Yupp, but not all of them.

Firestorm redoubt has parts which are only 2 " high and the Aquila Strongpoint and Shrine of the Aquila is higher. Not to meantion all the home build stuff. That's why you have to measure the distance OR just stick with the good ol' houserule.

Edited by Gorgoff

Thanks, but on neither of these pages they state that a floor is always considered 3" away.

That is, why I stated in my earlier post further up, that one needs to add the (unspecified) horizontal and vertical distance to determine charge range, deducting -2 if the unit in question does not have 'Move through cover'. 

Thanks, but on neither of these pages they state that a floor is always considered 3" away.

That is, why I stated in my earlier post further up, that one needs to add the (unspecified) horizontal and vertical distance to determine charge range, deducting -2 if the unit in question does not have 'Move through cover'.

Ah ok, then I missed that.

Thanks for the clearification. :)

And that is still not the case. Bikes and jetbikes arent slowed by terrain (i think jumppack units arent as well)

And that is still not the case. Bikes and jetbikes arent slowed by terrain (i think jumppack units arent as well)

Yes, it is. Read my posts. I was never, in any of them, referring to jetbikes (or specific units), but to the rules in general. 

• 2 weeks later...

i have come to the conclusion that divining blades jetbike praetors are solid choice almost a go to option, especially for EC ‘change my mind’

Puts Eidolon out of use though, in fact the blades put a lot of characters out of use in preference to the praetor with digital lasers and divining blade.

• 3 months later...

What's a good Rite of War for a new player?

... a wide question indeed, since that's totally subjective. A good RoW in terms of rules ? In terms of synergies ? In its capabilities to take Allies ?

Also, it entirely depends on the kind of army you want to play with your EC  -  do you like lightning fast jet-bikes all over the place ? Would you like to bring more tanks than in a usual list ? Do you prefer heavily armoured elite infantry / Terminators over normal power armoured troops ?

Those are all factors you can (but need not to, of course) figure in. Also, will they be traitor EC or loyalist ... etc.

The one advice I can give without you providing a bit more of a detail of the general idea your list should take, is to step very carefully when considering 'Pride of the Legion'. 

That particular RoW can quickly become a trap for the unwary or inexperienced, but it can also offer you great benefits.

Cheers,

• 5 months later...

Anybody played any 3rd company elite/mid-late heresy themed EC armies lately, and have any interesting lists or ideas to share?

About a year ago I played against forty noise marines in rhinos backed up by 30 lascannons.

It was about as fun to play against as you might think.

Anybody played any 3rd company elite/mid-late heresy themed EC armies lately, and have any interesting lists or ideas to share?

About a year ago I played against forty noise marines in rhinos backed up by 30 lascannons.

Honestly that sounds more funny than nasty - 30 lascannons! My goodness.

Honestly that sounds more funny than nasty - 30 lascannons! My goodness.

It's less funny on the recieving end aha!

• 2 weeks later...

Well jump packs are more or less a no-go in ZM based on the new rules PDF IIRC. Lots of dangerous terrain tests.

Otherwise, command squads are cool, but fall a touch flat compared to Palatine Blades. With their ability to take artificer and AP2 at high initiative, they pretty much outrank the command squad in all aspects except for not having the fearless granting banner.

One thing you can do with them that's unique is some premier power armour killers rocking swords/ claws/ combis to hit marines at I5 with high WS5 before they can strike back?

Command squads don't seem worth it unless it's a terminator squad or on some sort of bike.

You can only ever have a handful of normal guys, which doesnt add much redundancy.

Command squads on foot feel a bit like a relic from the early heresy days. I like the concept of an officer having a retinue but from a rules standpoint they don't score and the unit size limitation can be frustrating in certain situations.

You're probably better off taking more veterans instead, particularly in pride of the legion/chosen duty.

Ahh fair, will avoid them then, tried making a 1500pts list with models I have after a mate gave a load of unpainted tacticals he isn't going to be using so now have the base of my force, I'm thinking of trying this:

Zone mortalis Combatant force, Maru Skara

Preator with iron halo, master crafter Paragon blade, volkite charger, melta bombs and sonic shrieker 

Legion Champion in Tartaros Terminator armour with Paragon blade, combi bolter and sonic shrieker 

Legion contemptor with twin lascannon and plasma blaster

Legion Terminator squad: heavy flamer and chainfist, combi bolter and chainfist, combi bolter and lightning claw, combi bolter and lightening claw, combi bolter and phoenix spear on the sergeant

Seeker Squad

Tactical squad: 2 additional members, additional close combat weapons, Vexhilla, melta bombs, artificer armour and power fist on the Sergeant.

Tactical squad: Additional close combat weapons, Vexhila, melta bombs, artificer armour and phoenix spear on the sergeant.

Kakaphoni of the Emperor's children: one aditional chora.
Idea is for the champion or Preator to go with the terminators who with the seekers and contemptor will be the "hidden blade", though am worried there isn't enough anti tank.

The list looks pretty good, I'll give you a few suggestions based on my experience: (also it might be worth posting this in the army list section for additional feedback)

- try and find the points for digital lasers on your praetor

- TL lascannon is quite an expensive weapon option for a contemptor and you might not get many opportunities to fire it at heavily armoured targets, i would suggest changing this for a kheres assault cannon

- I'd swap the powerfist for a phoenix spear on the first tactical squad

- I would keep the tactical squads to 10 men, sometimes units larger than 10 can struggle in ZM due to the large footprint of the unit you may find that some of the models cannot contribute much

- kakophoni will struggle to make much impact as your opponent can keep out of line of sight, which means they have to move and snap fire, it might be worth changing them out for something like a box dreadnought with an inferno cannon

I hope that is helpful :) 

The list looks pretty good, I'll give you a few suggestions based on my experience: (also it might be worth posting this in the army list section for additional feedback)

- try and find the points for digital lasers on your praetor

- TL lascannon is quite an expensive weapon option for a contemptor and you might not get many opportunities to fire it at heavily armoured targets, i would suggest changing this for a kheres assault cannon

- I'd swap the powerfist for a phoenix spear on the first tactical squad

- I would keep the tactical squads to 10 men, sometimes units larger than 10 can struggle in ZM due to the large footprint of the unit you may find that some of the models cannot contribute much

- kakophoni will struggle to make much impact as your opponent can keep out of line of sight, which means they have to move and snap fire, it might be worth changing them out for something like a box dreadnought with an inferno cannon

I hope that is helpful :smile.:

Thanks it is.

I admit it's mainly self imposed on building the list to zone mortalis/centurion, just to try and save my wallet really, the main issue I'm finding is the limited amount of elites you can take,I'd love to take Palatines blades, but feel I need dreads to deal with enemy dreads.

Re tweaking the list, here is what I have come up with:

Pride of the legion

Preator with Iron halo, MC paragon blade, digital weapons, sonic shriekers, bolt pistol and melta bombs

Champion in Tartaros terminator armour with MC paragon blade, combi bolter and sonic shriekers

Contemptor talon: one with twin lascannon and melta gun close combat weapon (Contemptor I got second hand cheap and is stuck in this configeration)  one with twin linked volkite culverin and plasma blaster dreadnought close combat weapon (not got yet, not sure on weapon configuration.

Legion dreadnought with multi melta and melta gun dreadnought close combat weapon

Tartaros Terminator squad with two chainfists, two power fists,phoenix spear, heavy flamer and 4 combi bolters

Legion veteran tactical squad, 10 strong, 2 plasma guns, artificer armour and phoenix spear on the sergeant.

1345pts, not sure what to go for due to the limitation of the combatent force organisation chart, I'm thinking maybe a seeker squad just for more bodies or maybe a command squad to go with the preator as with combat shields and swords/charnable sabres they may be good in Zone Mortalis?