Sounds good. Those clean torsos will give you plenty or room for freehand. And the Alpha legion helms are nice!

Shaving and sanding off the trim of CSM legs isn't too hard (particularly if you're just doing a small number for a killteam). Likewise you could trim down the gloved hands if necessary....or perhaps you have a lot of loyalist ones spare?

Oh, I don't remember if you make the warband's icon yet...?

Thanks Kier, I think the legs are mostly ok as I don't mind a bit of trim as I can put the gold on that so I'm thinking about mostly taking spike/raised bits off them so they're a bit cleaner. I can then trim some down in different places so there's a lot of variety. I want them all to be similar as part of the same army of course, but also want their individuality to come through - they're a bunch of raging narcissists after all :tongue.:

I have more loyalist bits than I know what to do with, so only the CSM and 30k bits will need sourcing :smile.: As for the icon I've been unable to come up with something so far. I thought about doing a sword, as if they took their initial loyalist icon and Slaaneshed it up but I'm not sure how best to do this. I will collect my transfer sheets (again, no shortage of supply!) and try and pick something.

I've done some more poking and these chequered shoulder pads are nice, perhaps for the aspiring champs? Also the three different versions of damaged pads are really cool and perfect for my planned Beserker counts as - when I get round to them! I'm thinking of grabbing a box of CSM so I can get started as soon as I've finalised the scheme :smile.:

Yeah, I saw them and knew they'd be perfect. Everything just seems to have come together nicely, all I've got to do is decide on a basing scheme and I'm all but set :tu: I've narrowed it down to an urban base, churned mud, or the verdant meadows of a maiden world. I've never done these bases before, which is why they're on the list, so any suggestions would be welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm acquiring the bits I want for my first 10 Marine squad, I'll be adding a FW order to this too to get the heads I want :smile.: I may look at getting the Kakophoni too to make the order more worthwhile but it depends on how loaded my ship is when it comes in. I've also decided how I'll do my counts-as Beserkers but I'll save info on them for later :wink: What's a good build for them, I'm assuming they're best at chewing up enemy infantry so I should focus on that?

Following on from that I should probably look at a commander of some kind. Again is it safe to assume building him to be face punchy is best? Any particular builds/ideas I should consider? I've got some ideas for the Praefactor's model that I'm working on :biggrin.:

Anyway, before I can properly get started I have one more test model I can use up and I need a basing scheme. Unfortunately I'm at a loss what to do. I'd like to experiment one last time as I have the model but I can't think of any variations. I'm leaning towards a mud/urban base but I've no idea where to start :sad.: Any help would be appreciated!

edit: I like these bolters and autocannons, think I'll use them. Good use of heavy weapons?

Edited by WarriorFish

Bought the legion autocannon set too while I was back home, to make Havocs with. I haven't started yet but those who have already done it (his name escapes me now as I type in my phone but he had a 1kSons thread here that is fantastic and his name starts with 'A') mentioned that the CSM backpacks need a bit of work (nothing too serious) to get the ammo boxes to fit, and certain sets of CSM arms need repositioning to use (it was the ones with arrows on the gauntlets or the ones which don't have arrows on the gauntlets! I'll have to check his thread again as I did ask).

I think a biker or jump pack Chaos Lord would be a good HQ. Unlocks your NM as troops and can be a good CC model. Personally I decided on a biker lord.

As for your base, do you envision them fighting Imperials? In which case basing them as if fighting in an Imperial city would be good. Could have Imperial propaganda posters trodden underfoot, Chaos graffiti, etc.

That was one of the ideas I was tossing about before I settled on a Maiden World.

Edit: I don't know much about Berserkers...there was a thread about making good use of them IIRC...I think I heard that they need a decent transport for assault. Think: Landraider or Dreadclaw. Those more experienced on the Khorne side can probably help far more than I. :)

Thanks brothers :smile.: I have some of the original FW older marks so I can use some bits from them to make sure the heavy weapons fit ok. They will use a mixture of marks and armour types so it will won't break the theme. Given I don't really use HBs for my loyalist Marines and Chaos gets access to autocannons I think I'll drop the HBs. That's a Havoc squad done right? :tongue.:

The Sunder will fight anyone who's looking for one, plus those who aren't so I don't want to tie their bases to any one particular foe. I'm thinking about doing a mix of mud and urban if that makes any sense. So the churned mud of the open field, but with bits of debris and city ruins thrown in as well so maybe it looks like fighting in a city that has see war for so long it's not so much of a city anymore! Plus it'd be a good excuse to work more on my mud/weathering techniques, plus there is this tutorial :smile.:

A jump lord is a great idea, I want to run Raptors too (and I may use the proper models, albeit with a little de-spiking) so he run scuttle around with them. Plus I was planning on using some Sanguinary Guard bits for the preening Praefactor so some nice wings on him could look cool.

I will come back to the Berserkers later as they can wait, I need to get some models done before worrying about adding more! I also need to sort out a symbol for them, so I will dig out my transfer collection and see what I can do.

So it seems FW really likes my plans and wants to help out, the White Scar helmets are also really cool! I love how they're separating the parts so people like me can get raiding without unwanted parts/expense. For once I'm glad I've been too busy to make my FW order as I think I'd like some of these too - would certainly give me ample supplies for the future. Plus pay day has rolled in, so I'll aim to make my order this weekend :)

Time is sadly tight of late but I hope to have something to show as soon as I gather my bits. Until then I'll try and work on some basing schemes :tu:

Yeah, good fortune that I hadn't made my order yet :) These will need a little bit of editing I think but nothing drastic. I've got some delays on other bits I'm getting so having to wait a week before these are out isn't an issue. I should have more free time to devote to 40k projects next month so it should work out well :tu:

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I have some bits heading my way that should arrive tomorrow or Saturday so in theory I can bash some models together next week. Nothing special just start on a few bolter Marines that can populate squads once I decide on builds. Still got my special bits order to do and the FW one (I want the Leviathan Siege Dread now so that'll be delayed as I build the fund up to cover it...) but this isn't an issue as I plan on mixing and matching various bits anyway :smile.:

However this still leaves me with the issue of sorting a basing scheme :confused: I have these two chaps:

gallery_30308_10249_25628.jpg

both based with basic modelling sand but that's as far as I've got. Would an urban basing scheme look ok, or does that need more than just sand? I'd like to do something a bit more than usual, but I want it to look good too. I'm drawing a complete blank so any help would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

I think they deserve more than just sand bases!

Looking at the colour scheme a few ideas came to mind:

A. Black marble with grey or green veins.

B. Urban, rubble and clutter-heavy. Graffiti and propaganda on (fallen) walls and posters trampled underfoot.

C. Hive innards/space hulk - good if you take your kill team into Zone Mortallis sometime ;)

D. Volcanic.

E. Forest - either good old greenery or make it autumn with lots of leaves underfoot.

There's a few ideas. :)

Huzzah, my bits have arrived:

gallery_30308_10604_28392.jpg

Just a selection but these will mostly be for my CSM :smile.: I'm going to finish my Ven Dread first but after that it's time for some proper brothers of the Sunder :wink: Got plenty of HH bits so I should be able to get a good mix of eras/marks/etc :biggrin.:

Got some plasticard around somewhere, I'll hook it out to act as some pavement or other such things to spruce the tester model bases up prior to painting. Should be able to get a good experiment together with that :thumbsup:

Before I start messing with some models I thought "what the hell" and played with army lists a little. I imagine this probably isn't a very good list but I thought you've got to start somewhere. For 500pts I can get a Lightning Claw Lord and two CSM squads with meltas, all with the MoS of course.

I'd like to run a primarily infantry based army so how terribad is my start? Sonic weaponry would be cool should I be looking at Noise Marines or save them for later? Are Heavy Bolters worth bothering with at all? I should have thought of that before getting the two BaC ones but they look so cool...

I think, at 500 points, I'd want some more manoeuvrability.

My 500pts list is:

5NM w/Blast master 125pts x2 = 250pts

5 bikers, champion w/melta bombs, 2x melta gun 135pts

Chaos lord w/bike, Mark of S, lightning claw 115pts

Not a lot of bodies but some good firepower.

Rather than a Chaos Lord (which I took to unlock NM as Troops), why not take a sorcerer? More useful (like librarians are often more useful than captains for loyalists). I hear that unmarked is best so you have more choice with Powers.

On the subject of heavy bolters, the blast master (admittedly thrice the price) gets you some S8 AP3 blasts ignoring cover and causing pinning checks (and the fact that the other squad members are essentially ablative wounds should help the weapons survive longer) or the other fire mode is the equivalent of a two-shot heavy bolter with ignores cover, pinning and isn't Heavy.

Just a couple of thoughts there :)

Oh, if you decide you don't want heavy bolters, why not convert them into autocannons? Stick some long gargoyle-ended barrels on them and there you go.

Thanks for the tips I do plan on having a Sorcerer, but I really want to model Yjun up. He's too much of a preening peacock to resist :P Maybe a couple of Noise Marine Squads and a CSM squad would be better, keep my infantry theme too? Perhaps I'll make a HB squad or two of CSM and have them tackle enemy infantry, or put them with a couple of autocannons on Havocs. They can be magnetised easily enough so I can decide later :)

Can't believe I missed this thread.
Welcome to the right side of the Long War Warriorfish ;).

Thoughts, in no particular order

Berzerkers aren't in a great spot right now, but if you do want to use them, they need an assault transport and threat saturation.

Sonic blasters don't synergize well with blastmasters or doom sirens really. In fact, they are almost always overpriced and a poor decision. In a kill team however, you might find use for what is most frequently a reduced range ignores cover bolter.

Your scheme looks pretty good, the white is fantastic. I really prefer the guy on the right with the black coming though, although you might get a similar effect with nuln oil.

Also, and I don't know how feasible it would be, but I feel like blue grass or blue tile  bases could look really cool with your scheme.

Good timing Tee, just finished mocking up the first models :smile.: The model on the left is using Nuln Oil, which is easier/faster to do and doesn't look that different so I'll probably go with that.

gallery_30308_10249_12650.jpg

Couldn't find the CSM box bits I'm sure I have somewhere but I've got plenty of bits to experiment with for the moment. Probably need to find them though so I can make them look a little more chaosy. The problem is that GW goes mad over spikes and horns for CSM but I don't like them... so I'm not sure how successful that might be but some chaosy bolters should go a long way. They shouldn't look too chaosy as while they're renegades for Slaanesh unfortunately for Tee care nothing for the Long War :tongue.:

I've been thinking of the bases, and a mix of some tiles from plasticard and maybe a bit of sand might look pretty cool for a basing scheme?

Thanks for the link and interesting (and long) topic, given me a few things to ponder :thumbsup:

I was out and about today grabbing some paints I need for Pride of the Guard, so I've a nice collection of bronze colours now. Might use them in place of gold on a few Marines and bits maybe for variety? Something else fell into my hands too...

gallery_30308_10249_31274.jpg

I was chatting to the staffer about various things and my CSM ideas and he gave me a brilliant idea for tiling type stuff for bases - why waste valuable plasticard when a cheap pack of plastic coated cards will achieve the same result for a fraction of the price? So I went a couple of doors down and grabbed a pack for the Dark Princely sum of 99p :biggrin.: I'll see about mixing up the bits on my tester models a bit more and get back to you :smile.: