++Daemon Forge - Call of Chaos help++

Hi everyone.

Call of Chaos is starting next week, with this we will see a lot of cool & great models by the members of Bolter & Chainsword.

I'm starting this topic for any members who seek help and for other members to help them out. This can range from painting and trying to get the right colour for your models, to looking for a fast way of painting your Chaos Marines and still look really cool. Or your struggle with a conversion idea or trying to remember a part from one of the kits for a conversion.

Or trying to work out time to make sure you can complete your Call of Chaos challenge. After all, we all have family, work, school, and other things that can take up some time away from the hobby.

If time permits, I'll possible look that painting up a few Chaos Space Marines & write down on this topic on how they're painted for different Legions and Warbands. I'll aim to get a Word Bearer, Black Legion & Night Lord posted with details on how I painted them. But remember, there are many other great techniques. Just check out some of the cool army logs on Bolter & Chainsword, some of which you'll be able to find over on the Chaos Space Marine resources topic:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/295381-chaos-space-marine-resources/?p=3781233

The aim is really just to show how to meet the deadline, enjoy the hobby & generally to see tons of cool models for Call of Chaos.

IP

I'll add a little help here. I've seen a couple of people in the last few days voice an intrest in the Sons of Malice. Speaking from my experince, the paint scheme is not an easy or forgiving one. One tip I can give, do to my experince running a GK Purifier army in 5th and needing to paint alot of white, the way I found that worked really well for me is to dry brush the areas marked for white with leadbelcher or Boltgun (for you lucky ones that still have some) and then get your brush wet before each dip into the white, I use Ceramite White. This will help with the tendancy I've seen for the lighter shades to produce a gloopy look when it dries. For vehicels, masking tape and a tape measure will be your friends here. Estimating where the quarters are is not normally advisable as it normally tends to end up with lopsided quarters and going black over white or white over black is pain noone should have to do.

A Chaos Lord from the ground up using various bits. The backpack is a possessed one that looks like scything talons. The helmet is a mk IV mutation from the Warp Talons. I'm using a bolt pistol from a regular csm sprue, or, using a pistol in its holster to give the arm more control.

The rest is up in the air, I need to find a torso and now that I'm probably ditching the Steed concept, need to find a new leg. I may need to get some possessed Pauldrons, as it's very clear they were only designed for the Possessed and not really transferable like the old mutation sprue.

Why this has taken me so long is because I'm waiting for the backpack and a pair of Thunderwolf cavalry legs to arrive from AU. It also dictates if I want PMs or NMs with his mark, hence why they haven't been assembled.

Then theres the two jobs.

If the pauldrons are to big, try using GS to tighten the fit. If thier to small, do not try and carve it out to make it fit, it wont work trust me. I tried that trick with pauldrons once and ended with the just the symbol on the pauldron, and even that wouldnt fit right on a different one.

. I may need to get some possessed Pauldrons, as it's very clear they were only designed for the Possessed and not really transferable like the old mutation sprue.

I've not had any problems, you tried pleading with the bits? or if that fails swearing and violence??

I don't plead. Either I fit it in or it becomes deadweight.

No, the possessed arms and regular pauldrons don't seem to fit. I was intending to use one of the marked champion ones, while the other is a studded Corvus pauldron a friend sent me with a bunch of loyalist bits. So I can mix and match small amounts of loyalist equipment to my PMs/NMs.

Plus I have to determine if I want to use the power sword arm or the flaming sword, the right arm is likely tqken.

A few do have fits that are designed to hold the pads at an angle. Just need to file them down a bit. Do it in stages though. File, test fit, file, test fit...

Yeah.

I should probably look for a possessed squad to pillage for bits all around, but using vanilla marines mixed with loyalist and possessed bits sounds more entertaining.

Sure is. Raptor bits are good too. Weapons, pauldrons, and helmets are excellent. Though I've seen others turn them into running marines too.

I'm using this CoC to get paint on some stuff that's relatively time intensive but low points value: an ass-ton of Cultists. What're some good colours for 'generic cultist' that I can mix up a bit but aren't just black and red?

Dragonlover

White and purple, olive and tan, blue and grey, orange and black, black and white.

I vote black and white, Malal needs some cultist love. So I need some input/help. How would you make it so that an army from two different factions that have similar models and the same paint scheme could be told apart at a glance? My Sons of Malice army uses two deferent codex books.

In order to further model the Prophet of the Voices rule, I bought a set of Possessed Torsos so I can mix and match.

I'm debating on getting the Khorne Berzerker legs, I have ten of these bastards to model for my retinue, nine if I get a tinderbox for the lord. Still no idea which version I'm making.

White and purple, olive and tan, blue and grey, orange and black, black and white.

I vote black and white, Malal needs some cultist love. So I need some input/help. How would you make it so that an army from two different factions that have similar models and the same paint scheme could be told apart at a glance? My Sons of Malice army uses two different codex books.

Invert the color scheme between the factions? I.e. Black shoulders, white helmets vs black helmets, white shoulders? 

Archived