Depends on what you already have I guess.
- BGVets are good, but a 3-man squad is a bare minimum and honestly, if you want to take them, I'd either take 2x3 or 1x5. On the other hand multi-part kit is stuffed full with nice bits.
- Assault Intercessors are solid and cheap. Incursors and Infiltrators are usually more useful, but not as cheap. 
- Heavy Intercessors are fun to build and paint, but a bit pricey in games. If you want Gravis and it's durability, then Eradicators and Inceptors are the first choice. Still great models and with lots of bits.
- Storm Speeder is a great kit to build but underwhelming and costly in games. 2+ BS version is cool but will wither and die if you don't go first. Might be considered as a 'future investment' for when GW corrects their points/rules... oh wait... Reivers ....:teehee: 
- Intercessors and Captain are just that - Intercessors and Captain. Not bad but not great either. If you don't have them already, why not?

If you want any of the useful units from this box (BGVets and Assault Intercessors), I'd look for cheaper second-hand models from Indomitus box. Personal feeling: ETB Assault intercessors models have better poses and ETB BGVets are better proportioned :tongue.:

Edited by Majkhel

Currently still trying to resist urges to do an eldar army, made some progress on basing models, just have around 25 remaining to sort bases to a basic level for (painted and washed and drybrushed but not further detailed or weathered).

Then theres a bunch more to do after that.

I guess I'm looking at it as a death company bundle, with a couple additions to a core. I don't stress too much about points. I have all my teeth pieces if I want to play more competitive lists by splashing in Firstborn that don't have primaris alternatives yet. Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Currently still trying to resist urges to do an eldar army, made some progress on basing models, just have around 25 remaining to sort bases to a basic level for (painted and washed and drybrushed but not further detailed or weathered).

I've never based anything and lately I've been really thinking that I need to start... anyone got any suggestions or tutorial links or something?

I've never based anything and lately I've been really thinking that I need to start... anyone got any suggestions or tutorial links or something?

Texture paints are the easiest least work, flock is a tried and true option as is gravel. It all depends on what type of scenery you want.

I'm not too picky on what, though I think desert bases would be the most thematically appropriate in reference to the rad deserts of Baal.

If you're wanting to do red sand, there are a few good texture paints out there. What I do is a combination of agrallean earth texture paint with granite and flock, then I bring the colors together.

Some people super glue flat cork and PVA glue watered down to spread easier for flocking or sand, and then bring the colors together. Since your models are already painted I would recommend using texture paints, or flock. Several videos are out there. I would recommend beginner level basing more so than advanced etc. Mainly because intermediate to advance basing requires a lot of investment.

The Citadel Colour App from GW had a load of schemes for bases on there - that's where I'd start. The texture paints are really easy to use and get good results fast. 

The Citadel Colour App from GW had a load of schemes for bases on there - that's where I'd start. The texture paints are really easy to use and get good results fast.
I just downloaded the app, thanks for the suggestion! I think I'm going to go with Wasteland. My 'red' is kind of on the darker side so a lighter base would probably make them 'pop' a bit more. Edited by Paladin777

Yea man, the wasteland looks really nice - the yellowish colour to it will really make the red on your marines stand out - consider painting the whole base dryad bark before putting the agrellan badland on - you'll see the base colour and texture through the cracks, and the sheer black of the base might look out of place. For bonus effort, you can use some dead tufts - but maybe not for Baal! You can always add skulls to the base, then paint around them with the texture paint and it'll look like they've been buried.

Yea man, the wasteland looks really nice - the yellowish colour to it will really make the red on your marines stand out - consider painting the whole base dryad bark before putting the agrellan badland on - you'll see the base colour and texture through the cracks, and the sheer black of the base might look out of place. For bonus effort, you can use some dead tufts - but maybe not for Baal! You can always add skulls to the base, then paint around them with the texture paint and it'll look like they've been buried.

Echoing what Xen said. I fo this on some of my bases. Just gotta make sure the skulls pop with just enough contrast to the lighter browns.

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I've got enough Chaos bits to throw some skulls on too!

I'm not too picky on what, though I think desert bases would be the most thematically appropriate in reference to the rad deserts of Baal.

If you want sand-ish base and already have minis glued to the bases, I would go with adding some structure paste on the base in thin layers to avoid marking the minis' boots. Where you have some space, you can always add more creating something akin to shifting sands. Once you get comfortable with that, there is no limit as to what you can add to the base - skulls, pieces of equipment (or enemies), bits of sprue, occasional tufts (colours can be pretty wild here), small pieces of roots (they make for excellent dry-out branches or vegetation), you name it.

I would look at the Vallejo texture pastes - they are usually more fine than GW's and definitely more cost-efficient. They come in larger pots too. Look for a suitable grain size more than their colours as you can always mix paint with them freely (same goes for Citadel textures obviously).

Edited by Majkhel

IMG-20220109-212120.jpg

I managed to put together my kitbashed Vanguard veterans. Like many others I also prefer the proportions of Primaris Marines over firstborn. While they lack the heavy ornamentation of the original bodies I'm fine with it, as the jump packs, weapons and shoulder pads are all decorated. Maybe I'll give them some alternative heads too. The arms are magnetized, because I already fear that they won't be good anymore till I manage to get paint on them :)

My first squad of 2022 completed!

3rd company, squad 4: five intercessors.

Sergeant is armed with a power sword, and one of the other members has a grenade launcher!

Squad three is almost done too. I just need to add the accents on the guns and the company heraldry on the right pauldron.

As a treat for finishing squad 4, I'm going to start putting together my tartaros termies. I've had my eye on a squad of these guys since I went on hiatus when covid started. I can't remember when I was this excited to work on specific models like this!!

As a side note, I've been debating on who to put the grenade harness on. I'm leaning toward the sergeant (who's also getting the plasma blaster), but I'm also taking a RAC guy too, and he would be a good candidate too. I'm open to recommendations.

Edit: I put the grenade harness on sarge.

Edited by Paladin777

Looking forward to the new campaign missions.

I have some really fun ideas for carmine blades and how the new missions will set up. Hopefully soon I'll be in the works of a red scar purge or possibly some urban conquest adding in some of the new missions.

Having not played a game of 9th I think lower points values around 1k games is keen to learn.

Do they actually vote on Imperial worlds?

Broadly speaking, the Imperium doesn't care about the social or political structure of its worlds as long as they pay their tithes and implement Imperial laws to purge mutants, witches, heretics and Xenos.

With a million worlds to choose from, I am sure there are some that are democracies of some sort or another.