, how do BA (and their successors) do as pure Primaris? Asking for a friend who laments about his options.

I enjoy them. Primaris base statline coupled with the various marine rules and then BA ones on top means they're much better in combat than would be expected, their weapons are decent, they have a fair few things they can take now too, including Mephiston.

Once primaris get a proper melee unit, they'll be even better but honestly BA feel like a good fit for the primaris units to me.

Played a small 1k game yesterday. Not much to report except Deredeo Dreads are *insane*, the extra AP from Doctrines really push them over.

Glad to hear that! Playing in my first tourney this weekend and I’m building my list around a deredeo with a pavise- him, two redemptors and 2x5 hellblasters with a captain and ancient with the relic banner. Hoping to camp midfield and never die lol

Edited by keeblerartillery

How are you modelling the Pavaise?

The Shield Dome from the Impulsor is a possibility. However since it is not a weapon, you could always argue it is an internal system.

Glad to hear that! Playing in my first tourney this weekend and I’m building my list around a deredeo with a pavise- him, two redemptors and 2x5 hellblasters with a captain and ancient with the relic banner. Hoping to camp midfield and never die lol

You could always add a Techmarine and Sanguinary Novitiate just to be extra obnoxious and patch up any wounds that do get through. :biggrin.:

Edited by Karhedron

I think there is a good chance that I may finish my Devastator Squad (sans basing) tonight.  Which is amazing, it will be the first BA unit I painted in 4 years now.  I painted the odd figure here and there but not a whole unit, I find I really don't have the time or patience to paint in batches anymore.. 

I may start gravitating more towards skirmish games like Kill Team where I don't really have to make the models look as uniform when placed together.  I'm actually considering breaking the seal on my Kill Team Cassius box and painting some Deathwatch next..  If only I knew where it is :/

I think there is a good chance that I may finish my Devastator Squad (sans basing) tonight. Which is amazing, it will be the first BA unit I painted in 4 years now. I painted the odd figure here and there but not a whole unit, I find I really don't have the time or patience to paint in batches anymore..

I may start gravitating more towards skirmish games like Kill Team where I don't really have to make the models look as uniform when placed together. I'm actually considering breaking the seal on my Kill Team Cassius box and painting some Deathwatch next.. If only I knew where it is :/

Play lower point games. You get more games in and you don't have to have as many models painted. 1000~1500 is a sweet spot imo. Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Status update: I can confirm that the mouth-wiping hand is a :censored: -ing :censored: -ed :censored::censored: -er to get in place. It legitimately seems like it was molded poorly since the parts that are meant to go together legitimately do not fit into each other smoothly (even after filling down to make sure there's no extras left). It also seems like his arm is just too short for his body in some ways.

I think I'm gonna have to try the tried n' true white stuff + hoping the shoulder pad is big enough to cover the touch-up :whistling:

I can also confirm that starting assembly from the legs up was a huge help...thank you all for that help. Basically put the book in last after all the cloak pieces to make it MUCH easier. And don't forget the psychic hood cable...I had a close call with that.

So I got the mouth-wipe pose to work....but boy oh boy was it a :cuss  . As you can see in the photos below, I used white stuff (green stuff) to patch it together, and even then it came out like such a hack job (good thing it dries so firm, otherwise it wouldn't work at all:

Hidden Content

Meph build 1

Meph build 2

Meph build 3

Meph build 4

The issue for me is that the way the arm wants to attach to the torso makes it into more of a salute...yet that high up and off. And the arm itself seems disproportionately short and so you have to really manually just spit and chewing-gum it into position to make it look as it should. I don't even want to ask if it looks like he's smelling his finger vs wiping blood from his mouth because I can't tell you how long I spent finagling it specifically not to have the sniff look (ok, really? Does it still look like that?).

Has anyone else had that much trouble with him? I am taken aback at how difficult this was, especially for new a new GW plastic model. Say what you will about GW, their new plastics have been pretty much on point all the time when it comes to fitting the pieces together (in fact, they tend to go together so well with so little room for issue, it's almost an issue from a creativity standpoint).....but not this one. The inner cynical part of me makes me think they want people to run the plasma pistol for some reason.

Anyone else had this much trouble?

I think there is a good chance that I may finish my Devastator Squad (sans basing) tonight. Which is amazing, it will be the first BA unit I painted in 4 years now. I painted the odd figure here and there but not a whole unit, I find I really don't have the time or patience to paint in batches anymore..

I may start gravitating more towards skirmish games like Kill Team where I don't really have to make the models look as uniform when placed together. I'm actually considering breaking the seal on my Kill Team Cassius box and painting some Deathwatch next.. If only I knew where it is :/

Play lower point games. You get more games in and you don't have to have as many models painted. 1000~1500 is a sweet spot imo.

I don't play games, I just paint.  And painting squads is starting to be too time consuming, I want to focus on painting single figures without worrying about them looking cohesive as a unit, you know?

Played in my first ITC tournament today - some thoughts!

First, CPT slam is a beast. Always does what it says on the box.

Sanguinary guard - I didn’t play them as aggressively as I should’ve because I was too concerned about their support characters making it in. I think they might be used best without support - I don’t know that a 5+++ or +1 S is worth it. Still working it out.

Redemptors with buffed shooting and an invuln from a deredeo are BRUTAL. Volume of shots, beasts in combat - especially turn 3+, i was shocked by how much I liked them.

Death company dread in a drop pod - not worth it. It’s a trap. Death company are more flexible and can be just as deadly - notably, on turn 1.

Suppressors are surprisingly good. Did work in every game and opened up charges for my other units by denying overwatch.

Overall, I learned a lot. My intercessors didn’t do much of anything - the way I played them, I feel like tac squads with las cannons would be more useful. I feel like we need to overload a phase - specifically, the charge phase. Which makes us binary/predictable but still unstoppable - when our combos go off. It’s boom or bust but I don’t know that we have another way to play.

Played in my first ITC tournament today - some thoughts!

First, CPT slam is a beast. Always does what it says on the box.

Sanguinary guard - I didn’t play them as aggressively as I should’ve because I was too concerned about their support characters making it in. I think they might be used best without support - I don’t know that a 5+++ or +1 S is worth it. Still working it out.

Redemptors with buffed shooting and an invuln from a deredeo are BRUTAL. Volume of shots, beasts in combat - especially turn 3+, i was shocked by how much I liked them.

Death company dread in a drop pod - not worth it. It’s a trap. Death company are more flexible and can be just as deadly - notably, on turn 1.

Suppressors are surprisingly good. Did work in every game and opened up charges for my other units by denying overwatch.

Overall, I learned a lot. My intercessors didn’t do much of anything - the way I played them, I feel like tac squads with las cannons would be more useful. I feel like we need to overload a phase - specifically, the charge phase. Which makes us binary/predictable but still unstoppable - when our combos go off. It’s boom or bust but I don’t know that we have another way to play.

Nice work. What was your list?

Can’t figure out how to spoiler tag this so my apologies, but this is what I ran -

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [105 PL, 1,523pts, 5CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

Armoury of Baal [-3CP]: 2 Additional Relics

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Astorath [8 PL, 105pts]: 4. Mantra of Strength, 6. Canticle of Hate, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

Captain [6 PL, 133pts]: Jump Pack, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scout: Boltgun

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites +

Death Company Dreadnought [9 PL, 126pts]: Blood talons, Magna-grapple, Meltagun, Storm bolter

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 155pts]: Heavy onslaught gatling cannon, Onslaught gatling cannon

. Two storm bolters: 2x Storm bolter

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 155pts]: Heavy onslaught gatling cannon, Onslaught gatling cannon

Relic Deredeo Dreadnought [14 PL, 222pts]: Anvillus autocannon battery, Atomantic pavaise, Twin heavy bolter

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 64pts]: Angelus boltgun, Power fist, Standard of Sacrifice

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 228pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Power fist

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

+ Fast Attack +

Suppressor Squad [4 PL, 90pts]

. 2x Suppressor: 2x Accelerator autocannon, 2x Grav-chute

. Suppressor Sergeant: Accelerator autocannon, Grav-chute

+ Dedicated Transport +

Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod [6 PL, 80pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [29 PL, 475pts, 5CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Librarian Dreadnought [9 PL, 142pts]: 1. Quickening, 6. Wings of Sanguinus, Biomantic Sarcophagus, Furioso fist, Storm bolter

Sanguinary Priest [5 PL, 70pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Jump Pack

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 91pts]: Auto bolt rifle, Auxiliary grenade launcher, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

++ Total: [134 PL, 10CP, 1,998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

My buddy, a raven guard player, ended up winning. After some beer hammer together, and the fact that I’d beaten him with something similar before, led us to come up with the following afterwards -

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [70 PL, 824pts, 6CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Astorath [8 PL, 105pts]: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 6. Canticle of Hate, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

Captain [6 PL, 133pts, -1CP]: 2. Artisan of War, Hero of The Chapter, Jump Pack, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

Death Company [9 PL, 90pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine

. . Bolt pistol and chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

Death Company [9 PL, 126pts]: Jump Pack

. Death Company Marine: Boltgun, Power fist

. Death Company Marine

Sanguinary Ancient [6 PL, 63pts]: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword, Standard of Sacrifice, Warlord

Sanguinary Guard [20 PL, 142pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [34 PL, 567pts, 5CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought [11 PL, 167pts]: Twin lascannon

. Melee weapon: Dreadnought combat weapon, Storm bolter

Chief Librarian Mephiston (Primaris) [8 PL, 145pts]: 1. Quickening, 2. Unleash Rage, 6. Wings of Sanguinus

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [39 PL, 609pts, 1CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP [1CP]

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 77pts]: Chainsword, Master-crafted boltgun

+ Elites +

Relic Deredeo Dreadnought [14 PL, 222pts]: Anvillus autocannon battery, Atomantic pavaise, Twin heavy bolter

++ Total: [143 PL, 12CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

In general, I’ve found that our super doctrine is amazing - T3 is NOT too late to worry about charges. Our redemptors, melee focused units, but more importantly, our line troops, turn terrifying T3. That doesn’t mean WAIT - but it does mean don’t over commit.

Even though the chappy dread can’t buff itself like our fellow marines, a character turning out lascannon shots can’t be scoffed at. And I found the deredeo providing an invuln save to the redemptors marching up the field just can’t be overlooked - as it overcomes one of their biggest weaknesses - especially with a captain buffing hits. All in all, I think we are very competitive but require a lot of finesse. As it should be!

I'm afraid you may be disappointed with the Chaplain dread. True, he hits on 2+ when stationary, but he will be walking for 1-2 turns to keep up with the buffing captain. Whenever I take him, he never really brings his points back. His shooting usually manages to punch 1.3 wounding shots per turn, which often gets nullified with some invulnerables. Simply put - he produces not enough shots. Also his character status is kind of unnecessary, as you already present multiple T7 targets. And he has inbuilt 4++ so does not benefit from the Pavise. Wouldn't it be better to have a Lieutenant buffing more shooting instead of the second captain? I'm guessing you will keep the Smash Captain nearby for T1 and on T2 you can pop Wisdom of the Ancients with whichever Dread you like.

Also, no Suppressors this time? But you increased the number of dedicated CC charging units and you can only turn off a limited number of overwatches with the Angel's Wings.