Why do you need to speed up painting in the first place? 

Because I'm tired to paint 10 space Marines in 2 months ^^

Indeed. 10 man units burn me out, so I've been painting in squads of 5 with a few tanks or characters in between.

If you have to skip a step, skip the final highlight for the normal dudes, but keep it on the sergeant and characters. Base red, shade, one highlight is enough for rank and file to look great on the table. 

I'm a glutton for punishment, I just can't control my need to not skip steps on my normal marines =(

Although I do agree, and do the 5 marines, then a character/vehicle. It's great for rewarding your time with your standard units. Primaris Mephiston was the only Blood Angel HQ I didn't enjoy. I made alot of pre-planning mistakes. Sub assembly was not the way to go with how I proceeded. When I tried to align a painted yellow tubing to glue onto painted miniature, it was a disaster of rubbed paint. Even the sniffing finger arm was a disaster...I just tossed it and did the plasma arm instead. The model came out great, but I'm tempted to start a new one over.

Did you all have better experiences with primaris Mephiston?

He was definitely one of the worst models to assemble I’ve experienced. The sniffing arm had to be essentially duct-taped onto the side of him and the shoulder pad stuffed with green stuff to make it look right.

A few tips for speedpainting from someone who does rapid paint jobs for most of his armies.

1: Drybrushing is your friend. For easy shading, try a dark base color (maybe Khorne Red?), then a very heavy drybrush of a lighter color (Mephiston Red?), then a fitting wash (Carroburg Crimson is appropriate for red). I've seen Wolves done in a similar way, with base->wash->heavy drybrush, as well, and I do my Raven Guard using the method detailed above.

2. Batch paint and don't worry about the finer details. Unless you're painting a character or a super elite squad you only have a handful of, just do the models without stopping and while not really worrying about the details, since you can always clean 'em up later if you need to.

3. Take regular breaks and don't time yourself unless you're specifically challenging yourself. Burnout's a :censored:, so work around it and try to prevent it.

All in all, finding an easy, fast way to do your army is the biggest thing. Like, my Raven Guard, I use one wash for almost everything on the models, that being Nuln Oil. If you went for the base->shade->heavy drybrush method, you could probably do the same thing, albeit with some cleanup probably.

Why do you need to speed up painting in the first place? 

Because I'm tired to paint 10 space Marines in 2 months ^^

Indeed. 10 man units burn me out, so I've been painting in squads of 5 with a few tanks or characters in between.

If you have to skip a step, skip the final highlight for the normal dudes, but keep it on the sergeant and characters. Base red, shade, one highlight is enough for rank and file to look great on the table. 

I'm a glutton for punishment, I just can't control my need to not skip steps on my normal marines =(

Although I do agree, and do the 5 marines, then a character/vehicle. It's great for rewarding your time with your standard units. Primaris Mephiston was the only Blood Angel HQ I didn't enjoy. I made alot of pre-planning mistakes. Sub assembly was not the way to go with how I proceeded. When I tried to align a painted yellow tubing to glue onto painted miniature, it was a disaster of rubbed paint. Even the sniffing finger arm was a disaster...I just tossed it and did the plasma arm instead. The model came out great, but I'm tempted to start a new one over.

Did you all have better experiences with primaris Mephiston?

He was definitely one of the worst models to assemble I’ve experienced. The sniffing arm had to be essentially duct-taped onto the side of him and the shoulder pad stuffed with green stuff to make it look right.

Kind of glad to hear that... I thought i must have clipped or sanded too much off as that arm just wasn't sitting right. 

It's been on my shelf for a while now in bits thinking about magnetising both arms. Sounds like going straight to plasma (which seems to fit fine) is the go. 

Feel productive overall despite not having finished product...

...assembled and fully magnetized (quite well, if I might say so) 6x Eliminators to swap between sniper and las fusil options...

...fully assembled 3x Scout bikes...

....got a whole bunch of weapon option magnetizing done for my IX Legion...

...and added more paint to assault termites, and IX Legion Vets, ASM, and Praetor. 

I’ve started painting my Incursors to be ready for a local tournament at the end of March. Thought I’d create a small diorama out of them hunting Tau.

gallery_100576_16165_271418.jpeg

Jungle bases, jungle terrain and hunting T'au? I and my jungle themed T'au feel personally attacked. :D

I’ve started painting my Incursors to be ready for a local tournament at the end of March. Thought I’d create a small diorama out of them hunting Tau.

Jungle bases, jungle terrain and hunting T'au? I and my jungle themed T'au feel personally attacked. :D

Oh don’t worry, my desert themed T’au are firmly on your side!

Jungle bases, jungle terrain and hunting T'au? I and my jungle themed T'au feel personally attacked. :biggrin.:

Oh don’t worry, my desert themed T’au are firmly on your side!

Fits my desert themed Blood Angels I guess. :biggrin.:

Kind of glad to hear that... I thought i must have clipped or sanded too much off as that arm just wasn't sitting right.

It's been on my shelf for a while now in bits thinking about magnetising both arms. Sounds like going straight to plasma (which seems to fit fine) is the go.

I've made my attempt at building mine Yesterday. The conclusion is that the wiping hand is simply cast wrong :tongue.:

It is supposed to sit as low as possible on that cable with the skull. It then look OK with the head. The problem is that the arm then does not meet with the shoulder correctly (if at all).

I have filed the stump protruding from the arm to help the arm sit better on the skull-cable. This is how much space is then left between the arm and shoulder:

med_gallery_105306_14251_29837.jpeg

But no worries - it's just the way it is cast :smile.:

I believe that with filing the arm a bit from the top (you can see it started here), I will be able to mask it well enough with just the shoulder guard once I start assembling painted parts. I can always stuff GS into the space, but from the first dry-fitting it does not seem overly necessary.

EDIT: it turns out that the hand needs to be placed on the skull-topped cable and then pushed into the shoulder unitl it snaps into place. Just watch out as it is then hard to remove :P Filing the snapping stump a little helps.

Edited by Majkhel

BA definitely got a buff today. Or rather, Iron Hands got nerfed to hell. Looks like Marines vs Marines we have a solid Super Doctrine now compared to those in heavy doctrine and on par with those in Tactical.

And lo, with the other hand, GW tooketh and verily Iron Hands and Dark Angel players wept tears of blood! :ohmy.:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/246fca2d.pdf

and

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/22137816.pdf

BA definitely got a buff today. Or rather, Iron Hands got nerfed to hell. Looks like Marines vs Marines we have a solid Super Doctrine now compared to those in heavy doctrine and on par with those in Tactical.

And lo, with the other hand, GW tooketh and verily Iron Hands and Dark Angel players wept tears of blood! :ohmy.:

and

I think Imperial Fist players are probably more distraught than Dark Angel players.  

and

I think Imperial Fist players are probably more distraught than Dark Angel players.  

Nah. I play Imperial fists. I'm not worried about it at all. IF didn't even need their Super Doctrine to be competitive. Imperial fists are just fine.

The Doctrines "nerf" is interesting. On my first reading of the direct wording of Doctrines when SM 2.0 came out, I thought that was how it worked: your Doctrine auto-changes every Turn and you have to "pay" to keep it where it is. Turns out I was wrong...and so was GW? Lolz. It definitely feels a bit more well rounded for all parties now...for better and worse, with Doctrines being a nice-to-have for the Turn they apply rather than a Tertiary chapter tactic to build your list around. 

To be honest, the ones I feel the worst for are the Dark Angels since their +6"/+3" buff felt more like a much needed tweak to their main chapter tactics than a "nice to have" for a Turn or two. 

In a bigger picture sense, this change worries me a bit. The silver lining to Doctrines being so powerful was that it FINALLY offered tangible rewards for mono-faction armies that compared to, if not outright bested, the advantages of going soup. Though the galaxy became firmly grasped by a hand of iron as a result, it offered a bigger picture hope that GW was moving in the direction for all factions to get at least an attempt at worthwhile mono-faction bonuses. With Doctrines being brought back down to earth a bit, I can't help but wonder if soup will be the dominant menu item again for some time to come. 

...but before this post comes off as whiny or negative (that is not the intention), I can firmly say I am glad that I only have to weather 1-2 rounds of DevDoc shooting now rather than 5+. I think we sons of Baal have thus gained via addition by subtraction. 

In a bigger picture sense, this change worries me a bit. The silver lining to Doctrines being so powerful was that it FINALLY offered tangible rewards for mono-faction armies that compared to, if not outright bested, the advantages of going soup. Though the galaxy became firmly grasped by a hand of iron as a result, it offered a bigger picture hope that GW was moving in the direction for all factions to get at least an attempt at worthwhile mono-faction bonuses. With Doctrines being brought back down to earth a bit, I can't help but wonder if soup will be the dominant menu item again for some time to come. 

Don't worry, Doctrines are still powerful. However chapters with a super doctrine for the Dev doctrine now don't have a much smaller advantage over chapters who have to wait for one or two turns to get their super doctrine.

I am in favour of mono-faction bonuses given how prevalent Soup was for a while.

I think the problem with the Chapter super-bonuses was that they were tied to a single doctrine which created an incentive to double-down on everything. In general, when a rule leads to spamming a certain type of unit, you know it will lead to broken builds. The competitive advantage accumulates the more you spam until nothing but a mirror match can beat you.

I also think it is a shame they nerfed "Duty Eternal" for everyone when it was largely IH Leviathans with Ironstone that were the problem. Making it non-stackable with Ironstone would be a start and changing the Keyword on Leviathans to "Siege Dreadnought" would have fixed the specific problem without nerfing a stratagem that was fine for most Chapters and Dreads in the main codex. I cannot help but feel we are all being punished for Forgeworld's sins.

Yea it does now feel a bit more flavorful with nearly all SM chapters doing a bit of everything, with some having an edge for a Turn in one area while others have an edge in a different Turn, etc... How it should be. 

@Karhedron I will never understand GW's logic with some things. Just as you pointed out, they throw the entire orphanage out with the bath water because of a few singular instances of bad interactions. 

Meh

For most situations, the Duty Eternal nerf means nothing to us.

Agaisnt 1,2, and 3 damage attacks, it's the same.

And those are by far the more common anti tank damage these days, with D2 and D3 being taken more often for their consistency.

And against Dd6 damage, you have a 50% it's the same as before, a 33% its slightly worse, and a 17% its noticeably worse.

Against 4 and 5, its 1 more damage.

It really only does a lot less against 6 damage hits.

And imo, you shouldn't be able to just shrug off knight melee attacks for 1CP.

It's still really good vs spammed D2 damage shots

I'm glad people can't just double down on heavy weapons now

It also puts us noticeably better off by comparison now.

Since we already moved through our doctrines like everyone will have to now.

"We maintained a degree of flexibility by letting players choose when they would progress to the next doctrine, imagining that every Space Marines player would wish to progress through the sequence as quick as they could – after all, an average ‘combined arms’ army has more melee weapons in it than it has Rapid Fire weapons (every model technically has a melee weapon) and fewer still have Heavy weapons. The idea was that as the game progressed (and the enemy got closer) you’d get more of a bonus by switching combat doctrines."

This is an interesting statement to me. Follow me on this one: they mention that it's a benefit that ALL units to have access to melee ability. This implies, then eludes to, melee as a benefit with regards to the melee vs. shooting balance debate. What if they genuinely believe that melee is MORE powerful than shooting because everyone can do it?

Food for thought. Please don't read into this any further as it's not really worth diving further.

This is an interesting statement to me. Follow me on this one: they mention that it's a benefit that ALL units to have access to melee ability. This implies, then eludes to, melee as a benefit with regards to the melee vs. shooting balance debate. What if they genuinely believe that melee is MORE powerful than shooting because everyone can do it?

I genuinely believe this is what they believe.  One only needs to look at the command point cost of fighting twice (typically 3 CP for a squad, rarely 2 CP for an individual) versus shooting twice (typically 2 CP for an entire squad, and I don't know of an example off the top of my head that isn't).

I've made my attempt at building mine Yesterday. The conclusion is that the wiping hand is simply cast wrong :tongue.:

It is supposed to sit as low as possible on that cable with the skull. It then look OK with the head. The problem is that the arm then does not meet with the shoulder correctly (if at all).

I have filed the stump protruding from the arm to help the arm sit better on the skull-cable. This is how much space is then left between the arm and shoulder:

med_gallery_105306_14251_29837.jpeg

But no worries - it's just the way it is cast :smile.:

I believe that with filing the arm a bit from the top (you can see it started here), I will be able to mask it well enough with just the shoulder guard once I start assembling painted parts. I can always stuff GS into the space, but from the first dry-fitting it does not seem overly necessary.

I've built this model and the hand fits just fine, you just have to push on it so it "clicks" into place. It forms a snug fit over the cable, no trimming required.

EDIT: And for some reason I'm building Yellow Blood Angels (Lamenters). So far I've got this:

MdvMYQu.png

and a Sanguinary Priest. Any recommendations on where to start with this and what to add next?

Edited by Fulkes

I don't mean to discourage you but the amount of oldmarine models in that box makes it a very bad long term investment..

Maybe, but I can expand into all Primaris slowly. And even if we drop Old Marines they'll likely go Legends so they'll be playable for a good while.