The Cult of Orange

Day 5 -

Day off of work so I hit the hobby table early.

After last nights washes had dried I gave the bases a quick rotting flesh dry brush.

I then hit the mosaics with various Tamiya Clear colors (red, blue, orange, green, smoke and yellow). I applied those in a blotchy semi-random touch to help give the idea of faded through time tile work. I then gave just the mosaics a dry brush of 2 parts rotting flesh/1 part skull white to help fade the Clears out.

gallery_2_1354_670946.jpg

January 7, 2018.
Az-tech bases by @dragonforgedesign
Day 7 - No day 6 pictures as Saturdays are my day with the 4 year old.
Got a little bit of hobby time in today but not much as it was a lazy Sunday.
Dirt areas on the bases started.
Base layer of Iron Wind Metals (formerly Ral Partha) Dark Brown
Dry brush of Horizon Paints (RP/IWM rebranded for another game) Fleshtone #10
Then a wash of GW Agrax Earthshade.
Hopefully tomorrow I get the dirt finished and the water effects started.

gallery_2_1354_428255.jpg

January 8, 2018.

Day 8 - Much like work and my workout, today's hobby time started good and ended kind of #meh

Started of finishing the dirt up. 3 drybrushes in this order:

Ral Partha Ironwood Brown

Ral Partha Asian

GW Elf Flesh/Rotting Flesh mix

gallery_2_1354_624985.jpg

And then I fumbled....

For the water areas I wanted a mucky/algae encrusted look. So I started with a wash of GW Thraka Green.

gallery_2_1354_183557.jpg

I then mixed a little Thraka Green and my earlier Hawk Turqoise wash into some Woodland Scenics Realistic water. I should have done that stage AFTER painting the base rims and dull coat sealing them. So now after the water cures, I'll cover it up with liquid mask, finish and seal the bases then they should be good to go.

gallery_2_1354_981878.jpg

January 9, 2018.

Day 9 - Yesterday's gaff with the water effects came back to haunt me today. 24 hours cure time wasn't enough and the liquid mask just absorbed into the resin.

So today I finished up the base rims, sealed them with a matte coat and then....

dug out all the water effects and poured them again.

Won't make that mistake again. Given how often I have used water effects, it never should have happened to start.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll start in on the 90 & 100mm rounds and the 120mm oval. Once those are done I have 30, 32mm Az-tech bases left to do.

Sorry about the phone pics you've been seeing the last 9 days. Camera set up is currently el crapo.

gallery_2_1354_609676.jpg

January 10, 2018.

#wagewarwednesday

Day 10 - Not much sleep last night. As such, today's hobby time was pretty low key as I struggled to stay awake.

Have the 90 & 100mm Az-tech bases soaking to get them cleaned and primed. Did some prep work on Reivers, a Chaplain and then a bit more orange work on the Vultures Primaris.

gallery_2_1354_652616.jpg

In my humble opinion, it's a wise lesson to learn. Just accept that it's best to figure out how the base is going to be treated and make it a part of the building/painting process from the start, opposed to making it an afterthought and/or trying to do it at the end. I approve of your get it done en mass prerogative. A based model always improves the miniature but a miniature that has some care and forethought put into the base treatment shines a bit brighter.

Haven't posted to the B&C in a few days but here have been the updates I've posted elsewhere.

January 13, 2018.
Occult-7 base by @dragonforgedesign
Work cost me my workout and hobby time Friday. So today's plan was to make a lot of progress on the large Az-tech bases. However the 4 year old, Khaela, had other plans.
She saw me setting up and asked if she could learn how to paint. So I packed her up into the car, headed to the local art warehouse and these are the colors she picked out to paint the Occult-7 base she had picked out of my DDragon Forge bin earlier. Guess we will see the outcome next weekend.
gallery_2_1354_1124948.jpg
January 14, 2018.
Day 14 - Progress on the 120mm oval, 90 & 100mm rounds today. Got as far as the crimson and turqouise washes. Was hoping to get the follow up dry brush done but ran out of time. I'll hit that tomorrow.
gallery_2_1354_151194.jpg
January 15, 2018.
Day 15 - No #workout today as work was the workout. My father (who is a morbidly obese diabetic) was having some leg issues today as well so not a lot of hobby time today.
That said... Small progress today on the 90 & 100mm rounds and the 120mm oval. Drybrush over yesterday's washes. Tomorrow should hopefully see the murals done.
gallery_2_1354_81279.jpg
January 16:
Working on the murals tonight so hopefully get an update photo before I sack out for the evening.

Day 16 - Good progress today on the 90 & 100mm rounds and the 120mm oval, while listening to Talks Machina for Critical Role.

Finished the murals through the Tamiya Clears and drybrushing. Even manage to get started on the dirt.

I think I can finish these tomorrow and then move onto the 32mm bases. After that the actual build of the Primaris models can start.

gallery_2_1354_859775.jpg

January 18, 2018.

Day 18 - Pretty much finished the 90 & 100mm rounds, along with the 120mm oval. Just need to seal them and get the grubby water onto the 90mm.

Just leaves the 32mm bases to go before I start painting the Space Marines.

gallery_2_1354_768934.jpg

January 23, 2018.

Day 23 - Injured my back Friday so my hobby time has been limited each night and, at least for tonight, no #garagegym.

Have been continuing the work on the Az-tech bases. I have 60, 32mm to paint. 42 of them (those without murals) are pictured here. Should have them finished tomorrow.

gallery_2_1354_353681.jpg

I don't know if it's worth the work to you, but have you thought about casting your vultur helmet and the eliminating the bottom jaw? You could replace it with a standard grill, or primaris one under the beak. I think they would still serve you well and fit with the new armor.

Just my two credits...

Im not sure they would hold the same feel with that look. I don't really have an issue with converting the necks of the Primaris beyond I'm lazy. Ha. 

*EDIT: Thinking about it, I suppose I could cast the helmet with a notch in the lower beak to let it get over the neck guard. *

The Vultures will probably always be regular Marines for me. Other Chapters from my notebook can more easily be turned into Primaris. One Chapter, the Rooks, I'm even going to do as a regular Marine army but with Primaris models just so they are bigger. 

February 7, 2018.
Day 38 - Weekend off for the Super Bowl. Then prep work on Primaris Captain in Gravis Armor. Today, priming. Might get some more work done after the gym but I'm feeling pretty tired tonight. Gotta have something for the Az-tech bases of course.

gallery_2_1354_135345.jpg

Archived