Primarchs and HQ slots

Castiel

Hey folks,

This may be a dumb question, but do you need to take an HQ choice if you are fielding a Primarch? It occurs to me that it says in the rules that you need at least an HQ and 2 Troops + whatever else you choose, but if you have a Primarch in the LoW slot do you still need the compulsory HQ?

Cheers,

Cas

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/288001-using-a-primarch/

The discussion has been brought up before and well, I think that I'd err on the side of RaW for a Primarch: They dont have anything saying they can be taken as a compulsory HQ instead of a non-primarch HQ instead, so, no they can't.

Yeah, since even though Primarchs are not HQ's they are automatically your Warlord (or supersede units with Jealous command).

You won't have a Master of Signal in an HQ slot telling his Primarch what to do just 'cuz hes a LoW. 

What? Horus the Warmaster would need a HQ unit to direct his forces in battle? You're kidding right?

Eh he usually has one or more of the Mournival there with him.

Plus think of it this way, Primarchs technically are joining a certain company that already has a command leader.

What? Horus the Warmaster would need a HQ unit to direct his forces in battle? You're kidding right?

Eh he usually has one or more of the Mournival there with him.

Plus think of it this way, Primarchs technically are joining a certain company that already has a command leader.

Yeah, that makes sense. He just kind of takes over from whoever is in command.

Archived