Loken, the favored son?

simison

I finished Vengeful Spirit the other day, and enjoyed most of it. But I was left with one major question: since when did Horus think so highly of Loken?

Now, I'll go ahead and say that I don't remember much of the original trilogy and Loken's interactions with the Warmaster. I understand that he was thought highly enough to join the Mournival, yet he was still part of the sacrificial first wave of Isstvan III. So, he's ultimately deemed expendable, but then Horus goes out of his way to bring him back. 

Am I simply forgetting something or am I right in thinking that Loken's importance might have grown due to real-world popularity?

I finished Vengeful Spirit the other day, and enjoyed most of it. But I was left with one major question: since when did Horus think so highly of Loken?

Now, I'll go ahead and say that I don't remember much of the original trilogy and Loken's interactions with the Warmaster. I understand that he was thought highly enough to join the Mournival, yet he was still part of the sacrificial first wave of Isstvan III. So, he's ultimately deemed expendable, but then Horus goes out of his way to bring him back. 

Am I simply forgetting something or am I right in thinking that Loken's importance might have grown due to real-world popularity?

I think he wants Loken because he is still semi-sane. It falls in line with the notion that Horus realizes that he has inhereted the flawed and broken legion (Alpha Legion excluded.....or is it?) and to have a warrior like Loken who is still honorable would be a prize. 

• 4 weeks later...

It's also down to the various tempers that were within the Mournival. Torgaddon is dead, Aximand appears a shadow of his former self, and the remaining members are out of balance, erring more toward the bellicose side of things, which doesn't serve Horus too well when he wants advice from his Mournival. Of the older ones, Loken was a voice of reason, respectful, yet able to ask the hard questions to allow Horus to more easily develop his plans, and not just a brute that wants to kill everything.

In this day and age, Horus is surrounded by either idiots or sycophants. He really can't get much done under those circumstances.

Archived