Well, I took the dive and started my Emperor's Children army. To start it off I got Eidolon and two max units of Kakophoni since I reeeeally like the way they behave. This is going to be a full blown traitor army. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should start next? I primarily plan on running the 3rd company elite. I understand that 8th might change some things, but I am curious to your guys' input.

Why not buy Eidalon some friends?

Fifteen Assault Marines in MKIV Armour.

Look ace and kick ass.

Oh, and welcome to perfection, brother. :cool.:

Oh wow I completely forgot about assault squads!  In my local meta I don't think I have seen them fielded EVER in 30k or 40k for that matter.  I think I can get a hold of some Mk IV marines and use some Maxmini jump packs since FW doesn't sell them separately.  

probably not very competitive at 2000pts, but i think it could be fun: eidolon & command with jump packs, 15 assault with 3 powerswords, shriekers and combat shields, 2x Kakaphonie, 2x Cortus, 3x apothecary. is what i am working towards.

This sounds like a perfect "fallen" EC list to me.

I'm currently putting together a loyalist Orbital Assault list

Well, I took the dive and started my Emperor's Children army. To start it off I got Eidolon and two max units of Kakophoni since I reeeeally like the way they behave. This is going to be a full blown traitor army. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should start next? I primarily plan on running the 3rd company elite. I understand that 8th might change some things, but I am curious to your guys' input.

Why not buy Eidalon some friends?

Fifteen Assault Marines in MKIV Armour.

Look ace and kick ass.

Oh, and welcome to perfection, brother. B)

Oh wow I completely forgot about assault squads!  In my local meta I don't think I have seen them fielded EVER in 30k or 40k for that matter.  I think I can get a hold of some Mk IV marines and use some Maxmini jump packs since FW doesn't sell them separately.

probably not very competitive at 2000pts, but i think it could be fun: eidolon & command with jump packs, 15 assault with 3 powerswords, shriekers and combat shields, 2x Kakaphonie, 2x Cortus, 3x apothecary. is what i am working towards.

This sounds like a perfect "fallen" EC list to me.

I'm currently putting together a loyalist Orbital Assault list

I play these, have to say that is my loadout, been using eidolon in assault squad for couple, years now, if they make it great, he wrecks face with his hammer.

Give you an example, jumped up and smashed 4 wounds off a knight lancer, killed it, str d the squad, saves invuln along with the sarge and combat shield, goes on to smash a Mortis temptor and finish off a sicaran. Totally worth the points.

Kakophoni need those medics.

Cortus with chainfists. Choose whether to give them grav fists or not. Has helped to strip out a spartan so I can eat the insides.

Is the consensus here that using Fulgrim you can just pick which sword he uses?

That doesn't agre with my reading of the rules. I don't see how you can have Fulgrim wielding Fireblade in an army including Kakophoni.

Fluffwise it makes no sense at all, yea

Read Angel Exterminatus. There's certainly Kakophoni (Marius himself)

Fulgrim carries around Fireblade in this book and he used it in a short story to

detach Eidolon's head from his body. 

Fluffwise, it makes a LOT more sense than

a DAEMON sword that possessed his body and he had to become a rip-off of Dorian Gray. 

I always use Fireblade as I abhor the Daemon, it is imperfect and it's so much better in the game it's painful.

Edited by GorgeousGoat

Read Angel Exterminatus. There's certainly Kakophoni (Marius himself)

Fulgrim carries around Fireblade in this book and he used it in a short story to

detach Eidolon's head from his body.

Fluffwise, it makes a LOT more sense than

a DAEMON sword that possessed his body and he had to become a rip-off of Dorian Gray.

I always use Fireblade as I abhor the Daemon, it is imperfect and it's so much better in the game it's painful.

Wait.

Didn't had Manus had that sword?

Totally agree in the Daemon part.

What a stupid story.

Edited by Gorgoff

Ferrus had Fireblade (a golden bladed sword) when he fought Fulgrim. Fulgrim used hammer-time. 

Fulgrim won

. If we keep the logic that the "Golden Bladed Sword" wasn't destroyed as neither was Forgebreaker.... 

If we accept that Angel Exterminatus and its now canon happens after ISSTVAN V and the Great Crusade..

Please see some extracts from Angel Exterminatus by Graham McNeil.

If people say the fluff he can't use Fireblade, quote these:

Fulgrim decapitated Eidolon with Fireblade " On the far side of the shadowed laboratory, a severed head sat atop a crown of surgical spikes, tube feeds, blood pumps, electro-cortical stimulators and coolant coils that kept the brain within from death. Head and body belonged together, but had been shorn by a single blow from Fulgrim’s goldenbladed sword." 

"Fulgrim was dressed more like the brother he had last seen on Isstvan V, in his purple battle armour, its subtle shades worked through the deepening hues of each plate. A fur-trimmed cloak hung asymmetrically from his shoulders and the black leather-wrapped handle of his golden sword – the selfsame blade Ferrus had crafted in the Terrawatt forges of Mount Narodnya – hung at his hip."

"Fulgrim shook his head and a gleam of golden fire appeared in his hand, the sword Ferrus Manus had crafted for him so long ago. ‘It’s mine!’screamed Fulgrim, and rammed the blade into Perturabo’s stomach, tearing it up through his sternum and into his chest."

Edited by Caillum
Please don't link to 4plebs

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone running Maru Skara or is it all that 3rd company business?

I don't play EC, nur I quite like that RoW.

Any ideas how to pull of first turn charges with that? :wink:

Yeah - I managed it in a few games. 

RAW - your units get +1 movement and charge moves on the first turn, and if your dawn of war or search and destroy maps:

Spartan with Eidolon & Unit in moves 7" - as it says you get +1 movement. It then disembarks infantry 7". You're then 10" away from enemy. With Eidolon WT and the Maru Skara +1 to charges. You have a 8" charge distance on Dawn of War. 

Search & Destroy - you can be even closer as you're only 18" away from the start of the game potentially :-)

• 1 year later...

Been a while since we had any new tactics.

So with our palatines essentially becoming useful now, how would you kit them out, and how many would you take?

It really makes us a more useful combat orientated legion once again, I would like 2 units, one in a termite with eidolon and apothecary perhaps, and another in a dreadclaw ideally lining up the next phase to charge.

Sprinkle some terminators for CC with a character or the Phoenician and you are away.

The rest of the army would comprise of kakophoni and other shooting things to pin them in place. Once softened the swordsmasters swoop in and decapitate them.

Any thoughts on destroyers too? Or anything in the FAQ? I heard heralds got a buff but cannot see it myself.

I guess a cool thing you can do is concentrate the upgrades now.

Guys with spears get AA, guys without just keep regular PA.

As for Heralds - they got Implacable Advance, Fearless and the option for Terminator Armour - all really good perks!

Phoenix Terminators with Fearless, +1" to Charge, scoring and re-roll 1s to hit on the charge is really tasty. May backfire if you don't sweep though, being stuck grinding with essentially Power Swords, but thats where you charge ANOTHER unit in!

Edited by Charlo

As for Heralds - they got Implacable Advance, Fearless and the option for Terminator Armour - all really good perks!

Phoenix Terminators with Fearless, +1" to Charge, scoring and re-roll 1s to hit on the charge is really tasty. May backfire if you don't sweep though, being stuck grinding with essentially Power Swords, but thats where you charge ANOTHER unit in!

It's either all or nothing when it comes to the AA. So no concentrating of upgrades. 

I'd go for 5 spears and 5 power weapons. PW are only 2pts now so it seems a waste to keep the sabres. 

"Phoenix Terminators with Fearless, +1" to Charge, scoring and re-roll 1s to hit on the charge is really tasty. May backfire if you don't sweep though, being stuck grinding with essentially Power Swords, but thats where you charge ANOTHER unit in!" 

^^ what are you referring to here? Where do they get the +1" and reroll 1s?

Edited by MorgothNL

It's either all or nothing when it comes to the AA. So no concentrating of upgrades. 

I'd go for 5 spears and 5 power weapons. PW are only 2pts now so it seems a waste to keep the sabres. 

"Phoenix Terminators with Fearless, +1" to Charge, scoring and re-roll 1s to hit on the charge is really tasty. May backfire if you don't sweep though, being stuck grinding with essentially Power Swords, but thats where you charge ANOTHER unit in!" 

^^ what are you referring to here? Where do they get the +1" and reroll 1s?

Ah I missed the little note - a shame! Power swords are probably the default option then at 2pts. Maybe power lances if you want to be cool. I like the Charnables however for the odd cheeky rend.

The buffs are from the Herald, using the traitor banner :)

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow Phoenicians,

I'm fully rethinking and rebuilding my EC army and list. I have completed my Raven Guard and now that I'm revisiting the children, I want a very different army from what I was running before, and also be completely different from my RG. My RG are of course focused on infiltrating, using plasma, lascannons, melta and combination therefore to get things done, spreading all across the board and having no trouble winning the objective games.

My children used to be quite shooty too, but I want to 'fully' commit to the assault game now. My current list (without pts cost for now cause it's all about the idea and and I'm just looking for tips).

Unit 1

Champion (artificer, paragon blade, melta bombs, refractor field)

Eidolon

6 palatine (4 Spears, 2 charnabal, artificer, 1 melta bomb, sonic shriekers)

^^ all riding in a storm eagle with lascannons and melta

Unit 2

Fulgrim

7 Phoenix guard

Spartan (with the good stuff)

Unit 3

5 chain fist tartaros

Dreadclaw

So those are the dedicated cc units. With the chain fists focusing on popping armour, which fulgrim with his Phoenix guard really struggle against (and so do the palatine)

Then for troops I'll just have

2 units 10 tacticals in rhinos (artificer, Phoenix Spear, vex, melta bomb, extra cc weapons)

And because I really feel like the EC special units (Fulgrim, palatine, Phoenix guard and even a bit Eidolon) really struggle vs armour, I think of adding a lightning with kraken which Maru Skara would make come in T2 which should be on correct timing of fulgrim looking for combat.

So, what do you guys think? Any tips or suggestions on how to make a specialized and fluffy EC combat army? I'm struggling with anti armour options and I feel like there is such a point loss going into assault vehicles. Assault squads are something, but they tend to be quite meh in cc and putting melta bombs on them makes it very costly and at that point.. Why not just take a lightning..

I wish I could put some dreads with cc options in there, but can't find the points nor the means to get them into combat at T2-3. In a list without Fulgrim, there'd be a Levi or 2 contemptors with chainfist + shooty.

Edited by MorgothNL

• 5 weeks later...

No sweet sound marines in there?

I am also building the legion again, I think that having fulgrim and chainfist termies with chaplain and primus medic in a special k is the ultimate smash.

Once fulgrim is in he’s a dirvish with his sword (fireblade) plus his tactics help too.

Other units I like to use are quad launchers, kakophoni (love when they focus fire) and probably palatines with packs and arty armour, or in a transport with big swinger eidy.

I also like a deredeo to knock out air support or generally sunder ranks and dreds or rip into infantry.

Having played them from the very start at book 1, I like to weight up with an even weight of fire and tease them into my kakophoni units with apothecaries.

They usually take a turn (with stubborn) giving my assault troops time to counter attack or mess up their backfield lines.

A great EC force works best with the flexibility in your army, you can hammer them with shooting then whilst they are reeling from that finish them with swords!!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question for all you 3rd legion veterans. I’m playing around with a few Maru Skara lists, but I’m in two minds about how to interpret the rule regarding the necessary inclusion of a legion champion. Does the rule essentially mean you have to take two compulsory HQs?

I was hoping to include a herald and a champion, but the herald has the support rule, so I’m pretty sure I would need a third HQ choice.

Thanks

Cadmus

Champion can be compulsory HQ, it is not a support officer.

Yes but, in the context of the Maru Skara RoW, can he fulfill both compulsory requirements of a “compulsory HQ” and “compulsory champion”? I presume not?

Cadmus

Seeing as Erebus can count both as a Diabolist and Chaplain for the WB RoW requirements (per an FAQ iirc), then I don't see why not?

Champion can be compulsory HQ, it is not a support officer.

Yes but, in the context of the Maru Skara RoW, can he fulfill both compulsory requirements of a “compulsory HQ” and “compulsory champion”? I presume not?

Cadmus

Seeing as Erebus can count both as a Diabolist and Chaplain for the WB RoW requirements (per an FAQ iirc), then I don't see why not?

Just had a look at the book, it specifically calls out "a second compulsory HQ" so if you wan your herald you'll need:

-Champion

-Herald

-Other non-support officer Consul/ Preator/ Centurion

Even if you Bring Fulgrim, you'll need to bring 3HQs if you want the Herald, as you need that compulsory HQ.