Combining the Mk.4 and the CSM should give you some very good looking marines. And looking good is what the Dark Prince wants ;)

I'd never thought of using playing cards as a source of cheap plasticard! Must remember that one.

I always use thick card so the texture comes up when I drybrush it, but if you want it nice and smooth those cards should be great.

I know, it was so simple but you don't think of these things until someone tells you :P I was musing on a few other basing things while I was in GW, they seem to have proper sand now but I'm tempted to try the textured paint stuff as that feels like it might fit with the tiles so I'm going to give it some more thought as I work on my Marines :) Just got to play with mixing and matching armour bits to see what works...

Couldn't resist playing a bit, came up with these two:

gallery_30308_10249_30784.jpg

So for all four:

gallery_30308_10249_3686.jpg

Starting to look like a good mix of bits now there's a few of them together. I think overall they should look a little more loyalist than traitor and the loyalist backpacks seem to help round that off nicely so unless anyone has any suggestions otherwise I'll assemble a fifth Marine, tidy up the bits and get some undercoating done! :biggrin.:

Nice work.

I agree on the backpacks. I only keep the `arms` on my noise marines' backpacks (and in their cases I point the vents forwards). Others get their backpacks converted to look more like loyalist ones (or for my bikers I point the vents further back).

As Teetengee said, the rightmost one (from our POV) is very nicely posed.

Couldn't resist playing a bit, came up with these two:

gallery_30308_10249_30784.jpg

Just a bit of personal taste, but when I use the shoulderpad with the...flange(?)...the mark 2 one?...on only one side, I always put it on the left shoulder, figuring that side will be facing the enemy more and the additional armour would protect the head more on that side.

I thought about that, but I want them to look more different and individual so variety will be the main thing. I primed them all:

gallery_30308_10249_38364.jpg

Also started work on one, just to make sure I remember the methods:

gallery_30308_10249_400.jpg

Turns out I missed the wash step so that's drying now, but the process is always up for review as I start doing it properly. Sadly daylight doesn't last long so that's enough for today I think. Great to finally get going on the army, you can't really see from these pictures but I've cut up some card to work as tiles. I've decided to use the texture stuff for the rest of the base and have it a grey colour, just a matter of deciding the tile colours. Maybe a blue-grey?

Yeah it works great, I hope they do them as a kit I'll be right in front of you in the queue if so! :biggrin.:

My enthusiasm got the better of me, I may well regret this in the morning when I see lots of errors but he's almost done:

gallery_30308_10249_5697.jpg

Eye pieces need doing along with the base, I'll get one of the technical paints for that. I'll be sure to have some daylight for his proper finished picture :smile.: I've also been mulling over a chapter symbol for them. I was thinking of mixing a sword with the Slaanesh symbol but I realised I might have made life difficult by having a white left pauldron...

He looks great! :tu:

I think a sword combine with the Slaanesh symbol would be very good. Perhaps not doable here but I've often wondered if one could combine existing Chapter icon/other decals and get something which still looked good (and not obviously a mashup).

e.g. Using the wings of the Blood Angels decals and a skull decal, or the sword from Dark Angel decals and BA wings.

One idea: use the Slaanesh icons from the CSM decal sheet and freehand them into swords. Since you're doing just a Kill Team (for now. We all know it'll snowball :D) it wouldn't be too hard.

Thanks, no mistakes to see this morning either :) I was giving this some more thought and maybe the colour usage for squads I mused on before might be a good way to add some colour to the pad but I'm not sure if I want to do that now. There's no rush as it can be done at any point so the priority is more models :D

Next task is to assembly line the remaining four along with the last bits on this Marine. Looking forward to seeing them together when they're done :)

I was poking through my transfer collection (more of a hoard really) and something seems off about the one I got in the CSM box. They seem overly large and repetitive, with hardly any Slaaneshi ones at that? :confused: Not sure if there's anything I can do with that, I'm sure I have some CSM transfers from before that weren't so big so I'll try and find them.

I decided to mix it up a little and do another small fluff piece:

My Lord [REDACTED],

Following your orders I have compiled the most recent of report and processed the available data. As you expected there is plenty of information on them but little to give us any reliable intelligence to act upon presently. For your reference I summarise my report now:

• I do not believe this "Yjun" is the original Chapter Master of the Swords of Victory, but not enough to say without doubt so I must reserve judgement for now
  • As expected your glorious assault on their home world those years ago lead to the capture of a great deal of their resources, they currently operate as primarily infantry based as a result
  • However they appear busy resupplying in their raids and contracts, but I am unable to identify in what manner though it seems they have yet to take to the daemonic to any notable degree
  • Unfortunately they seem to be operating as a cohesive and unified force much in the same way as prior to their fall, no doubt due to their leader's influence so I am forced to report there has been no fracturing of strength or internal divisions to weaken them
  • They are very nomadic, appearing with no discernible pattern likely triggered by the most potential gain or a worthy foe but not in a way we have yet been able to predict
  • They have battled other traitor forces with some regularity, I believe this is to show their strength and establish themselves in whatever the traitor's excuse is for a hierarchy
  • I have been unable to confirm if some planetary governors have hired them, presumably unaware of their true nature but I will let you know the very moment I should find the glimmer of evidence for immediate sanction

The full archives are attached as per usual instruction. Until I receive word otherwise I will continue my work but I fear that you may have to wait for the Emperor's Providence for the final reckoning. When this time comes I know you will prevail once more but all the same I will pray that He keeps you safe so that you may continue your great works.

In His name,

[REDACTED - AGENT REF:IXKB90JK13]

Thanks, my collection of bits is working well :smile.: Though it does mean I'm not entirely sure what I have... I'm sure there's enough for 20 Marines which will give me a good base with two CSM squads. I want to get another Sanguinary Guard box, that'll give me the bits I need for some more Honour Guard and to make Yjun, but I'll definitely add a Sorcerer too once I've come up with some ideas for him :biggrin.:

Otherwise I'm not sure. Maybe a couple of Rhinos and Raptors look pretty cool, and I'd like that squad of FW autocannons. Terminators would be nice I've found myself leaning towards the Tartaros style now the MkIV helmets are working so well. I'm mostly concerned with what I think looks cool but I'm familiar with Marines so I'll know how to have them working together. Not really into the daemon stuff as it doesn't suit their background but maybe some Daemonettes to go with the Sorcerer at some point?

• 2 weeks later...

My first Sunder Marine is done save for a few additions I've yet to finalise/decide on like transfers and maybe weathering. He's been done since the weekend but I've been waiting to be free during daylight to take a better picture:

gallery_30308_10249_7322.jpg

Can see (mostly) the eye piece colours and the base turned out well. I think he looks great so I'm looking forward to getting my first squad together in the not too distant future :biggrin.:

Thanks Roland, everything has come together nicely just need to get the others done :smile.: That will hopefully help with him appearing relatively loyalist, getting a mix of bits that didn't immediately appear as either loyalist or traitor didn't work so hopefully a variety of bits across more models will make them look a little more ambiguous.

Thanks guys, don't worry more will be on the way :smile.: I'm planning on doing a Marine for the Boxing Day Bash all things going to plan :thumbsup: Emperor's Children with a Fuegan Orange wash on the pink, Auric Gold for linings. There's also a bronze on the bolt shells (Runelord I think) but you can't really tell the difference :tongue.: Plan is to get a full 10 model squad in, with magnetised champ and special weapon and then take stock before working on the next bit. Chances are I'll get excited and work on a lord after that though :laugh.:

I'd like to do something a bit more special for the champ, but I'm not sure about my previous ideas. I thought maybe Sang Guard heads, or would that detract from my lord's fanciness a bit? Alternatively I have a couple of the plumed Mk IV Maximus BaC helmets, but maybe too loyalist?

I've been giving some thought to the Sunder over the Christmas break, and I think you're right Sang Guard masks would work well. Plus I'll have loads of them spare as I want another box so good use of them and I'll have no shortage of Champs bits :) I've also been pondering my FW order in the new year.

I may reign back on the helmets now I have a good bits stash, might just grab one or two sets or perhaps drop them entirely? What about keeping them for a special squad, like Chosen for example to make them stand out a bit?

Since the Leviathan has come out and laid siege to my heart that's on the FW list so I'll be looking at a couple of orders during next year so I can spread it out. Which is just as well as after the first Marine I find myself really drawn to the Tartaros TDA. I'd have to come up with a way to make them look a little more Chaosy though as well as add variety in weapons so it's not just PFs but there will be time for pondering that as some rank and file must come first.

Anyway, just wanted to canvas for some opinion and any suggestions/help that may be offered. Otherwise I need to focus on getting the under coated models done, I've not got much 40k done over the holidays which is frustrating :(

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress has been made, but sadly a mistake on the third has put a stop to painting:

gallery_30308_10249_3973.jpg

So two are getting quite close to finished, I'll need to figure out a good way to strip the third. Unless he wants his pink and white back to front... fourth is probably thinking he got off lightly :P

I thought about that, but deep down I'd always know it was because I made a mistake so I'm not sure... You might be right, it'd probably look better if he wasn't the only one with flipped colours and I do want to start working in personal touches and stuff on the Marines so this could be a part of that. Yjun stipulated the white and pink but perhaps he never said (or cared) which side is which? :tongue.:

For the moment I'm going to concentrate on the first two see how much I can get done on them. Now they're getting close I'm eager to see more than one finished Marine together to get a bit of a feel of how the army will look on the table :smile.: