After some stop and starts due to spray cans...

gallery_30308_10249_1567.jpg

It may only be a base white coat, but it feels like huge progress not just in how much faff was needed to get here but also so long since I seem to have painted any Chaos. Feels good to be back painting, so I'll try and get these sorted soon. Then I can address the Daemon Prince :biggrin.:

Well, I did pre-order the Thousand Sons codex Saturday morning... I had completely forgotten about the Rhino but once these Marines are done I'll have a solid Brigade 750pts force to build upon so it might be something different to break things up a bit. I'll be finishing the Daemon Prince first though, because apparently I can't have enough HQ choices for the Sunder :tongue.: He might be the lead in to my Daemons I need too - maybe I should change my warp sorcery to steal time instead :laugh.:

I've now completed the Marines :smile.:

gallery_30308_10249_53390.jpg

The Champ has a magnetised bolter and chainaxe, and there's a magnetised plasma I accidentally cropped too (you can just see the top :P ). This sorts me for the army lists I need, and also means 1,000pts of Chaos are battle ready now :smile.: I will return to the plasma Marine (and give him the shoulder pad I forgot) and Daemon Prince next, but I have some Bullgryns to finish first.

Thanks Tallarn :smile.: That's mostly Forge World's doing to be fair, but the body did seem to lend itself nicely to such a pose :smile.:

With these done I have my intended two CSM squad builds sorted so I'm in a good position with the core of the army. Once I get the Cultists done (quite high on my CSM list) that should sit me pretty to build to higher point levels. Assuming I can stop making HQs... and working on other armies :laugh.:

Thanks Kier! I'll get the batreps from the weekend up tonight hopefully. Along with the Prince the Cultists are high on my agenda. I'm thinking that a mix of colours (probably more melon and white featuring) could be cool, along with many different colours for hair.

I grabbed a bag of Tartaros Terminators and the Power Axe weapon set, so more Kindred will be on their way later too :biggrin.:

Thanks hushrong :smile.: I start with black primer and base it with a rough Ceramic White light coat - example here:

gallery_30308_10249_1567.jpg

It's sort of like a lazy cross between a wet and dry brush :tongue.: This is then built up with a couple of more normal coats for a nicer covering. Finally a topping up coat is applied once all other colours are done, though this is usually mostly aimed at touching up mistakes and lining in a bit nicer (especially after the wash to turn the pink to melon). I originally used White Scar for final coats but on smaller areas like this you can't really see the difference so I reserve that for character models and the like :smile.:

The Sunder travelled to Nottingham once more to show everyone who's boss!

#1/3 500pts vs Black Templars

Mission: No Mercy

The Sundering Call

Hidden Content
++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [86pts]: 3. Unholy Fortitude, Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [148pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
8x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol

Chaos Space Marines [ 148pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
8x Marine w/ Chainsword

Chaos Space Marines [118pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Chainaxe
6x Marine w/ Boltgun
Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Black Templars (from memory)

Hidden Content
Lieutenant

- Primarch's Wrath

- Powerfist

Crusader Squad

- power axe x2

Rhino

- stormbolter x2

Crusader squad

- melta

- multimelta

Rhino

- stormbolter x2

Deployment

Hidden in their metal boxes the BL deployed quickly but I managed to nab first turn in the roll off. Things would be fairly simple: I'd need to get up the field as quickly as possible!

gallery_30308_10077_12774.jpg

Turn 1

There's little point in trying to shoot, so I advance up the table taking cover where possible but hedging my bets on which way I might need to go.

gallery_30308_10077_52320.jpg

The BT choose to rely on the withering hail of stormbolter rounds, but the Sunder hold strong without serious casualties.

gallery_30308_10077_29443.jpg

Turn 2

Now is the chance to do something, moving up I make full use of Yjun's aura and unleash over-charged plasmas, plinking away the Rhinos. The combat squad is close enough to charge and does so, achieving little after the casualties sustained on the advance but the main thing is keeping it from shooting. The left flank's combat squad charges in and plinks another wound or two off.

In return the Templars disembark. The right flank's chainsword squad gets stuck in to my bolter squad along with the Lieutenant, where the left's melta squad starts advancing up behind the terrain towards my deployment zone. The Lieutenant takes a toll on the bolter squad but they hold on, the Champ doing his bit,

Turn 3

Yjun and the bolter squad moves up to join the fray. Plasma pistols blast some Templars down and - naturally - Yjun chops the Lieutenant down with ease. That drastically reduces my opponent's hitting power without the powerfist or wound re-rolls. With Veterans of the Long War I make combat work for me and the Templars are getting beaten.

gallery_30308_10077_70199.jpg

To make things worse, their own turn is lacklusture. The left flank's Rhino pulls back to let the returning melta squad shoot but at long range they fail to do any damage. Combat goes badly, with the Sunder reaping a bloody toll.

gallery_30308_10077_107874.jpg

Turn 4

The left squad moves up to chase the Rhino, Yjun advancing in support to let them overcharge with less risk reducing the Rhino's performance further still when they charge. The right flank goes smoothly, the remaining Templar shot down by pistols and the squads charging into the Rhino.

gallery_30308_10077_35040.jpg

From there it's mostly mopping up. The right flank Rhino attempts to withdraw but gets plasma'd in return, and the rapid firing melta squad only kills two after the left flank's Rhino withdraws. Pouring fire in and charging has the Sunder cutting down the Templars and Yjun's impending arrival has all hope fail. My opponent concedes - first game's victory to the Sunder!

They were, the second was my favourite because it came down to literally the last rolls of the game - if Yjun failed to kill the Helbrute my opponent would have stolen the cheekiest of draws :laugh.:

The final game has me facing someone without "Black" in their name - but they need to learn the Sunder's peerlessness all the same!

#3/3 500pts vs Iron Warriors

Mission: Deathmatch!

The Sunder

Hidden Content
++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [500pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [86pts]: 3. Unholy Fortitude, Intoxicating Elixir, 2x Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh, Warlord

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [148pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
8x Marine w/ Chainsword

Chaos Space Marines [ 148pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
8x Marine w/ Chainsword

Chaos Space Marines [118pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Boltgun, Chainaxe
6x Marine w/ Boltgun
Marine w/ special weapon: Plasma gun

Iron Warriors

Hidden Content
Doctor Doom

- Prescience

- Diabolic Strength

CSM Squad

- Combi-bolter

- Plasma

- Heavy Bolter

Terminators

- 2x Lightning claws

- Reaper autocannon

- Powerfist

Deployment

I try and keep my forces together once more, but it becomes quickly apparent that my opponent will do the same - and not be moving from his hilltop garden. Looks like it's leg day for the Sunder again :tongue.:

gallery_30308_10077_23944.jpg

Turn 1

Good advance rolls have a couple of squads moving up quickly, but Yjun and a combat squad lags behind.

gallery_30308_10077_7701.jpg

With Prescience a lot of nasty fire comes downwind, but mostly on the front two squads. At least my opponent doesn't move backwards, so next turn should be charge time :smile.:

Turn 2

The lagging squad and Yjun scurry up, letting me use his aura for shooting. Plasma rolls well, but so does my opponent's armour saves... One drops and one takes a wound but in return with Diabolic Strength (which also adds an attack) the Terminators are incredibly nasty. The Sunder aren't the type to back down from a fight though and the squads hold on!

gallery_30308_10077_30459.jpg

Turn 3

My reserves can finally arrive, and plasma pistols begin to turn the tide which comes crashing down as Yjun charges - the Terminators are going down though they inflict three wounds on Yjun. The reserve squad lost three Marines to the CSM squad's fire last turn, so are eager to return the favour but can't reach, instead going for the Terminators.

With no shooting to do, the CSM charges into combat but can't achieve much even with Diabolic Strength. The combat squad is all to keen to return the complement, my opponent's saves the opposite of mine under the auspices of Veterans of the Long War and Iron Warrior bodies start to mount. The Terminators finally die freeing my forces up to press on.

gallery_30308_10077_86104.jpg

Turn 4

The lone Champion moves up with Yjun, but his sole achievement was not dying despite the odds as he killed nothing! That's useful in it's own way though. The chainaxe champ on the other hand was amazing, chopping down Terminator and Marine without pause - perhaps they might get their weapons swapped :tongue.: The Iron Warriors are outnumbered and out fought, their final play being to take out Yjun with force axe before conceding. It's a hat-trick for the Sunder :smile.:

gallery_30308_10077_60687.jpg

I had a blast at Warhammer World again, got some great games in and also marked the occasion of reaching 1000pts of battle ready Chaos :smile.: I learned a few things along the way too. After last time I decided that I probably needed plasma pistols in my combat squads, keep costs down a bit and give them some more punch in combat - it's where they want to be after all.

I also got to properly experience the benefits of the Slaanesh/Emperor's Children perk. A squad built to fight getting to fight first almost all the time is very nice, but you can suffer getting there especially if your opponent is more shooty. Auras go a long way too, so my apparent preference for working on HQ models has a use :tongue.: As do Sorcerers, in the last game I thought I was going to get shot to pieces by augmented shooting before I got close enough but I managed to use VotLW to deliver a hammer blow with my mostly intact combat squad - along with my Lord's arrival and his excellent combat capabilities I got the upper hand.

Speaking of the devil - and I think all my opponents learn to think of him as such - Yjun is a beast. While he needs to get into combat of course when he does he hurts people very badly. I can only imagine the terror my Daemon Prince will evoke with his lightning claw equivalent and the Intoxicating Elixir...

I also see how effective Rhinos are especially at lower points, so I'll be getting mine done soon, but on the other hand they're not the be all and end all. I had more Marines which - with support - made a difference in the end. I'm really enjoying the Sunder, they play very differently to my other armies (even my loyalist Marines) and I'm enjoying being able to out-combat people.

Last but not least, no visit to the Holy Land is complete without some loot:

gallery_30308_3239_66667.jpg

Some Tartaros Terminators and a Power Axe set to give me all the Kindred I'll need :biggrin.: I also grabbed myself a Thousand Sons t-shirt to flaunt my dedication to them. 2018 is the year of Chaos for me, so that includes using my new TSons codex too...

It does look like the Sunder do well, though I think a fair amount rests on Yjun's shoulders - but with his ego I'm sure he likes that ;)

Diabolic Strength was on the entire unit; I didn't have a psyker and have never used it. Now you've said that, I think it only works on the one model?

Excellent battle reports I enjoyed reading them (and looking at the pictures) - congratulations on the wins! I'm also pleased you're finally thinking about a Rhino :biggrin.: Your swarming horde of Marines seems to be very effective with your opponents struggling to deal with them. At higher points it might be different with more killing potential in lists so I'm interested to see how the Sunder perform once you get more models painted :happy.: