Not yet, but I have started musing on some words. I've got an idea on their general attitude and background, I'll work on that some more and see if any names jump out. If not I can always ask for suggestions :smile.: It'll need to be a good name to reflect their opinion of themselves :laugh.:

I'm really looking forward to starting painting, hopefully the difference between the idea in my head and reality isn't too great :tongue.: Currently Nurgle seems to be trying to recruit me though... 'tis the season to be ill :sad.:

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally been able to make use of the great sunlight we've been having this week, here's my progress on the first test:

gallery_30308_10249_16761.jpg

Not a great picture but that's normal :tongue.: I hope to have him mostly finished today, so far painting the pink and white has gone quite well but my plan to try and have a "bleeding" edge didn't work. I have an idea for trying a different method which I will give a go after I've done the gold but so far progress is better than expected :smile.:

I'm not worrying about everything (especially as some parts of the snap fit are of questionable quality) and though I have a couple of ideas for the basing that can come later. I still have another two tester models after all :biggrin.:

I have finally been able to make use of the great sunlight we've been having this week, here's my progress on the first test:

gallery_30308_10249_16761.jpg

Not a great picture but that's normal :P I hope to have him mostly finished today, so far painting the pink and white has gone quite well but my plan to try and have a "bleeding" edge didn't work. I have an idea for trying a different method which I will give a go after I've done the gold but so far progress is better than expected :)

I'm not worrying about everything (especially as some parts of the snap fit are of questionable quality) and though I have a couple of ideas for the basing that can come later. I still have another two tester models after all :D

0.o very nice. And not easy colors to work with.

Thanks Kilo, I don't seem to be having any problems with either colour which is nice! Maybe all this painting is finally paying off? :tongue.: The sun is sadly fading now but that's ok as I've finished! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_87180.jpg

Well 3 out of 4 pictures is good for me... Using the black wash to do the black edging bits turned out quite well but I'm not sure how practical it is in the long run. Fortunately I have another 2 models to test with but I am very happy with how this Marine turned out. I will experiment with slightly different pinks too, as I have something good already I can afford to be brave/silly and see what happens :smile.:

This Marine has small eyes so you can't really see the green and blue eyes (idea stolen from Kier), but as he turned out so nicely I think I might base him. I was thinking about either a churned mud and/or snow base, what do you think? I've never done anything too fancy with bases but now is the time to try :biggrin.:

Thanks Strazhakov, I didn't find it too difficult - probably the great sunlight and doing something new helped but I'm far from a great painter. I have poor eyesight and in fact I'm worse than usual currently as I've got an injured hand so I am sure you could do just as well if not better! :)

I'm already imagining tanks in the scheme, before I've even finalised it but that's a tread head for you :lol: I'm going to try different washes on the pink to see how it looks, the one above is Fuegan Orange which worked better than I thought. I'm thinking of Baal Red next, though I regret undercoating them all at once as the black undercoat ended up pointless here but I'm sure I can experiment in some way to make it worth it.

I've started coming up with fluff ideas too, almost come up with a name for them. The general theme is the most preening of strutting peacocks which should be a lot of fun and a good foil to the taciturn and dutiful nature of my other armies.

Very nice!

I'd leave the base until you've got a name and some background. That might inspire you (e.g. I decided on Eldar as my renegades' main foe, hence Eldarish basing eventually).

I do think snow might -along with that white armour- be a bit too much white.

A gritty, rubble-strewn city?

Anyway, the colours and painting look great.

Thanks Kier, that's a good point I'll need to give it some thought. There's no rush as I've not even decided on the army colours yet, it'd be better to have all three test models done so I can experiment with different versions of my basing scheme too. I like the idea of a city, I did get some Eldar bits a while ago with the intent of trophies so make I can pull off some conversion stuff?

So in light of this I think I'll get serious on working on their background and see if that can help me - I've mulled it over enough I just need to sort it out properly! Along with painting the second tester Marine of course but that might have to wait until after the Big Guns Never Tire event!

I've been working on the background when I have spare time not suitable for building or painting and it's starting to come together nicely. I've got to decide on a few ideas or scrapping others still but something I quite like the idea of is masks and colours. This isn't going to be like my other armies which have lots of models for mixing up squads, I want to have each squad a set thing which opens up the opportunity to make squads more unified.

Is something like a coloured shoulder pad something appropriate, or would it look too loyalist (especially as with the planned use of bits they're going to look a little loyalist anyway)? Sort of a thing where a squad claims a colour, gives themselves a name around it and "owns" is for all purposes - certainly from their own opinion :tongue.: As part of the experimenting and doing more I'm pondering GS masks for bare heads (have plenty spare from my Marines) - nothing fancy too though, at least to start with. In fact I was thinking of simple dome face masks that could have leering/odd faces painted on, or maybe a smattering of colour for some of the Marines such as the squad champion.

I think they'd both be quite cool ideas, but I wanted to check first to see what people thought :tongue.:

Thanks IP, there's still so many ideas I'm juggling at the moment :P For the list I'm thinking of going infantry heavy because I like the idea of lots of Marines (perhaps heresy for a tread head...). I really like the Raptor models and they'd fit my planned theme with a bit of de-spiking so I'm thinking of them and/or a Marine squad? I've not crunched any numbers yet as it seemed a bit early since I've yet to finalise my painting scheme. However I wouldn't mind some suggestions if anyone has any :)

That's a really good idea Lucio, thanks! When I said infantry heavy I meant just for the Kill Team list - should I expand the list beyond KT you can be sure that while I'd still like to field quite a few Marines there will definitely be vehicles :biggrin.: I will cross that bridge when I come to it, but again any recommendations or advice for non-infantry units in advance will be most welcome :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I had a really busy weekend, couldn't even get online yesterday (it's ok, now I'm on the B&C again the shakes have stopped). Getting behind on my hobby plans too :sad.: Hopefully I can get some background up soon at least :smile.:

I've been working on the back story, let me know what you think of the (very) rough first draft:

The Sundering Call

Seekers of The One, The Sundering, The Sunder

Nothing is know of the Sundering's origin, perhaps even unknown to all but the Praefactor himself. It is not an issue that concerns them, despite their propensity to recant their glories and histories with little provocation but this is not the first of their hypocrisies. Clad in a varied mix of armour marks from any source, coloured by halves in pink and white they seek the thrill of battle above all else; but they are no mere Khornate dogs for they care only for the greatest of battles. An easy battle, or a boring fight is enough to have them snub action altogether. Sometimes the greatest insult is to not consider the enemy worth fighting, and the Sunder are keen on insult and mockery almost as much as artful bloodshed.

To be a Marine in the Sunder is to value beauty above all else, even your own life. All battles are but a prelude to a the next, greater fight where more dramatic feats are awaiting performance. It is not enough to slay your foe, it must be done with élan not seen elsewhere. If another in your squad kills in a certain way, it would be unbecoming to use the same move - unless of course you did so with more grace. This is the second of Sunder's loves; the art of the insult for beauty can be found in words too. A sharp wit can make a duel all the sweeter; it is no coincidence they consider also themselves far more intelligent than others and frequently enjoy talking down to their foes before (or after) a fight.

The Sundering travel far and wide in their search for the most epic of battles and foes, with no cares for particular alliances or forging anything further than bloodshed in battle. Such a nomadic attitude is fitting as they would soon outstay their welcome otherwise, considering that they think their word need not be kept to lesser beings (which in their opinion is everyone). What is a new enemy made other than another elegant death to create later? Even so they will hire themselves out for whatever they may have need of, or often simply join in a fight to take what they want or need. They have no compunction on turning on those they fought with, ironically the better their erstwhile ally the more like they are to do so once the day is won for surely such strength would make a fine foe?

You are defined by your opponents, so only the greatest of enemies can allow you to demonstrate your superiority. So does the Sunder travel the galaxy, seeing in the mirror the grandest of peacocks yet behaving like the lowest of vultures. Beauty has an ugly side, after all.

The Praefactor

Master of the Toll, Keeper of Oaths, Scion of Perfection

The leader of the Sunder claims the enviable position of Praefactor, responsible for all things and absolute in more. To have such control is perhaps unusual, but it may only be kept as long as he maintains the perfection required - the merest of a slip in the façade and he will be challenged in ritualised combat. It says much that the Praefactor Yjun has not only reigned supreme for countless centuries but has never fought a challenge. Some say he has always lead the Sundering Call, something he does nothing to deny (and perhaps, subtly encourages?).

As is fitting he is the living embodiment of the warband; preening on appearances, quick with words and always eminently pleased with himself. This of course would not be enough to lead, for he constantly strives for greater feats as is befitting of a follower of Slaanesh. Grand gestures in battle are his preference, sometimes refusing to even enter combat before finding a worthy foe and at others charging into combat and spilling blood because he wishes to try something different. Beauty comes in many forms, but to Yjun this is only himself and - sometimes - the manner in which his foes die.

Changing his mind often, making decisions purely because it amuses him and treating others as expendable pawns for his own greater glory he truly is the face of the Sunder. That others even contemplate hiring such an fickle and dangerous group says much for their battle ability, or perhaps the Praefactor's silver tongue...

Not bad for a first go, I think I'm working the themes in ok so I've got something to build upon. It's a lot of fun thinking up ways they can be dastardly megalomaniacs and generally all round horrible people :laugh.: I think the names are about right too, I'm pleased with the Praefactor as it is a little mix of his roles but the warband name could be subject to change, though it sounds suitably pompous for them :tongue.: Any pointers or ideas welcome, hopefully they come across as the massive :censored: the are :tongue.::thumbsup:

I'm going to assume no news is (mostly) good news in this case :tongue.: Sadly time is precious at the moment so I've not had time to delve into the second model but it's not all bad as I've been ploughing through other tasks and making headway, so the light at the end of the tunnel grows ever closer :biggrin.: In the meantime I will find snatch time to develop their story some more, including a Slaaneshi sorcerer as some ideas for one have been coalescing. I'd like to run one in my army at some point too :smile.:

As always I welcome any comments etc to help, especially as I'm still new to Chaos. Maybe if I'm really lucky I'll progress them enough to add to the Excessive Perfection topic :thumbsup:

I read it earlier this week but didn't have chance to comment.

The background looks good. They certainly seem to fit the Slaaneshi bill, and the Praefactor's holding of command only so log as he keeps the warband happy is fitting.

If you do flesh out their background in the future... how they fell and who they used to be, I'd be very interested to read it.

Thanks Kier, I've not thought about where they came from that much yet which is why it currently sits as an unknown. I think I might write them in with the rest of my armies as they're all interconnected so no point excluding the Sunder from that theme :) Maybe they dabbled too much, or started straying off the path and the Inquisitor comes in to tidy things up but sanction ending up pushing them into the arms of Slaanesh?

I'll work on their individuality too, try and keep it within the theme of their fickle and contrary nature. For example some view mutation or augmentations as ugly and detestable, while others find them rather nifty etc - more importantly giving me lots of modelling opportunity to try my hand at :D

• 2 months later...

Good morning brothers, guess who's been making the most of the lovely sunshine? Good progress on test model 2 with a different approach:

gallery_30308_10249_22129.jpg

Until I got the base for the gold on I wasn't at all happy with the new method of poking the colour towards the edges (as if they couldn't be bothered to lead in) but it's looking better now there's something to contrast it with. This time the wash on the pink is Reikland, gives it a different and more pinkish look compared to the Fuegan. I'm hoping to get this Marine finished in the coming week but it depends on other tasks as to how early that may be.

I've also been working on their background and I've got the overall bits sorted I think, at least for the first draft but it needs converting into decent prose before posting. Or at least as decent as I can manage :tongue.: Now the season is over and daylight hours I will be making much better progress, ETL notwithstanding of course!

Here is my rough first draft for the Sunder's background, or at least their fall... please let me know what you think! If I've done it right you should be able to see the clear parallels between what they were and what they become. Perhaps not the most original thing but I felt it appropriate to what I wanted them to be :smile.:

The Swords of Victory were once a paragon of heroism; a chapter of no small accomplishment. Heroic and selfless, winning countless great victories over every foe imaginable their deeds in battle were matched by their grace and humility in peace. Staying to help not only rebuild but also improve life once the battle was won they were beloved by all who knew them and lauded among the greatest of heroes. While strategic commanders could only voice in private their displeasure at the limited number of battles they would fight none could doubt the results of their actions and the spectacular victories they provided.

It is without surprise that the grateful peoples would want to honour their saviours; statues would be raised for their victories and songs written to praise their name. Over time the Swords did come to appreciate these acts of thanks but this would be the seed that would eventually result in their fall. For what once started as acknowledgement of gratitude did then become appreciation and finally expectation of the adulation they received. In time this devotion would become more important than the victory that earned it.

The Swords always has a grace about them in appearance and action, squads and brothers would compete for glory but this took a more sinister aspect once their attitude to victory changed. It was no longer about friendly rivalry and skill and become a direct competition regardless of the consequences. What was once battles won in the most efficient way to preserve life became a race to see who could take the most. Ironically this fervent desire to be better and more impressive only lead to lightning quick victories that gave Imperial commanders the fast victories they craved, without care for how it came about. The name of the Swords became praised to new heights but it was not enough.

Surely it was time for them to be proclaimed the greatest of all, as is clearly proper? Surely this was only fair? Not only did they prosecute campaigns in less time than others but they did so with grace that other brutish chapters could never hope to achieve. Such greatness must be rewarded and so it became, but through the attention of Slaanesh. It was not just the Prince of Excess who noticed the Swords though, but also the glaring eye of the Inquisition that turned upon them...

Perhaps foreseeing what may be the Holy Inquisition of the Emperor deemed the Swords needed to be brought to account for their actions. The Sword's Chapter Master was indignant and sent their representatives away with no small threats should they return, but it was a ruse and distraction letting spies report far more than the Sword's inhospitality to their master. Without delay a fleet is assembled to enforce the Inquisition's will; regiments of the Guard are joined by Sisters of the Sacred Rose and 6 companies of the Legio Venator Space Marines - headed by the Inquisitor Lord himself and his personal retainers.

The Swords are incandescent with rage that anyone would presume to hold sway over their domain and challenge their authority like this. Their fall is complete when they turn their guns on the Imperium without responding to hails. The people of their home world rushed to the defence of their heroes, sacrificing themselves without thought in any way they could. The corruption of Slaanesh became ever more apparent as the Imperial forces pressed onwards finding every man, woman and child they meet a belligerent foe that must be slain. Before long the taint of Chaos is clear and the Emperor's warriors fight ever harder as the planet is drenched blood for every inch.

Despite their skill at battle - and their opinion of such - it was a battle impossible for the Swords to win once the Eldar mysteriously appeared to aid the attackers. Whether joining to fight the mutual foe of Chaos or to repay one of the many bloody victories the Swords had gained over the Eldar it sent the scales of battle crashing against them. The Inquisitor had chosen his forces well, what's more displayed an unusual flair for strategy; the forces at his command were grim and determined, resisting the powers of Chaos and resolute in executing the Emperor's will no matter what. Every sally by the Swords was pushed back with righteous faith and fire power - the unthinkable was happening and the Swords of Victory were losing, and losing badly.

The rage of their Chapter Master at admitting defeat was said to have been terrible to behold and the survivors fled to the warp, leaving their world and its people to the cleansing fire of the Imperium - and taking their souls to Slaanesh. None of the survivors talk of their previous life, the shame of their first defeat burns brightly even to this day. That the Inquisitor declared this result a great success perhaps suggests some greater threat to the Imperium was avoided but the truth can never be known.

While the Sunder may well cast aside this part of their history the Imperium has not forgotten; it is widely known that the forces of the Emperor involved in the initial crusade are all too eager to catch up with them once more to finish what they started...

I'm probably going to regret typing all this up late in the day when I'm tired, but everything starts somewhere! So forgive any glaring errors :laugh.: I'm planning to get some more tester model work done as little breaks during the ETL so with a bit of luck I'll be able to jump straight into pink and white afterwards :thumbsup:

I enjoyed the story of the fall of the Swords of victory. Personally, I think it captures how such a seemingly benign act, such as graciously accepting praise and honors, can lead to the downfall of a chapter. This captures the tone of the setting well.

One idea you may wish to revisit in the future, is what happens on the worlds saved by the Swords in the past? The worlds that would have fallen victim to the foul enemies of mankind, had it not been for their heroes, heroes that they rightly memorialized. What happens when the Inquisition seeks to purge the records and monuments from these worlds? Sure some of them will, out of fear of the Inquisition comply, but will a seed of rebellion be planted when say parents see the statue of the angel that saved their child's life ripped down by a heavy handed inquisitorial task force? Will some worlds refuse the orders of the Inquisition, unwilling to betray the memory and honor of their saviors, even if it means drastic consequences? Will the newly enlightened Sundered care? Will they not care but exploit this part of their past to their own advantage? At the very least you should have some background for cultist you may wish to field.

Thanks Carrack, I had another read of it now I've slept and it's not too bad though could do with some improvements in the prose. That's a great idea so I'll work that in for the next piece which will be more about the present day (or rather as "present day" as you get in 40k). Though I have no plans to include cultists that may change eventually and it makes sense to add this to the background :)

• 2 weeks later...

In between working on some Ratlings for the ETL I finished off my second tester model. Here he is next to the first for comparison:

gallery_30308_10249_25628.jpg

I think the extra effort in getting the spikier/enhanced black edging isn't worth it. It doesn't look all that much different, less so from playing distance. Comparing the two I prefer the left pink with the Fuegan wash, it looks a bit warmer and brighter. As to the third test model I'm not sure how to progress as I was hoping completing the second would give me an idea of what to try next or to mix and match but that's not the case it seems.

Maybe I will come back to it and decide after some time to think, but I am liking seeing more than one together. I really like the scheme they will definitely stand out on the table top (just as they would want!) :)

• 1 month later...

This week I've been working on assembling a "bits list" of pieces I can use for the Sunder. There's a few things I don't like about Chaos: the excessive points/horns and I'm not fond of the gloved hands. I'm going to go with a mix of 30k/loyalist/CSM bits and I've come up with a few ideas. Once the ETL is over I will be devoting time to my Knight, but I want to return to this too as the Knight will be a slow burn project :smile.:

These torsos look nice and clean, fitting the aesthetic I have in mind. I'm thinking of normal Marine arms (also would fit nicely for using 30k heavy weapons as planned), and possibly a mix of leg types? The Chaos legs might be a bit too different so I'll have to give it some thought. I want to use fancier shoulder pads, so these will be a mix but I plan on mostly using Chaos pads - but not the symbol ones.

That leaves helmets, but is seems FW wanted to help me out with a timely email today! The Alpha Legion heads are great, I think they'd be a great fit. I did wonder about some of the others 30k heads but I don't want them to look too HH. I've also come up with a good counts as Beserkers idea which I will detail once I've hammered the plan out a bit more.

How does this sound? I like the general plan but I feel a little more Chaos might be a good idea. Perhaps in using Chaos backpacks and weapons this can be rounded off neatly? I don't want them to be obviously Chaos from first look but equally I already have a loyalist chapter so I don't want them looking similar (pink and white aside :tongue.: ).