The Cult of Orange

For those who do not follow Greyall's art thread you really should! Cause your mini can get picked in one of his "contests" and you get a bad ass piece of art for it like this:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/307/c/6/chaplain_thiel___vultures_by_greyall-d8549s5.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
It has been close to 10 years since I took a miniatures picture with an actual camera. As such I apologize to Jeff Wilhelm for the quality of these pics.

The idea behind these Ice Flow I bases is spring run off, similar to what you see in the first pictures.

Bases are a bit blue in person but the lights washed it out a bit. I am obviously WAAAYYY out of practice with photography work but I'll get better as this project moves along (hopefully). Definitely need to start with a less shiny black cloth.

Blues and whites were done with washes. Water effects (over 130 bases in total) were done with Woodland Scenic's Realistic Water.

gallery_2_1354_67272.jpg

gallery_2_1354_63605.jpg

gallery_2_1354_55278.jpg

gallery_2_1354_90083.jpg

gallery_2_1354_96981.jpg

*EDIT: So you get an idea of how blue they look in person, here is a shot from just before moving them to the light box. Natural light, with my phone:

gallery_2_1354_154491.jpg

and another from earlier in the process:

gallery_2_1354_305542.jpg

gallery_2_1354_121230.jpg

EDIT: Misread the original postings. Oops.

Those bases look gorgeous. Awesome work.

As for the Cult of Orange... I have some Marines left over from a failed Space Wolf set that this tempts me to do up in a similar scheme. Because Orange is a color you don't see on Chapters nearly often enough.

Could call them... The Tangmarines...

I'm not sorry.

So Kurgan, now that there is wider stance on armies here at the B&C, can brothers of Xenos mothers apply to be part of the Cult of Orange?

Heresy!

EDIT: Misread the original postings. Oops.

Those bases look gorgeous. Awesome work.

As for the Cult of Orange... I have some Marines left over from a failed Space Wolf set that this tempts me to do up in a similar scheme. Because Orange is a color you don't see on Chapters nearly often enough.

Could call them... The Tangmarines...

I'm not sorry.

There are some "Citrus Marines" going around FaceBook the last week or so.

The one and only Primaris that the Vultures will get. While it isn't an involved conversion (shoulder pads were easy) I would have to alter the neck guard on every single model in order for the Vulture helm to fit correctly.

So phase 1, primer:

gallery_2_1354_42396.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well it has been a few months but I finally sat down and made some progress. Sadly not only have my painting skills erode greatly but so have my photography skills. Losing my tripod hasn't helped the situation either. I'll need to practice both by the time this guy is done.

Anyway....progress....WIPs.....

gallery_2_1354_50992.jpg

gallery_2_1354_26708.jpg

gallery_2_1354_56975.jpg

gallery_2_1354_39355.jpg

gallery_2_1354_13764.jpg

• 1 month later...

Decided to give this painting thing a try again. I've been going through my paints (300+ bottles) and the casualty rate is high. Pretty much all my inks/washes are done for. Nearly 2 dozen bottles of paint are beyond savings. Bucket load of brushes in the trash too (thankfully none of my good ones).

Anyway, in an attempt to log a more balanced hobby-time at the gym routine I've been trying to put in as much time in the hobby room as I do in the gym each night. If you follow my IG you'll know I basically did not hobby in 2017.

So far I'm 4 for 4 on painting this year. Though it has ranged from 40 minutes to a couple hours.

#ProjectDragonSuns has started. Primaris Marines will eventually be on this.

Starting with some AzTech bases from Dragon Forge

Day 1 was just getting them primed::

gallery_2_1354_14964.jpg

Day 2, First coat of Rotting Flesh:

gallery_2_1354_197179.jpg

Day 3: Agrax Earth Shade wash.

gallery_2_1354_382026.jpg

Day 4: I managed to get some good time in here today. I started with a dry brush of 2 parts Rotting Flesh and 1 part Skull White (yep I got all kinds of old GW colors). I followed this up with a wash of Carroburg Crimson. While that was still wet I then spot-washed areas on the bases with a home made wash of Hawk Turqoise. Tomorrow some more dry brushing and hopefully starting in on colors of the mosaics.

gallery_2_1354_518357.jpg

Archived