Thanks Kier, I'm really pleased with how everything is coming together :biggrin.: I'm taking a short modelling break this week as I catch up on other things, but I am eager to get my 500pts list completed so they're high on the priority! As much as I want to do Yjun I'm increasingly drawn to doing a Sorcerer for the HQ... I'll see what takes my fancy I suppose? Or should that be see what Slaanesh wants? :wink:

• 1 month later...

Thanks Squigs :smile.: Now I've got the other models done for my game yesterday I'm free once again to focus on my Chaos :biggrin.: I'm not sure what my plan is yet, I quite liked the bite sized approach before but on the other hand I'm keen to get them table ready so maybe I'll try and assemble 10 more Marines and see what my paint brushes say :smile.:

The second squad is officially started, with a melta and bolter Marine:

gallery_30308_10249_73655.jpg

Got to use the spare melta I had magnetised, I'm aiming for five Marines then I'll think about slapping some paint on. This squad will be a mirror of the first so I can get them on the table a bit sooner, I can easily add more weapon choices etc later :)

• 2 weeks later...

A productive evening working on the Sorcerer, I couldn't resist after getting the paints I wanted today:

gallery_30308_10249_81714.jpg

Very pleased with him so far, even though it's only three colours! I need a colour for the cloth though and I'm stumped currently. The eyes will be green, and the rosettes likely red but I feel the purple needs to be offset with some colour somehow.

Any suggestions would be most welcome :smile.:

A productive evening working on the Sorcerer, I couldn't resist after getting the paints I wanted today:

gallery_30308_10249_81714.jpg

Very pleased with him so far, even though it's only three colours! I need a colour for the cloth though and I'm stumped currently. The eyes will be green, and the rosettes likely red but I feel the purple needs to be offset with some colour somehow.

Any suggestions would be most welcome :smile.:

I personally love Ushabit Bone as cloths color and feel it would work great for this guy as well. ;)

Warrior Fish, back in 2000 when I was getting into the hobby I was in the same boat. I knew I wanted an IG army with some purple in it.  I got lots of good advice from an artist 40Ker and from my mom who has studied lots of color theory.  As you know I went with a purple and yellow army and I subsequently learned a lot about what hues (pure color on the color wheel) work best as grounding 3rd colors.

I agree with SFPanzer that a neutral white such as Ushabti bone is a very pleasing complement for purple yellow.

Here is an article explaining why:

https://www.quora.com/What-colors-go-with-gold-purple-and-white

Also, as the article notes, a yellow orange is one of a few other options as well. 

Have fun picking your color!

Thanks guys, he's turning out well do far :) I did consider such colours or white but as I've already got a similar colour on the bands (Rakarth) I wonder if it might end more as more of the same? A suggestion was made for a red of some kind, either a darker crimson or magenta colour? I think that could work and add some colour to the model to work with the existing ones, as the purple and gold are pretty strong?

If you wanna make your nipple nettes look more daemonic without altering the fleshtone (looks good btw) try painting on chaos runes so it looks like the skin has been cut away (google Hellraiser Wiretwins to see what I mean).

Oh and as for the 'bone' loincloth, try shading with colours you wouldnt normally use so it stands out from other bits you may have painted bone.

Edited by SlaveToDarkness

I've done a bit of work on the Sorcerer, gave the purple a wash and started on the cloth:

gallery_30308_10249_4823.jpg

The Tallarn Sand was going to be a base for some bone but now I see it I like it. Does it work? I'm thinking that if so I'll need a wash and a layer at the least, but obviously I want to keep the same general colour. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Wow, ok - not been on the B&C for a bit and look what I've missed! :D I'm afraid I'm out of likes but I'm really liking this colour scheme. It screams Thousand Sons yet with a twist, I'm looking forward to him being fullf painted, not to mention the first squad being complete - that should be quite the spectacle :tu:

I was thinking about Sepia (I have the old Griffyn one or whatever it's called somewhere), maybe a bit more layering with Tallarn to clean it up/add a raised area and an Ushabti Bone highlight?

I think the box came with some transfers, so I'll see what that may have. Plus I have lots of SoB transfer sheets if I want to get lazy with scripts :wink:

He's mostly done now:

gallery_30308_10249_43350.jpg

I'm not entirely sold on the yellow cloth though, I'm wondering if I should have gone for a white to give it some colour/contrast :confused: Trouble is I've already repainted them once, not sure if another few coats would work :sad.: I'll have to sleep on it and see what I think tomorrow...

I think I need to leave the model for a bit once I complete the remaining bits see what I think, but maybe a lighter yellow?

I mostly followed the guide for the eyes and gems. Eyes are a bit of Ulthuan Grey with Waywatcher Green glaze (it would look better with a steadier hand to get it central), gems are Waystone Green on top of Ironbreaker. The guide said Stormhost Silver but I don't have any, I think it might be a special paint for this sort of thing though so maybe I need to get some for the gems?

If I remember correctly Stormhost Silver is the newest, even-brighter-than-Runefang colour they brought out. I've used Runefang under my clear/gem paints and been happy with them. You could try Stormhost if you want a brighter look.

I'm calling him finished - for now.

gallery_30308_10249_23401.jpg

Maybe with a bit of time - and a couple of Rubrics to stand next to - I'll get an idea of what I want to do with the robe colour. In the meantime I'm back to the Sunder and I've got the base white on the two Marines so I'll see what I can get done on them :smile.: