IA13: Dedicated Transport Dreadclaws, and More!

Lexington

I've been so burned out on Chaos lately, especially after Games Workshop's whole "You guys don't really want Traitor Legions, do you? What you really need is some nice Crimson Slaughter!" routine.

While for the most part, I agree, this is unfair on the crimson slaughter - I'm reading the codex now, and there is some really good fluff in it, and on the development and falling of a Chapter to Chaos.

The rules are also easily suitable for use with WB, Night Lords, etc. Which is what I think GW intended.

If you produced a "Codex: Word Bearers" only WB players may use it. Making a generic "Codex: Renegade Astartes" opens it up for anyone to take their rules.

I disagree, but this topic is about celebrating the release of a real supplementary book that we'll all enjoy, so I'll refrain from derailing another topic.

Should include Sonic predators too.

I've been so burned out on Chaos lately, especially after Games Workshop's whole "You guys don't really want Traitor Legions, do you? What you really need is some nice Crimson Slaughter!" routine.

While for the most part, I agree, this is unfair on the crimson slaughter - I'm reading the codex now, and there is some really good fluff in it, and on the development and falling of a Chapter to Chaos.

The rules are also easily suitable for use with WB, Night Lords, etc. Which is what I think GW intended.

If you produced a "Codex: Word Bearers" only WB players may use it. Making a generic "Codex: Renegade Astartes" opens it up for anyone to take their rules.

I disagree, but this topic is about celebrating the release of a real supplementary book that we'll all enjoy, so I'll refrain from derailing another topic.

Should include Sonic predators too.

Really, just staple sonic weapons on everything.

That said, I am happy for this book. I want to know how the Rhinos/Land raiders in this book vary from the codex. And hope the books is in the £30 price range, as opposed to the £50.

Good fluff. So how many people were there world wide waiting/wanting more CS fluff, compering to let say one of the least liked legions ?

As far as can use them for X, you do know that one could make the argument that codex SM or SW were made by GW to be played with different faction, and in the end could end with the argument "why make chaos codex at all".

And the codex renegades makes many people play it is a weak arguement, when everyone is playing with the same things from it[and its invalidating the other books for the same faction]. The argument was used when we got the gav dex and was carried on GW banners and ended with the AC saying "we didn't exepect people to take two".

I agree. Landraiders, dreads, gunships, predators, cultists, defilers, forgefiends.

Seriously should just be a staple weapon.

Heck, with the Tome of Excess supplement we know that, in the Screaming Vortex at least, there are guns, rifles, and even anti-tank sonic weapons manufactured for human use. Shouldn't be that hard to give your local angry mob of Slaaneshi cultists a few sonic pistols.

So it sounds like Dreadclaws have been partially fixed, in that they can now be taken as Dedicated Transports by some of our units.

But how about their cost?  What's a Nightscythe equivalent to, in terms of CSM gear?  A Powerfist plus a Meltagun, or four Powerfists?

And do they have the same scatter mitigation as loyalist pods?

If they're they're the same as in HH3, then the big one has scatter mitigation, small one does not, both have drop pod assault, and are assault vehicles. They drop in hover mode, so you land, jink, disembark and charge, if you get show doen that's fine, you can still charge. It's a lot more like a Lucius pod than a normal drop pod.

If they're they're the same as in HH3, then the big one has scatter mitigation, small one does not, both have drop pod assault, and are assault vehicles. They drop in hover mode, so you land, jink, disembark and charge, if you get show doen that's fine, you can still charge. It's a lot more like a Lucius pod than a normal drop pod.

With one little entry I feel like I should convert some cosen and helbrutes... :)

One other thing about the Chaos Drop Pods is you can Jink for 4+ but still auto-hit stuff w/no Cover Save with the Heat Blast / Flame Sweep when you fly over something (like the old DE Reaver Jet Bikes).

Muahahaha....

Couple more posts from Mr. M:

This one was a line-by-line response to another poster's questions, so there's some weird bits, but the info remains juicy:

Rhinos/Predators/Land Raiders/Vindicators - they're in there for completeness. Don't even have rules!

Hell Talon - Now a Fast Attack choice. Comes with a choice of bombs. Eight Pyrax (S5, AP4, Ignore Cover, Blast) the standard. These can be switched out, on a one for one basis for Baletalon Shatter Charge (S*, AP4, Heavy 3, Unguided*), Alchem Cluster Bomb (S-, AP5, Heavy 3, Barrage, Blast, Poisoned 4+) Warp-pulse bombs (S2, AP2, Heavy 1, Large Blast, Blind, Haywire).

*Unguided - always treated as a Snap Shot

Sonic weapons are sonic weapons. Can overdrive them to gain Gets Hot! and Rending. Warp Amp doubles the output if the Dread remains Stationary

No idea. Rules are in there, but I have no point of reference I'm afraid.

Rapier - Because it's cool? I dunno. It's not especially Daemonic, but I do like the idea of it being a teenytiny posssed dakka platform. Perhaps yapping like a Yorkshire Terrier when not shooting. Oh and it has extra weapon options - Quad Heavy Bolter (standard), Laser Destroyer, Ectoplasma Cannon, Hades Autocannon, Cyclotrathe patter conversion beamer.

Renegade and Heretic Armies are a full stand alone army. For the purpose of Allies, book says 'When selecting an allied contingent for an army using the Allies Matrix, a Renegades and Heretics army is considered identical to a standard CSM ary; save that it may select an allied contingent from a CSM Faction as Battle Brothers**, and a CSM army may select an allied contingent from the Renegades and Heretics list as Battle Brothers**

**Battle Big Brothers, given what's likey to occur after the victory.

*** Battle Little Brothers, given what's like to occur after the victory.

Blight Drones now HP2.

Just had a PM question from a newcomer who can't yet post, and it's regarding Drop Pod Assault for the Dreadclaw and Kharybdis....

A Chaos Dreadclaw, and any unit it transports, must always be held in reserve and always enters play using the Deep Strike rules, and counts as a Drop Pod for the wider use of the Drop Pod Assault rule for the army (eg, if a Kharybdis Assault Claw is also taken). At the beginning of the controlling player's first turn, they must choose half of their Drop Pod units (rounding up) to make a Drop Pod Assault., These units arrive on their controlling player's first player turn. The arrival of the remaining Drop Pods in the player's force is rolled for as usual for the mission. A unit that Deep Strikes via Drop Pod may not assault in the turn it arrives. In the case of the Chaos Dreadclaw, unlike other Drop Pods, it is not immobile. However, after it has landed, it is treated as a Flyer with Hover mode (which starts off as hovering after it has arrived via Deep Strike)

Above is verbatim from the book.

Also, smidge more on the Sonic Dread...

Better WS and BS than most, no Rampage table, comes with twin linked Sonic Blaster (upgradeable to Blastmaster), Chainfist with built-in Storm Bolter (NOT combi bolter), Doom Siren, Smoke Launcher and Searchlight. Dedicated to Slaanesh - counts as having Assault and Defensive Grenades.

Also, smidge more on the Sonic Dread...

Better WS and BS than most, no Rampage table, comes with twin linked Sonic Blaster (upgradeable to Blastmaster), Chainfist with built-in Storm Bolter (NOT combi bolter), Doom Siren, Smoke Launcher and Searchlight. Dedicated to Slaanesh - counts as having Assault and Defensive Grenades.

Not keen on the Storm Bolter. But looks good to me. Looking forward to the book for certain.

HOLY :cuss....Do though rules say what I think they say? That the dreadclaw works like a normal pod and THEN becomes a flyer?......are we that lucky?

Bit disapointed that teh renegades are WS/BS 2 as opposed to 3, I was hoping they'd have a stat distinction from cultists....ah well

Obviously I'd be inclined to disagree, but that's another story.

Mr. Mystery posted a full listing of the units available to Renegades and Heretics on BoLS. Some very cool looking stuff in there! I can hardly believe how awesome this release sounds. :)

With a rebel yell, I cry "MOAR, MOAR, MOAR!":

Contemptor Dread - is pretty filth.

WS5, BS4, S7, 13/12/10, IdA3 HP3

Pretty standard loadout to start, but has Fleet (really), Adamantium Will (really) and Hellfire Reactor - 4+ Inv against Glancing, 6+ Inv against Penetrating. In close combat, and model with the Psyker special rule takes an automatic S2 AP2 hit at Initiative 10 step (oh HAI GREY KNIGHTS!). Downside? +D3 to asplosion radius and hits from that have Soul Blaze.

But....the upgrades...LAWKSAMERCY!

Usual toys for Contemptors (see Forgeworld website) along with? Butcher Cannon, and any CombiBolter can be upgraded to Heavy Flamer, Plasma Blaster, Meltagun, or a Soul Burner (24", S4, AP4, Blast, Rending). Can also have a carapace mounted Havoc Launcher.

Dedication's what ya need, sang Roy Castle at the start of Record Breakers when I was a nipper, and it's good advice for a Contemptor...

Khorne's your daddy? Rage and Rampage for you.

Nurgle's your Grandpa? It Will Not Die

Slaanesh your biatch? Assault and Defensive Grenades counts as

Tzeentch your bird? Re-roll Inv saves of 1, and all Heavy Flamers get Soul Blaze.

I like Khorne and Nurgle the best!

Here's some hot, hot Decimator action (dunno if this is different from old IAs or no):

WS3, BS3 12/12/11 I3 A3 HP3

Daemon, Unholy Vigour (potentially unkillable, 5+ to avoid explode, instead being left on it's side. If so, every turn roll a D6. 1? Take it off. 2-5 leave it, 6+ back up with D3 hull points, all weapons and legs fixed.

Siege Claws S user, AP2, Shred, Smash (D6 heavy flamer hits on units inside a building suffering a penetrating hit, for each Heavy Flamer the model has).

Khorne - Rampage

Nurgle - It Will Not Die

Slaanesh - Assault and Defensive Grenades

Tzeentch - re-roll shooting attacks of 1, and Heavy Flamers gain Soul Blaze.

Ignores Crew Shaken and Stunned on a 2+.

Nowt wrong with it, but I prefer the look of the Contemptor

Right. The big one. List of what's in the Renegade army list.....

HQ

1+ Renegade Command Squad

0-1 Rogue Psyker Coven (well funny. If you Perils, model becomes Possessed!)

0-1 Renegade Enforce Cadre

Elites

Renegade Marauder Squad (Mercs essentially, think IG Veterans but can take Brutes which are like Ogryns, sort of. Really hard to describe!)

Renegade Chaos Spawn (as normal, but with gribbly bonus table for HTH - 1-2 4+ Sv 3-4 2D6 pick highest for attacks 5-6 Poisoned 4+)

Renegade Disciple Squad (again, kinda IG Veterans, options for Carapace and that)

Renegade Ogryn Brutes (can buy hunting hounds - which are ace!)

Renegade Blood Slaughters (Master of Renegade Demagogue only, and need Covenant of Khorne, 0-1)

Renegade Blight Drones (Master of Renegade Demagogue only, and need Covenant of Nurgle, 0-1)

Troops

Renegade Infantry Platoon (can increase numbers in squads, one squad nominated as Command Squad, otherwise 3pt IG, WS2 and BS2)

Renegade Mutant Rabble

Renegade Infantry Veterans

Plague Zombie Horde (Warp Plague special rule - gain D3 Zombies every time it destroys, or breaks, and enemy unit in HTH, 3pts a chuck, FnP 4+....needs Master of Renegades Demagogue)

Dedicated Transports

Renegade Chimera

Fast Attack

Renegade Hellhound Squadron (1-4, all variants available)

Renegade Sentinel Squadron (3, can include up to 3 more per squadron, WS2 and BS2, which can be upgraded to WS3 BS3)

Renegade Salamander Squadron

Renegade Arvus Lighter Squadron

Renegade Valkyrie Squadron (BS2, can upgrade to BS3). No option for Vendetta.

Heavy Support

Renegade Tank Squadron (All Russ variants, BS2, 1-3, can upgrade to BS3)

Renegade Artillery Squadron (Basilisk and Medusa, BS2, 1-3, can upgrade to BS3)

Renegade Strike Battery (Griffons and Wyverns, 1-5...yes, 5 sodding Wyverns per choice, BS2 as if it mattered with that much dakka, can upgrade to BS3)

Renegade Hydra Battery (BS2, upgrades to BS3, 1-3)

Renegade Bombard Battery (1-3 Colossus, BS2 upgradeable to BS3)

Renegade Heavy Ordnance Battery (immobile Earthshakers, can upgrade to Medusa Siege Guns, 1-3, usual BS stuff)

Renegade Support Squad (Weapons Teams, 3-6)

Renegade Rapier Laser Destroyer Battery (1-3)

Renegade Field Artillery Battery (1-4 Heavy Quad Launchers or Heavy Mortars, usual BS stuff)

Lords of War already covered.

- - - Updated - - -

In short? Renegades are more IG than wot IG are! So, so much Dakka, and I suspect Chaos Players will be allying for a little revenge, using the 5 Wyvern option....

Infantry Squads can be upgraded to BS and WS3, at a flat cost for the unit.

So, good value for a 10 man squad, twice as good for 20 man squads, and if you've taken Master of the Horde, opening up a squad size of 30, frankly bloody excellent value....

Other flat value upgrades are Sub-Flak (so they get a 6+ save as opposed to none), and Krak Grenades.

For every 5 models, you can have one of the following - Flamer, Grenade Launcher, Meltagun, Plasma Gun, Vox Caster, Chaos Sigil.

For every 10, you can add a Weapons Team with the usual, plus Heavy Stubber option.

Pistol and CCW standard, free upgrade to pistol to Lasgun, Autogun or Shotgun....

Sample?

Let's say I have a Master of the Horde, and max out a troop choice, without the BS upgrade. 5 Squads would be 450 points, with a total of 150 oiks.

Same, but upgraded to WS3 BS3? 500 points.......

- - - Updated - - -

Sicaran...

Comes with Twin-linked Sicaran autocannon, which are hideous, 6 shot, Rending Autocannon which deny jink saves, and a heavy bolter. Can have sponson Lascannons or Heavy Bolters, and all heavy bolters can be upgraded to rending.

In short, it's a very, very bad day waiting to happen to MEQ and Tau etc!

Finally, some Mutant Rabble info:

Much as the infantry, but fewer options. They do however come with that mutation rule I waffled about earlier, which can make them pretty pokey.

Good. Friggin'. Lawd. I am so happy.

Archived