Crackle of a Different Color

So, I decided to re-base my army to match the paintjob of my citadel realm of battle board, which is pained up as a purpleish-red demon world landscape with glowing green cracks.

The best results I've had is to spray the base with white primer, paint it the appropriate shade of green and let that dry, then use the Argellan Earth technical paint. When that dries, I paint over with purple and drybrush red. After some frustration with accidentally painting into the cracks and ruining the green effect, I decided to look into some alternate methods.

I tried buying a tube of crackle medium from an arts & crafts store, but it seems formulated to only make sliver-cracks, not matter the thickness I apply it with, not letting enough of the green show through. Also, mixing the purple into the medium seems to diminish the crackle effect even further.

Does anyone have recommendations for brands of crackle medium that have the same "break pattern" as Argellan Earth? Anyone experimented with mixing in other colors, and what ratios have worked best to keep the crackle-effect upon drying?

I've seen people use Tim Holtz Distress Crackle paint on miniatures quite frequently. You can get that in different colors, one of them a purple if I'm not mistaken.

Though you can also try to apply the Crackle paint with the effect you like and paint over that.

That said, for most of the crackle mediums the thickness with which you apply it is pretty essential for the final effect. Some of them require an undercoat to work properly. If applying different thicknesses of paint had no noticeable impact on the paint you are using, maybe humidity in the air is messing with the paint.

Have you tried manually speeding up the process of drying the paint with a hot air gun or a hair dryer (while not melting your plastic minis) or something like that?

I use this method quite regularly (albeit leaving Agrellan with it's own colour, and washing with black/brown)

1. Paint Agrellan Earth on the base and let it dry fully.

2. Paint the base purple and give it a gloss coat.

3. Give the base a green wash into the cracks with either an acrylic green wash+drying retarder, or oil paint with thinners (may take a couple of passes).

4. Wipe off the excess wash on the base with a cotton bud lightly moist with water for acrylics, or thinners for oil. Matte coat to finish after the wash has dried.

Archived