HA! 
At least you have mode models to paint... I only have 4 more guards to paint... :( Then I have to go on with Eldar or Tau. 

But I could perhaps convert one Scion mode into an "assassin", in my case "commando/agent"...

To be honest, your plog is what made me start painting guards I had at home. So... I guess I am on a race with you :)

Thanks. But would recommend you to try it out. To make skull helmets that is.

This was my first time. You could follow the picture guide I made as reference.

Lately I have been very blessed by the dice Gods with my other armies. I don't really enjoy it to be honest. I want a fair fight :)

I'm curious how you did the base. Maybe I should step away from 'grass' or 'black sand' and try someting like your bases.

Well it is pretty simple. 

1. Agrellan Earth (GWs Techincal paint range). I paint a small area or two on the base, to get the cracked earth effect. If you are unfamiliar with the paint and how to use it, check out GWs own instruction video. It is really good. 

2. PVE glue and sand (I used GWs sand, but any kind of sand is okey really. Just as long as you get the wanted effect you want. GW have a good sized grain on their own set, but expensive... for sand...)

3. Paint everything black. I water it down a lot so it is easier to apply. It basically just flows into the gaps. 

4. Once dry I dry brush with Mournfang brown (GW)

5. Then I follow up with Desert Yellow, but I think the new name today is Zamesi Desert (GW). 

6. Finally I add Screaming skull (GW)

7. Then I add gras tufts. Mordheim Turf (GW)

These bases are really simple and fast to make. If you add a slate stone or two it will improve the overall look even more. 

Hope it helps!

Once the kids went to sleep I got bored and pieced together some parts I had left and made three models. 

First I made my "Inquisitor" for my army. In my case he will act as a regimental "hero". A gunslinger with a reputation of throwing him self into the heat of battle and leading by example. 

So, I decided to give him a fancy coat, a chest full of medals, a snazzy hat and two plasma pistols. 

Then I went on and made one of my four assassins. I will use one of each, Vindicare, Calidus, Eversor and Culexus. The formation from their supplement. 

I didn't have much to go with, so I made the easy one. The Vindicare. 

Now, bare in mind that my assassins will not be assassins. They will be a commando team/Special ops team. So they will have similar armour and colour scheme as the rest of the army. What will make them stand out a bit is the red beret they will all have. 

Anyhow, from the Cadian command box I got the sniper kit. But I had to cut out the arms and replace them with Tempestus arms. Then I went for the kneeling legs, and had to replace the lower part of the leg for the Tempestus legs. 

And lastly I made a standard guardsman on what I think will be the general look of my veterans. 

Head swap for berets or some other random no helmet head. Adding grenades and other gear that I usually skip on standard infantry men. And I also made the should pads much smaller. They no longer cover the whole shoulder, but only the upper part. 

So, here is a sneak peak on how far I have gotten this night (had to abort to watch "The Walking Dead" with my wife).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Astra%20Militarum/CommandoInquisitorGuard.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Right. 

I am almost done with the last three members of the plasma unit and the three additional extra models above.
All that is needed now is high lights and the bases. 

With that done I felt that I could buy more units for the army. So in the coming week I will receive some additions for my army. Well basically the rest that I can buy from Games Workshop. The other units are from Forge World. But I'll hold on with that order until next month I think. 

Well what I am expecting now is the following:

2 Cadian command boxes

3 Cadian boxes (10 man box)

4 Tempestus Scions boxes

1 Valkyrie

1 Space Marine Storm Talon

These units will transform into:

1 Cadian/Whatever name I will give my army, command squad with grenade launchers

2 Cadian/Whatever name I will give my army, Veteran squads with plasma guns, grenade launchers

1 Tempestus command squad, with hot shot volley guns

1 Tempestus scion unit, meltaguns

1 Valkyrie, converted into a helicopter

1 Vulture, converted into an attack helicopter

One of each assassin (in my army commandos)

And one additional command squad that is going to be used in Zone mortalis. Straken will be leading them... but my own interpretation. 

If I can find time to finish the models tonight there will be an update with pictures of course. 

Allright. Finally got some time and motivation to finish the last six models I had at home. 

Nothing special really I guess. 3 Scions, one with plasma, used a space marine plasmagun here I think. Just to get some variation on the positions of the plasmagun wielders. 

The three test models, one Assassin/commando, inquisitor, and one test model of how I think my Veterans will end up looking like (adding some more bits). 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Astra%20Militarum/Tempestusscionsplasmaunit.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/VashDime/40k/Astra%20Militarum/Testmodels.jpg

*The pictures turned out a bit blue... they are slightly, not much, more grey in real life :)

Damned good work!

I always want to open my box of Scions when I see your thread, but other projects must come first!

What's next on your project list?

Thanks mate :D

Whats next? Well I don't know really. My ordered miniatures have not arrived in time, so I am considering to buy an Imperial Knight from the local game store. 

Othervice what I have on the list is:

- Tempestus Command squad

- Tempestus Scion meltagun unit

- Valkyrie converted into a helicopter

- Vulture converted into an attack helicopter

- Two units of veterans

- Command squad

- 3 additional assassins/Field Agents

You decide for me :) I am up for any one of them. I try to stick to 5 models (infantry) at the time. The veterans I can do 10 at the time though as they are really simple to paint. 

Thanks all :) Great to have some respons, but I am not against some suggestions or critique either. One of the reasons to post is to see what others think. 

@Elmo

Once you know how to rigg up for photo taking and editing it is really easy. But of course, the process of getting to the point where it is easy might be long :)

I bought a system camera 3 years ago, along with my daughters first birthday. From that day I have really started to understand how to take pictures and do some basic editing. 

My issue that I have today is that I have no good room for picture taking. Its really dark in my living room when I do take pictures (night time), and I have a very limited space. In the future, when I move to a house or something... I'll buy a small stand for photography. This will eliminate the need for cutting out unwanted backgrounds. 

@WarriorFish

... I don't know :) If I am going to do more Scions at the moment, it will surly be the Command squad. 

I am interested in the Veterans and how they will turn out as a full squad. 

Also, the helicopters are tempting, but I need some more parts, the rotor blades to be more specific. I have contacted the local hobby store, and he will see what he can mix up for me. 

Are you going to paint the Knight to match the Scions? That would be so cool. I like your blue, grey, black color scheme.

I was actually going to ask you guys about it. I am leaning towards it, but its always good to ask what others think.

I know now that your in for it :)

The problem I have is that the color scheme will reverse some areas on the Imperial knight. Example, to make the Knight in the same theme as the rest of the army I need to paint the armour blue/grey. No problems there. Then paint the frames (gold parts on the box art of the Imperial knight) in metallic. Now... that it self is not a problem either. The issue comes when I am going to paint the machinery. On my infantry those parts are the fatigue, meaning black. So that would leave me with black machinery.

So my idea for this, if I will go down this path, is to make a whole lot of scratches where pistons are, and moving parts. Revealing metal underneath.

You're creating quite the backlog, fortunately it won't take you long to paint them msn-wink.gif

Ha ha, we will see about that. Too me one week to just pick up the brush and paint the last things on the last 6 models I painted. :D

But, hopefully I have found a way to keep my self motivated.

- Assemble 5 models/one vehicle

- DO NOT ASSEMBLE MORE!

- Paint them, to get excited to assemble more...

I would paint the armor - blue / grey; the machinery - black / dry-brush metallic; the gold parts - gold.

The latter actually would be comparable to the skin / flesh portions of the Scions.

Archived