Next book: what to expect beyond new stuff

caprera

As we are approaching the "Conquest" book I was wondering about some of the anticipations.

Apart from Solax auxilia and such, I see that some Legions are once again present in the list. I read this will represent for instance, how in particular Horus' legion evolved and changed during this period. If this is true for the Legions present in this book shall we expect the same treatment for the others ?

I was wondering for example if this will be applied to the main legion army list. I am currently struggling through my choices (XIX & XX) to find out I want t o field and even what I want to represent sometimes... If some changes are to be expected I could wait before increasing the weekly braindamage increase in front of Battlescribe :D

Afaik apart from Terran Forces, Solar Auxilia IS the Imperial army at the time. I guess before being unified into the IG was a collection single-picked planetary forces assisting Legions. Anybody knows precisely ?

I would like to see evolving allie charts, possible campaign linked.

To represent the strengthening and weakening of bonds between the legions.

At the moment my perfect III are battle brothers with the iron tenth. Know I know they aren't as bright as others, but surely they wouldn't be friends with the legion that downsized their primarch.

I would love to see five allie charts

Late crusade

Early heresy

Mid heresy

Late heresy

The scouring

Tournament organisers can just say which era the tournament is in and friends can talk to each other.

Well, the book is rumored / confirmed? to have a Character Creator for us to make our own personal IC's that can work with any Legion released or yet-to-be.

Pretty sure that at the FW Weekender at the start of the year, it was stated to be in the book during one of the panels.

Well, I remember someone stating as much. It's been a while....

Why is a set of rules needed to create ICs?  We have the massive amount of options for the Praetor and Centurions...what more options do we need?  I would be really disappointed if they wasted design time on something like this.

Maybe they thought 4/5 characters per book are not gonna be enough given the sheer size and diversity of the Legions.

Surely they have wasted little time on it, because I'm sure it's something they had around for years now. I've lost count of threads where people was building their own character comparing points and equipment with the official ones. They surely thought about it way before the HH books.

Afaik apart from Terran Forces, Solar Auxilia IS the Imperial army at the time. I guess before being unified into the IG was a collection single-picked planetary forces assisting Legions. Anybody knows precisely ?

If I recall correctly, the Solar Auxilia are a regiment of the Imperial Army that hails from either the Sol System or Segmentum Solar. I highly doubt they are The Imperial Army, but more likely a "localised" representation of them; in the same way the Necromunda 8th are not The Imperial Guard, but a regiment that originated from Araneus Prime Necromunda.

That being said, I'm not sure whether the army list that will accompany Conquest will represent the Solar Auxilia or the Imperial Army as a whole.

Of course they have a system for creating Named Characters, but why would they release that formula to the masses?  A system to create ICs would do more damage to balance for a small increase in player experience.  It would be near impossible to balance.  The only thing missing from current HQ building would be a list of special rules to add...this is just a massive can of worms this I would prefer not be included in a near perfect system.

Think about it, the same options would need to cost different amounts for some Legions, base loadout (PA, TDA, etc), or other chosen options.  Then you get into a timing issue that will flood forums.  This would make the system cumbersome.  And in this day and age, players would just min/max it and then those would be the only builds really played.  GW did away with the creators years ago and for good reason. 

It would also hurt on general acceptance, we are finally getting close to full inclusion in completive games (at least here in Houston).  Adding this system would cause a step back.  And no, TOs just banning this one system is not really an answer.

Forgeworld who else. I mean, you are definitely right if FW will come out with a system simplicistic as that.

However we could be completely mistaken and what they have in mind is all about the equipment in the army list

Have you even looked at the options for Praetors and Centurions? The only option missing is to give them a heavy weapon and special rules. So any real system would be taking a Praetor and adding a list of special rules. Which as I stated before would be impossible to balance over 18 Legions.

Putting EW on a generic TDA Praetor has (should) a different cost then on a generic PA Praetor, which would have a different cost depending on which Legion rules the Praetor is using. and that's just USRs. Add in a list of full special rules and you just compounded the issues.

What is worse is that we are still missing final rules for 6 Legions that unless accounted for could throw out any balance they manage to have from Conquest.

So I would hate if they wasted design time on something that I believe is not needed. The minimal gain is not worth the massive amounts of issues such a system would create. There is a very good but very fine balance in 30k, opening up the system to uncontrolled additions will ruin it.

your opinion, but i believe we don't need 100% balance for a fluff-driven game ;) (and i.m.o. horus heresy games AREN'T tournament games, they are here to re-play campaigns, and for that, an i.c. builder would be very nice)

But the balance is what makes 30k so much better then 40k. And I'm not talking about 40k 'balance' the tournaments kids cry about. I'm talking about a well rounded system that interacts smoothly with all the other moving parts. With 12 Legions and freaking Primarchs there is still not an 'auto-win' Legion. Add in player chosen unlimited buffs to Praetors and you will see that real balance eroded. For what? So a player can min/max a praetor? How is that fluffy?

If you want to build a home brew character from the books, just work with your normal play group and decide on the points cost for whatever adds you want to your Praetor. You don't need a FW approved system for that.

Well, unless they put some sort of a limit of one special rule and/or USRs then how much you want spend in a single HQ. With no limits one could easily build a mini Primarch. And I discussing the need for a system in the first place. There are much more needed rules then a character builder.

Iron Hands are getting yet more love? Hot damn. I hope the Morlocks'll end up appearing. Realistically I'm expecting some different rules for the stragglers that survived the initial Dropsite Massacre.

Archived