I'd need a lot more Sanguinary Guard bits to do Warp Talons as well with MkIV packs, but they're not in my plans currently. While the claws would suit the Sunder nicely and look cool I've always thought they were a little too niche. One of those units that will evaporate something then get shot to ribbons because they're too dangerous...

I might get a box of Raptors, add some spice to the squads (spikes removed naturally!) and give me some different weapon arms and the like.

The Raptor kit is lovely and generates all sorts of extra bitz for you to use down the line. Although painting all that detailed baroque Chaos filigree almost caused me to pull my hair out. :)

I removed the trim from the left arm and left leg of my newest squad of Raptors which, on reflection, probably took longer than it would’ve taken to paint the trim! :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's batrep time!

750pts vs Black Legion

Grudge match boogaloo

The Sunder

Hidden Content
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [750pts] ++

Gametype: Matched

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince with Wings [180pts]: 3. Unholy Fortitude, Intoxicating Elixir, Malefic talon, Warlord
Slaanesh: Diabolic Strength

Sorcerer [98pts]: Bolt pistol, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Infernal Gaze, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [165pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

Chaos Space Marines [165pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Plasma pistol, Power sword
7x Marine w/ Chainsword
Marine w/ Plasma pistol: Chainsword, Plasma pistol
Marine w/ special weapon: Meltagun

Chaos Space Marines [142pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
Aspiring Champion: Chainsword, Combi-bolter
8x Marine w/ Boltgun
Marine w/ heavy weapon: Heavy bolter

Black Legion

Hidden Content
Abaddon

5 x CSM

- Power fist

- Plasma gun

6x Terminators

- stuff

Helbrute

- Reaper

- Missile launcher

Deployment

Here's the thing with going Marine heavy... you feel like a Guard player as you keep having to go second? :confused: Things are kept fairly simple, no need to gallivanting around the board and nobody has the numbers for it anyway.

gallery_30308_10077_15092.jpg

gallery_30308_10077_86528.jpg

Turn 1

Advancing, shooting and Helbrute fire frenzy takes out four from the bolter squad which isn't a great start. It gets better in my turn as I shuffle up a bit and unleash the dice, killing four Terminators. That's a trade I'll take!

gallery_30308_10077_35539.jpg

Turn 2

Here things get a little less so. The rest of the bolter squad is removed leaving my Daemon Prince to take some Fire Frenzy from the Helbrute losing a few wounds. As such it's time to move so I move up with everything and pour powers and shooting into the Terminators removing them. The DP saved Diabolic Strength for himself and charges in, reducing Abaddon badly but with his special rule halving damage he's still in the fight, and D3 damage against a 5++ doesn't end well for the Prince :sad.:

It was a gamble worth taking and dealt enough damage to give the rest of my forces a fighting chance, but I was hoping for him to do a bit more and/or survive the turn. Still all to play for!

Turn 3

Abaddon and the CSM shoot and charge my right squad, having no real difficulty in wiping the unit, though the Champ takes two CSM down before he goes. Abaddon is too far away to consolidate in, but the CSM can reach both squad and Sorcerer. Things are looking bad, but I have a cunning plan...

The Sorcerer Smites and Infernal Gazes two of the CSM down (with a re-roll on double 6s). I then pull the Daemon Bolt Stratagem... and miss. Another re-roll sees him finish the squad off, so now my CSM squad is free to shoot Abaddon! Sadly shooting isn't great - the melta failing as apparently usual - but I take him from three to two wounds. Manageable in combat?

gallery_30308_10077_7815.jpg

So do we charge and pile in; last time it was bolters for Abaddon let's see if chainswords can do the same...

gallery_30308_10077_49097.jpg

So they do. He's down to his last wound and has six save dice - there's a single one and it's second time unlucky.

Turn 4

The Sunder advance up the table but it'll take a couple of turns. Some Crazed return fire doesn't help, but I have the numbers still and crucially the Sorcerer (even if Smite does let the Helbrute shoot in the psychic phase and Delightful Agonies continues to do nothing). At least the melta woke up and hit for four damage.

gallery_30308_10077_72927.jpg

Turn 5

The Helbrute can't muster the fire power to stop the Marines, and bundling into combat it loses its last wound to a falling power sword. Victory to the Sunder!

gallery_30308_10077_51862.jpg

I like the increased CP count for Battalions, made quite a difference and made it more rewarding for taking a "proper" army. Certainly helped me win the game! As did having a couple of psykers. While I'm enjoying using them as I've never really used psychic powers prior to the Sunder, I do feel it's a bit too much of a necessity. Either hitting hard against big nasties or simply as a counter to opposition psykers leaving home without them is hard. Not to mention surrendering an entire phase to your opponent :confused:

The Daemon Prince did quite well for a first game, wasn't the best game for him really but he made sufficient difference so I can surely expect better results to come :smile.: Next up Maulershrimp methinks, it's time I painted something larger...

Thanks chaps, but don't worry about Abaddon. He started it so this is getting what he deserves :wink: I rolled well for Smite first turn getting a D6, so aided with some failed saves against a bolter and the heavy bolter that was enough to thin out Abaddon's meat shield bodyguard nicely. Probably the first block building to victory, as dealing with Abaddon is hard enough as it is so not having to worry about more 2+ saves and power weapons made a big difference.

I may be in a unique situation in that there are psykers everywhere in often in number. From BA who've long taken them to GK and now nids if I don't bring something I'm a big phase down every game, not to mention all the various things they can do. With decent pyskers and useful powers for Chaos I really need to be asking myself why I won't take them!

The Sunder aren't ones to rest on their laurels - there's new ones to get after all :wink: A very busy but productive weekend has seen me accomplish a lot, including a fair bit on the Maulershrimp (that's his official name now):

gallery_30308_10249_21126.jpg

Most of the grunt work is almost done, at this stage the model should be down to some layers and lots of washing for the most part. Granted there's a lot of model to be doing these on but I am enjoying painting him and know what I want to do so expect to make good progress. The issue will be the base as I might have to get a bit creative to make sure he lines up nicely however it's a large base so would benefit from any creativity to help break it up :smile.:

Poor Cultists. You're definitely next. Unless my Treadheadness overtakes and I start working on the Rhino. I can make no guarantees :laugh.:

Abaddon never dies in our games WarriorFish you know the rules.... -smokebomb!- ;)

Our grudge matches are starting to become a solid background story for our armies I feel, the upstart fledgling Chaos turncoats facing the jaded veterans!

BCC

Thanks brothers! It doesn't help that the Escher models have a fair bit of detail too so I didn't make things easy for myself... same old story then? :tongue.: Seems Cultists are destined to be expendable both on and off the table.

Our grudge matches are starting to become a solid background story for our armies I feel, the upstart fledgling Chaos turncoats facing the jaded veterans!

Well, I can see that working well for my background at least :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

With another productive weekend on and off the hobby table I've made a lot of progress since the last picture:

gallery_30308_10249_10212.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_9011.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_1703.jpg

Very pleased with the progress, will be done soon at this rate :biggrin.: The model is nice to paint though there was a lot of gold and flesh to keep me busy :tongue.: I do have one last hurdle in the base as that will be a bit fiddly to do with the model glued on but I've got an idea on how to split it up :smile.:

Thanks, I did some research and they were made to be glowing in most cases so I thought why not use the eye piece colours? The model doesn't have them anywhere else so it made sense :smile.: Presumably they're some power conduit thingy or something.

I got some basic prep work done on the base, and last night glued the model and finished the texturing so tonight will be the last bits and the model will be complete :biggrin.:

Maulershrimp is finished! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_10249_6747.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_95929.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_87910.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_46790.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_44974.jpg

gallery_30308_10249_40438.jpg

Base turned out nicely, though it has almost killed my Astrogranite pot! Overall I think the model really came together so I'm very happy with how it turned out :biggrin.: Water effect is still setting and seems to have made some funny colours on the base but that helps give it some definition so works (don't ask me to do it again though?).

This is not only the first vehicle for the Sunder, but also marks 1500pts of CSM officially! Took me a while but it was worth it, I'll need to work on more vehicles to help the shrimp out lest he be singled out but I have some Raptors on the horizon too (thanks, I suppose? :laugh.: ). Plus the Cultists, can't forget them :tongue.: