Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
10344 replies to this topic

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,834 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Why do you need to speed up painting in the first place? 

Because I'm tired to paint 10 space Marines in 2 months ^^

Indeed. 10 man units burn me out, so I've been painting in squads of 5 with a few tanks or characters in between.

If you have to skip a step, skip the final highlight for the normal dudes, but keep it on the sergeant and characters. Base red, shade, one highlight is enough for rank and file to look great on the table. 

I'm a glutton for punishment, I just can't control my need to not skip steps on my normal marines =(

Although I do agree, and do the 5 marines, then a character/vehicle. It's great for rewarding your time with your standard units. Primaris Mephiston was the only Blood Angel HQ I didn't enjoy. I made alot of pre-planning mistakes. Sub assembly was not the way to go with how I proceeded. When I tried to align a painted yellow tubing to glue onto painted miniature, it was a disaster of rubbed paint. Even the sniffing finger arm was a disaster...I just tossed it and did the plasma arm instead. The model came out great, but I'm tempted to start a new one over.

Did you all have better experiences with primaris Mephiston?

He was definitely one of the worst models to assemble I’ve experienced. The sniffing arm had to be essentially duct-taped onto the side of him and the shoulder pad stuffed with green stuff to make it look right.

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,190 posts

A few tips for speedpainting from someone who does rapid paint jobs for most of his armies.

1: Drybrushing is your friend. For easy shading, try a dark base color (maybe Khorne Red?), then a very heavy drybrush of a lighter color (Mephiston Red?), then a fitting wash (Carroburg Crimson is appropriate for red). I've seen Wolves done in a similar way, with base->wash->heavy drybrush, as well, and I do my Raven Guard using the method detailed above.

2. Batch paint and don't worry about the finer details. Unless you're painting a character or a super elite squad you only have a handful of, just do the models without stopping and while not really worrying about the details, since you can always clean 'em up later if you need to.

3. Take regular breaks and don't time yourself unless you're specifically challenging yourself. Burnout's a censored.gif, so work around it and try to prevent it.

All in all, finding an easy, fast way to do your army is the biggest thing. Like, my Raven Guard, I use one wash for almost everything on the models, that being Nuln Oil. If you went for the base->shade->heavy drybrush method, you could probably do the same thing, albeit with some cleanup probably.

• Lord Fancy Pants, Dolchiate Remembrancer and BluejayJunior like this

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15808_1006.pnggallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_2719.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Ekfud

Ekfud

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 249 posts

Why do you need to speed up painting in the first place? 

Because I'm tired to paint 10 space Marines in 2 months ^^

Indeed. 10 man units burn me out, so I've been painting in squads of 5 with a few tanks or characters in between.

If you have to skip a step, skip the final highlight for the normal dudes, but keep it on the sergeant and characters. Base red, shade, one highlight is enough for rank and file to look great on the table. 

I'm a glutton for punishment, I just can't control my need to not skip steps on my normal marines =(

Although I do agree, and do the 5 marines, then a character/vehicle. It's great for rewarding your time with your standard units. Primaris Mephiston was the only Blood Angel HQ I didn't enjoy. I made alot of pre-planning mistakes. Sub assembly was not the way to go with how I proceeded. When I tried to align a painted yellow tubing to glue onto painted miniature, it was a disaster of rubbed paint. Even the sniffing finger arm was a disaster...I just tossed it and did the plasma arm instead. The model came out great, but I'm tempted to start a new one over.

Did you all have better experiences with primaris Mephiston?

He was definitely one of the worst models to assemble I’ve experienced. The sniffing arm had to be essentially duct-taped onto the side of him and the shoulder pad stuffed with green stuff to make it look right.

Kind of glad to hear that... I thought i must have clipped or sanded too much off as that arm just wasn't sitting right. 

It's been on my shelf for a while now in bits thinking about magnetising both arms. Sounds like going straight to plasma (which seems to fit fine) is the go. 

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpggallery_48988_10069_2782.pngETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gifETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_2018_Medal_06_Dominus_Exercitus.gifETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_An

Ekfud's Daemonbanes [Blood Angels 5th Company Blog]

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,834 posts

Feel productive overall despite not having finished product...

...assembled and fully magnetized (quite well, if I might say so) 6x Eliminators to swap between sniper and las fusil options...

...fully assembled 3x Scout bikes...

....got a whole bunch of weapon option magnetizing done for my IX Legion...

...and added more paint to assault termites, and IX Legion Vets, ASM, and Praetor. 

• Zephaniah Adriyen likes this

VanDutch

VanDutch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 91 posts
I’ve started painting my Incursors to be ready for a local tournament at the end of March. Thought I’d create a small diorama out of them hunting Tau.

gallery_100576_16165_271418.jpeg
  • Arkaniss, Indefragable, Spyros and 2 others like this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,904 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

I’ve started painting my Incursors to be ready for a local tournament at the end of March. Thought I’d create a small diorama out of them hunting Tau.

Jungle bases, jungle terrain and hunting T'au? I and my jungle themed T'au feel personally attacked. :D 

• VanDutch likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

VanDutch

VanDutch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 91 posts

Jungle bases, jungle terrain and hunting T'au? I and my jungle themed T'au feel personally attacked. :D

Oh don’t worry, my desert themed T’au are firmly on your side!
  • Panzer likes this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,904 posts

Jungle bases, jungle terrain and hunting T'au? I and my jungle themed T'au feel personally attacked. biggrin.png

Oh don’t worry, my desert themed T’au are firmly on your side!

Fits my desert themed Blood Angels I guess. biggrin.png

• VanDutch likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Majkhel

Majkhel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,371 posts

Kind of glad to hear that... I thought i must have clipped or sanded too much off as that arm just wasn't sitting right. 

It's been on my shelf for a while now in bits thinking about magnetising both arms. Sounds like going straight to plasma (which seems to fit fine) is the go. 

I've made my attempt at building mine Yesterday. The conclusion is that the wiping hand is simply cast wrong :P 
It is supposed to sit as low as possible on that cable with the skull. It then look OK with the head. The problem is that the arm then does not meet with the shoulder correctly (if at all). 

I have filed the stump protruding from the arm to help the arm sit better on the skull-cable. This is how much space is then left between the arm and shoulder: 
med_gallery_105306_14251_29837.jpeg
But no worries - it's just the way it is cast :)
I believe that with filing the arm a bit from the top (you can see it started here), I will be able to mask it well enough with just the shoulder guard once I start assembling painted parts. I can always stuff GS into the space, but from the first dry-fitting it does not seem overly necessary.

• Panzer likes this

WIP thread - Blood Angels 5th Company "Daemonbanes"  ||   Other things&projects
gallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_62972_14467_3723.jpggallery_105306_14812_3271.pnggallery_105306_14812_1034.pnggallery_105306_14812_1799.gifgallery_105306_14812_2682.gifgallery_48988_15094_7420.pnggallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_6220.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.png

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~W. Churchill

Spoiler

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,668 posts
  • Faction: Carmine Blades

BA definitely got a buff today. Or rather, Iron Hands got nerfed to hell. Looks like Marines vs Marines we have a solid Super Doctrine now compared to those in heavy doctrine and on par with those in Tactical. 

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,790 posts

BA definitely got a buff today. Or rather, Iron Hands got nerfed to hell. Looks like Marines vs Marines we have a solid Super Doctrine now compared to those in heavy doctrine and on par with those in Tactical.

And lo, with the other hand, GW tooketh and verily Iron Hands and Dark Angel players wept tears of blood! ohmy.png

https://www.warhamme...09/246fca2d.pdf

and

https://www.warhamme...10/22137816.pdf
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,790 posts
Slightly disappointed that they didn't fix our Relics stratagem to bring it into line with Codex chapters. sad.png
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,668 posts

Slightly disappointed that they didn't fix our Relics stratagem to bring it into line with Codex chapters. sad.png

Or our chapter masters, or Flesh Tearers CT, etc.

• Karhedron likes this

gallery_62972_10568_26224.jpggallery_62972_10568_6124.jpggallery_62972_10568_31437.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_Angallery_62972_14467_3723.jpgxpyOWpw.jpggallery_62972_14467_9083.jpg

Knaru

Knaru

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, Crimson Fists

And lo, with the other hand, GW tooketh and verily Iron Hands and Dark Angel players wept tears of blood! ohmy.png

and

I think Imperial Fist players are probably more distraught than Dark Angel players.  

Dont-Be-Haten

Dont-Be-Haten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,668 posts

and

I think Imperial Fist players are probably more distraught than Dark Angel players.  

Nah. I play Imperial fists. I'm not worried about it at all. IF didn't even need their Super Doctrine to be competitive. Imperial fists are just fine.

• Panzer likes this

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,834 posts

The Doctrines "nerf" is interesting. On my first reading of the direct wording of Doctrines when SM 2.0 came out, I thought that was how it worked: your Doctrine auto-changes every Turn and you have to "pay" to keep it where it is. Turns out I was wrong...and so was GW? Lolz. It definitely feels a bit more well rounded for all parties now...for better and worse, with Doctrines being a nice-to-have for the Turn they apply rather than a Tertiary chapter tactic to build your list around. 

To be honest, the ones I feel the worst for are the Dark Angels since their +6"/+3" buff felt more like a much needed tweak to their main chapter tactics than a "nice to have" for a Turn or two. 

In a bigger picture sense, this change worries me a bit. The silver lining to Doctrines being so powerful was that it FINALLY offered tangible rewards for mono-faction armies that compared to, if not outright bested, the advantages of going soup. Though the galaxy became firmly grasped by a hand of iron as a result, it offered a bigger picture hope that GW was moving in the direction for all factions to get at least an attempt at worthwhile mono-faction bonuses. With Doctrines being brought back down to earth a bit, I can't help but wonder if soup will be the dominant menu item again for some time to come. 

...but before this post comes off as whiny or negative (that is not the intention), I can firmly say I am glad that I only have to weather 1-2 rounds of DevDoc shooting now rather than 5+. I think we sons of Baal have thus gained via addition by subtraction. 

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 19,904 posts

In a bigger picture sense, this change worries me a bit. The silver lining to Doctrines being so powerful was that it FINALLY offered tangible rewards for mono-faction armies that compared to, if not outright bested, the advantages of going soup. Though the galaxy became firmly grasped by a hand of iron as a result, it offered a bigger picture hope that GW was moving in the direction for all factions to get at least an attempt at worthwhile mono-faction bonuses. With Doctrines being brought back down to earth a bit, I can't help but wonder if soup will be the dominant menu item again for some time to come. 

Don't worry, Doctrines are still powerful. However chapters with a super doctrine for the Dev doctrine now don't have a much smaller advantage over chapters who have to wait for one or two turns to get their super doctrine.

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,790 posts
I am in favour of mono-faction bonuses given how prevalent Soup was for a while.

I think the problem with the Chapter super-bonuses was that they were tied to a single doctrine which created an incentive to double-down on everything. In general, when a rule leads to spamming a certain type of unit, you know it will lead to broken builds. The competitive advantage accumulates the more you spam until nothing but a mirror match can beat you.

I also think it is a shame they nerfed "Duty Eternal" for everyone when it was largely IH Leviathans with Ironstone that were the problem. Making it non-stackable with Ironstone would be a start and changing the Keyword on Leviathans to "Siege Dreadnought" would have fixed the specific problem without nerfing a stratagem that was fine for most Chapters and Dreads in the main codex. I cannot help but feel we are all being punished for Forgeworld's sins.

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,834 posts

Yea it does now feel a bit more flavorful with nearly all SM chapters doing a bit of everything, with some having an edge for a Turn in one area while others have an edge in a different Turn, etc... How it should be. 

@Karhedron I will never understand GW's logic with some things. Just as you pointed out, they throw the entire orphanage out with the bath water because of a few singular instances of bad interactions. 

The Unseen

The Unseen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,420 posts
  • Faction: Charnel Guard
Meh
For most situations, the Duty Eternal nerf means nothing to us.
Agaisnt 1,2, and 3 damage attacks, it's the same.
And those are by far the more common anti tank damage these days, with D2 and D3 being taken more often for their consistency.
And against Dd6 damage, you have a 50% it's the same as before, a 33% its slightly worse, and a 17% its noticeably worse.

Against 4 and 5, its 1 more damage.
It really only does a lot less against 6 damage hits.
And imo, you shouldn't be able to just shrug off knight melee attacks for 1CP.
It's still really good vs spammed D2 damage shots

I'm glad people can't just double down on heavy weapons now
It also puts us noticeably better off by comparison now.
Since we already moved through our doctrines like everyone will have to now.

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius! Death! DEATH!"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels Chapter, Blood Angels Legion, Blood Angels Inspirational, Blood Angels Successors

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Brother Cruoris, Bing (1)