Sorry if I wasn’t super clear - I intend the chappy to just hang back and plink. The CPT, deredeo and redemptors will march up.

Also, I LIKED the suppressors but wasn’t in love with them. You need two squads to be truly effective I think - and I just didn’t have the points. And as CP hungry as we are, I want them for ensuring I get charges/crit rerolls. We’ll see - I’ll keep tinkering!

I do agree about your view on our doctrine, keebler. Committing everything in turn 1 has become less desirable for us because in turn 3 is where even our most humble tactical marine turns into a bit of a machine. Of course, there’s little stings and punches to trade turn one still, but going all-in ASAP doesn’t seem to be the desired strategy for blood angels anymore. Feels a lot better in my limited, filthy casual point of view!

Nice work @Jolemai! Care to share a quick Batrep and/or both lists?

The ability for Ravenwing Black Knight squads to shoot plasma, charge, fight, and then Fall Back out before the enemy has swung has turned that formation into a bit of a boogeyman...but I honestly have not heard of it being used all that much. With PA4 right around the corner, DA may find resurgence so it'll be great to hear your experience.

Finally took a detailed look at the new inquisition rules in the November white dwarf, and I think slotting in a single inquisitor is something I'm going to do. Namely, for two reasons. 1st. We don't have good ways of generating mortal wounds OR denying other armies psychic powers. Our psykers are usually too busy buffing themselves to cast smite, and other than Mephiston, only get 1 deny, and our disciplines offensive powers are pants. 2nd. Terrify. Warp Charge 6, 18", targeted enemy unit can't fire Overwatch. That's huge, when comboed with Angels Wing, you can shut down 2 different units overwatch, letting you send DC into something with scary overwatch without fear is pretty nice without having to waste the captains time.

(And for anyone who doesn't have the rules, a single inquisitor can be taken in any Imperium army, doesn't take up a slot, and doesn't turn off doctrines for us, unlike assassins, its literally just plug and play)

There are a lot of other neat things you can do with a solo inquisitor as well, both generic and several of the named characters. A cheap-as-chips ordo xenos inquisitor can cast 1 power, deny 1 power, and for 1 CP can take a CP regen warlord trait, (Every time your opponent uses a strat, regen 1 CP on a 5+) This model is 55 pts, has character protection, and can cast a utility power or smite. Nice.

Some of the named characters are bonkers, Hector Rex, Coteaz, and too a lesser extent Eisenhorn all are very powerful utility psykers, that also have a decent melee ability. Nothing amazing and worse than our characters, but entirely suitable to hang out among intercessors as a counter-charge threat.

If you just want to mess up your enemies psykers without needing several casts of your own, Greyfax gives 2 denies at a +1, and can snipe psykers with her Damage 3 mastercrafted bolter.

Hector needs a special note, as if you give him the Malleus warlord trait, hes a know 3, cast 3, deny FOUR psyker, with a Str7 force sword, a 2+ save, and a stormshield. for a measly 100 pts. That's kind of absurd.

Snippet

I agree with the chaplain dread that will be a dissapointment.

Other then that, the smash captain has no stormshield? He'll be dead as a doornail after the first thing shoots at him.

Edited by Lynnean

Finally took a detailed look at the new inquisition rules in the November white dwarf, and I think slotting in a single inquisitor is something I'm going to do. Namely, for two reasons. 1st. We don't have good ways of generating mortal wounds OR denying other armies psychic powers. Our psykers are usually too busy buffing themselves to cast smite, and other than Mephiston, only get 1 deny, and our disciplines offensive powers are pants. 2nd. Terrify. Warp Charge 6, 18", targeted enemy unit can't fire Overwatch. That's huge, when comboed with Angels Wing, you can shut down 2 different units overwatch, letting you send DC into something with scary overwatch without fear is pretty nice without having to waste the captains time.

(And for anyone who doesn't have the rules, a single inquisitor can be taken in any Imperium army, doesn't take up a slot, and doesn't turn off doctrines for us, unlike assassins, its literally just plug and play)

There are a lot of other neat things you can do with a solo inquisitor as well, both generic and several of the named characters. A cheap-as-chips ordo xenos inquisitor can cast 1 power, deny 1 power, and for 1 CP can take a CP regen warlord trait, (Every time your opponent uses a strat, regen 1 CP on a 5+) This model is 55 pts, has character protection, and can cast a utility power or smite. Nice.

Some of the named characters are bonkers, Hector Rex, Coteaz, and too a lesser extent Eisenhorn all are very powerful utility psykers, that also have a decent melee ability. Nothing amazing and worse than our characters, but entirely suitable to hang out among intercessors as a counter-charge threat.

If you just want to mess up your enemies psykers without needing several casts of your own, Greyfax gives 2 denies at a +1, and can snipe psykers with her Damage 3 mastercrafted bolter.

Hector needs a special note, as if you give him the Malleus warlord trait, hes a know 3, cast 3, deny FOUR psyker, with a Str7 force sword, a 2+ save, and a stormshield. for a measly 100 pts. That's kind of absurd.

You can always take Soul Warden on a librarian for a 2nd deny. I take it a lot depending on who I play.

Now that we have hero of the chapter it's a good secondary. The best competitive armies are hit and miss on even needing a psychic phase. Your biggest concern is giving up an extra CP to get him in a CP starved army.

I've got several local opponents who rule the psychic phase, Tsons, Deathguard, chaos soup, nids, and even my guard opponent usually brings 2 primaris psykers.

So even 2 denies from 1 character often isn't enough

And you don't have to spend a cp, it's just how you get the warlord trait on them (and a relic if they're a generic character)

But I run a brigade, so I'm usually slightly less cp starved than a usual BA list.

I like Soulwarden with whoever runs with the Sang Guard as it gives them some built in protection as well.

I kinda think Chaplains should each get a variation of Soulwarden as part of their normal data slate, but that’s just me.

Anybody else for the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge? Great way to get at least one model a month painted for this year :)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/360767-12-months-of-hobby-2020/page-7?do=findComment&comment=5460725

I want to do this. But I have to survive school until the summer so I can graduate. Then the wife and I are taking a well deserved Holiday.

All the while I'll have boards to study for in preparation of getting on at one of the local hospitals. I pretty much have a year left before I can do all the things.

Anybody else for the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge? Great way to get at least one model a month painted for this year :smile.:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/360767-12-months-of-hobby-2020/page-7?do=findComment&comment=5460725

I want to, but I got a few trials this next 6 months that are nearly a month long, so I know I'll be in crunch mode and miss a few months. I did one for the Independent Characters many years ago, and that was fun!

For anyone that has missed it, the Angel's Tears with Grenade Launchers and Volkite Serpentas have gone on pre-order from Forgeworld today (Friday).

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Angels-Tears-With-Volkite-Serpentas-2019

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Angels-Tears-With-Grenade-Launchers-2019

I really want to like these kits but am just disappointed in how they look. I've really loved all the previous Blood Angels specific models, with only the Dawnbreakers having a couple of odd design aspects (tabards beingfar to long for one). But these seem so plain. The ornate decoration seems really chunky compared to the other releases.

gallery_27153_14367_322995.jpg

If you compare the Praetor to the Angel's Tears model you can see the detail is a lot finer and more refined. Obviously I'm not expecting the Angel's Tears models to be anywhere as detailed as characters and they shouldn't be, but the detailing should match up a bit better and not be so chunky and boring. The chest armour is really plain and the Grenade Launchers could have had some Blood Angel iconography on the flat panel to the rear of the weapon. The helmets just don't look right to me either.

Got some painting in my IX Legion. Just one color on 5x Assault Marines, a Veteran, and a Praetor. 

I always seem to be feast or famine with painting.

in the 41st millennium, I have Mephy primes, but now I’m stuck in research mode rather than just painting him by instinct.

For anyone that has missed it, the Angel's Tears with Grenade Launchers and Volkite Serpentas have gone on pre-order from Forgeworld today (Friday).

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Angels-Tears-With-Volkite-Serpentas-2019

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/The-Angels-Tears-With-Grenade-Launchers-2019

I really want to like these kits but am just disappointed in how they look. I've really loved all the previous Blood Angels specific models, with only the Dawnbreakers having a couple of odd design aspects (tabards beingfar to long for one). But these seem so plain. The ornate decoration seems really chunky compared to the other releases.

gallery_27153_14367_322995.jpg

If you compare the Praetor to the Angel's Tears model you can see the detail is a lot finer and more refined. Obviously I'm not expecting the Angel's Tears models to be anywhere as detailed as characters and they shouldn't be, but the detailing should match up a bit better and not be so chunky and boring. The chest armour is really plain and the Grenade Launchers could have had some Blood Angel iconography on the flat panel to the rear of the weapon. The helmets just don't look right to me either.

Yeah I think the designer had some good ideas there, the helmet and chest are promising, but it feels like halfway through the design process he gave up and called it finished. It's a good basis for a design that could have been made into something really awesome but as is it's really lacking imo.

Greetings everyone, I haven't anything in quite a long time but my flgs has an escalation league coming up and I've decided on a Death Company themed army all the way up to 2k. I'll get a minimal battalion of scouts in there at some point, but I'll be building into 15 with jump packs, 10-12 in a raven and 10 in a pod and a few dreads, or something like that. Anyways, I finally broke down and bought the Phobos Lt to kitbash into a proper new Smash Captain and I really wanted to share it. The natural pose could not be better for our purposes! 

83723707_10221689518930287_2112636916175

Cheers everyone!