gallery_66172_16151_1102704.jpeg

gallery_66172_16151_846535.jpeg

Some Tactical Marines I've been working on. I know they're not the BA specific kit, but I didn't know I wanted to turn them into Blood Angels when I bought them. In the end I realised that I hadn't painted a Blood Angels Tactical Marine since around 2014, back when I had no idea how to paint, so I thought I'd make a project of them. I know they're not the most competitive unit right now (and in all likelihood never will be again), but by god don't I love them all the same.

These guys look good, really good, nice clean red there - there's just a couple of things that jump out like the missed recess shade on the sergents left thigh armour, and dont forget to drill those barrels!

Edited by Xenith

Blood and Zeal talk on other fora. I wonder what it could mean...?

Cheers for the interest so far folks. Whilst the fine details are still being done on any future event, here is the previous iteration of Blood and Zeal.

The tl;dr is as follows:

• Building event only, whereby models are moved from sprue/bits to being built and undercoated. Conversions are encouraged (bonus points on offer)
  • Duration is seven weeks, each week it's a different category: HQ; Troops; Elites; Fast Attack; Heavy Support; Dedicated Transports; Flyers. So If you wanted to vow Terminators, you would need to wait until the Elites category is open and do it all in that week.
  • Should it go ahead, the IFs will be on the same team as the BTs, who will be our opponents. The team which builds the most (measured in PLs) win the category. The team that wins the most categories wins the event.
Basically, it's a very fast moving event with a very competitive edge. However, the goal is to get folks prepared for the ETL (major B&C painting event) in the summer - as in, Frater have things ready to go when the ETL comes around.

The best part is, there's no painting (bar the undercoat) which not only levels the playing field but wont interfere/burn folk out for any other events you wish to participate in this year :smile.:

Aah, we need a forum-wide version of this across all the Astartes factions. I'd join in with my coming Wolves if we had that.

<snip for length>

Looks great, @t-dog1996. Clean smooth simple (in a great way) red. Very good work on the Sgt's face. 

On a different note, seeing as how Suppressors are the unit of the week....

....what color helm for them? Yellow? Blue?

.....to answer my own question, I am leaning towards Yellow since they are in the Fast Attack FOC. I don't know if that's official or not, but to me their kind of like Attack Bikes: they may have Heavy weapons, but their role is to be mobile first and foremost. 

Edited by Indefragable

<snip for length>

Looks great, @t-dog1996. Clean smooth simple (in a great way) red. Very good work on the Sgt's face. 

On a different note, seeing as how Suppressors are the unit of the week....

....what color helm for them? Yellow? Blue?

.....to answer my own question, I am leaning towards Yellow since they are in the Fast Attack FOC. I don't know if that's official or not, but to me their kind of like Attack Bikes: they may have Heavy weapons, but their role is to be mobile first and foremost. 

Blue. Definitely. They are Fire Support. The FOC slot has absolutely nothing to do with their battlefield role in the company. One is crunch the other is fluff.

EDIT source from Codex: Space Marines:

ok1IuBF.png

Edited by Panzer

Yea, so I get that is the official word, but it does not make sense to me. It's like how Flyers are Fast Attack (when they're not in a dedicated Flyer or Super Heavy spot): they can carry more guns than a tank or dread, but the fact that the way they are utilized--rapid response, interdiction, speed-- to deploy those guns is of more of a Fast Attack nature. To me, Heavy Support is more siege-oriented: they bring big heavy weapons or capabilities and that is their priority first or foremost. 

Yea, so I get that is the official word, but it does not make sense to me. It's like how Flyers are Fast Attack (when they're not in a dedicated Flyer or Super Heavy spot): they can carry more guns than a tank or dread, but the fact that the way they are utilized--rapid response, interdiction, speed-- to deploy those guns is of more of a Fast Attack nature. To me, Heavy Support is more siege-oriented: they bring big heavy weapons or capabilities and that is their priority first or foremost. 

Fast Attack, Heavy Support, Elite and Troops have absolutely no meaning whatsoever. That's PURELY crunch. We also have Close Support in the Troops section (Incursors) and in the Elites section (Reivers) as well as Fire Support in the Elites section (Aggressors).

Also as I already mentioned in the unit of the week thread, you seem to be falling for the trap that they have Jump Packs. They aren't Assault Marines with heavy guns. They are Devastators with Jump Packs. Play them as Devastators that occasionaly jump if they have to, not as Assault Marines that jump around all the time with bad hitting heavy guns.

Edited by Panzer

The official colour scheme is one thing but even official schemes have to give way to the First Rule of Modelling. They are your models so paint them how you like! ;)

For what it is worth, I am not a big fan of colour coded helmets. My Inceptors have red helms and despite having plenty of Devastators, the only blue helmet in my army is on my Librarian.

med_gallery_82363_13858_1340939.jpg

Got a 2k pts game against Orks Today and managed to pull a 24-19 win for the Sons of Sanguinius. We called it after turn 3 as it was a bit late and T4 wuld not bring much changes in the score (I would have probably gain 3 more points, and my opponent - 4)

I was rocking a Brigade with Smash, Astorath, Sanguinor, Phobos Captain (Quake bolts) and Malleus Inquisitor (2casts, 2denys) along with 2 Incursors, 2 scouts, 2 Intercessors, 2 Eliminators, Whirlwind (anti-infantry), 2 Suppressors, 1 Dakka-ceptors, CompAncient, SangNovitiate, 8xDC, Invictor.

Orks had a triple Battalion with 3 Weirdboys, Boss, 2 Meks (1 SAG, 1 field), 3x30 Boyz, 6x10 Gretchin, 10xLootas and lots of Mek Smash Guns.

My first time against orks.
- Phobos Captain with Quake Bolts is really solid. Didn't wound anything :woot: but quake bolts were sweet and hitting consistently. And his 12" no-daJump-sir bubble in the middle of the field was most annoying for my opponent. He also provided some re-rolls to Eliminators

- Invictor+Incursors+Souts+FFd DC are a nice combo
- Suppresors were castled with the Ancient and Sanguinary Novitiate and were drawing much attention. Didn't really killed that much (orks are numerous) but they drew fire from my other units and helped fill the Brigade

- Eliminators were OK. In the end they kiled the SAG when I was able to clear those pesky gretchins.

- Incursors were solid. I forgot about their exploding 6s in combat :wallbash:

- Scouts die easily against those numbers of attacks the Boyz dish-out, but still are solid Troop slot-fillers and can keep an objective when our scarier units fight

- not sure on the Inquisitor. I took Malleus for additional Cast and Deny and the ability to offer 5++ to a unit. Admittedly it is hard to deny successfully against Orks.

This semester is flying by. I've been so busy. I haven't painted a blood angel in a couple months. :(

Other models have been on the table though!

Not many but some. I have a grav-bomb sitting on my desk that needs some red paint love but that's about it.

Still taking time in between study breaks to work on lists. Powerfist bike sergeants and squads are also being assembled/prepped for B&Z. Cheers!

DBH

Last night I started the highlights on some space marine bikers. As I spend too many time on this, I tried to put only one highlight (Tau light ochre) rather than two (Troll salyer Orange + Tau light ochre). 

I thought I had find a way to paint my models faster, but since this morning the color of my bikers disturb me and this evening will redo the highlights with the Troll Slayer Orange... 

So I still don't know how increase my paint speed :ermm:

Well, if you skip a step in highlighting, you'll be getting sharper and less natural contrast. You can use a wash to bring the colors together, but then that's another step ;) And the final highlight will less pronounced. 

Why do you need to speed up painting in the first place? You have excellent quality and this takes time.

And bikers do have MANY edges that need highlighting. I remember how I thought, I would crack a squad of scout bikers in no time. Couldn't have been more wrong :P

Just try enjoying your work. The journey gives a lot of satisfaction as well :)

Well, if you skip a step in highlighting, you'll be getting sharper and less natural contrast. You can use a wash to bring the colors together, but then that's another step :wink: And the final highlight will less pronounced. 

Why do you need to speed up painting in the first place? You have excellent quality and this takes time.

And bikers do have MANY edges that need highlighting. I remember how I thought, I would crack a squad of scout bikers in no time. Couldn't have been more wrong :tongue.:

Just try enjoying your work. The journey gives a lot of satisfaction as well :smile.:

So true, many times I have thought this. Scout Bikers were especially deceiving.

Why do you need to speed up painting in the first place? 

Because I'm tired to paint 10 space Marines in 2 months ^^

I still cringe at the thought of painting Death Company. 2 months was about right. I spent half the time dreading going back to them. Wonderful models once completed, but so much iconography to get through was a pain. 

Edited by Chronos1985

I still cringe at the thought of painting Death Company. 2 months was about right. I spent half the time dreading going back to them. Wonderful models once completed, but so much iconography to get through was a pain. 

I 'm also disappointed by my slow progress. I guess by the time I finish painting an all-primaris 2K force, a new codex with Blood Angels primaris veteran units will probably be out...

My progress: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356757-the-new-ironhelms-spyros-42000-painting-blog/

Indeed. 10 man units burn me out, so I've been painting in squads of 5 with a few tanks or characters in between.

If you have to skip a step, skip the final highlight for the normal dudes, but keep it on the sergeant and characters. Base red, shade, one highlight is enough for rank and file to look great on the table. 

Indeed. 10 man units burn me out, so I've been painting in squads of 5 with a few tanks or characters in between.

If you have to skip a step, skip the final highlight for the normal dudes, but keep it on the sergeant and characters. Base red, shade, one highlight is enough for rank and file to look great on the table. 

I'm a glutton for punishment, I just can't control my need to not skip steps on my normal marines =(

Although I do agree, and do the 5 marines, then a character/vehicle. It's great for rewarding your time with your standard units. Primaris Mephiston was the only Blood Angel HQ I didn't enjoy. I made alot of pre-planning mistakes. Sub assembly was not the way to go with how I proceeded. When I tried to align a painted yellow tubing to glue onto painted miniature, it was a disaster of rubbed paint. Even the sniffing finger arm was a disaster...I just tossed it and did the plasma arm instead. The model came out great, but I'm tempted to start a new one over.

Did you all have better experiences with primaris Mephiston?

Edited by Chronos1985