Fenbain's Horus Heresy Era Models - Now with Vulkan

Fenbain

Heya guys. I'm not a brilliant modeller or painter, but I recently got back into the hobby after a 5 year gap. Though I never reached a particularly good standard of painting previously, and still haven't in my eyes, I have definitely improved. I wanted to start up a page on here to document and showcase what I have done, mainly to encourage and motivate myself to continue steadily but also to get feedback from like-minded hobbyists.

With that out of the way, I'll move on to what the thread will likely include. Like many people, I read and love the Horus Heresy novel series. This, combined with the beautiful Forgeworld kits and the room for personalisation that the era provides, is why on my return to the hobby I have decided to build and paint mainly Horus Heresy models. My main focus will be a Salamanders Legion army, though like most of us I often get distracted by side projects.

My previous two side projects are pictured below.

Untitled 1

Iron Hands Praetor 2

Iron Hands Praetor 5

Iron Hands Praetor 4

Iron Hands Praetor 3

Iron Hands Praetor 6

This is meant to be a Horus Heresy Iron Hands Praetor/Iron Father, which ever takes your fancy. I know proportions aren't quite right but I like to think he doesn't care as he has censored.gif-off large bionic arms to make up for it. Still need to attempt some scrollwork and freehand on his blank shoulder pad.

Rogue Trader 1

Rogue Trader 2

Rogue Trader 3

Rogue Trader 4

Rogue Trader 5

Here is a figure I kitbashed and converted to use as a Rogue Trader, Inquisitor or generic high human lord, depending on what I like at the time. Pleased with the conversion and though the painting isn't great, it was my first model painted after 5 years.

Presented below are two WIP concepts for my Salamanders army. I'm not sure why but I dislike the idea of renowned warrior artisans and artificers wearing fetishes and jewellery, so for my Salamanders expect a more technologically advanced Salamanders Legion. Heavy duty and ornate armour along with alternate ideas of their signature units. I am also a die hard Predator fan, so there will also be influences included from that just for funsies.

Pyroclast 2

Pyroclast 1

Pyroclast 3

Pyroclast 4

Pyroclast 5

This is my WIP concept for Pyroclasts. Yet to be included is the traditional Forgeworld Pyroclast back pack and a whole host of brass details, but I have yet to procure the funds for those. I hope it is decent enough alternative, what are your thoughts?

Firedrake 1

Firedrake 2

And now the Firedrake. Also needing a different head and yet more brass detailing, these will be my take on the Firedrakes at least for the first squad.

That is all for now folks, don't expect updates to come to often. I am a third student at university and a combination of lacking funds and time means my hobby time often suffers. That said, I will try my best to continue infrequent updates.

ps. sorry about the pictures and camera quality, I don't have a digital camera so I am using one of my housemate's phones as the best substitute available.

• 4 months later...

A teaser on my Vulkan model. It is converted from Mortarion with a select few pieces from Forge World's own Vulkan model. Although it still needs more work (the large lightning claw style right hand he currently has isn't very fluffy etc.), I am specifically looking for feedback on the helmet and pose.

Vulkan - Converted from Mortarion

What do you guys think? :-)

ps. Put it into Photoshop to make the photo a bit better and sort out the lighting somewhat.

Archived