Dark Disciple's Crimson Slaughter - Obliterator Prototype

Dark Disciple

After years of lurking, admiring and failed attempts I've pledged four units to this years call of Chaos.

I'm hoping to get Krannon the Relentless, 2 Units of Cultists and a 5 man CSM squad painted up over the next three months.

I think I may be doomed.

For my first promised update here is my pledge in full ready for undercoating tonight!

http://i.imgur.com/sq57f5H.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks Forte, I'm really looking forward to it.

A small CoC update, the vow is, short of 2 cultists who needed a little green stuffing, undercoated and ready to go.

http://i.imgur.com/cbAHOhY.jpg

I got a little carried away while I was waiting and made up a test mini for the scheme, the red needs another layer but I'm hopeful.

http://i.imgur.com/RBUEngD.jpg?1

Also I just wanted to show a couple of the cultists

http://i.imgur.com/7WDG0zO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XLTWWYk.jpg

Sorry for my terrible photography and thanks for looking!

Since he's in the group shot anyways, I thought I'd post my first Crimson Slaughter mini to see what everyone thinks.

http://i.imgur.com/u0gYdDD.jpg?2

Unfortunately I had a bit of a mishap coming back from a friends and lost the top half of the power sword.

A bit of bits box rummaging, soul searching and dreaming later ( and finding the Dark Apostle book in a cupboard) and I settled on this:

http://i.imgur.com/oyNTDvx.jpg?2

Hopefully it looks suitable for a force weapon? The Sorcerer is called Narkaroth, self styled Blood-Mage of the Crimson Slaughter.

Fate-Killer

The smell of old blood threatened to overwhelm him, sending the voices in his head into a maddening crescendo which threatened to rob him of consciousness, sanity and form. He felt his hand turn from mundane armour, flesh, muscle, bone and atoms into something far more mutable, malleable and metaphorical. With a savage surge of will, it retained its shape in time to plunge a wicked force blade into the snarling jaws of the daemonic flesh hound bearing down on him. Grunting as the beast caught the blade in its jaws, Narkaaroth poured his hatred into the heavy sabre to snuff out his foe. Pure warp energy ignited as it filled the ancient crystal relays and hexagramic sigils forged into the very structure of the ancient weapon. For an instant, the Blood-Mage’s will battled against the essence of the daemon before reality buckled and the blade sheared in two. The ground raced to meet him, quickly followed by snapping jaws, wreathed in his own psychic fire. All form forgotten, he lashed out with his feet, his hand and the shattered blade fending off the daemon and pummelling it even as it tore through his armour.

Hauling himself from beneath the daemons bulk, Narkaaroth rose to shaky feet in time to see a pack of hooting daemons racing towards him. In the distance he was dimly aware of Lord Kraanon fighting towards the warp breach. Blood leaked from his torn armour, drawing the warp spawn to him. In his head, the voices rose to claim him. Flesh knitted, armour distorted, the shards of his power armour becoming a fanged maw which warped reality around his twisting body with shrieks and screams of hatred and death. Too weak to overcome the forces rising to claim him Narkaaroth gave into the blackness and allowed the voices to claim their Prophet.

He awoke in the Apothicarium amongst the wounded and dying. The daemon wars would likely see them all dead but none would shirk from this crusade. His mind was oddly silent and he savoured it for a moment before rising from the steel cot. A quick assessment of his injuries revealed only remarkably minor wounds.

“We had to sedate you” said a blood stained apothecary as he harvested surprisingly pure progenoids from a deceased brother.

“What?” Narkaaroth asked his mind still clouded from the possession and whatever sedation had been administered.

“You were taken and had to be sedated.” he explained, “From your injuries the possession is the only reason you survived. Had you been anyone else, you would also likely have been implanted.”

Implanted. Even the mention of such a fate sent shivers down his spine. Without another word he left the Apothicarium and made his way to the Librarius, replaying the shattering of his force sword over and over in his mind as he walked.

After several days of fruitless research he had at last made his way to the Forge and found himself before Gorthus himself.

“The blade is beyond repair Corvus” he said shaking his head in disappointment. “How?” he asked.

“A Fleshhound bit it in two” he responded, “Then it tore through my armour as though it were cloth”

“Impossible” the Warp Smith spat with a dismissive waive of his hand, “The damage your harness received is consistent with ectoplasmic scorching perhaps, a force weapon most certainly”.

Narkaaroth’s eyes flicked to the ravaged suit of ancient mark III power armour which had served him for over one hundred and ten standard years. The right arm had been melted to the elbow, the cuirass torn and shredded, the right shoulder guard was bubbled and torn while the pseudo cermaite flesh creature the right guard was becoming hissed in pain and bled ichor from a dozen ragged wounds. That he survived was surprising enough but that he still had a left hand amazed him. In his mind’s eye he saw the fleshhounds gaping maw, ablaze with psychic fire of his own making.

The teeth

“The teeth?” Narkaaroth murmured, supressing a shudder at the return of the whispering voices.

“What of them?” demanded the Warp Smith.

“The teeth” he repeated in a moment of revelation.

“I believe the teeth may be capable of conducting warp energy in much the same as a force weapon”

“An interesting theoretical” Gorthus mused, “Can you obtain some?”

Narkaaroth smiled, “I believe I can”

In the end, obtaining the teeth had been a trivial affair though the Warp Smith’s price for the commission was steep. Eight hundred and eighty eight Fleshhound teeth, the binding of seven Hellbrutes, a gift of nine warp grown flesh constructs along with the skin and blood of sixty six slaves. Much harder had been the long months of waiting for Gorthus summons. In the rare periods of mental quiet he wondered if the revelation had been his own or of the voices making. Now, again standing before the master Warp Smith, Narkaaroth’s discomfort was gone and his anticipation was palpable.

Behind Gorthus, who had lost none of his flair for the dramatic, was a large stone alter the center of which had been carved out to hide the shape of his latest creation. Ritual cruneform writhed with blue warpfire along the alter surfaces, baffling the eye and forcing bile from the stomach up the throat. Over it all was draped a cloth of red silk, the sigil of the warband artfully worked in black at the centre. Behind this stood his remade battle plate, once one of the few whole suits held by the warband, now a mishmash of armour marks and warp tainted ceramite.

“Your theoretical proved correct Corvus” Gorthus intoned.

“The weapon you are about to receive is the pinnacle of months of experimentation and craftsmanship. Your commission has been forged by my own hands, each of the teeth has been individually worked, the blade consecrated in the blood of eight hundred and eighty eight souls and a servant of the changer broken and bound into it. Hexagramic wards have been worked through the blade both in the material and immaterial planes to channel and focus your powers. The bound daemon will amplify any psychic power which enters the blade, allowing the teeth to rend reality itself.”

With a flourish Gorthus pulled back the cloth to reveal a baroque chainsword inlaid with daemonic teeth. Narkaaroth picked up the surprisingly balanced chainsword from its resting place. Despite the weapons mundane, though artfully crafted, appearance he could feel the power of it.

“I give you Fate-Killer” 

Thanks for looking!

Wow, thanks for the kind words guys.

Yes and Yes, the head is the one from the Chaos Terminator kit, no sacrifice required (unless you want to that is), and the forearm and chainsword are from the Raptor kit.

Unfortunately the original head and sword were badly warped and I couldn't get them to straighten.

The sorcerers body comes with a slightly recessed flat area for the head which is missing the neck so all I had to do was trim down the ball joint of the Terminator head.

Is that the helmless head from the Chaos Terminator kit? Because if it is, I may have to steal your idea.

Please steal away!

Thanks for looking and for the encouragement

agreed, flint likes it hot. eager to see your vow finished.

Can't argue.

@ Dark Disciple - I didn't notice how cool that unhelmed head is until you mentioned it. Nice!

Thanks Flint I'm really happy with how it came out, was worried it would look a bit out of proportion as the sorcerer head is surprisingly small.

The plan is to get the army up to 1,500pts  with full unit fluff after the Call with some cannibal raptors, daemon engines, a Helbrute Mayhem Pack and some objective markers made from the new fantasy spirit hosts.

After drooling over some of the conversions here I'd love to make some chaos marine units but the thought of trying to convert the Dark Vengeance chosen terrifies me!

After drooling over some of the conversions here I'd love to make some chaos marine units but the thought of trying to convert the Dark Vengeance chosen terrifies me!

Check out Midnight Runner topic over in the Forge.  He been converting the Dark Vengeance Chosen recently for his Black Legion force.

I am very happy to see this. 

The trick when starting like this is brute force. You need to have fun... absolutely but nothing will inspire you than seeing your first finished squad, or character or whatever. 

There's far too little Crimson Slaughter out there and I'm really looking forward to this. Aside from my own blog I see far too little of this and I will be watching with baited breath.

Also for inspiration I agree with Flint. Add that fiction, and check out others including the BL stuff. They have some easy quick reads but are really good at giving the army character.

Chaos Space Marine Squad CoC WIP Update

Taking Prot's advice and applying a bit of brute force I've tried to tackle the Chaos Marines as a unit and get them all base coated.

I'm hoping that as a minimum I'll get this unit done by the end of the first month, that'll leave me Krannon as a palate cleanser as I try to tackle the blob of cultists looming in the back of the group shot.

http://i.imgur.com/JvWOhRf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1yrAF07.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VuqKsuG.jpg

Thanks for looking

• 2 months later...

Yikes! Its been a long time since I last updated this thread.

I apologise for the bad photos, I took them about 10mins before the deadline last night.

Out of curiosity, can I change the topic title?

Vow 1 - Kranon the Relentless

http://i.imgur.com/fcu6Txl.jpg

Vow 2 - 5 Chaos Space Marines

http://i.imgur.com/Dx3v4kt.jpg

Vow 3 - 10 Chaos Cultists

http://i.imgur.com/eklaUGK.jpg

Vow 4 - 10 Chaos Cultists

http://i.imgur.com/WGeX5vf.jpg

As always thanks for looking.

Yikes! Its been a long time since I last updated this thread.

I apologise for the bad photos, I took them about 10mins before the deadline last night.

Out of curiosity, can I change the topic title?

You should be able to.  Just go to your first post that started the topic & to the edit part.  If not then just post the new title you want & myself or one of the other chaos mods will edit for you.

Really nice job. I know how detailed those Chosen are, they should be like having 2 vows for completion! There's a ridiculous amount of detail on them. I think it took me about 3 weeks just to paint Draznicht. I wish I had a squad done.. I'm jealous!

And nice cultists too... you can never have enough of those!

Thanks IP, I didn't have the full editor open. My bad. 

Your too kind Prot, I wish my Chosen looked half as good as yours!

Once I've gotten a bit better at painting I want to go back to neaten them up and try something along the lines of the diseased horn from the GW Blight Kings painting video.

Good Morning B&C.

Been trying to shake off the post CoC painting hangover, seriously I have no idea how you guys do it!.

On the plus side I've been looking through the thread and have a million and one ideas for new things starting with these guys that I've had stuffed in a drawer for far too long.

http://i.imgur.com/HgyGigU.jpg

A while back I had a chat with Disciple of Caliban Sgt about the Crimson Slaughter and started wondering about how the voices interact with them. Does killing work for everyone or do they need to do something more esoteric such as hurt their own brothers, kill only with long range weapons or eat the flesh of the dead. I've also been wondering about what would happen to a group that decided to give Krannon their oaths, would they inherit the curse?

Please let me know what you think.

The Hungering Brotherhood

The sensation of free falling was not an unpleasant one. The sound of the wind whipping past him, the light of the planet’s star unobscured by the smog choked clouds and the feeling of utter weightlessness as he hurtled ground ward at terminal velocity. His time in the Eye had changed him as it had with all his brothers, gone were the times of leaping strides and stinking promethium. The warp had given him the skies and despite everything it had taken from him, for that small mercy he was thankful.

He opened his eyes as his descent tore a ragged wound in the murk that passed for clouds on this world, analysing the streams of data from his helmets tactical display in a heartbeat. At a thought the parasitic jump pack latched to his back began to spasm, arresting his fall in a surge of warp energy that re-wrote the laws of reality around him. Hanging in the air he glanced at his brothers, marking their target in a smear of green over the unfeeling blue of their helmet display.

“Take them alive” he hissed through the vox.

Then as one, the Raptors of the Hungering Brotherhood dove towards their prey. By the time the sentries had seen them and the first shots had begun to fill the sky it was already too late.

“You are sure it will work?”

It was Mirak who had asked the question in his hissing, desiccated voice. The way he sucked air through rotted teeth when he spoke had a way of setting his teeth on edge.

“It will work” he had replied, “I will lead four of my best and take the Port”.

“If he wrong then we lose four ghouls and our brother’s company at best. At worst we lose one of the daemon flyers.” offered Soban.

He hissed at the flayer’s casual use of the word “ghoul”, much to his brother’s amusement.

“Very well” the Blood-Mage interjected with a wave of his hand, “Insert using one of the Heldrakes and take the star port. Soban ready the cults and stand by for drop pod insertion. If our brother is successful then you will proceed as planned. If he is not then you will brave the Imperial guns and take the port yourself.”

His brother Raptors stood before him, each one having removed their helm, clutching a squirming captive in their claws. It had been a small matter to seize the Space Port from the inside, though it had taken longer than it should have. His breath was coming in ragged gulps now as the voices assaulted his mind with curses, threats and promises of power if he would just give in to them. The pressure building behind his eyes was the promise of a migraine headache though he knew relief would be his soon.

“Brothers!” he cried, forcing down the nausea.

“In the blood of our foes do we find strength. In the bones of our foes do we find purpose. In the flesh of our foes do we find respite.”

With an inhuman howl he plunged his fist into the mortal’s abdomen, pulling bloody chunks of viscera to his waiting mouth. Echoing his howl the Raptors began eating their captives alive until at last the voices were quieted.

“Ghoul”

He paused his grisly meal, smearing the viscera across his face with the back of his gauntlet, before replying to the vox distorted voice.

“Vorden” he replied, “My name is Vorden. You would do well to remember that flayer

Thanks for looking.

Archived