Making Chaos Spawn

Sheesh Mode

Hi all! I am considering the creation of eight chaos spawn, but at the moment have come short of good ideas. I have considered rat-ogre bodies with pieces of tyranids for the heads or jaws, or else create bits from Dark Eldar grotesques. However, instead of wandering in the dark it would be best to hear from the other Chaos Lords on the forum. 

What have you done to create your Spawn?

None made yet but I'll be de-boning and cleaning up some Crypt Ghouls and making Slaanesh spawn with them. Two or three to a spawn, bodies entwined and merged in various positions.

I think a big question is to which God -if any- will yours be dedicated?

They will be dedicated to Nurgle, however this is more for ability than anything else. I feel they already adequately represent Khorne as they come with his ability: rage. It seems counter intuitive to equip the models with half of a mark. 

med_gallery_29004_9975_10099.jpg

This is wip of my first Slaanesh Spawn. Parts from various kits from Dark Eldar Talos, Chaos Spawn, few different Tyranids, VC Vahgest, fantasy horse tail. Still have some details to add from the Possessed kit and then some green stuff work too.

Basically trying to put strange fleshy bits together is odd ways. Tempting to go further with another one.

I found an old crappy pic of one of my spawns.

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/2425/DDyQOe.jpg

I thought I had pictures of them painted but I can't find them right now... :P

Here are mine, made from Crypt Horrors and Minotaur bitz:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/7/3/512686-Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chaos%20Spawn%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Forsaken%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Warhammer%2040%2C000.JPG

They were converted to look like devolved World Eaters Astartes.

For a more Nurgl-y vibe, you could transform the Crypt Horrors into big Plaguebearers, as GuitaRasmus has done for his own Nurglite spawn.

@ Excessus: That's a very cool werewolf spawn right there! Great job! smile.png

BTW, what base size should Spawn be built on?

The GW site doesn't mention what size comes in the Spawn box.

40mm bases

@Kraut: Thanks man, yours as well. Lovely spawns!

Thanks, Excessus. I think I have a few lying about.

How do we justify giving spawn weapons when they are mutating predator forms?

I can think of three ways:

1. Your spawn aren't, in your army fluff, actual chaos spawn but rather something analogous with the same rules but dexterous enough to wield (melee) weapons.

2. They wield/are hopelessly merged with the ranged weapons they bore before spawnhood, yet now lack the intellect to use them.

3. They wield/are hopelessly merged with the melee weapons they bore before spawnhood and either still possess the intellect to use them or they simply flail about madly with what they still grasp.

It's up to you to make it work ;)

This is true. I have quite a few bits left over from my days as a mage-knight player. I am certain I can cut some of them apart to create a shambling multi-headed abomination that disturbs those who see it. In my opinion spawn are meant to be unnerving, purposefully so, to the point that a person who sees them experiences even a sleight sense of anxiety. 

The creatures from Kingdom Death come to mind. 

I think it basically comes down to your personal fluff: I didn't want my spawn to be the usual creepy-crawlies, so I designed them around the idea of World Eaters that had devolved so much physically and mentally that they are little more than bloodthirsty beasts. But even then, the gladiatorial fighting style is so ingrained in them that they occasionally still wield the crude (yet effective) weapons of the fighting pits. They also lack all the tentacles and extra limbs, as you can see -- but all of this was merely an aesthetic choice that need not have any consequences for the actual rules. As far as I am concerned, as long as the base size is right, anything can become a chaos spawn, as long as it fits the overall look and feel of the army (for instance, the Spirit Host from the recent WFB undead release would make for a very interesting kind of spawn in a Thousand Sons army, if you ask me...).

Well, the mutated beyond reason doesn't specify anything really.

Result 1-2: 4+ save. This can be the spawn parrying or dodging, or just having armoured pieces in the way of that strike.

Result 3-4: 2d6 choose best attack dice. This can be the spawn unleashing a flurry of attacks.

Result 5-6: poisoned. This can be very accurate strikes, or that the spawn coated a weapon with poison, or anything...

Your own imagination is the limit...as it often is with chaos... :)

There is a spawn out there who is also a Daemon Prince.

I also remember Slaaneshi Chaos Spawn in Age of Reckoning capable of both full thought and speech, really about anything is possible.

I have made a few in the past trying to make them fit in with my force. My Favorite one I made was using an Obliterator, marine bits and greenstuff.

I'd probably use Mutilator kits now as they would fit better. First I cut down the legs to the knee to lower the model and then green stuffed a lot more fused flesh making the Obliterator have a more orb like shape. Finally I added a marine head and torso with a reaching hand one one side and then covered in water effect so it appears to be in the flesh. Shame I never took pictures of the Nurgle infected fiend.

Hope that helps to inspire

Archived