Okay, so the Flesh Hounds continue to come along. Here's a slight update:

Flesh Hounds, shaded

By the time of this pic, they've all been Nuln-oiled and dry-brushed with Blood Red on the skin. I've also done a highlight on the fur with Codex Grey. But, this pic was actually from yesterday evening. I've since started highlighting the horns, spines, and teeth. Hope to be done tonight, and will post another picture tomorrow. Thanks again for looking.

So, I was able to finally knock out these Flesh Hounds of Khorne. It took longer than I expected, but I'm pleased. I think they are close to what I was envisioning for them. I also can't wait to get them out on the table and see how they do. 

Finished Flesh Hounds of Khorne, full group

Flesh Hounds, unit 1

Flesh Hounds, unit 2

I do have one other thing to complete for the next round of the escalation league, which started this week; this guy:

Soul Grinder, in pre-fab

Sadly, I think I will have to break my rule of playing only with fully painted models. Hopefully, he won't only be in Sprue Grey. :ph34r.:  As always, thanks for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Over a week since my last post. Sheesh! I need to really practice getting these photos up at more discreet points in the building/painting process. My excuse is that I was trying to get my Soul Grinder put together an base-coated last week, before I needed to use him in a league match on Saturday. Which was accomplished, much to my surprise! :cool.: That said, I really wish I'd have snapped a pic, either when I had him together and base-coated, if for nothing more than as a comparison between then and now. Anyway, here is the Soul Grinder in it's current state - probably at about 85% complete on the painting:

Soul Grinder in progress

Soul Grinder in progress

Just need to paint up the spine on the torso, do the armor plate on the arm, and add highlights to the armor plates on the leg. I've considered doing some of the embellishments on the black areas, like those on the GW art/'Eavy Metal team. It would actually give me a chance to improve the technique I used on the Juggernaut of Khorne. Luckily, The model makes it easy to go back and do it at a later date. So that may wait until after the league stuff is done. We'll see.

My next couple of units will be a squad each of possessed CSMs and CSM bikers, so back to power armor models! I'm not sure which order I'll do them in yet. As always, thank you for looking!

So, I finished up the Soul Grinder, at least to the point I'm comfortable with for now. I've already used him once on the table top (against Necrons) and was pretty pleased with how he performed. I can't wait to use him again now that he's fully painted. 

Soul Grinder, finished

Soul Grinder, finished

Soul Grinder, finished

I kept the paint job pretty traditional. I think it's about the same scheme as you see on the box, with brass on the trim instead of Chainmail or Boltgun Metal or whatever the GW equivalent is these days. That said, the brass color is from the Vallejo line, Brassy Brass, and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Not quite as dark or bronze-ish as Brazen Brass was, IIRC.

My next project is assembled and ready to go. Will prime them up and start on them tomorrow. My Possessed tax:

Possessed Chaos Space Marines, assembled

I hate calling them a "tax," but they just aren't as effective for their points. And in the DK codex, they end up being a point more per model than in the regular CSM codex. Which really is a shame, because I love the way the models look. They are much better than the old mutation sprue stuff, though I did like that stuff at the time. And I am looking forward to painting them. I may have to have a viewing of John Carpenter's The Thing before I start on them, just for a little more inspiration. :cool.:

Well, it's slow going, but still going with my Possessed Chaos Space Marines. Took me about a day to decide the scheme I wanted to go on these guys. I was considering something like the scheme in photo in the army list entry in the Khorne Daemonkin codex. Decided against that, as I wanted something closer to the look of the rest of my army. I also decided against the Carpenter-esque style I'd used for flesh on my Obliterators and Chaos Spawn and such. So I took some inspiration from the picture of the Possessed on page 29 of the codex. Here's how they stand:

Possessed Chaos Space Marines, base-coat stage

The two in the front have had some of their daemonic flesh done up to test slightly different methods with the same group of paints. I think the one on the right is closer to what I had in mind. And I'm really happy with how the Blighted Gold has turned out so far. Really wish I'd had that paint back in the day when I was doing my Black Legion.

Hope to have these finished up later this week. Again, thanks for looking!

Looking good!

Blighted Gold is absolutely amazing, already earmarked it for when I do my Black Legion after painting the aquila from the Honoured Imperium with it the other week.

Dragonlover

Work on my Possessed Marines continues. Thing about these models is there are so many details, I find I miss a detail or two here and there when I'm painting some group of parts on the model (e.g., horns, trim, metal tubes, etc.), so I always have to go back and forth. That adds a lot more time as compared to normal CSM or daemons. That said, it still presents a fun challenge. So here's where they stand:

Possessed Chaos Space Marines, highlighting stage

I experimented a little with the armor color on these. The red I used on the armor was a P3 - Khador Red Base. And holy smokes did it come off brighter (and more orange tinted) than expected. I was able to use Carroburg Crimson to mute it down a bit. Still, I probably won't use that one again for my Khorne power armor stuff. It's not a bad red, it's just not what I wanted. I still like the Blighted Gold for these, though I may try to do some highlights with the new Liberator Gold paint.

Hope to be finished with these in the next few days. As always, thanks for looking!

Looking good!

Blighted Gold is absolutely amazing, already earmarked it for when I do my Black Legion after painting the aquila from the Honoured Imperium with it the other week.

Dragonlover

Thanks. Yeah, I think it's a great gold for Chaos stuff. It really fills a hole in the GW range. 

Ack! So it seems B&C servers ate my post, as well as my pictures, sometime during the night. Anyway, I was able to finish up my Possessed Chaos Space Marines yesterday. When I got to the basing phase, I spent a little time considering what to do. In the end, rather than go with my usual Chaos Space Marine model base, I decided to experiment a bit with colors. I applied the ballast as I normally do (its in the other pics on this thread), but instead of leaving it plain, I decided to apply a heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade. I then dry-brushed on a layer of Karak Stone. Then I dry-brushed on a highlight of Bleached Bone. It came out better than I expected. Here's the transition - Agrax Earthshade -> Karak Stone -> Bleached Bone:

Possessed base, with Agrax Earthshade applied

Possessed base, with Karak Stone applied

Possessed base, with Bleached Bone applied

So I was happy with the base colors this time. If I ever get around to it, I might go back and apply this scheme to my other CSM models that have just the plain ballast base. And after letting the paint dry, I added the static grass:

Finished Possessed Chaos Space Marines squad

First pair of Possessed Chaos Space Marines

Second pair of Possessed Chaos Space Marines

Possessed Chaos Space Marines squad champion

When I get them on the table, I'm going to run the helmeted model as the squad champion, as the rest of the squad have bare or semi-bare heads. Glad to have these guys finished. Next up will be more power armor models, this time in the form of Chaos Bikers! As always, thank you for looking.

• 5 weeks later...

So a quick update - it's been too long! I've still been working on my Khorne Daemonkin army, but it's been slow going of late. Right now, I'm working on a squad of three bikers. These guys I plan to use as a quick, anti-vehicle unit. I wanted to mount some melta guns on the bikes, so I had to use these:

Finecast melta gun sprue

Well, I guess I didn't have to use them, but the FLGS had a set, so I figured I'd grab them as they were only $10, rather than having to buy two new boxes of CSM. As per usual with Finecast, they weren't perfect. The gun muzzles were a little warped, though not too bad. So got my biker sprues out, and loaded them up:

Khorne bikers, front

Khorne bikers, side

I'm actually further along, well into painting them. I just haven't taken pics recently. I will try to get some up tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again for looking!

Another quick update on my bikers. Got my base coats on, and even most of the highlights on the bikes. Still a ways to go yet:

Khorne Bikers, base coats and some highlights

Khorne bike with melta gun

Khorne bike with twin-linked bolter

I decided to pick up a pot of the Evil Sunz Scarlet, rather than use my aging pot of Blood Red. I really like the new paint, mainly because it is a lot less gloppy than other reds I've used. Even the P3 red I found tough to work with, figuring out a decent balance between paint and water. With the ESS, I had no issues. I also picked up some Liberator Gold to use as the highlight for the Blighted Gold, and I'm liking the results so far. But it was expensive for how much paint you get. My main concern now is when I use some form of sealant, it'll dull the metallics too much. Hopefully I'll figure it out before I get to that point. :unsure.:

As always, thank you for looking! 

• 2 weeks later...

My bike squad is slowly but surely inching its way to the finish line. I've got the actual marines done up now, so I just need to seal them and then do the bases. Hopefully, those will go quicker that the rest of the work on this squad has gone. So here's how they look now:

Khorne bikers squad, near completion

Still can't say enough times how much I really like the Blighted Gold/Liberator Gold combo. If I had the motivation and a mountain of available time, I'd go back and redo the trim on my Black Legion models this way. As such, I'm happy with how it's come out. Here are some close-ups:

Khorne biker with meltagun

Khorne biker champion, close-up

Khorne Biker with meltagun, close-up

I usually don't do normal skin tones for my Chaos Space Marines, but tried it out on this biker squad. I think I still prefer a more pallid pallet for their flesh. The one thing I wasn't sure about with these models is what to do for their consoles. I tried something new:

Khorne Bikers consoles

Not sure I like how it turned out. I may do something else for the next squad of bikes. Still, my gemming wasn't too bad, so I'm happy about that. I'm also, eventually going to buy the biker upgrade sprue for these guys, so I can load the searchlight thingy into the open hole in the front fairing. Unless someone has a suggestion for a conversion that'll work?

I'm hoping to get the next box of bikers sometime in the next couple of weeks. I've actually run out of something in my tub of dust-collecting models! :biggrin.: So I'll need to buy some to complete my Gorepack formation. So I'm not sure what I'll be working on in the meantime, but I've got multiple languishing projects. We'll see. As always, thank you for looking.

Looking good! I wish I had the same problem of running out of dust-collecting models! Have you gone back and redone to old bases with the new method? It shouldn't take too long to do, should it?

Looking good! I wish I had the same problem of running out of dust-collecting models! Have you gone back and redone to old bases with the new method? It shouldn't take too long to do, should it?

Thanks! Yeah, that's probably a good idea for the next project, getting the rest of my KDK bases redone. 

And the models collecting dust come from a time when I had a better-paying job and fewer children, thus much more disposable income. :wink: Also it didn't help I had a layoff from the hobby for about four years. Most of the models are now right around 10 years old, and are either standard CSM, or various loyalist kits which I started grabbing around 2005-2007 when sections of the Space Marine range got face lifts (terminators, scouts, etc.).

Taking a cue from Rojo, I decided to work on updating the bases on the previously completed models by painting the ballast (sand). Using the paints and methods that I did on the Possessed and the Bikers, I've got a couple units done:

Updated bases, Bloodletters and Juggernaut

Updated bases, Bloodletters and Juggernaut, side angle

Updated bases, Bloodletters, close-up

Overall, it went pretty well and pretty fast. I was able to get most of the visible ballast while not coloring the static grass. Honestly, I'm liking the results on the Bloodletters more than the Lord on the Juggernaut. I do like the color dynamics the painted ballast gives the model. Next I will work on my Bloodthirster and Berzerkers. Should be done by tomorrow, if they go as fast. As always, thank you for looking.

More bases upgraded with paint! This time, it's all my Khorne Berzerkers. These pics are actually a couple days old. Life has intruded somewhat. But, as the orks say, 'ere we go:

Khorne Berzerkers with updated bases

Khorne Berzerker Champions updated bases

These were a little more challenging to do. That is, some of them were. Back in the old days, I was of the impression that static grass was part of the entrée rather than a garnish. In those days, my OCD hadn't kicked in about mold lines either:

Close-up of Khorne Berzerkers updated bases

Awful mold line on this Khorne Berzerker

:rolleyes: Oh well. At least it gives me a way to date my models. Working on the Bloodthirster's base now. Hope to have it done sometime tomorrow. As always, thank you for looking.

Thank you for the compliments, guys! 

Looks great! I'm always surprised at how much better a model looks when I've done some work on the base. How much longer do you think it will take to do the rest of them?

As far as my Daemonkin, once the Bloodthirster is done, I'll be done updating the bases. That should be in the next day or two. I still have my regular CSM, but I'm not really playing them now, so lacking the motivation to do them. Maybe when the next codex is actually on the horizon, I'll work on them.

Looking good :thumbsup: so the biker bling is now an upgrade sprue purchased separate? bad form GW

Thanks! As far as I know, Chaos Bikers have always needed to buy the separate sprue (or metal bits pack) for the special weapons. And of course, the pack doesn't include the most used bike-mounted weapon, the meltagun. :rolleyes: I've never bought a loyalist bike squad, so can't compare box contents between the two.

The loyalist bike doesn't have any special weapon, though the attack bike additional sprue comes with both a heavy bolter and a multimelta, and the scout bike comes with both twin-linked bolters and a grenade launcher, as well as many bits such as grenades, pouches and camo cloaks.

Ah, ok. Good to know as I'll probably have some bikers in my loyalist marines army. When I get to it.

Archived