Champion can be compulsory HQ, it is not a support officer.

Yes but, in the context of the Maru Skara RoW, can he fulfill both compulsory requirements of a “compulsory HQ” and “compulsory champion”? I presume not?

Cadmus

Seeing as Erebus can count both as a Diabolist and Chaplain for the WB RoW requirements (per an FAQ iirc), then I don't see why not?

Slips, I want that to be true, but my issue is with the wording:

“Detachments using this Rite of War must take a Legion Champion as a second Compulsory HQ choice”

Yes, precisely, Maru Skara needs a second compulsory HQ, which can obviously be the one unlocking the RoW (Praetor, Delegatus), or any other form of Consul that is not a Support Officer, but if going down the later route the third choice must then be the MotL (Herald most likely).

So, essentially, there's three ways for it to work (not counting bringing Fulgrim as a MotL):

A:  First HQ: Praetor (MotL)

Second HQ:  Legion Champion

B:  First HQ: Delegatus (MotL)

C:  First HQ:  Any Consul that is NOT a Support Officer (Chaplain, Forge Lord, Nullificator Primus, or even another Legion Champion, etc.)

Third HQ:  Herald (MotL)

So with that established, what are people’s views with regard to HQ choices for Maru Skara at 2000 points? I’m leaning towards option C as the herald gives you the charge distance bonus of Eidolon plus rerolls in combat.

Legion Herald - Power axe, artificer = 115

Legion Champion - paragon blade, combat shield, artificer, sonic shrieker, jump pack = 145

Legion centurion - Phoenix spear, artificer = 80

The theory would be the herald sits midfield with a large tactical squad and the centurion, whilst the champion moves up with some assault marines.

What’s everyone’s experience? Is Eidolon just too good not to include?

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Two Legion Champions & one Herald. Perfection at its finest.

Include the Herald with an otherwise non-scoring unit for maximum effect ... like Palatine Blades or even Destroyers. 

Great ... now I want to try that out for myself ... 

Two Legion Champions & one Herald. Perfection at its finest.

Include the Herald with an otherwise non-scoring unit for maximum effect ... like Palatine Blades or even Destroyers. 

Great ... now I want to try that out for myself ...

I had considered putting the herald in a missle launcher support squad, it would make them fearless and scoring. Providing a reasonable backfield scoring unit with interceptor. The only issue I see is the herald is not well positioned to provide his 12” buff.

Destroyers aren't a bad shout for a midfield unit with the herald, any other suggestions?

So, working on the destroyer premise, what do you think to this list:

Open blade -

X2 Legion champions, paragon blade, artificer armour, jump packs, sonic shriekers, combat shields.

Legion herald, artificer, power axe, sonic shrieker.

15 man assault squads, power weapons x3, artificer, Phoenix spear.

15 man assault squads, power weapons x2, artificer, Phoenix spear.

X10 man destroyer squad x2 Rad, phosphex, artificer, Phoenix spear, Melta bombs (could also put these the hidden blade)

Hidden blade,

X3 dual kheres cortus contemptors

Primaris lightning, x2 kraken Missiles, battle servitor control

I’m thinking of building a somewhat small 1500pt list, but am unsure of anti-tank options that would be a good choice and/or would fit with the fluff. I’m thinking of running two Predator Executioners but am unsure as I don’t really like the fit. I am also somewhat considering just relying on the Lascannons I have no the 3x Javelins. Any suggestions?

Here’s the list I have so far

1180pt Total

HQ (205pt)

Lord Commander Eidolon

-Jump Pack

Elites (180pt)

Apothecarion Detachment

3x Apothecaries

-Jump Packs

Troops (600pt)

3x Assault Squads

Sergeant w/

-Artificer Armor

-Phoenix Spear

Fast Attack (195pt)

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

3x Javelins

-Heavy Bolter

-Twin Linked Lascannon

Edited by WolfLogic

• 2 months later...

I made some use of the Maru Skaras outflank: 

playing a single (or maybe a squad) of attack bikes with Melta and let a Champion on bike with paragonblade and powerfist join them. Put them into outflank and enjoy a very threatening, fast unit. 

You can harm vehicles in Shooting and CC. Give the Champion a Jetbike and you can threaten Heavy Support Squads and Artillery stationed on the top floors of buildings. And the 4+ Jink with T5 is not that easy to kill. For around 250P a very good unit.

I played around with the Herald as well. Are we 100% positive, that his bubble doesnt work out of vehicles? and if yes: where can i find that?

You don't need a Jetbike to go to second floors because there are no floors in Age of Darkness. ;)

Of course there are! Arent there? One floor equals 3 inches. So if i want to charge a unit in the 2. floor, i need an extra 6".
Nope, nowhere you can find this.

Huh ? It counts as charging through difficult terrain, and thus gets the -2 modifer AND needs to clear the full charge distance of course, which is horizontal and vertical distance added should the target have the 'high gound'.

Thought so as well. And i think one floor was defined as 3", but could be wrong on that one. A jetbike should ignore the -2" for terrain and should ignore the vertical distance. Thus making it good for hunting units in the second or third floor.

Why would it ignore the -2? You only ignore that if you have love through cover.

Bikes and jetbikes arent slowed by Terrain, not even on the charge. They only test for dangerous terrain. (dont have my AoD Rulebook at hand, but the 7th Edition RB says so).

And regarding the distance I would argue that you charge in a straight line, instead of going under the Building and then up, thus making it a shorter distance.

The 3" rule for each Floor might be a house- or ETC-rule. Not entirely sure.

Nope, looked it up. 3" per floor.

Edited by Foudroyant Virus

Why would it ignore the -2? You only ignore that if you have love through cover.

be a house- or ETC-rule. Not entirely sure.

Nope, looked it up. 3" per floor.

Where have you found that?

@charlo: Ehehehehhe great pic :)

AoD Rulebook, page 25 'movement' and pages 47 & 48 'charge

Thanks, but on neither of these pages they state that a floor is always considered 3" away.

It's just an example. Oh, and on page 24 the floor is 6" away although it is the same model. :D

I guess most players treat one floor as 3" away from the next because it is simple, but that's a houserule. In my humble opinion FW should bring back specific rules for different levels in buildings and all that.

Whenever I see something in the rules which doesn't work properly it makes me sad that I couldn't get the job as a rulewritee for FW due to the fact I'm no novel writer. :(

I'd make 30k great again. ;)

@charlo: Ehehehehhe great pic :smile.:

AoD Rulebook, page 25 'movement' and pages 47 & 48 'charge

Thanks, but on neither of these pages they state that a floor is always considered 3" away.

It's just an example. Oh, and on page 24 the floor is 6" away although it is the same model. :biggrin.:

I guess most players treat one floor as 3" away from the next because it is simple, but that's a houserule. In my humble opinion FW should bring back specific rules for different levels in buildings and all that.

Whenever I see something in the rules which doesn't work properly it makes me sad that I couldn't get the job as a rulewritee for FW due to the fact I'm no novel writer. :sad.:

I'd make 30k great again. :wink:

Most of the GW ruins (especially the old versions) the floors are literally 3" away...!