Salamanders 5000pt list

Arik Taranis

I am relatively new to 30k so I though that I would post my army thoughts here to see what I can fix and change

Rite of War : Covenant of Fire

LORD OF WAR

Vulkan - 425pts

HQ

Praetor : Cataphractii Terminator Armour, MC Thunder Hammer, Iron Halo, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Volkite Charger, Digital Laser - 217pts 

Legion Centurion Primus Medicae - Cataphractii Armour, MC Power Weapon, Dragon Scale Stormshield - 130pts

ELITES

Firedrake Terminator Squad : 7 man, 6 Thunder Hammers, 6 dragon Scale Storm Shields, MC Thunder Hammer, Heavy Flamer - 465pts (this squad is with Vulkan)

Firedrake Terminator Squad : 8 man, 7 Thunder Hammers, 7 Dragon Scale Storm Shields, MC Thunder Hammer Heavy Flamer - 520pts (this squad is with the Praetor and the Primus Medicae) 

Legion Mortis Dreadnought : TL Autocannon, Havoc Launcher - 150pts

TROOPS

Legion Tactical Squad : Sergeant with Artificer Armour and MC Power Weapon : 175pts

Legion Tactical Squad : Sergeant with Artificer Armour and MC Power Weapon : 175pts

Legion Tactical Squad : 20 man, Sergeant with Artificer Armour and MC Power Weapon : 275pts

legion Tactical Support Squad : 10 man with Flamer and Sergeant with Artificer Armour 185pts

Legion Tactical Support Squad : with Melta Gun and Sergeant with Artificer Armour 185pts

Legion Tactical Support Squad : 10 man with Volkite Caliver and Sergeant with Artificer Armour 235pts

DEDICATED TRANSPORT

Rhino : with Extra Armour 45pts (for Tactical Squad 1)

Rhino : with Extra Armour 45pts (for Tactical Squad 2)

Rhino : with Extra Armour 45pts (for Tactical Support Squad 1)

Rhino : with Extra Armour 45pts (for Tactical Support Squad 3)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Legion Heavy Support Squad : 10 man, 9 Missile Launches, Hardened Armour, Sergeant with MC Missile Launcher, Augury Scanner and Artificer Armour 320pts

Legion Predator : Heavy Bolter, Executioner Plasma Destroyer and Armoured Ceramite 145pts

Legion Predator : Lascannon, Heavy Conversion Beamer and Armoured Ceramite 185pts

Spartan Assault Tank : Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer Armoured Ceramite and Flare Shield (for Vulkan) - 355

Spartan Assault Tank : Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer Armoured Ceramite and Flare Shield (for Praetor) - 355

Total 4677pts

any thoughts, ideas, get rid of stuff, add stuff what do you think

Thanks LetsYouDown I have made some changes anything else I should change can I save points some how and still keep and strong force suggestions please

Greetings! I'm also pretty new to 30k but I see a couple little ways for you to trim some points from the list and maybe save your wallet a little as well. Maybe someone with more gaming experience can correct me on a few of my suggestions.

First, 30k units generally come with hefty unit creation taxes, so combining some squads is a quick way to save. The Firedrakes, for example, could be dropped to two squads of 8 + 7 with Vulkan in one and the Praetor and Medicae in the other, or however you want it. This saves you having to get a whole third Spartan and uses a lot more of the ridiculously massive transport capacities on the other two. If you switch the Praetor to Terminator armour (probably Cataphractii if he's hanging with the Firedrakes, also in Cataphractii already) you can take these two Firedrake units as Command Squads for Vulkan/the Praetor (I think?) and free up your Elites slots.

You'll lose the inferno pistol option on the Praetor if you give him the new suit  (or even the option of a combi-melta to have the shield), but you'll end up saving 20-30 points for the iron halo and inferno pistol cost. This brings me to my next point: meltas. The issue is if you want many meltas at all, because everyone and their mother has armoured ceramite in 30k. Meltas are certainly buffed by your RoW but you still might want to limit the amount you take. Maybe you're going to be playing against Mechanicum (or the new Solar Auxilia? or xenos scum?), and I'm pretty sure they don't get the armoured ceramite upgrade, so it's up to you. It's certainly more characterful and fluff-appropriate to have meltas.

With the points saved (mostly from the Spartan) you could then maybe combine the two foot-slogging tactical squads into one bigger unit, or add some guys to both squads. Some Contemptor-Mortis might be a good idea too, somewhat useful as an anti-air option to help deal with the odd Angel's Wrath list. Mortis with TL-las or TL-assault cannons + havoc launcher are relatively common choices, although I've noticed Contemptors on their own are relatively easy to pop. The Spartans full of ultra-deadly terminators and characters might will attract the majority of your opponent's shooting though, and/or the plethora of other tanks. 

Taking the general theme of what you've started with and trying to cover the anti-air problem, I've created this.

LoW - 425

Vulkan, Covenant of Fire

HQ - 280

Legion Centurion - 140
Cataphractii, Primus Medicae, Artificer Weapons, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Thunderhammer.

Legion Centurion - 140
Cataphractii, Primus Medicae, Artificer Weapons, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Thunderhammer.

Troops - 1350

Legion Tactical Squad - 280
Serg with Artificer Armor/Weapons, Melta Bombs, and Power Axe

Legion Tactical Squad - 280
Serg with Artificer Armor/Weapons, Melta Bombs, and Power Axe

Legion Tactical Support Squad - 230
Rhino, Serg has Artificer Armor/weapons and melta bombs

Legion Tactical Support Squad - 280
Rhino, Serg has Artificer Armor/weapons and melta bombs, squad has Volkite Chargers

Legion Tactical Support Squad - 280
Rhino, Serg has Artificer Armor/weapons and melta bombs, squad has Volkite Chargers

Elites - 2280

Apothecarion Detatchment - 160
Legion Apothecary, Artificer Armor/weapons, Power Sword, Volkite Charger
Legion Apothecary, Artificer Armor/weapons, Power Sword, Volkite Charger

Contemptor-mortis Dreadnought - 180
Two Kheres Pattern Assault Cannons

Firedrake Terminator Squad - 970
9x Drakes, 8x Shield, 9x Hammer, 1x Heavy Flamer, Master has Shield/M.C. Hammer
Legion Spartan Assault Tank, Armored Ceramite, Flare Shield

Firedrake Terminator Squad - 970
9x Drakes, 8x Shield, 9x Hammer, 1x Heavy Flamer, Master has Shield/M.C. Hammer
Legion Spartan Assault Tank, Armored Ceramite, Flare Shield

Heavy Support - 635

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship - 250
Armored Ceramite, Four Hellstrike Missiles, Reaper Autocannon Battery

Legion Sicarian Battle Tank - 175
Armored Ceramite, Heavy Bolter sponsons.

Sicarian Venator Tank Destroyer - 210
Armored Ceramite 

Total 4970.

My general thoughts here are that you only ever really want to bring a Praetor to get access to the Rite of War. If you're already bringing Vulkan, an additional Primus Medicae provides insane benefits to both squads, as they're some of the toughest units to crack in the game, then you toss in a FnP. Of course, not taking a Praetor and the hideous point cost of a large Firedrake unit means you lose access to the FoC ignoring benefits to using neither bodyguard squad. I went with the elites slot here. Two 10 man Firedrake squads, one with vulkan/medicae, one with medicae means that either can do any job you set them about doing, and they'll do it very well. Predators are fun tanks, but honestly I couldn't not bring a Sicarian Venator along with me wherever I go. Ordinance 2, s10/ap1 on a fast platform is just hilariously awesome. Target your opponent's LoW super heavies and laugh as half of their guns never get a chance to fire. (Of course this makes it priority targets 1, 2, and 3. But that just gives you time to get your Spartans across the board.)

Legion Sicarian Battle Tank can really help lay down some anti-air fire, and if there's nothing for it to hopefully bring down in the air, the Heavy Bolters sync up well with what it should be targeting. I tossed a Legion Fire Raptor gunship in there to help with anti-air and provide some more s7ish ground coverage. The biggest vulnerability in this list is it's lack of dealing directly with opposing heavies other than sending your smash teams in, which is both predictable and counterable. I brought a Contemptor-Mortis over a regular for the additional front armor and the access to the Kheres Assault Cannons, which are awesome. Apothecarions for your 20 man blobs, because FnP is always good.

Archived