Took my 1000 points out for a couple more games in the escalation league. Had great games against death guard and Custodes.

Both times Mephiston was the blade of sanguinius, causing a 20 point swing as he scored me 15 and took away some of the opponents ‘while we stand we fight’ points.

Both games were potentially tough: death guard had an increased aura blightspwan with revolting stench vats (which luckily he left vulnerable to a mobile snipe, otherwise a 12” deny redthirst/shock assault aura might have been a hard counter.

The Custodes had a telemon, Achilles and callidus.. and I struggled to have the tools to take them down. At the end of the game I’d killed the tank, bike captain and shield guard but his two dreadnoughts were still standing and he won by 1 point… close!

Couple of great opponents too, which made for a very good afternoon of gaming :)

Next iteration is 1500 points! Probably add 10 death company intercessors and a leviathan:)

1112642_sm-.jpeg

Edited by dice4thedicegod

Won a local tourney yesterday - Fight for the Fort in BCP. Went 3-0, winning all my games handily. Won 100-20 something against sisters, 99-30 something against Thousand Sons, and then 97 to 27 against a really nasty nid list.

Big takeaways - seems silly but play the objectives not the player. I think all my opponents were so focused on my army that they forgot what they needed to score. So even if my army was depleted, I had usually prevented them from scoring primary and secondary objectives, while nearly maxing mine every turn.

I played mostly engage, oath and then assassinate, abhor the witch, and grind them down, in that order. +1 to advance and charge and +1 to wound are as strong as ever, making small units super deadly. I focused on several small squads of choppy, back up by solid dreadnought shooting and inceptors. Dante passing out re-rolls was simply clutch.

All in all, really fun event and great win for BA!

Won a local tourney yesterday - Fight for the Fort in BCP. Went 3-0, winning all my games handily. Won 100-20 something against sisters, 99-30 something against Thousand Sons, and then 97 to 27 against a really nasty nid list.

Big takeaways - seems silly but play the objectives not the player. I think all my opponents were so focused on my army that they forgot what they needed to score. So even if my army was depleted, I had usually prevented them from scoring primary and secondary objectives, while nearly maxing mine every turn.

I played mostly engage, oath and then assassinate, abhor the witch, and grind them down, in that order. +1 to advance and charge and +1 to wound are as strong as ever, making small units super deadly. I focused on several small squads of choppy, back up by solid dreadnought shooting and inceptors. Dante passing out re-rolls was simply clutch.

All in all, really fun event and great win for BA!

Many congrats for winning. Would be quite cool to see your list you took @keeblerartillery

Here you go! Plasma inceptors and VanVets went into reserves every game and provided a huge T2 swing, in conjunction with most of my charges happening then.

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [83 PL, 1,095pts, -5CP] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selector**: Blood Angels

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, 155pts, -1CP]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Icon of The Angel, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [10 PL, 145pts]

. 3x Bladeguard Veteran: 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3x Master-crafted power sword, 3x Storm Shield

. Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant: Neo-volkite pistol

. 3x Bladeguard Veteran: 3x Frag & Krak grenades, 3x Heavy Bolt Pistol, 3x Master-crafted power sword, 3x Storm Shield

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 150pts, -1CP]: 2x Twin volkite culverin

Sanguinary Guard [17 PL, 160pts]

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine sword

. Sanguinary Guard: Angelus boltgun, Encarmine axe

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 180pts]: Jump Pack

. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [47 PL, 905pts, 13CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Commander Dante [9 PL, 165pts, 1CP]: 4. Heroic Bearing, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 240pts]: 3x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

++ Total: [130 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Played a "fun" game yesterday against admech.  Played open war cards instead of matched play. 

I took a more fun list and wanted to try a few different things, so it looked like:

phobos capt, icon of the angel, gift of foresight

phobos librarian, ghostweave cloak, boil blood/unleash rage

Heavy intercessors, assault

2x5 Incursors with mine

2x5 DC intercessors

2x5 Veteran intercessors, thunder hammer sgts

2x5 hellblasters, assault

3x3 suppressors

2x impulsors with icarus

Opponent was playing his usual list, about 30 skitarii vanguard/rangers in blobs, 5x plasma tank robot guys, 4 melee chicken walkers, 3 onager tanks, 1 shooty flyer, 6x horse guys, 10x rust stalkers, 4 characters.

We played with the new admech faq, and he runs ryza and likes to get into fights, it is silly because we basically have the same army rules as far as +1charge/+1 to wound.  The auto wound on 5+ is still really strong for his troop blobs, able to just grind things down even when in cover, and once again his mvp unit was a 10 man blob of rust stalkers, they get a stupid amount of attacks that hit at -4ap, has strat for extra hits, mortal wounds on 6s, they get 2+ save while they are running up the board then just sit in combat and tie my stuff down.  I really hate them.  He is getting a lot more comfortable with his army and the more games we play the more competitive it is getting, I think now I don't need to "go easy" on him, I probably need to step up my game to make it competitive against them. 

He isn't anywhere close to playing the tournament grinder type of admech list but I am glad the way he wants to play them is effective and not just me running over him by turn 3 every game anymore.  With buffs and doctrina and all the 47 other rules admech has for buffing things, he is just so effective, hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, +1 to wound in combat etc, the strats are still really strong but not quite as oppressive.  

As for my stuff, suppressors are still super swingy, they either do great work or do nothing.  I wish they had a rule that made them -1 to hit as flyers or something, they are just so fragile, but I love the movement options you get with them.  Veteran intercessors was something I just wanted to try, they came in from reserve for me and the amount of attacks was great but I wouldn't take them when actually being serious with a list.  

The board I built was all pretty open with a ton of light cover pipes all over the place, so it was definitely in favor of the admech troop gun blobs, It was fun to play something different than our usual, lots of big ruins.  Good to change it up a bit.  Also, played on a new 44x60 mat, and wow it feels small.  Opponent's deployment was 10 inches in on his whole long side, and it was basically completely full.  It definitely speeds up the action, and without much/any line of sight blocking the game was a full on brawl by turn 2.

This week for the 5th company, finishing a unit of Infiltrators, and getting some reinforcements in the form of 2x invictors, and 6x inceptors, will get them built and primed this week, the invictors at least will be quick to get painted and on the table.   I like the idea of something a bit stronger/more dangerous to sit upfield with the other vanguard units, 5 incursors just aren't that scary on a midfield objective.

https://imgur.com/a/2Dh0Upn  couple pics of the opening deployment.  Didn't do a good job taking pictures as the game went on this week.

Edited by 5thCompanyDaemonbanes

Very nice. How much is from the original kit?

Heads, jump packs and arms. The chests are the old stand alone BA torsos that they discontinued that I managed to buy before they left the store :dry.:.

Those torsos don't look like the fw kit - the chest armour has differentdecoration and the wierd stretched torso cabling isn't very visible, are they from the generic ba upgrade torsos though?

Legion BA torsos from before they were dropped from the store. I believe I got them like 2 months before they got rid of them so right under the wire.

So, about time i contributed a bit more on this rather than just random typing... Finally got some more marines undercoated and this is this evenings progress. 2 hrs to get the block colours in, so next session will be touch-ups, shading and maybe a bit of detailing. At least there wont be too much edge highlighting since almost every edge is gold anyway!

gallery_19254_1203_41701.jpg

Here you go! Plasma inceptors and VanVets went into reserves every game and provided a huge T2 swing, in conjunction with most of my charges happening then.

++ Vanguard Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [83 PL, 1,095pts, -5CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-3CP]

+ HQ +

Sanguinary Priest [7 PL, 155pts, -1CP]: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt pistol, Chapter Command: Chief Apothecary, Icon of The Angel, Jump Pack, Selfless Healer, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter

+ Elites +

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 150pts, -1CP]: 2x Twin volkite culverin

Vanguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 180pts]: Jump Pack

. Vanguard Veteran Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Storm shield

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels) [47 PL, 905pts, 13CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Detachment Command Cost

+ HQ +

Commander Dante [9 PL, 165pts, 1CP]: 4. Heroic Bearing, Warlord

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

. 4x Infiltrator: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine

. Infiltrator Sergeant

+ Elites +

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Icarus Rocket Pod, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

Redemptor Dreadnought [9 PL, 185pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [14 PL, 240pts]: 3x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator x2

++ Total: [130 PL, 8CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Nice, looks really balanced with some good shooting and close combat options. Redemptor dreads seem really good at the moment. I run one with my Imperial Fists and he always does work if he survives the first round of shooting. Two must be terrifying to play against.

At the 1500 point of the escalation campaign, had a match against salamanders. He had lots of gravis and armor save buffs but as some old Terran guy said: quantity [of chainsword attacks] has a quality all of its own!

My squad of 10 death company intercessors set the tone (at the cost of a ton of cp). 6” pre game move. I was going second, so they popped a 5+ fnp to emerge virtually unscathed from a hail of bolt fire. On my turn, they charged a 5 strong heavy intercessor unit and destroyed it and consolidated into another unit. On his next turn he charged them with his redemptor and heavy captain but with the resilience of their transhuman physiology 2 of them survived to do 7w back to the redemptor. (And one of them, the hammernator, survived morale!)

The Sallamanders conceded at the end of t2, after my follow up wave of assault intercessors, sanguiniary guard, Dante and beatstick chaplain made it in and he realized there was no way to hold more than 1 of the 4 objectives, nor to kill enough of mine to change the dynamics.

My mvp:

1113787_sm-.jpeg

Thought putting this here was probably the best idea. not really a BA today thought.

I'm looking at the BA secondary's and one gives us points for destroying an enemy unit when we come out of deep strike. This has me thinking about the Sanguinor and wondering if any one had bashed up one that looks like a Primaris. I'll do some digging around as well but thought asking here would help burn the candle from both ends. 
Any ideas as to which bitz I might need would also be helpful. 

First game of 2021 in the books. Hosted a 40k night at the LGS. 3 people showed up, 1 to play 2 to hang out.

Lost tremendously but it was the point as i havent played in over a year and i faced off against someone who had little 9th Ed experience. Fun was had and people may return. Win-win.

I'm looking at the BA secondary's and one gives us points for destroying an enemy unit when we come out of deep strike. This has me thinking about the Sanguinor and wondering if any one had bashed up one that looks like a Primaris. I'll do some digging around as well but thought asking here would help burn the candle from both ends. 

I haven't seen a Primarised Sanguinor but I am not convinced that assaulting out of Reserve is the best way to achieve this Objective.

A unit of Plasma Inceptors dropping in an using Descent of Angels to hit on a 2+ when shooting can do a huge amount of damage. I feel Descent of Angels is slightly wasted on a melee unit as it is entirely dependent on a good charge roll. Stacking Icon of the Angel and Canticle of Hate is somewhat reliable but a failure to chant or charge can still see you fall short. At least with a shooty jump unit, you will at least get to fire.

This brings me to the other problem with the Death from Above secondary. You can only score it once per turn, it is normally only 2Vps per turn unless your opponent gets careless and exposes Character. To get any kind of respectable score from this secondary, you need to put a lot of your army in reserve and you really need a Drop Pod to bring in Reserves on T1. Similarly, you will need to hold onto 1 unit until T5, even though you may need it sooner.

Granted we have UWOF and Guerrilla Tactics to put units back in Reserves but those cost CPs. I just think that trying to achieve Death From Above requires you to contort your entire army around one secondary that is almost impossible to score max points from. I would far rather take Oaths of Moment as my No Mercy, No Respite secondary Objective as it is much easier to score, much easier to max and can normally be achieved in addition to fighting the enemy.

Got my ass handed to me recently in a friendly 1500pts game against Crimson Fists. I took a fun list with Stormraven, DC Dread, 6 Termies, 3 BG, 3 plasmaceptors, SP, JP Libby and 2 troop choices. Wanted to make a surprise choice.
In short - Everything that could have gone wrong with the Stormraven, did go wrong :biggrin.:
- I went second, which saw the poor flyer went down to 6 wounds. I guess I should be happy it survived at all.
- Libby failed to cast Shield on the Stormraven despite CP re-roll, which meant it was practically dead

- it then proceeded to fail to do ANYTHING with its shooting despite using the Machine Spirit strat and a CP re-roll
- then it was shot down (obviously), which cost me 2 teminators that died during disembark

- then it blew up, which I couldn't re-roll as I was already out of CPs at that time (!!!) and (surprise, surprise) I rolled a 6 on the mortal wounds dealt, which cost me 2 BG
:teehee:

The bastard practically cost me the game in all the ways possible - points sink, CP sink, character support sink (the whole point of Libby was to cast shield on him), tactical errors (my moves got dictated and depended on what the Raven did or did not), you name it.
Another "fun" moment was a unit of Infiltrators dying to a man after suffering 3 casualties. Yes, did had the Helix gauntlet and I did re-rolled the LD-test.... 

From there it was an up-hill struggle to do anything and I focused mostly on just having fun with the game.

What I took out of the game apart from my bad usage of the Raven:  
- Terminators and BG are still awesome with tanking and sometimes they just refuse to die and nobody can do anything about it
- it's delightful to see the horror on your opponents face when your last 2 LC-terminators wade into his backfield units in Assault doctrine. Same goes for the DC dread
- Smokescreen and Transhuman combo is great 

Edited by Majkhel

I haven't seen a Primarised Sanguinor but I am not convinced that assaulting out of Reserve is the best way to achieve this Objective.

A unit of Plasma Inceptors dropping in an using Descent of Angels to hit on a 2+ when shooting can do a huge amount of damage. I feel Descent of Angels is slightly wasted on a melee unit as it is entirely dependent on a good charge roll. Stacking Icon of the Angel and Canticle of Hate is somewhat reliable but a failure to chant or charge can still see you fall short. At least with a shooty jump unit, you will at least get to fire.

This brings me to the other problem with the Death from Above secondary. You can only score it once per turn, it is normally only 2Vps per turn unless your opponent gets careless and exposes Character. To get any kind of respectable score from this secondary, you need to put a lot of your army in reserve and you really need a Drop Pod to bring in Reserves on T1. Similarly, you will need to hold onto 1 unit until T5, even though you may need it sooner.

Granted we have UWOF and Guerrilla Tactics to put units back in Reserves but those cost CPs. I just think that trying to achieve Death From Above requires you to contort your entire army around one secondary that is almost impossible to score max points from. I would far rather take Oaths of Moment as my No Mercy, No Respite secondary Objective as it is much easier to score, much easier to max and can normally be achieved in addition to fighting the enemy.

I was going to drop a like but I spent them all yesterday.

Thankyou for the input and thoughts on that. The big reason I was looking at the Sanguinor was for a possible first turn score, from off the table with a bait units, that I hoped would be charged.  Playing, essentially, Pure Primaris I don't give myself access to drop pods. Yes the Sanguinor does brake that rule but it's only 1 model. I do have a lot of drop posts, like 9 of them or there abouts. I'm starting to consider Sanguanary guard and the Sangunior because there are dedicated BA chapter themed units. But.. where will it end! MADNESS!

My latest list is a fast attack themed list and I've included Reivers to drop on for Gruella tactics and plasma Inceptors as well. 

One of a few ideas for lists that seem like they may be good but haven't tried yet. 

I'll read up on these other secondary objectives you recommended. 

I think you don't need to hold back a unit till turn 5, because the unit don't need to be deployed in the reserve phase of that turn. So any unit arriving turn 2 can still achieve the 2 VPs even in turn 5. Aren't any units destroyed that hasn't been deployed turn 3 anyway?

Edited by Rhavien

I think you don't need to hold back a unit till turn 5, because the unit don't need to be deployed in the reserve phase of that turn. So any unit arriving turn 2 can still achieve the 2 VPs even in turn 5. Aren't any units destroyed that hasn't been deployed turn 3 anyway?

You are right! I must have misread it.

That does make it better although it is still pretty hard to score highly and you will need a Drop Pod to max it with any kind of reliability (unless you have something that can come in your DZ T1 nd still take out an enemy unit).

Edited by Karhedron