Starting Alpha Legion 2000/2500pts

Roadsign

Hi Forum!

I’m new in this Forum and to Horus Heresy.

At the moment I’m working on an Alpha Legion 2500pts List.

Normally when I’m new to a system I buy some Minis of which I like the rules or the way they look and develop a list.

But as the Forgeworld stuff isn’t that cheap I want to have a rough direction before buying anything msn-wink.gif

So here is my first try:

HQ
Armillus Dynat [200]
- Coils of the Hydra

Exodus [115]

Elites:

Apothecarian Detachment [135]
- 3 Apothecaries

Lernean Terminators [255]
- Venom Sphere harness

- 2x Chainfist

Legion Destroyer Squad [330]

- + 2 Marines

- Jump Packs

- Missile Launcher

- 2x Phosphex Bombs

- Artificer Armor

- Power Sword

Gal Vorbak [225]

(Rewards of Treason)

- Artificer Armor

- Power Fist

Troops:

Tactical Squad [230]
- +7 Marines
- Legion Vexilla

Tactical Squad [240]
- +8 Marines
- Legion Vexilla

Tactical Squad [195]
- Legion Vexilla

- Rhino

Fast Attack
Headhunter Kill Team [355]
- +5 Headhunters
- 9x Combi Bolters with Banestrike Ammo
- Heavy Bolter, Banestrike Ammo and Suspensor Web

Heavy Support

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer [220]

- Auxiliary Drive

- Armoured Ceramite

- 2500 points

Oh yes, one thing you should probably know is that we are playing with 6th Edition Rules happy.png

Wecome to the Alpha Legion and B&C. It is always great to see another Alpha Legionnaire joinin the rankssmile.png

Sadly I can't help you out because I don't use FW books. But there is an official Alpha Legion thread in the CSM forum for 30k and 40k. Here is a link:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/295527-the-harrowing-home-of-the-alpha-legion/

Hydra Dominatus

Good day-

In the 2500 point range, you will almost certainly be running up against fliers and Lords of War. You don't seem to have a firm answer to either one in the numbers that you will see them in. There's also a surplus of cool, expensive, premier units and a real lack of cost-effective units that give 30k armies their punch. For instance, in an infiltrating Alpha Legion army, you get great value in rapiers, mortis dreads, and even unsexy auto-cannon predators.

For my rewards of treason I took Iron Warriors havocs. With infiltrate, I can most likely put them in a good cover position that will let them use their missile launchers on enemy MEQs hiding in cover and/or position hem in anticipation of hitting enemy flyers. The -1 to cover is pretty nice, and could let me get in a solid punch on enemy troops during the first turn. With Dynat's rule they are also more likely to do serious damage on enemy vehicles if they are placed in the enemy deployment zone. Just a thought, since you already have Lernaeans as a solid combat unit.

I also find Exodus to be unimpressive. With all the 2+ floating around in HH he may struggle to make his points back. Maybe the battle line thing with the quad auto cannon could help against flyers too if you give it to that small tactical squad.

Keep in mind this is all theory hammer though, as I have yet to play my Alphas on the field.

Hello,

I already thougt about the Havocs. I think they could be really cool :)

A friend of mine wants to start with Salamanders and he wants to do a Istvaan 5 theme.

I really love the idea.

So I think I have to put a flyer in the list :)

I like the model of the Storm Egale and it would fit the theme very well

but i'm not sure if I can make good use of it :/

At the moment I'm thinking about something like this:

HQ:
Armillus Dynat [200]
- Coils of the Hydra

Elites:

Apothecarian Detachment [135]
- 3 Apothecaries

Lernean Terminators [255]
- Venom Sphere harness

- 2x Chainfist

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [185]

- 2 Lascannons

Troops:

Tactical Squad [190]
- +3 Marines
- Legion Vexilla

Tactical Squad [180]
- +2 Marines
- Legion Vexilla

Tactical Squad [180]
- +2 Marines
- Legion Vexilla

Fast Attack:
Headhunter Kill Team [355]
- +5 Headhunters
- 9x Combi Bolters with Banestrike Ammo
- Heavy Bolter, Banestrike Ammo and Suspensor Web

Storm Eagle Assault Gunship [240]

- Extra Armour

- Armoured Ceramite

Heavy Support:

10 Iron Havocs [360]

(Rewards of Treason)

- 10x Missile Launcher

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer [220]

- Auxiliary Drive

- Armoured Ceramite

- 2500 points

I assume you will be going with an Infiltrate/Outflank deployment but what I would reconsider are the Tacticals and the Headhunters.

The 3 Apothecaries will be going with the 3 of them but numbers are still "low" and those are not super armor units. You could easily field more men in those teams and achieve better balance, than smaller teams with 5++ save.

Headhunters instead, are too pricey for what they do. I see them as better Seeker squads that already cost a good deal of points.

Maybe normal Veterans could do the job with a lower expense ?

Exactly my 2c. :)

Or maybe I'll drop the apos for some more men?

Yep, that's what I meant :)

About the Headhunters, if you like them I won't discuss. I myself write down lists that little to nothing have to do with winning :DD

About the Headhunters, if you like them I won't discuss. I myself write down lists that little to nothing have to do with winning :DD

I am also focusing on the fluff or theme but it should also be competetive ;)

Thank you all for your help! :)

Hydra Dominatus! :D

Hmm, doesn't the headhunters have Bs5 and PE(infantry)? What need is there for the combibolters apart from overwatch/snapshots? Also, isn't the rewards of treason unit bought as an Elite choice in the Alpha Legion army? (my book arrives tomorrow so I'm just going from my memory)

Where is Dynat going, and what is he DSing? :)  (he's so cool that guy, hehe, lots of fun things to do with him!)

Have fun with your Alpha Legion! They can be pretty sneaky and nasty if they want to, hehe

Hello,

you're right with the Headhunters. The problem is that I always have very bad luck with my dice rolls, so I thougt twin-linked might be a good thing. :D

Also as you mentioned for overwatch. But I can defnitly save some points here!

Also you're right with the the rewards of treason...mea culpa.. but luckily there is some space left in the elites section ;D

I think Armillus Dynat is a very funny Char and I will defnitly try some things with him.

DSing Havocs eg could be a very nasting thing :D

They have to, for their points cost ;D

I've just seen your AL & TS Thread. They all look really delicious happy.png

If there is no official Model for Dynat until mid of next year - wich I think will be the case -

I'll maybe ask you for some ideas happy.png

...or the Headhunters, hehe, a nasty surprise for your opponent as one of his squads disappears in a puff of smoke. devil.gif

Is that "true" in gameplay terms ? Because really they don't look like much and the price is what it is.

Could you help me out ?

...or the Headhunters, hehe, a nasty surprise for your opponent as one of his squads disappears in a puff of smoke. devil.gif

Is that "true" in gameplay terms ? Because really they don't look like much and the price is what it is.

Could you help me out ?

Not really, no, well not on the first turn at least. If they end up within 9" of an infantry unit they will kill about 5 of them from shooting their bolters. What happens the turn after that though, is that they'll get into combat with HoW and ap3 daggers and most likely kill off the rest. What to target would have much to do what the opponent has though...

Archived