Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Emperor's Children Tactica

Fulgrim Emperors Children Kakophoni Maru Skara Palantine Blades Phoenix Terminators Slaanesh 3rd Legion Horus Heresy

• Please log in to reply
1233 replies to this topic

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,814 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Is Champion not a support officer?

They are not.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts

Champion can be compulsory HQ, it is not a support officer.

Yes but, in the context of the Maru Skara RoW, can he fulfill both compulsory requirements of a “compulsory HQ” and “compulsory champion”? I presume not?
Cadmus
Seeing as Erebus can count both as a Diabolist and Chaplain for the WB RoW requirements (per an FAQ iirc), then I don't see why not?

Slips, I want that to be true, but my issue is with the wording:
“Detachments using this Rite of War must take a Legion Champion as a second Compulsory HQ choice”
  • Slips likes this

Alpha legion and Iron hands work in progress:
http://www.bolterand...legion-wip-log/

gallery_87021_11487_17911.png

Unknown Legionnaire

Unknown Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 664 posts
  • Faction: XXth Legion & Cult Allies

Yes, precisely, Maru Skara needs a second compulsory HQ, which can obviously be the one unlocking the RoW (Praetor, Delegatus), or any other form of Consul that is not a Support Officer, but if going down the later route the third choice must then be the MotL (Herald most likely).

So, essentially, there's three ways for it to work (not counting bringing Fulgrim as a MotL):

A:  First HQ: Praetor (MotL)

Second HQ:  Legion Champion

B:  First HQ: Delegatus (MotL)

C:  First HQ:  Any Consul that is NOT a Support Officer (Chaplain, Forge Lord, Nullificator Primus, or even another Legion Champion, etc.)

Third HQ:  Herald (MotL)

• Slips and Cadmus Tyro like this

Smile like Dynat when you're winning !

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts
So with that established, what are people’s views with regard to HQ choices for Maru Skara at 2000 points? I’m leaning towards option C as the herald gives you the charge distance bonus of Eidolon plus rerolls in combat.
Legion Herald - Power axe, artificer = 115
Legion Champion - paragon blade, combat shield, artificer, sonic shrieker, jump pack = 145
Legion centurion - Phoenix spear, artificer = 80

The theory would be the herald sits midfield with a large tactical squad and the centurion, whilst the champion moves up with some assault marines.

What’s everyone’s experience? Is Eidolon just too good not to include?

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro, 21 April 2019 - 09:15 PM.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,146 posts

I'd say go for a second Champion. It's very fluffy and a lot more useful than a Centurion.

You probably want the herald in a better place than a tactical squad to be honest.

• Cadmus Tyro likes this

Unknown Legionnaire

Unknown Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 664 posts

Two Legion Champions & one Herald. Perfection at its finest.

Include the Herald with an otherwise non-scoring unit for maximum effect ... like Palatine Blades or even Destroyers. 

Great ... now I want to try that out for myself ... 

• Cadmus Tyro likes this

Slips

Slips

++ ARCHIMAGIRUS RUDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,814 posts
  • Faction: V,VII,IX,XII,XV Legions

Also, if you have the points, just know that Legion Champions can now take Paragon Blades.

• Charlo and Cadmus Tyro like this

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

++Part of the ship...Part of the Crew++

+] Use the Report Button! [+

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts

Two Legion Champions & one Herald. Perfection at its finest.

Include the Herald with an otherwise non-scoring unit for maximum effect ... like Palatine Blades or even Destroyers. 

Great ... now I want to try that out for myself ...

I had considered putting the herald in a missle launcher support squad, it would make them fearless and scoring. Providing a reasonable backfield scoring unit with interceptor. The only issue I see is the herald is not well positioned to provide his 12” buff.

Destroyers aren't a bad shout for a midfield unit with the herald, any other suggestions?

Cadmus Tyro

Cadmus Tyro

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts
So, working on the destroyer premise, what do you think to this list:

Open blade -
X2 Legion champions, paragon blade, artificer armour, jump packs, sonic shriekers, combat shields.
Legion herald, artificer, power axe, sonic shrieker.
15 man assault squads, power weapons x3, artificer, Phoenix spear.
15 man assault squads, power weapons x2, artificer, Phoenix spear.
X10 man destroyer squad x2 Rad, phosphex, artificer, Phoenix spear, Melta bombs (could also put these the hidden blade)

Hidden blade,
X3 dual kheres cortus contemptors
Primaris lightning, x2 kraken Missiles, battle servitor control

Unknown Legionnaire

Unknown Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 664 posts

Let's see ... I'd add Apothecaries to your Assault Squads and get a nice assault transport (maybe a Phobos ?) for your Destroyers and the Herald, so they don't need to footslog it.

WolfLogic

WolfLogic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 37 posts

I’m thinking of building a somewhat small 1500pt list, but am unsure of anti-tank options that would be a good choice and/or would fit with the fluff. I’m thinking of running two Predator Executioners but am unsure as I don’t really like the fit. I am also somewhat considering just relying on the Lascannons I have no the 3x Javelins. Any suggestions?

Here’s the list I have so far

1180pt Total

HQ (205pt)

Lord Commander Eidolon

-Jump Pack

Elites (180pt)

Apothecarion Detachment

3x Apothecaries

-Jump Packs

Troops (600pt)

3x Assault Squads

Sergeant w/

-Artificer Armor

-Phoenix Spear

Fast Attack (195pt)

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

3x Javelins

-Heavy Bolter

-Twin Linked Lascannon

Edited by WolfLogic, 26 April 2019 - 04:57 AM.

Foudroyant Virus

Foudroyant Virus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

I made some use of the Maru Skaras outflank: 

playing a single (or maybe a squad) of attack bikes with Melta and let a Champion on bike with paragonblade and powerfist join them. Put them into outflank and enjoy a very threatening, fast unit. 

You can harm vehicles in Shooting and CC. Give the Champion a Jetbike and you can threaten Heavy Support Squads and Artillery stationed on the top floors of buildings. And the 4+ Jink with T5 is not that easy to kill. For around 250P a very good unit.

I played around with the Herald as well. Are we 100% positive, that his bubble doesnt work out of vehicles? and if yes: where can i find that?

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion
You don't need a Jetbike to go to second floors because there are no floors in Age of Darkness. ;)
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

Foudroyant Virus

Foudroyant Virus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

You don't need a Jetbike to go to second floors because there are no floors in Age of Darkness. ;)

Of course there are! Arent there? One floor equals 3 inches. So if i want to charge a unit in the 2. floor, i need an extra 6".

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts

Of course there are! Arent there? One floor equals 3 inches. So if i want to charge a unit in the 2. floor, i need an extra 6".
Nope, nowhere you can find this.
Bring back Psycho Dad!

Unknown Legionnaire

Unknown Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 664 posts

Huh ?  It counts as charging through difficult terrain, and thus gets the -2 modifer AND needs to clear the full charge distance of course, which is horizontal and vertical distance added should the target have the 'high gound'.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,146 posts

I think the confusion is arising from 8th ed and the fact that there are rules to prevent certain units charging the second + floor of ruins.

But thats 8th ed so BEGONE!

Foudroyant Virus

Foudroyant Virus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Huh ? It counts as charging through difficult terrain, and thus gets the -2 modifer AND needs to clear the full charge distance of course, which is horizontal and vertical distance added should the target have the 'high gound'.

Thought so as well. And i think one floor was defined as 3", but could be wrong on that one. A jetbike should ignore the -2" for terrain and should ignore the vertical distance. Thus making it good for hunting units in the second or third floor.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,146 posts
Why would it ignore the -2? You only ignore that if you have love through cover.

Foudroyant Virus

Foudroyant Virus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts

Why would it ignore the -2? You only ignore that if you have love through cover.

Bikes and jetbikes arent slowed by Terrain, not even on the charge. They only test for dangerous terrain. (dont have my AoD Rulebook at hand, but the 7th Edition RB says so).
And regarding the distance I would argue that you charge in a straight line, instead of going under the Building and then up, thus making it a shorter distance.
The 3" rule for each Floor might be a house- or ETC-rule. Not entirely sure.

Nope, looked it up. 3" per floor.

Edited by Foudroyant Virus, 13 July 2019 - 10:12 PM.

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts

be a house- or ETC-rule. Not entirely sure.

Nope, looked it up. 3" per floor.
Where have you found that?
Bring back Psycho Dad!

Unknown Legionnaire

Unknown Legionnaire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 664 posts

AoD Rulebook, page 25 'movement' and pages 47 & 48 'charge move'. 

Also ... 

... if you have love through cover.

... cutest typo ever. 

• Charlo likes this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,146 posts

Also ... 

... if you have love through cover.

... cutest typo ever. 

d4ksq6y-e70a2421-602a-436b-846a-a7b405ef

• Gorgoff likes this

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,931 posts
@charlo: Ehehehehhe great pic :)

AoD Rulebook, page 25 'movement' and pages 47 & 48 'charge

Thanks, but on neither of these pages they state that a floor is always considered 3" away.
It's just an example. Oh, and on page 24 the floor is 6" away although it is the same model. :D
I guess most players treat one floor as 3" away from the next because it is simple, but that's a houserule. In my humble opinion FW should bring back specific rules for different levels in buildings and all that.
Whenever I see something in the rules which doesn't work properly it makes me sad that I couldn't get the job as a rulewritee for FW due to the fact I'm no novel writer. :(
I'd make 30k great again. ;)
Bring back Psycho Dad!

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,146 posts

@charlo: Ehehehehhe great pic smile.png

AoD Rulebook, page 25 'movement' and pages 47 & 48 'charge

Thanks, but on neither of these pages they state that a floor is always considered 3" away.
It's just an example. Oh, and on page 24 the floor is 6" away although it is the same model. biggrin.png
I guess most players treat one floor as 3" away from the next because it is simple, but that's a houserule. In my humble opinion FW should bring back specific rules for different levels in buildings and all that.
Whenever I see something in the rules which doesn't work properly it makes me sad that I couldn't get the job as a rulewritee for FW due to the fact I'm no novel writer. sad.png
I'd make 30k great again. msn-wink.gif

Most of the GW ruins (especially the old versions) the floors are literally 3" away...!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fulgrim, Emperors Children, Kakophoni, Maru Skara, Palantine Blades, Phoenix Terminators, Slaanesh, 3rd Legion, Horus Heresy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users