The return of Belthzar's Nightlords host

Psykic_scribe

After many decades lost in the Warp, Belthzar stirs again and rebuilds his host .....

I have neglected my Nightlords for some years now, but I now have some challenging painting projects in hand, starting with the Helbrute. I might have as small regret with the passing of possessed dreadnoughts from long back, but the variety, detail and sheer monstrosity of the Helbrute more than compensates.

gallery_23461_1861_272610.jpg

This shows the TL lascannon and claw with TL bolters, but by using the energy cells instead of most of the hoses, I have a full range of weapon swops available.

Woo! Looking good so far. Love the mini field Of bones.

Might I suggest a wash on your brutes skin? It'd give a good bit of depth, super simply.

Keep up the good work. Stoked to see what else you've got.

Nice to see a Brother return to the long war.

Got to love the striking look of Midnight Clad. I agree with Flint13 washes always add depth and bring out detail on a model for little effort.

I'd use blue ink wash on armour, flesh and armour wash on top.

But still great looking Helbrute I look forward to seeing more.

• 1 month later...

Starting with a confession that I have not yet returned to the Brute.

However, the assault from the warp and the skies has been addressed. I have just completed a Warp Talons squad and a new (old) metal pack of Raptors that brings the Bloody Hands up to a total of 27 comrades - either as five squads or merged across three squads of a lower number (de-duplicating on champions and special weapons for C:CSM compliance) - three generations of fast attack.

Starting with the Warp Talons:

gallery_23461_1861_34827.jpg

and leading on to the assembled Raptors (the new squad is on the back right):

gallery_23461_1861_13063.jpg

In progress now are five new Terminators, to enable Belthzar's personal murder squad, the Court Red Handed, to be C:CSM legal on heavy weapons.

After many decades lost in the Warp, Belthzar stirs again and rebuilds his host .....

I have neglected my Nightlords for some years now, but I now have some challenging painting projects in hand, starting with the Helbrute. I might have as small regret with the passing of possessed dreadnoughts from long back, but the variety, detail and sheer monstrosity of the Helbrute more than compensates.

gallery_23461_1861_272610.jpg

This shows the TL lascannon and claw with TL bolters, but by using the energy cells instead of most of the hoses, I have a full range of weapon swops available.

I don't mean to offend, but I've had this problem as well, the Hellbrute overall looks good but the face looks kinda mushy. You might want to increase the water part of the water-paint ratio and just layer it a couple times, the paint looks kinda thick on the face.

Otherwise though, the lightning bolts and metallics look awesome.

@Flint13 - Some of the old raptors date from about 1998 and were my first 40K models - repainted a bit since then.

@Volt - I think that the current Brute head is where it is. I used Chaos Black spray on all the parts before assembly, and Tallern Flesh foundation over the black before staring on the face flesh coats before placing inside the ring of teeth - that would bring in some weight on the face. Ready for a change in approach next time.

Moving on to the Call of Chaos to contribute 5 terminators - those mentioned above. Not a big total as I've been instructed not to buy any more before Christmas! The other models I have in hand are for the men in black (but not midnight clad).

Here is my starting point - base coated:

gallery_23461_6457_103743.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

As a small diversion from the CoC commitment, I have resurected Belthzar's personal bodyguard, the Court Red Handed in midnight clad TDA. I have "repaired" some of my early paintwork on these metal models but I have not restarted by stripping them - WYSIWYH (have). Red hands have a special significance for Night Lords but that relates to the legionaries' own gauntlets. One could weave a good story around why these flayed hands are displayed ..... one day.

gallery_23461_1861_34013.jpg

Now for my Call of Chaos commitment - 5 Night Lord Terminators, the Blood Ghosts. Three of these carry magnets, so that I have a choice of weapon load-outs for the heavy weapons, power fists and combi-melta.

gallery_23461_1861_262296.jpg

Alernative weapons:

gallery_23461_1861_87402.jpg

Viris colratha dath sethicara tesh dasovallian. Solruthis veh za jass.

Sorry, no Nostraman runes on my keyboard - ( Sons of our father, stand in midnight clad. We bring the night.)

Scream at your leisure.

OH DECISIONS !

Before Belthzar can complete his return and party with his Terminator brothers, he needs a visit to the armoury (as well as an armour re-paint). This 2008 pic shows his current load out with Lightning Claws and a cannon that would make Dirty Harry weep.

gallery_23461_1861_8849.jpg

I made only a few changes to the original GW model - removed the helmet, added a bigger trophy rack and a extra few horns. But the cannon is not a Kai gun (never shown by GW but supposed to be a psychic bolter?) and as a combi-weapon it is seriously lacking in the bolter presence. I plan to keep the hand with the LC.

( Furthermore, the Kai gun is no longer in the C:CSM armoury. )

So my choices are:

1. Replace the cannon with a "modern" plastic combi-bolter (which I have).

2. Find another plastic combi-melta/flamer/plasma gun and replace the RH metal arm.

3. Build out the cannon with ammunition belt(s) and bolter works - for an oversized "counts as" combi-plasma gun.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

BELTHZAR IS BACK !

I have compromised and set him up for both weapons. I managed to hacksaw off the metal stub without touching the GS collar around his head, so that I can magnetise both the combi-bolter (from the plastic Lord) and this massive plasmagun from the original model. The latter is only for show but looks scary.

I took the head out and re-painted with shades of Astronomican grey, Elf flesh and White scar, but this ended up like bone! A further wash of Astro grey took it to where I wanted to go, but I may rip his head off sometime and start again.

Anyway, the Court Red Handed now have their leader back:

gallery_23461_1861_381820.jpg

... and with the cloak re-worked:

gallery_23461_1861_212566.jpg

Finally, the mega-plasma-cannon version, with a magnet and pin to hold the monster in place:

gallery_23461_1861_18550.jpg

Now to go hunting for some victims .....

He looks like a spiteful warlord who sends others do wage his war of fear. Bloody his hands with common filth? No it is beneath me!

I like your take on that model as I always found it out of place, but he looks like he would look at home with your terminators.

@Noctem Cultor - many thanks for the appreciation. Belthzar is going to have to heed your words and get stuck in with the bolter blade and claws now.

It's just a pity that we are unlikely to get a Kai gun or similar in the next edition - would really like to atomise something huge. biggrin.png

• 2 months later...

Belthzar's host is getting to be fast attack heavy, but after much pleading (and other oaths during painting), he has a new pet ....

NIGHT LORDS HELDRAKE:

Heldrake with a (magnetised) Hades Autocannon Head:

gallery_23461_1861_27509.jpg

and the alternative head/weapon - Bale Flamer:

gallery_23461_1861_82640.jpg

EDIT: Photos only slightly better, still stuggling to cover larger models in my lightbox - I need to find some more daylight lamps.

With a battery hosted in the "tool store" on the base, I had planned on some flaming orifices. Just as well that these beasts do not have afterburners !

gallery_23461_1861_96940.jpg

gallery_23461_1861_24854.jpg

I am not rushing to build another one - it took me ages to get this painted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Back in 1998, Belthzar relied upon a few Chaos Marines with a few fists and power swords, identified by their trophy poles as "Chosen". They have been relegated to the "Warp" box in the loft.

A new Chosen squad is being summoned. Meanwhile, here is the Chosen Champion:

gallery_23461_1861_83965.jpg

and showing the Inquisitor's head trophy alongside the meltagun:

gallery_23461_1861_58412.jpg

The Chosen for 40K are in progress. More news soon.

EDIT on 27th: I have replaced the photos after revising the paintwork upon Augustus's feedback - highlights from a sycorax/mithril mix, plain Mithril and Alaitoc Blue, including Alaitoc and Black on the armour joints.

• 1 month later...

I have been working on a squad of Night Lords Chosen for this 40K Company since early April, aiming for some guys with plenty of bling and wrath. My excuse on the fluff is that this NL Terror Squad have time-warped out to bring some of their original Heresy gear (and morals) with them to align with Balthzar's ambitions. Using a few magnets, the C:SM allows plenty of weapon options.

First pics with a Plasma-Fest (most can be swopped for bolt pistols to allow others in on the action):

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_1861_57517.jpg

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_1861_86538.jpg

The Chosen Champion has an alternative backpack for demotion if I should wish to field the Champion model posted above.

Similarly, the Power Fist and Lightning Claws can be replaced to make space for some combi or assault weapons. FYI, the melta is an old metal item.

Hidden Content
gallery_23461_1861_111063.jpg

I may get around to the skinning pits at later date for some further embelishment, but they have taken long enough for now.

Archived